• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

urfe

Trust AndyMoogle over me. I've only fiddled with one in a store for 15 minutes, as opposed to owning one. I'm not sure if you could apply enough pressure to make scratches, but people here have been complaining about it, and I wanted to see if pressure would make them touch.

I had the most problem with my 3DS with lines when it was in its case with games in their as well. It made it too tight of a fit, and the games pushed into the system, creating the lines. I assumed that something similar could be happening here.

Trust AndyMoogle over me. I've only fiddled with one in a store for 15 minutes, as opposed to owning one. I'm not sure if you could apply enough pressure to make scratches, but people here have been complaining about it, and I wanted to see if pressure would make them touch.

I had the most problem with my 3DS with lines when it was in its case with games in their as well. It made it too tight of a fit, and the games pushed into the system, creating the lines. I assumed that something similar could be happening here.

I'm pretty sure that all the scratched screens in this thread were already scratched when picked out of the box.

Nope.

Mine is best ^_^

03d0ecdf.jpg

f2920891.jpg

2937f7c8.jpg

47b9f035.jpg

I win. :p

*glad it's settled*

Drago

Purple 3DS is probably the best thing NoA has done in the last 2 or 3 years

I need to pick one up down the line when they are dirt cheap just to marvel at it :p

Well, you can make them touch by pushing, but at least on my XL you have to put quite a bit of pressure on the top screen. Basically, you have to want to make them touch to get them to touch. Handling it normally shouldn't be enough for them to touch.

That makes more sense, thanks.

dbWhi.jpg

I need to know the color of these 3DS XLs. I know that horrid yellow tint is most likely random, but for some reason I have a feeling most of these, if not all, are red XLs. If I recall correctly, the whole 'yellow screen' issues started back when the Crimson/Black DS Lites came out. That, and red is evil; yellow evil.

I'll seriously switch to blue if these are red. I'm crazy like that.

EDIT: I had more images posted but they were huge. I failed at image quoting.

Oh, here we go: red! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82pfSpRyjJY

Eric C

You would think this would fix the screen scratching issue

d18B8.png

But some are saying they STILL got scratches, brand new right out of the box.

Personally, I hope that those were just a few isolated manufacturing/assembly issues that caused the scratches. Because if Nintendo still hasn't fixed the scratching problem that'd be EXTREMELY frustrating.

flippedb

Banned

Personally, I hope that those were just a few isolated manufacturing/assembly issues that caused the scratches. Because if Nintendo still hasn't fixed the scratching problem that'd be EXTREMELY frustrating.

Maybe it's due to poor handling during the shipping? It's not like they transport your packages in a cloud truck or something.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sort of want a purple 3ds instead of an XL, am I crazy?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm worried that I won't like the screen and 3d though. It seems really dumb to buy one with outdated screen tech but 1.) I want to play mario3d right now and 2.) purple.

IrishNinja

yeah im not seeing the scratching either, havent we kinda established dots & such are from shipping etc fuckups? are any of you really still getting the straight line from closing the system?

Turn off the power saving mode.

now im wondering how much that affects things.

dat white

dat racism

Both screens at brightness 5 with power saver off:

mG91h.jpg

okay, see, that looks great to me, not too warm/yellow. the amount of variation im seeing in this thread alone tells me either ya'll have very different photo techniques/devices or its a complete crapshot, im so messing with mine in store before leaving.

The color is so sweet! I love it so much. Will probably not get the XL untill they give us new colors.

The purples quite the awesome color. I've been very happy with my purple unit for a couple months now.

I'm excited for blue XL, I love the shade, as it's been shown. Like Sonic the Hedgehog blue...

....with 3DSXL, I can't ever look at the unit as its been shown and unsee it as anything but cute. Not in a "kiddy" way, but in a just Nintendo designed whimsy cute. I drew over this pic of units to illustrate:

00ab129a.jpg

It reminds me of a little creature from the top. I guess I've yet to lose my imagination -_-

**added ears and shit to the units, for dramatic effect - to get point across, lol*

Chanser

I don't get where the scratches come from, you can see a gap between the two screens. Though I would get it if they're on top of each other in a pallet.

You would think this would fix the screen scratching issue

d18B8.png

The screens should really come with a plastic sheet you peel off like when you get a mobile phone. This way there will be no scratches out of the box and the consumer has to make sure to either get a screen protector or be a bit careful with squeezing the product.

Robso

The screens should really come with a plastic sheet you peel off like when you get a mobile phone. This way there will be no scratches out of the box and the consumer has to make sure to either get a screen protector or be a bit careful with squeezing the product.

Agreed. I wondered why they didn't come with these.

Fox1304

Finally got mine.

Quick impressions :
  • Screen size is perfect
  • Definitely has a yellow tint compared to my Zelda 3DS ( see pic bellow ), but I don't think that it'll be a real bother, wasn't sure there was a tint before to put the two screens next to each other
  • Build quality is really nice, a real step up from the 3DS
  • Size is perfect, much better to handle and keep than the previous models
  • The Vita pouch that I've bought is a perfect fit for the XL :D
  • No screen marks for the moment
  • PPI isn't much of a bother, the screens feel nice (but the difference of clarity is definitely there. A good exemple is the Zelda save file select menu : when on 3DS XL, it's "standard", not awesome but not troublesome either, and when you go back to the standard 3DS, it appears really pristine and clear ... as expected)
  • Blue is awesome, accordingtokeikaku.png
  • There is a more pronounced "black wave" effect when 3D is active than on the 3DS ( the impression you have when you move slightly the head from the screen ). The "wave" are smaller and closer one to eachother
  • 3D is MUCH more impressive. No crosstalk where there was a LOT before, and really impressive with this screen size
  • Aliasing is more noticeable, could be a bother for people that care about this
  • That's all for the moment :D Pics galore !

IrishNinja

look at that sexy blue, people. look at it.

[*]Aliasing is more noticeable, could be a bother for people that care about this

yeah, i keep hearing this & its kinda expected...shame but i guess it cant be helped. ill make peace if i finally wanna play ToA!

With my xl you can see a difference between 2d and 3d. With 3d off my screen has a yellowish tint but if I turn on 3d it goes away and becomes white like it should be.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How are people holding it when using the dpad? Been playing a lot of mighty switch force (good) and VVVV (awesome music), and found it a little uncomfortable to hold for long periods. If I grip the XL normally my thumb has to stretch to reach the dpad, and for my thumb to naturally reach I end up pinching between my fingers which feels unbalanced and heavy.

But at least it doesn't have those horrible sharp plastic bumps on the bottom - they used to dig into my fingers.

Fox1304

yeah, i keep hearing this & its kinda expected...shame but i guess it cant be helped. ill make peace if i finally wanna play ToA!
As you said that was kinda expected. But it's not disgusting either. Compared to all the upgrades I find it pretty insignificant. But I know some people are much more touchy on the subject of aliasing.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I think people need to realize that the warmer screen colors were also present in many original 3DS systems. Just as long as *both* screens are warm-colored, the issue will not distract you enough to pull from your gaming experience. You won't even notice it right away unless you do a side by side comparison it with another LCD device.

However, as I've said many times before, I was unfortunate enough to have a warmer top 3DS screen , while the bottom was cool-colored. Every time I'd run a game or an app that uses both screens as a vertical display (browser, activity log, etc) it's becomes annoyingly distracting. So as long as I avoid a similar situation with my XL, I'd personally be fine.

The comparison EhrgeizVII is posting belongs to someone who's either lying about having the power-saving on or has a busted screen and should return it, because that is *definitely* not normal. The one in Fox1304's post is closer to reality, from my own experience with my current original 3DS.

Some people here are a bit tough about Tales of the Abyss on 3DS.:(
I mean, maybe for US, it's just a port from a game they played in 2005, but in Europe, the game just never came here.
Even if you live in US, if you never played this game, I recommend you to buy it, just for the better experience on 3DS (thanks to the short load times).
If you live in Europe, just buy it.

D'oh! I was gonna trade in my 3DS today but they were all out of XL's, they expect new ones 'this week.' The XL's they had were actually sold out on launchday already.

KH3D just arrived and I just really want to play that on a big screen, so bah :p

Edit: Oh, they still have a red one nearby. I wanted a blue one. Well, I guess red is pretty cool too :) None of them would have beaten my Ice White 3DS anyway, but oh well.

canvee

Finally got mine.

Quick impressions :
  • Aliasing is more noticeable, could be a bother for people that care about this

Damn, expected but disappointing nonetheless. I'm not too fussed about graphics in general but aliasing is the one thing I can't stand. The amount of aliasing present in 3d mode meant that I only played revelations in 2D.

bitoriginal

Loving my XL, but one major niggle is the 3D sweetspot, it seems smaller to me. Basically if I tilt my head even slightly, I get these weird streaky black lines that take me right out of the experience. I can reduce this by playing with 3D on the lowest setting, but max 3D is a pain. Anyone else notice this at all? Kid Icarus is near impossible to enjoy when playing with 3D on full.

DeVeAn

I just can't stand that yellow tint. Especially when one screen doesn't have it. I have the worst luck so I might wait. I know I'll get one yellow-ified or dead/stuck pixel or sticky button. I hate returning shit too.

Chopper

I made sure to open my unit whilst I was in the store to check it for pixels, scratches and yellow tint. That way I could just return it immediately.

And for ose wondering about cases, I strongly recommend this one, which comes in a variety of colours. I use it for my DSi XL, and it looks properly smart. 3DS XL should fit it just fine (I've just ordered my second).

mandiller

I made sure to open my unit whilst I was in the store to check it for pixels, scratches and yellow tint. That way I could just return it immediately.

And for ose wondering about cases, I strongly recommend this one, which comes in a variety of colours. I use it for my DSi XL, and it looks properly smart. 3DS XL should fit it just fine (I've just ordered my second).

I use that case for my DSi XL too. I can testify that it is awesome. I'll test if the 3DS XL works well with the case when I get it in the next few days. If it does I might have to order a second case.

Loving my XL, but one major niggle is the 3D sweetspot, it seems smaller to me. Basically if I tilt my head even slightly, I get these weird streaky black lines that take me right out of the experience. I can reduce this by playing with 3D on the lowest setting, but max 3D is a pain. Anyone else notice this at all? Kid Icarus is near impossible to enjoy when playing with 3D on full.

I think I know what you are talking about. Despite the fact that early previews mentioned a wider viewing angle, I'm under the impression, that the sweetspot for a clear 3D image is much smaler on the XL.

I haven't bought one but I tried 3 different demo units in a store with Oot, MK7 and 3D Land. If you just move the thing a little bit in your hands, the effect starts to come off, which starts with a slightly darker tone on the left or right side. The original 3DS's screen is much more forgiving in this regard. Actually it was almost impossible for me to keep the 3D image clear at all while playing. And before someone questions my capability to keep the thing steady, I have no problems with gyro aiming on my original while 3D is on, so it's not me.

I have seen no glasses 3D TV screens that have the same effect. You never feel like you are in the proper spot.

Strange that no one had the same experience, because there are a lot of "upgraders" in here.

So if I upgrade, it's going to be the purple beast posted on this page:p (so hot!)

herod

I think the left/right sweetspot is better but the 'distance from face' sweetspot is no different.

tbh it also probably depends on how far apart your eyes are along with ambient light, and also whether the content on-screen is predominantly light or dark.

bitoriginal

I think I know what you are talking about. Despite the fact that early previews mentioned a wider viewing angle, I'm under the impression, that the sweetspot for a clear 3D image is much smaler on the XL.

I haven't bought one but I tried 3 different demo units in a store with Oot, MK7 and 3D Land. If you just move the thing a little bit in your hands, the effect starts to come off, which starts with a slightly darker tone on the left or right side. The original 3DS's screen is much more forgiving in this regard. Actually it was almost impossible for me to keep the 3D image clear at all while playing. And before someone questions my capability to keep the thing steady, I have no problems with gyro aiming on my original while 3D is on, so it's not me.

I have seen no glasses 3D TV screens that have the same effect. You never feel like you are in the proper spot.

Strange that no one had the same experience, because there are a lot of "upgraders" in here.

So if I upgrade, it's going to be the purple beast posted on this page:p (so hot!)

Yeah, I mean it is a negative, but I've still been playing in 3D and sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it doesn't. However, I'm telling you now, I could never go back to an OG 3DS, the XL makes games infinitely more enjoyable and memorable. Seriously, the larger screens make a world of difference.

MicH

That looks great, thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely get this.

I used this case for my DSi XL, but found it a bit too bulky. Great support and really protects the console, though!

herod

Agreed on the large screen, it makes (for example) Rayman Origins a lot more enjoyable.

I also go 1:1 every time in VC stuff now, it's easily big enough even for GB stuff with the benefit of a much nicer crisp image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom