• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mairu

Got mine today.

Kind of annoyed at the transfer process. I was under the assumption that I could just do it at Gamestop, wasn't the case.

Had to buy the XL outright, go home, do the transfer with the OG 3DS, then go back to GS and return the XL, which put the money back on my card, and then trade in the 3DS and re-buy the XL.

Stupid.

When I picked mine up they let me hang around at Gamestop and do the transfer. Hopefully one day we'll just have a real account system and won't have to bother with this

leng jai

Ghost Recon is fantastic and even decent in the graphics department. Good recommendation from GAF.

Is it just me or does Zelda's 3D implementation suck? I thought I had trouble with using 3D at max but it seems to be a problem mainly with Zelda.

Alex

Ghost Recon is fantastic and even decent in the graphics department. Good recommendation from GAF.

Is it just me or does Zelda's 3D implementation suck? I thought I had trouble with using 3D at max but it seems to be a problem mainly with Zelda.

Zelda has nice anti-aliasing when you drop to 2D, making it the best kind of 3D implementation for my tastes. :p

1:1 mode is not that great though anyway. Yes, it carries the crispness and clarity over from what you would expect on a standard DSi, but it's impractical as I find the borders distracting and the smaller screen space not worth the trade-off.

I find my tastes vary from game to game. Sometimes I'm cool with full, sometimes 1:1 - the borders don't distract me all that much, though.

The store is refusing the warranty cause they say all 3ds xl are like that and I don't believe them.

Mine isn't like that, but I've heard of a fair few that are. Still, what store would refuse that? Was it Gamestop or something?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Well it does feel el-cheapo when it's so easy to do.

edit, tho there seems to be more plastic underneath! http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20120730/231194/?SS=imgview_e&FD=47651877&ad_q

Guess that means shell customization coming soon :)
Take a look at part 4 of the breakdown article, this should be interesting for anyone who was planning on getting customizable shells, because the top shell is not as easily removed as previously thought. This may influence 3rd party manufacturers on whether or not to make customized shells.

2.jpg

According to them, they needed to pick out rubber stoppers on the front side next to the screen first with a screwdriver and then had to remove metallic stickers from underneath those to get to the four screws holding the top plate on.
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20120802/231891/

optimiss

Take a look at part 4 of the breakdown article, this should be interesting for anyone who was planning on getting customizable shells, because the top shell is not as easily removed as previously thought. This may influence 3rd party manufacturers on whether or not to make customized shells.

According to them, they needed to pick out rubber stoppers on the front side next to the screen first with a screwdriver and then had to remove metallic stickers from underneath those to get to a pair of screws holding the top plate on.

Dayum, dayum, dayum!

Etzer

According to them, they needed to pick out rubber stoppers on the front side next to the screen first with a screwdriver and then had to remove metallic stickers from underneath those to get to the four screws holding the top plate on.
That doesn't sound so bad. Pretty much like the DS Lite, right?

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I have no issues with my 3DS, no over warm screens or anything. But I don't have anything to compare to until my DSi XL shows up. But I did notice the screens and colors are nowhere near as vibrant as the bullshots I see online for games like Zelda. Almost looks like they are running on Dolphin. Not sure which website I was viewing however.

Maybe I am just used to vibrant cell phone screens or something.

Haha finally making progress in snake eater 3D, it's not that shitty like everyone says, it's actually a good port and since I never beat the game I'm having fun.

That ladder of doom in 3D was B^)

The big screen helps, I can't go back to the original

Also got back to playing Mario kart online and my snes rainbow road love continues, lol everyone falls off that map online

OctoWara289

Neo Member

Considering it's just for a plate removal/replacement, that's not a big deal at all. If it were an entire housing replacement, that would require a lot more time. I did that on my DS Lite, made into some special edition Pikachu DS Lite, and it took me about 5 hours (ribbon cable of death), but the end product is beautiful! So yeah, not a big deal for plate replacements at all.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Blasphemy. RE is fine with one stick. RE4 style man.
Yeah it's nice, but once you get used to the pro pad it's a lot better believe me :)

I've opened DSes before and I know they can be a bitch but if this only requires getting the top out (and not disassembling the lower part) I'd still use one!

What's the point of simply replacing the plates when you still have the issue of the memory card cover remaining the same color as the original plate?

kunonabi

Haha finally making progress in snake eater 3D, it's not that shitty like everyone says, it's actually a good port and since I never beat the game I'm having fun.

That ladder of doom in 3D was B^)

The big screen helps, I can't go back to the original

Also got back to playing Mario kart online and my snes rainbow road love continues, lol everyone falls off that map online

Yeah I really enjoyed the 3DS port.

also

Banned
So I may have a problem with my screens, I already posted about it in Kingdom Hearts DDD thread, but maybe more people will see it here:
I have a question regarding the video quality of the credits, specifically when there's a black background. Does anyone else see some kind of ghosting? When names disappear they leave a dark green pixelated mess behind and you can also see lines and spots all over the screen. Are these compression artefacts or is it my screen? I'm playing on a red 3DS XL, full brightness, power saving off, PAL.

Here are the pictures:
Bottom screen:
Top screen:
Planning director: maps
You Miyazaki

I watched Days 358/2's credits, which are similar (scrolling text on a dark background), but didn't see any green stuff. The blobs and lines are always in the same spots, so hopefully this has something to do with the credits and not the screens. Any comments are appreciated.

Also, does anyone else's bottom right part (below the buttons) of the XL get hot/warm after long periods of gaming?

You have a defective screen. You can either return it or let Nintendo attempt to repair it. And 'no' to the question about heat. The only heat I feel is in the back, but I assume that's from where I was holding it.

also

Banned
You have a defective screen. You can either return it or let Nintendo attempt to repair it. And 'no' to the question about heat. The only heat I feel is in the back, but I assume that's from where I was holding it.

But it's weird that I only see it during the credits, nowhere else. I even tried replicating the scenario (dark background, scrolling text) and there were no green spots, though I did use a NDS game, because ATM I don't have any other 3DS game to replicate the situation.

CronoShot

Ah damn. Came home today after carrying my XL around with me, and lo and behold, there's a nice line on the top screen. Guess I should have been putting a cloth between the screens after all

At least it's on the screen protector, but I'm gonna have to replace it before it drives me and my OCD insane. And the Hori protectors are out of stock on Amazon, unless I want to pay lol30bucks.

It's ridiculous that this is still an issue. You'd think that would have been priority #1 when designing a new model.

RPGCrazied

I'm noticing tiny scratches on mine now. Looks like a tip of a needle. They are very small, and can't be seen when the 3DS is on. I have 3 of them. They defiantly are scratches cause they won't rub off. You have to be under direct light to see them too. I was babying this system so hard. Only play for a couple hours, wipe it down with a cloth. In the case when not in use. I never touched the top screen with anything. I have a hori screen protector on the bottom screen.

Oh well. Sure hope I don't get any that can be visible when its on.

Azriell

Just got my blue XL yesterday, and while I'm loving it, I really miss my Hori wheel, which I used as a fulltime grip. Anyone know if there are any grips coming? I checked amazon, but all I saw was a preorder for a grip releasing in the end of Sept.

Eric C

Just got my blue XL yesterday, and while I'm loving it, I really miss my Hori wheel, which I used as a fulltime grip. Anyone know if there are any grips coming? I checked amazon, but all I saw was a preorder for a grip releasing in the end of Sept.
Just these so far. There will probably be more from Nyko and other companies before Christmas... but hopefully much sooner.
XL Grips

iHDJV.jpg

^ "CYBER" brand... have only seen it on Japanese websites so far

CInZC.png

^ DreamGear Comfort Grip

2XVMl.png

^ From some Chinese company. In the second pic, it looks like it blocks the headphone jack though. Seems to have a black version too.
pWI3x.png

They all seem to be releasing sometime in the beginning of October.

I wonder if Hori will make an XL wheel too?

Wolfe

Ah damn. Came home today after carrying my XL around with me, and lo and behold, there's a nice line on the top screen. Guess I should have been putting a cloth between the screens after all

At least it's on the screen protector, but I'm gonna have to replace it before it drives me and my OCD insane. And the Hori protectors are out of stock on Amazon, unless I want to pay lol30bucks.

It's ridiculous that this is still an issue. You'd think that would have been priority #1 when designing a new model.

People might disagree with me but part of the reason you have a line in your screen protector is that you're using a screen protector. Sure it's just a thin sheet of plastic or whatever it's made out of but it's still thickness between the two screens that was not accounted for during the units development/product testing.

There is next to no room between the two screens as it is so placing an extra layer in there is going to cause any contact issues to appear even faster.

Wolfe

Just these so far. There will probably be more from Nyko and other companies before Christmas... but hopefully much sooner.

I like the way a few of those are looking but at the moment all I care about is when the CPP is going to drop, I want to play RE:R and MGS3D again :D

Edit: Oops on the double post.

RPGCrazied

anyone else have dot scratches on the top screen? only way I can explain. Its like dust particles scratch the screen. They look like little dots. Bah.

But it sits in a case almost all the time, how?

So did anyone else in the US get a charging cradle from the Nintendo site? I just got mine in today and it's very nice.

Also...are there any cases for the system even close to the Vita first edition bundle case? I love that case and want something similar for my XL.

goomba

Banned
I wasn't going to buy a 3DS:XL . I figured my existing original 3DS would better compliment the WiiU on release (more portable).

However after I saw how much bigger those screens were, and the Warehouse were offering them for NZ$299 ($350 elsewhere), I jumped.

Ended up with silver as thats all they had left in stock, had planned for red but the silver looks nice and less toyish.

Super Mario 3D land is all kinds of awesome, I'm replaying and faring far better due to the big screens and more comfortable shape of the XL.

My only complaint is on my unit the top screen is warm (yellowish) where the bottom screen is cold (white) , the difference in hue is a bit off putting.

I wasn't going to buy a 3DS:XL . I figured my existing original 3DS would better compliment the WiiU on release (more portable).

However after I saw how much bigger those screens were, and the Warehouse were offering them for NZ$299 ($350 elsewhere), I jumped.

Ended up with silver as thats all they had left in stock, had planned for red but the silver looks nice and less toyish.

Super Mario 3D land is all kinds of awesome, I'm replaying and faring far better due to the big screens and more comfortable shape of the XL.

My only complaint is on my unit the top screen is warm (yellowish) where the bottom screen is cold (white) , the difference in hue is a bit off putting.

That's how my first one was. It sucked. The one I replaced it with has an equal amount of yellow on each screen. It's something you really notice in games where both screens are supposed to be the same color.

Only a few levels.. I've tried another NSMB2 and its the same though so its obviously the system.. I really don't want to have to send it back just for that.. Surely theres a solution =/

I'd call Nintendo Support and see if anyone else has reported this. If it's a known issue they should have a fix. Worst case they fix it for you for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom