• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we get get a decision on yellow hue crap?
Honestly it's probably from the Vita fan camera but it may affect my purchase.

Also I take back calling blue the color of sadness lol soz

Wolfe

Marks as in scratches, or marks as in smudge?

I've tried pressing the top screen down a couple of times, and the screens don't touch even then. It seems that there needs to be a lot of pressure for the screens to touch, so much that I feel that I'd be more worried about breaking the top screen than the screens touching and leaving marks.

My 3DS on the other hand doesn't need any pressure applied at all. The screens touch as soon as it's closed.

Honestly I was a big advocate for the screen scratching issue when it was first brought to light, but after having owned a 3DS for over a year now I think it was an issue that affected very few people and wasn't actually a big deal at all. Vocal minority kind of thing.

My experience, as someone that carries his 3DS around in his back pocket all the time (think about how much it gets pressed together while going up stairs in that situation) and the worst I've gotten was easily removeable smudges.

Everytime I see someone bring it up I always assume they either never had the issue themselves or that they encountered the smudges and freaked out.

I'll possibly catch some flak for this post considering it is an actual issue (regardless of if it's still an active issue) that people have been affected by but I can't help but feel like it's become this bandwagon that everyone wants to jump on.

sakipon

My experience, as someone that carries his 3DS around in his back pocket all the time (think about how much it gets pressed together while going up stairs in that situation) and the worst I've gotten was easily removeable smudges.
Same here. I have a launch 3DS that gets the smudges but it still hasn't turned to anything worse. I feel for the ones that had serious issues with their unit, but I do think the problem isn't nearly as widespread as people make it sound.

bitoriginal

Full brightness, no power saving (not my 3DSes):

Oh well. Nothing's perfect.

edit: although it seems like some have a nice screen indeed.

Mine is fairly similar to yours. It's far more noticeable when put next to the old 3DS. I've been playing my XL for days now and I'm used to it. Doesn't seem to make games look any different, it's just the menu screen that suffers. Not sure whether it's intended to be like this or not to be honest.

M3d10n

Honestly I was a big advocate for the screen scratching issue when it was first brought to light, but after having owned a 3DS for over a year now I think it was an issue that affected very few people and wasn't actually a big deal at all. Vocal minority kind of thing.

Everytime I see someone bring it up I always assume they either never had the issue themselves or that they encountered the smudges and freaked out.

I'll possibly catch some flak for this post considering it is an actual issue (regardless of if it's still an active issue) that people have been affected by but I can't help but feel like it's become this bandwagon that everyone wants to jump on.

The ironic thing about the screen scratching is that using screen protectors actually exacerbates the problem since some brands add significantly extra thickness to the top screen, making it more likely for it to touch the bottom bezel and thus having a greater chance to affect the very people who are more paranoid about scratches.

Eusis

The ironic thing about the screen scratching is that using screen protectors actually exacerbates the problem since some brands add significantly extra thickness to the top screen, making it more likely for it to touch the bottom bezel and thus having a greater chance to affect the very people who are more paranoid about scratches.
But if it keeps the screen itself from being scratched then I'd think it's an acceptable tradeoff, as you can just replace it later. I'd make sure to stick with a solid brand though, I don't think/hope Hori's problematic there, but I'll need to remove and replace mine first to verify.

NeoRausch

If you're using the built in speakers for most of your gaming, you're doing something wrong.

Yeah that. Either my handheld is silent or i have earphones plugged iin.
they just should get rid of speakers and make the screen even bigger! :)

i also have to post some OG vs. XL comparsion shot tomorrow.

If my screen would be this yellow i would return the system. Period.

Same here. I have a launch 3DS that gets the smudges but it still hasn't turned to anything worse. I feel for the ones that had serious issues with their unit, but I do think the problem isn't nearly as widespread as people make it sound.

The smudges on my 3DS just turned into some small scratches today, not good. Luckily I live right next to Nintendo, though my 3DS is a launch one, so the warranty has already expired.

The XL demo units in the Netherlands seem to have a problem. They have very strong metal clamps on them which seem to be warping the 3D display a bit, causing interference patterns, even when you are in the sweet spot. Move the system slightly and you'll see a slanted pattern of '3D stains' moving left and right. The regular 3DS next to it didn't seem to suffer from this, probably because the upper display is somewhat more sturdy.
This doesn't make good advertising for the XL.

Chopper

Anyone buy a unit from Game today? I managed to blag a pretty sweet deal where I got an extra £10 off their £199.99 bundle with a voucher that the nice young lady assistant told me expired at the end of the day. I never saw this voucher, she just added the discount. Was she getting fresh with me, or did anyone else have this fortune?

weredog

Neo Member
Nor have I noticed any speaker issues. It's not deafeningly loud, no, but it's certainly not crackly or squeaky. Maybe I just got lucky, but my XL feels like an improvement on my original in almost every way?

That is exactly what I think

dbWhi.jpg

dat yellow tint.

Is it really that bad?

Why does that remind me of Gameboy Color lol

pokemon%20blue%20gameboy%20color.jpg

7141675757_ea7a732cc5.jpg

Eh, I may not be getting one of these things for a while.

The big screen is fantastic, but I absolutely can't stand yellow tint. Also the low quality speakers, and the continued screen scratching thing... I guess I'll have to wait.

Drago

Eh, I may not be getting one of these things for a while.

The big screen is fantastic, but I absolutely can't stand yellow tint. Also the low quality speakers, and the continued screen scratching thing... I guess I'll have to wait.
Don't forget the lack of a White color!

I will be seriously pissed off if I don't have one a year from now

Don't forget the lack of a White color!

I will be seriously pissed off if I don't have one a year from now

Yeah, but at this point I wouldn't buy any color. Not even a beautiful transparant one. Nintendo's quality control is usually much better than this, they've really been slipping lately.

Fredrik

I sat with my blue 3dsxl right next to my wifrs regular black 3ds last night transfering her whole pokedex over. Give-Get-Give-Get, one by one, ugh! up to 106 Pokemon... and it took at least an hour so I had lots of time thinking about the differences.

And...
The sound is identical from what I could hear, so I don't get the complaints at all on that.
The colors are pretty much identical too, the yellowish tint talked about here can hardly be seen at all even when having them side by side.

pickiness or faulty units out there?

One thing though. The lower PPI is quite noticable. There are actually black lines shown between the pixels on the xl if you look really really closely, it's like the pixels don't quite "connect", it's a black grid behind them, if that makes any sense. :p

mmitt

I noticed a bit of yellow tint when I look at the screen from an angle above, but not if I'm looking directly at it.

Mine looks great when used "properly", perfectly white.

MarkusRJR

The white 3DS is prettier than all of the 3DS XL colours. There, I said it.

I cancelled my pre-order and used the EB Games credit to buy a bunch of 360 games. Now I just need to use all of my restraint to wait for silver and then I might bite on the XL.

Drago

The white 3DS is prettier than all of the 3DS XL colours. There, I said it.

I cancelled my pre-order and used the EB Games credit to buy a bunch of 360 games. Now I just need to use all of my restraint to wait for silver and then I might bite on the XL.
Meh.

I think White 3DS XL is one of the prettiest DS's ever but maybe I'm just insane. The wait for it will be brutal but oh so worth it.

Cobalt Blue>Midnight Purple>Ice White as far as OG 3DS goes imo

StayDead

Isn't the yellow screen the exact same thing they did with the DSi? It's not a design fault it's just a warmer screen as far as I know and when looking directly at it and not a completely white image you really can't tell the difference apart from the colours are ever so slightly more vivid.

urfe

I went to Yodobashi yesterday and looked at one, and I honestly wasn't impressed at all (and I was looking forward to it since it was announced).

I can't stand the first position it clicks into. I'm never going to use it, and it felt really weird constantly hearing a big click as I open and close the device past that position.

Second, while it felt easier to hold, it definitely didn't look any better than the 3DS. I was imagining a big DS lite, which is quite the product (as are the DSi and DSiLL), but instead I found something that honestly looked quite cheap.

The low ppi also got to me, especially with NSMB. Mario Kart I felt worked better on the big screen, but (perhaps obviously) NSMB on the bigger screen looked as if it had the exact same graphics as the DS NSMB, which kind of felt like a let down. Monster Hunter didn't look too bad.

Lastly, with the lines/dot problem not going away (while those little bumps above the screen make the screens not touch, if you apply any sort of pressure when the device it closed they will (good old demo units!)).

So I think for now I'll be keeping old Aqua Blue, and continue to save my spending money for a white Vita.

Glad people are enjoying there's, but for me, the original still feels like the superior model. I hope the next revision is better, and then I'll think about trading in Aqua Blue for it.

I'm having a hard time understanding how this screen scratching issue could still be a problem. Don't the two nubs on the upper lid touch the highest point on the lower screen?

I've seen side view pictures where it was clear that the upper screen wasn't touching the lower screen so is this just yet another problem that can be solved by not wearing skinny jeans?

The low ppi also got to me, especially with NSMB. Mario Kart I felt worked better on the big screen, but (perhaps obviously) NSMB on the bigger screen looked as if it had the exact same graphics as the DS NSMB, which kind of felt like a let down. Monster Hunter didn't look too bad.

