• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

EktorPR

Anyone out there with a Red XL that's NOT affected by a yellow/orange hue on the upper screen? That's my color of choice right now and I'm worried any of the screens on it will turn out yellowish. :[

Chopper

For those looking at the case I posted earlier, I can confirm that the 3DS XL fits like a glove. Better than the DSi XL even, thanks to it being a little more narrow. Here's a pic of my 3DS inside...

yzsjR.jpg

The problem I have now is that I don't have a blue XL stylus to fit in my blue case when it arrives. I've contacted NoE here in the UK and they only sell the smaller red and brown stylus that fits into the side of the console. No pens.

NoA do though. Here. Is there anyone here who would be willing to help me get my hands on one?! Serious question.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Damnit..just noticed a stuck/dead pixel in the middel of the screen. Wasn't there when I bought it, but suddenly appeared. Can't unsee it :/
What's Nintendo's policy on this?

From the 3DS manual:

o5DoL.png

Have you tried to massage it out? Sometimes that works. You could try the retailer you purchased from. I have a dead pixel at the top of my touch screen. Doesn't bother me as it's only one pixel, plus I've already got eShop content on mine so it'd be a pain in the arse.

ArchAngel

Just tested my red XL if the upper screen ist yellowish ... not really. I have the impression that both screens are at about the same level of white, BUT when I look from the side the upper screen is a little yellow. But that's propably because of the 3D screens design?

So, never noticed it when I look straight to the screen ...

dino1980

Anyone out there with a Red XL that's NOT affected by a yellow/orange hue on the upper screen? That's my color of choice right now and I'm worried any of the screens on it will turn out yellowish. :[

Mine is pretty normal cold/blue screen. Not at all yellow like some of the pictures here.

MicH

I have a red one and the yellow tint on mine is barely noticeable. Definitely not a problem for me and nothing like the extreme cases posted here.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
just inspected my unit a bit

Wow, the blue is really beautiful. I'm already loving it!

no dead pixels and no scratches for me, so that's a win-win

Mario Kart looks beautiful. Screen is BIG

Going to test battery soon. It was 50% when I started it

can't wait to try some REvelations on this little thing!

From the 3DS manual:

o5DoL.png

Have you tried to massage it out? Sometimes that works. You could try the retailer you purchased from. I have a dead pixel at the top of my touch screen. Doesn't bother me as it's only one pixel, plus I've already got eShop content on mine so it'd be a pain in the arse.

Thanks for your reply. Massage did not work, I had one dead pixel in my psp, but that one was not in the line of sight. This one is right in the center...and I see it everytime :/
I'll try my retailer.

bede-x

I just noticed that the 3DS XL doesn't come with a big stylus. That's a slight disappointment, though I suppose I could use the one that came with the DS XL.

ksimm

I can't remember who it was that recommended the 3DS/DS Hori game case, but thank you it's brilliant! I just wish I'd bought one of these ages ago.

I find that the battery lasts a bit longer in sleep mode than my original 3DS...

Am I the only one?

The battery lasts longer for everything.

I can't remember who it was that recommended the 3DS/DS Hori game case, but thank you it's brilliant! I just wish I'd bought one of these ages ago.

Woah, I looked it up and that looks really neat. I might have to get one of those.

Hard to say. It depends on what kind of game you want.

Super Mario 3D Land is pretty good, but it's way too easy.

Resident Evil: Revelations has a new great co-op mode, but I wouldn't really say that it's a must have for single player alone.

Mario Kart 7 is probably the best new game you can get for 3DS if you enjoy Mario Kart. Great online, and the game is really nice on the XL.

If Mario Kart isn't your thing, then Ocarina of Time is definitely the best one. It's awesome on the bigger screen too. I consider OoT to be the best game on 3DS, but it's a remake/port and not a brand new game.

If you are a Final Fantasy fan, then Theatrhythm is a must have. Perhaps not THE must have title, but it's a lot of fun and has plenty of content. Check out the demo on eShop.

I don't own Ghost Recon anymore, but I did spend over 30 hours on it. It's a good turn based strategy game, and it should be really cheap nowadays. Not the best game on the system, but it's a really solid game that you might want to consider if you like the genre.

I'd argue Resident Evil Revelations is the best value. The single player campaign took me about 14 hours. I'm a long time series fan, and I'd put the campaign about on par with 2, or right below 2. It has the feel, intrigue and story twists and closer survival horror as the earliest 5 games (0-3 + Code Veronica)...

Basically take Resident Evil 2 or 3 and have it control like Resident Evil 4. The game has a lengthy fully featured Resident Evil campaign. Sacrifices nothing from the console brethren, for sake of being portable. It's got a multiplayer campaign, as well.

I'd also recommend Kid Icarus Uprising. The game has a different control scheme, but the game is so deep and rewarding, it's such a fresh experience for 2012 gaming. There is nothing else like it. Lostsof unlockables, lots of polish, lots of fun, a lengthy story, excellent and campy dialogue and beautiful music. Deeper than you'd think at first glance. I love this game!

I'd argue Resident Evil Revelations is the best value. The single player campaign took me about 14 hours. I'm a long time series fan, and I'd put the campaign about on par with 2, or right below 2. It has the feel, intrigue and story twists and closer survival horror as the earliest 5 games (0-3 + Code Veronica)...

Basically take Resident Evil 2 or 3 and have it control like Resident Evil 4. The game has a lengthy fully featured Resident Evil campaign. Sacrifices nothing from the console brethren, for sake of being portable. It's got a multiplayer campaign, as well.

I'd also recommend Kid Icarus Uprising. The game has a different control scheme, but the game is so deep and rewarding, it's such a fresh experience for 2012 gaming. There is nothing else like it. Lostsof unlockables, lots of polish, lots of fun, a lengthy story, excellent and campy dialogue and beautiful music. Deeper than you'd think at first glance. I love this game!

Chili

My 3DS XL came from Gamestop.co.uk this morning. Did the system transfer and sent my old 3DS back as part of their trade-in offer. I went for the Silver. Not a fan of anything 'colour'. I like it, it reminds me the original DS a lot. No scratches out of the box and no dead pixels from a brief check. I'll have a better look once I get home. Really like the form factor though. I'm not a fan of the recent trend of making everything as thin and small as possible. I'd prefer something that is comfortable to hold on to and the XL most definitely is over the original.

dokish

Banned
I have absolutely no impressions yet, but the important thing is I got it:

There's a lot of light in my living room right now so the picture isn't that great. Will do a lot of Mario 3D Land tonight to get a feel for the hardware. Now I just need to find a good place to preorder NSMB2, preferably one that actually delivers on launch day..

What's the game on DSi XL?

Drago

Anyone know the cheapest place where I can get a White DSi XL pen?

For whenever I get a 3DS XL, it will be good for Colors and Art Academy

Can someone compare the 3DS and 3DS XL physical battery sizes?

Please and thank you.

Couldn't agree more with this.

King_Moc

Banned
Just turned mine on for the first time, which Amazon Italy impressively got to me today (in UK). Haven't been able to play any games yet as i need to transfer my old one over. One thing that hit me from the menu's is how noticable the pixel separation is. Black lines everywhere. Hopefully it won't show as much in game.

Oh, and the screens are gigantic.

Fox1304

Just did some side by side comparison on NSMB DS and the verdict is definitive : the DSi XL is absolutely no match for the 3DS XL.
Clarity, colors, brightness ... Everything is better on the DSi.

Will post some pics later that don't really do it justice, but in person there's absolutely no comparuson between the two.

the only thing i'd add about Revelations is that RAID mode isn't just for co-op. it's a lot of fun single player too, espescially if you get a fair amount of street passes.

Really? I'd put it as the weakest RE of all the main ones. Raid Mode in co-op is a blast though, and it was worth getting the game for that mode. They better have Raid in RE6 instead of yet another boring Mercenaries mode.

Just did some side by side comparison on NSMB DS and the verdict is definitive : the DSi XL is absolutely no match for the 3DS XL.
Clarity, colors, brightness ... Everything is better on the DSi.

Will post some pics later that don't really do it justice, but in person there's absolutely no comparuson between the two.

It's kind of a pointless comparison if you're stretching the DS game. There is no way in hell a DS game could ever look good in anything but 1:1 on a 3DS/XL. If only Nintendo had made the 3DS resolution 512x384 instead, then DS games would have looked great when upscaled.

Fox1304

It's kind of a pointless comparison if you're stretching the DS game.

Colors, brightness, ghosting...
And there's many people who would play stretched if it was worse but not terrible, juste for the comodity of having only one device, or not having to buy two.
Wouldn't call this comparison pointless.

Revalaitions is definitely worse than Resi 1, 2 and 4.
The story was nothing special, they're all largely interchangeable at this point:
New strain of the virus! Sinister villain dictating from the shadows! You've been double-crossed!
Raid mode is pretty cool though, enjoyed it more than Mercenaries.

Ocarina is the best game on the system. If it 'doesn't count' then it's Mario 3D Land.

Downhome

Anyone else like me just flat out stop playing games on the 3DS once the 3DS XL was announced? I figured what the heck, before I get too far in any of my games anymore I may as well wait and play them on the bigger and better screen.

Colors, brightness, ghosting...
And there's many people who would play stretched if it was worse but not terrible, juste for the comodity of having only one device, or not having to buy two.
Wouldn't call this comparison pointless.

You should compare native vs native, not native vs shitty upscaling. I'm going to play DS games on the XL, but that will be in the native resolution.

Lanbeast

Anyone else like me just flat out stop playing games on the 3DS once the 3DS XL was announced? I figured what the heck, before I get too far in any of my games anymore I may as well wait and play them on the bigger and better screen.

Yup. Well, I don't own a 3DS but I stopped playing anything on my DS Lite. That thing gave me horrible cramps so I've been putting all my games off until the XL releases in NA.

Bumhead

Banned
Would anyone be able to post any screenshots of DS games running on their XL, both stretched or 1:1. Specifically Bowsers Inside Story if anyone has it and would be kind enough to post a pic of it running on their 3DS XL.

Figure I should probably take advantage of the DS library..

Morokh

Got mine ! (Silver)

The screens are definitely huge and it gives a nice boost to the 3D effect and it really feels like your re-discovering the games you used to play, but...

... the loss in picture quality really hurts, and even more if the original assets were already low res (Rayman Origins is ugly on that thing xD), in 3D the jaggies appear more noticeable, they already were there but well now they are bigger ..

Being able to play DS games (and the GBA ambassador games and all) in their native resolution on 1.1 mode is on the other hand a really good thing, but the stretched mode is still awful.

Design and 'feel' when holding it in your hands is definitely better, you clearly notice the difference when you switch between systems for the data transfer.

Overall happy but a little bummed about picture quality and I blame the first reporters that got their hands on it and who said that there was almost no loss (You blind ?!!!), .... well it was kind of the same when I bought my DSi but i got used to it in the end, but still !

ThankeeSai

Just picked mine up (blue) and got Resi Revelations and OoT (£20 each, pre-owned - not too shabby).

Quick question about charging it - should I run whatever battery is left on it now, then charge it or should I charge it straight away?

Generally tend to get mixed answers on this for mobile/cell phones, so was just interested to see what the opinions on this are and if people have had more positive or negative experiences doing one or the other.

bitoriginal

Alright, I wanna try something... Everyone that owns an XL, can you post what colour you own and if you notice a yellow hue on the top screen? I want to know if the yellow hue is present on all units or its a problem affecting red XLs.

I'll start.

Red XL- Noticeable yellow hue when compared to OG 3DS.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Alright, I wanna try something... Everyone that owns an XL, can you post what colour you own and if you notice a yellow hue on the top screen? I want to know if the yellow hue is present on all units or its a problem affecting red XLs.

I'll start.

Red XL- Noticeable yellow hue when compared to OG 3DS.

It's a pointless exercise. They all have a warmer screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just picked mine up (blue) and got Resi Revelations and OoT (£20 each, pre-owned - not too shabby).

Quick question about charging it - should I run whatever battery is left on it now, then charge it or should I charge it straight away?

Generally tend to get mixed answers on this for mobile/cell phones, so was just interested to see what the opinions on this are and if people have had more positive or negative experiences doing one or the other.

Doesn't matter. If you want to play, play. If not, charge it. Or play while charging.

Really? I'd put it as the weakest RE of all the main ones. Raid Mode in co-op is a blast though, and it was worth getting the game for that mode. They better have Raid in RE6 instead of yet another boring Mercenaries mode.

It's kind of a pointless comparison if you're stretching the DS game. There is no way in hell a DS game could ever look good in anything but 1:1 on a 3DS/XL. If only Nintendo had made the 3DS resolution 512x384 instead, then DS games would have looked great when upscaled.

I'd say my RE ratings are as follows:

Fave to least -

Resident Evil/REmake
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6 (???) unknown ranking at this time....

Speaking of mercenaries mode, I love Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D. It has my highest 3DS game playtime ^_^ (Barry with Hunks load out, or Uruboros Wesker with Rebecca's load out). Raid mode fell flat to me. Dunno why, didn't enjoy it as much. Not as fast paced? I like the time vs. combos vs helping cooperatively in Mercs.

I hope the 3DSXL doesn't have an underwhelming display when I get my unit. I'm worried by all of the lackluster impressions. PPI was never an issue. Not until the iPhone 4 came along (after the 3DS unveil), changing the game and ensuring anything less is "horrible". I'm actually not too bad of a display snob, as long as the games look good and not terrible or overly hideous jagfests, I should be okay.

So happy with my XL ( even if the instore system transfer took AN HOUR AND A FUCKING HALF)
really does breathe new life into my 3DS games. Mario kart and Land look fantastic, really enjoying the comfort of the new unit for longer play sessions too ( TOTA, Kingdom Hearts etc)

Robso

Finally opened mine today as my screen protectors arrived and unfortunately I messed up installing the protectors. :(

I'd never used protectors before on anything so found the installation fiddly. I'm not sure what to do. I really wanted to use protectors as I didn't want to scratch the screen but they cost nearly £10 for one pair (there are cheaper ones yes, but they unfortunately don't fully fit the screen) and if I mess up again that's £20 down the drain and I couldn't possibly contemplate going to £30 just for screen protectors.

Kid Icarus requires quite a lot of use of the touch screen doesn't it? So this has me worried I could scratch the screen. :(

I'm doing the same.

Picked up Sonic Generations, Rhythm Thief and Kingom Hearts 3D - (and a few DS games like Okamiden, TWEWY, M&L: Bowsers Inside Story, etc.) and am not playing any of them until the XL. It's hard but I want these games to be special on first try.

Sorry Purple 3DS (I still love and am keeping it), which will be made into my emergency 3DS/partner unit when XL arrives in a few weeks.

I'd say my RE ratings are as follows:

Fave to least -

Resident Evil/REmake
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6 (???) unknown ranking at this time....

Speaking of mercenaries mode, I love Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D. It has my highest 3DS game playtime ^_^ (Barry with Hunks load out, or Uruboros Wesker with Rebecca's load out). Raid mode fell flat to me. Dunno why, didn't enjoy it as much. Not as fast paced? I like the time vs. combos vs helping cooperatively in Mercs.

I hope the 3DSXL doesn't have an underwhelming display when I get my unit. I'm worried by all of the lackluster impressions. PPI was never an issue. Not until the iPhone 4 came along (after the 3DS unveil), changing the game and ensuring anything less is "horrible". I'm actually not too bad of a display snob, as long as the games look good and not terrible or overly hideous jagfests, I should be okay.

Mercenaries vs Raid is probably just a matter of what kind of gameplay you prefer. You seem to be more of a score attack person, while I'm more of a co-op person.

I had fun with Mercenaries in RE4, but I didn't care much for it in RE5. I'm not sure if it was only because of the levels, or something else.

The best thing would be if Capcom includes both modes in RE6. That way we can all be happy.

Eric C

The problem I have now is that I don't have a blue XL stylus to fit in my blue case when it arrives. I've contacted NoE here in the UK and they only sell the smaller red and brown stylus that fits into the side of the console. No pens.

NoA do though. Here. Is there anyone here who would be willing to help me get my hands on one?! Serious question.

I don't know where you're located but would this be an OK substitute?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0049P2OTM/

It'd probably be cheaper compared to importing one from the US.

So when I go to trade this in at GameStop, how much am I going to have to pay to get an XL? Also, how am I gonna transfer from my 3DS to the 3DS XL in the store...are they gonna setup internet connections or what? <_<;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom