• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

orioto

Good Art™
So i bought it... I'm so weak.
Just a question guys. How do you take it in your hands, while playing ?
I find myself not really good at doing that with any portables of this gen, but this is worth there. It's huge and if i don't put it on my belly to play on my bed, it's just a pain in the ass to keep this huge thing stable while keeping a comfortable position for my thumbs..
More precisly, what do you do with your ring fingers ? I try to use them to support the bottom of the console, but this is not really comfortable after some times..

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I have absolutely no impressions yet, but the important thing is I got it:

There's a lot of light in my living room right now so the picture isn't that great. Will do a lot of Mario 3D Land tonight to get a feel for the hardware. Now I just need to find a good place to preorder NSMB2, preferably one that actually delivers on launch day..

What game is running on the right 3DS?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Any videos of DS games running on the 3DS XL yet? I'm playing way more DS now than 3DS games, and am hoping to safely retire my DSi XL and 3DS when the 3DS XL reaches NA.

I hate DS games on the 3DS, but love the slide pad for them. Love the DSi XL, but hate the dpad. :(

I find myself not really good at doing that with any portables of this gen, but this is worth there. It's huge and if i don't put it on my belly to play on my bed, it's just a pain in the ass to keep this huge thing stable while keeping a comfortable position for my thumbs..
More precisly, what do you do with your ring fingers ? I try to use them to support the bottom of the console, but this is not really comfortable after some times..

I dont have an XL, but when I'm playing my 3DS I'm either in bed or sat on the toilet. So the console usually rests on my tummy or on my lap, which is perfectly comfortable.

But yeh the ring fingers can get uncomfortable, I usually keep them tucked in with my pinky fingers. Or you could consider amputating them, or just get used to it.

DeVeAn

You aren't alone. I can never find a comfortable position to play handhelds.

Jarsonot

So when I get this I'll have two current-gen Nintendo handhelds for the first time.

Can y'all recommend games that have single cart multiplayer? And will DS games work that way in the 3DS? I mean, will the 3DS without the game cart be able to "find" the game?

Thanks!

This is the first Nintendo revision that I'm going to pass up on, I guess. That it isn't a complete slam dunk (as the Lite was) is enough for me to stay satisfied with what I have--let's hope the next revision's size falls somewhere between the XL and the current model.

orioto

Good Art™
I dont have an XL, but when I'm playing my 3DS I'm either in bed or sat on the toilet. So the console usually rests on my tummy or on my lap, which is perfectly comfortable.

But yeh the ring fingers can get uncomfortable, I usually keep them tucked in with my pinky fingers. Or you could consider amputating them, or just get used to it.

DeVeAn said:
You aren't alone. I can never find a comfortable position to play handhelds.

At least i'm not alone indeed!

Also by the way the transfer was a mess for me. I didn't get what happened but to be short i did the whole process with the pikmin and my 4gig card in the 3ds xl, then after that they asked me if i wanted to copy the dsiware games from the source 3ds.. It wasn't clear, so i said ok then it told me it wasn't working.. I was a little confused, then i understood i had to put the old 2gig card to copy something. I did that and it worked with this one. Except.. after that my whole downloadable files (demo, trailers, apps..) were on the 2gig card and not on the 4 gig... But the whole 3ds files and memory was on the 4 gig... Anyway i just redownloaded what i really wanted..

Santiako

OyxaG.jpg

Santiako

If i do that it will fall from my hand i swear... Or do you press left and right to hold it ? but in that case (same for the vita by the way) my thumbs are way to bended...

I don't really press, it just rests in my hand, I find it very confortable, it has dethroned the PSP 2000 (without using the nub) as the most confortable handheld in my hands.

So when I go to trade this in at GameStop, how much am I going to have to pay to get an XL? Also, how am I gonna transfer from my 3DS to the 3DS XL in the store...are they gonna setup internet connections or what? <_<;

I'm most likely Buying for 200 straight up, Transferring my stuff at home and Trading at Amazon which They can give you $100 back if its in good condition. 1 Year old it should be perfectly fine.

mollipen

After playing with our office 3DS XL for a bit, I have come to a conclusion: If Nintendo gives us one that's white on the inside, and baby pink on the outside, I will buy it in a heartbeat. At that point, I might finally have a new Nintendo handheld that was as awesome as the pink DS Phat.

The more time I spend with the XL, the more I like it. I really can't see myself going back to smaller screens again.

I have small hands so I keep all my fingers on the back and let the system rest in my palms. It's actually quite comfortable thanks to the rounded corners.

So when I get this I'll have two current-gen Nintendo handhelds for the first time.

Can y'all recommend games that have single cart multiplayer? And will DS games work that way in the 3DS? I mean, will the 3DS without the game cart be able to "find" the game?

Thanks!
I picked up Steel Diver for 15€ the other day (fun little game btw, but don't pay more than 10-15*insert currency*)
It has a nice little strategy game that works with download play. Think Battleship with some tweaks to make use of the mechanics, like using the periscope to shoot torpedos at your opponent. I'll try this out with some friends soon.

antonz

I'm most likely Buying for 200 straight up, Transferring my stuff at home and Trading at Amazon which They can give you $100 back if its in good condition. 1 Year old it should be perfectly fine.

Agreed the $100 from Amazon is a solid deal. Gonna put my trade in request the day before release so make sure they dont try and drop it less on the 19th

Jarsonot

Ah, right on. Best Buy recently had this (steel diver, thought I quoted) for $5 too, but I missed it =( Maybe that price will roll around again.

Also, google answered my other question: you can indeed do DS single-cart play on 3DS. Assuming most of you knew that, but for those who didn't... =)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I did a system transfer, and one question. At the end it had me move my old SD card to the XL, is there a way to transfer the data from one SD card to the other? I'd like to make use of that 4GB card. Guessing it's more involved than just copying the data onto another card via PC.

So I did a system transfer, and one question. At the end it had me move my old SD card to the XL, is there a way to transfer the data from one SD card to the other? I'd like to make use of that 4GB card. Guessing it's more involved than just copying the data onto another card via PC.

Nope, that's all you have to do.

Santiako

No, just that.

It's actually pretty easy:

- Put your old 2 GB card in your PC
- Copy all of its contents to your desktop (don't change a thing)
- Put your new 4 GB card in your PC
- Copy the files from your 2 GB SD card on your desktop to your 4 GB card
- Profit

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Beaten. Twice, at that...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a bit fiddly with dpad heavy games. Either I hold it lower down so my thumb is comfortable but then I don't feel secure holding the bottom half of the bottom half, or I hold it further up for better stability, and need to bend my thumb a lot which is uncomfortable.

Slide pad stuff is fine.

d+pad

After playing with our office 3DS XL for a bit, I have come to a conclusion: If Nintendo gives us one that's white on the inside, and baby pink on the outside, I will buy it in a heartbeat. At that point, I might finally have a new Nintendo handheld that was as awesome as the pink DS Phat.

Ah, so you like it then? I'm shocked!

Also, this color combo would prompt me to buy an XL, too. That, or an all-pink one.

You know NOA will never do that, but maybe NOJ?

Drago

I'm such a piece of shit

I've decided that I'm just going to buy a red XL day 1 and buy a White/special edition one whenever it comes out as well. 2/5 transfers used.

Fuck me

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Also gonna try that...thanks. Jeez, when I play a game now, al that I can see is that damned pixel right in front of me :/

Yeah definitely call them. Nintendo generally has REALLY good customer support. I would be willing to be they will replace it, and if not post back here.

dyreschlock

Hi everybody, I had a question about the SD cards that can be used with the 3DS (and the XL).

Does the 3DS care about how much space the SD card can use? Does the card have to be a specific Class? Or does it require a minimum class?

I was thinking of picking up a 32gb SanDisk SDHC Class 10 to use with it. That should work, right?

(Sorry if this is a dumb ass question)

mandiller

For those looking at the case I posted earlier, I can confirm that the 3DS XL fits like a glove. Better than the DSi XL even, thanks to it being a little more narrow. Here's a pic of my 3DS inside...

Nice! Can you post another picture showing off the red/burgundy case? Do you think it's a good case for a red 3ds xl or is the colour a bit strange? I've got the black one for my DSi XL but am considering getting a second one.

NBtoaster

Question: I don't have wifi. How gimped will the 3DS experience be? Felt like I was missing out on a lot with PSP..

I want one of these, but maybe I should invest in wifi before getting one..

Drago

Question: I don't have wifi. How gimped will the 3DS experience be? Felt like I was missing out on a lot with PSP..
You'll be missing out on the fantastic Mario Kart and Kid Icarus online modes and there are a few standout eShop games and VC games, plus demos and digital retail games. Other than that I don't think you'll be missing too much

I'm likely forgetting things though

Hi everybody, I had a question about the SD cards that can be used with the 3DS (and the XL).

Does the 3DS care about how much space the SD card can use? Does the card have to be a specific Class? Or does it require a minimum class?

I was thinking of picking up a 32gb SanDisk SDHC Class 10 to use with it. That should work, right?

(Sorry if this is a dumb ass question)

Not dumb at all and yeah, that should work.

Anteo

You'll be missing out on the fantastic Mario Kart and Kid Icarus online modes and there are a few standout eShop games and VC games, plus demos and digital retail games. Other than that I don't think you'll be missing too much

I'm likely forgetting things though

So, you just don't have internet at home? or have internet but just not WiFi?
If you are using a laptop, there are ways (free programs) to turn it into a hotspot. A friend of mine does that and plays online with the 3ds.

antonz

Blue XL ordered from Best Buy. 32GB SD card from amazon arriving tommorrow and Hori XL Screen protectors coming from Amazon. I am all set for the 19th.

mollipen

Ah, so you like it then? I'm shocked!

Also, this color combo would prompt me to buy an XL, too. That, or an all-pink one.

You know NOA will never do that, but maybe NOJ?

I've had enough all pink! I want to go back to the glory days of the pink+white DS Phat. And, at this point, I think if Nintendo of Japan does it, America will get it too. As useless as NOA can often be, they've gotten to actually be very good about color choices.

Drago

Would someone be kind enough to provide me with some really nice pics showing off the Red and Blue systems?

I can't decide again :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom