• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS unboxing photos - 6 of AR card Revealed~(Interesting)

BowieZ said:
You do realize the card doesn't need to store data to achieve this?

Well, no, but the AR app would need to store a lot of data in order to recognize each card and display the appropriate game content. If Nintendo or anyone else launches such a title (which will probably happen at some point), they'd be more likely to release it as a stand-alone retail product than to update the preinstalled AR Games app (which may well get new content eventually, but most likely only limited minigames using the bundled cards).

Spwn

Kind of offtopic, but maybe someone here can answer this.

Unexpectedly, the most interesting feature in 3DS (apart from StreetPass and, of coure, 3D) for me is the pedometer. What kind of software does the 3DS have for statistics and such? Is it just the coin system or will it also provide something similar to Walk With Me, the DS software that came with an "activity meter"?

Dreamwriter said:
It doesn't say Nintendogs only works with the question mark card in that Iwata Asks (though I admit we could be missing something from the translation from the original Japanese).

But note I did say that the question mark card has one difference that the 3DS should be able to pick up - the color of the "cube" behind the image is yellow, while the other cards it's blue. But unfortunately there's nothing else different on the cards that would easily be able to be picked up by a 640x480 camera being held a couple feet away at an odd angle.
i thought you had to 'start' the game at 20 cms, or 2/3rds of a foot?

Black-Wind said:

that quote doesn't say 6 games though.

i hope it is, but i take more from the multiple boxes coming out of the ? card than i do the fact it comes with six cards.

Glix

The Iwata asks with the Designers and Mechanical Engineers is fucking fascinating.

The beige Nintendo coats they wear look like Dharma jumpsuits.

plagiarize said:
i thought you had to 'start' the game at 20 cms, or 2/3rds of a foot?
I thought it was 30cm. But yeah the 640*480 is the problem here regarding detailed designs (higher resuoltions woludn't so much help with the range as the cameras laenses would be small and it might be a processing strain having to process a larger image, still feels like Nintendo being cheap).

heringer

Next Pokemon game will come with 2 AR cards and people who want to play multiplayer will have a blast. Well, except maybe pirates.

It would also be interesting to see third party games packing cards like that as a bonus. Maybe collector's editions?

plagiarize said:
that quote doesn't say 6 games though.

i hope it is, but i take more from the multiple boxes coming out of the ? card than i do the fact it comes with six cards.
I only quoted that to get people to look at the link.

In the vid he talks about the 6 cards and calling them AR games and in the past he has said that there are 6 ar games that come packed in.

Plus, if you look at them, they say "A-1/ A-2/ A-3" and so on. And the box is the first game we have seen.

Cmagus

the cards are cool it would be cool if one came packed in with every game.Imagine Layton having some kind of puzzle where you'd have to use the AR card to find a clue or something that could be pretty damn cool.

Santiako

heringer said:
Next Pokemon game will come with 2 AR cards and people who want to play multiplayer will have a blast. Well, except maybe pirates.

It would also be interesting to see third party games packing cards like that as a bonus. Maybe collector's editions?

You can print the card and it will work the same.

heringer said:
Well, except maybe pirates.
What makes you think a print-out won't work?
or that will be piracy for 3DS. It'll be rock solid security-wise and NOE will be dictate to me what I can play and when I expect to play it (if ever) thanks to the nesecary evil of region locking.

The 640*480 cameras limit any potential for detailed designs.

Santiako

Glix said:
Can we get a Maradona card?

2h4cmsy.jpg

Spwn said:
Unexpectedly, the most interesting feature in 3DS (apart from StreetPass and, of coure, 3D) for me is the pedometer. What kind of software does the 3DS have for statistics and such? Is it just the coin system or will it also provide something similar to Walk With Me, the DS software that came with an "activity meter"?
Nintendo have said nothing as far as I'm aware.

A walk with my style app bulit in would be interesting. I have a feeling Nintendo will want to charge you for it though, I put nothing past Nintendo after the Mario Clock (don't you need this for an alarm clock in the DSi?) and Animal Crossing Calculator.

Cmagus said:
Imagine Layton having some kind of puzzle where you'd have to use the AR card to find a clue or something that could be pretty damn cool.
A more literal form of the Ni no Kuni book. It could be annoying to flick through a deck of cards. Still it could be cool to have a pack of AR cards integrated into a sort of hint system for a game. As in using them and you no longer get cool status (kind of Super Giude appearing and 5* in NSMBW saves).

Also I'm getting vibes of Startopics dunk the manual in water and the close the DS puzzle thats appaeared in a few games.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dreamwriter said:
Keep in mind different cards have nothing to do with what game an AR system plays. Any game should be able to use any card, it's not like there's game code stored on the card.

I'd bet $5 that the cards look different just to be collectible, and don't represent different AR games.
You just lost $5.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Imperial Hot said:
A Pikmin AR game would be insane. Rounding up all the Pikmin on your desk or the floor of your living room would be RIDICULOUS!
People will share their pikmin pictures on a pikmin web portal. Pikmin pictures everywhere.

I can't unsee this coming :)

Iwata had this to say about AR cards/games:"The inclusion of such preinstalled software, the attraction of which can be readily realised by those people even without prior interest in Nintendo 3DS, will hopefully be able to work in a similar way that the bundling of Wii Sports worked for Wii in the US and in Europe. This is the reason why we allocated our (development) resources in this fashion for this time."

If Nintendo characters AR cards are integrated into mini games, I can definitely see where his Wii Sports comparison comes from. Lots of people will fall for it.

heringer

I wonder if we could see Square-Enix selling AR cards of Dragon Quest monsters in Japan. Like a Yugioh thing. They would obviously have to sell the game separately, but that wouldn't be a problem.

Am I tripping too much?

DarkPanda

The box is a lot bigger than I expected, but I guess they do have to fit in the cradle and whatever is going on with that weird-ass plug.

webrunner

That looks like Smash Bros art for mario isn't it? They don't have the full circle around the nose except in Smash Bros n64.

webrunner said:
That looks like Smash Bros art for mario isn't it? They don't have the full circle around the nose except in Smash Bros n64.
No, it's not. Looks a lot like just recent official drawn art of him. The original Smash Bros. artwork looked like this.
K5rBE.png

Starwolf_UK said:
I thought it was 30cm. But yeah the 640*480 is the problem here regarding detailed designs (higher resuoltions woludn't so much help with the range as the cameras laenses would be small and it might be a processing strain having to process a larger image, still feels like Nintendo being cheap).
it won't be looking for the character, it'll be looking for the blue shape behind them. imagine that you completely black out the character. you're left with distinctive blue shapes that should be resolvable at 640 x 480 and at 30 cm.

after you've identified the card, you can just follow the black outline, which should be fairly easy when you've got the two cameras and the gyros etc helping with the motion side of things.

heck i'd argue that those other cards explain the 30 cm requirement. always sounded quite close to me.

plagiarize said:
it won't be looking for the character, it'll be looking for the blue shape behind them. imagine that you completely black out the character. you're left with distinctive blue shapes that should be resolvable at 640 x 480 and at 30 cm.

after you've identified the card, you can just follow the black outline, which should be fairly easy when you've got the two cameras and the gyros etc helping with the motion side of things.
And that shape is far, far too detailed for a 640x480 resolution camera at an angle to figure out. If the images had really hard-edge, high contrast edges, then sure, maybe, but they don't, except Kirby.

ghibli99

Funny that I looked at what else was on the desk before I looked at the 3DS. LOL

I like it... definitely can't wait!

Deku

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
And that shape is far, far too detailed for a 640x480 resolution camera at an angle to figure out. If the images had really hard-edge, high contrast edges, then sure, maybe, but they don't, except Kirby.

All the characters set set inside the profile of a cube, so if the camera is only looking at the black background, they could easily identify the differing profile shapes.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Dreamwriter said:

That's plenty of resolution for pattern recognition algorithms to work with.

aparisi2274

The ? AR card is target practice mini game.

When you lay the card out on the table, the ? Box pops up off the card and opens itself to reveal a target which you need to shoot. As you progress, you need to shoot more and more targets, some are actually hidden in the hole that the ?box creates when it jumps off the card. Eventually you need to battle a dragon boss that comes up through that hole.

It's kinda cool!! Can't wait to see what the other boxes do.

Top Bottom