To be fair, the ppi crazyness was started by smartphone makers, the ppi of a 3DSXL is probably higher than anything you've got on your home TV or even on an arcade monitor in the 90s.

Eusis

To be fair, the ppi crazyness was started by smartphone makers, the ppi of a 3DSXL is probably higher than anything you've got on your home TV or even on an arcade monitor in the 90s.
PPI also matters WAY more on smartphones andt he like if you ask me. A sharp resolution is nice for a game: a sharp resolution is damn near a requirement for pleasant web browsing or book reading. I cared way, WAY more about a PPI bump for the iPad and tablets than I do for something like this, it'd just be nice for upscaling DS games at best.

-GJ-

Is there any chance they're going to bring Secret of Mana to the VC? I still need to play it and I don't wanna play it on a SNES PC emulator. (Don't own a SNES, nor a TV on which I can connect a SNES).

So do we know if US stores started getting their shipments in? Keeping my fingers crossed that somebody might end up breaking the street date...

Is there any chance they're going to bring Secret of Mana to the VC? I still need to play it and I don't wanna play it on a SNES PC emulator. (Don't own a SNES, nor a TV on which I can connect a SNES).
It's already on the Wii VC.

If you mean the 3DS VC, they haven't announced SNES VC yet, so you may be waiting a while.

I got mine! the new screen is not just a incremental improvement it is almost a game changer in my case. Unlike the original 3ds This handheld is a joy to use. I have pretty much stop considering a vita for a while. Yeah the pixels are there but you know what they look beautiful. Shame at the moment I only have Ghost Recon and Tales of Abyss I dont think any of them is good to show off the screen. Maybe a demo from the store?

Ghost23

I got mine! the new screen is not just a incremental improvement it is almost a game changer in my case. Unlike the original 3ds This handheld is a joy to use. I have pretty much stop considering a vita for a while. Yeah the pixels are there but you know what they look beautiful. Shame at the moment I only have Ghost Recon and Tales of Abyss I dont think any of them is good to show off the screen. Maybe a demo from the store?

I'd say the KH3D demo would be good to show off the screen.

So do we know if US stores started getting their shipments in? Keeping my fingers crossed that somebody might end up breaking the street date...

Still three weeks away. You'll probably find it a week before. Jeremy Parish did do an unboxing video of the NA version though.

urfe

I'm having a hard time understanding how this screen scratching issue could still be a problem. Don't the two nubs on the upper lid touch the highest point on the lower screen?

I've seen side view pictures where it was clear that the upper screen wasn't touching the lower screen so is this just yet another problem that can be solved by not wearing skinny jeans?

If you take it in your hand closed, and press down lightly on the centre of the device, the two screens can bend and easily touch each other.

I would have thought that would have very little affect, but if people are having problems, I assume that when its in their bag or pocket, the centre of the device is being squished (also a case with games in it can do this too perhaps) and they touch.

The screens aren't touching when closed, and even with some pressure they aren't touching. In a pair of skinny jeans there might be enough pressure that make them touch, but why anyone would force down a handheld in a pocket that clearly is a very tight fit is beyond me.

It's not like we know there will be scratches even if the screens touch either. A slight touch isn't going to do anything.

If you take it in your hand closed, and press down lightly on the centre of the device, the two screens can bend and easily touch each other.

I would have thought that would have very little affect, but if people are having problems, I assume that when its in their bag or pocket, the centre of the device is being squished (also a case with games in it can do this too perhaps) and they touch.

The screens aren't touching when closed, and even with some pressure they aren't touching. In a pair of skinny jeans there might be enough pressure that make them touch, but why anyone would force down a handheld in a pocket that clearly is a very tight fit is beyond me.

It's not like we know there will be scratches even if the screens touch either. A slight touch isn't going to do anything.

OK, now I'm more confused than I was before :/

Question:
Would you agree that system manufacturing quality gets better as time goes on?

For example, my launch DSlite was (and still is) absolutely atrocious in quality.
I had the rare cracked hinge and my dpad was noticeably bottomed out and unresponsive. My L trigger is almost broken.

OK, now I'm more confused than I was before :/

Well, you can make them touch by pushing, but at least on my XL you have to put quite a bit of pressure on the top screen. Basically, you have to want to make them touch to get them to touch. Handling it normally shouldn't be enough for them to touch.

-GJ-

It's already on the Wii VC.

If you mean the 3DS VC, they haven't announced SNES VC yet, so you may be waiting a while.

Alright, thanks :). I'd love to play some of those old SNES classics on my XL, so they'd better announce those as soon as possible, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom