• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

goomba

Banned
That's how my first one was. It sucked. The one I replaced it with has an equal amount of yellow on each screen. It's something you really notice in games where both screens are supposed to be the same color.

Dammit, I don't like my chances of convincing the Warehouse that the unit is faulty... May have to live with it. It's only especially noticeable when using the browser..

Blasty

If I were to trade in my 3DS would I be able to do the system transfer in stores if I had a phone acting as a mobile hotspot?

Dammit, I don't like my chances of convincing the Warehouse that the unit is faulty... May have to live with it. It's only especially noticeable when using the browser..

If you dont play a lot of games that share one similarly colored screen, I'd say ignore it. I have a lot of DS puzzle titles that split the screen, so for me it was truly awful to have one yellow screen and the other pretty much white. Now they're both yellow-ish, which still isn't what I'd want, but at least they're matched.

If I were to trade in my 3DS would I be able to do the system transfer in stores if I had a phone acting as a mobile hotspot?

Just make sure you have about 30 minutes to kill. That's how long both of my transfers took.

Drago

My unit's top screen is just a tad more yellow in 2D than the white bottom screen, but in 3D they are both the same level of white. I don't notice the difference much unless I use the internet browser, and even then it doesn't bother me much

Drago

holy fuck. am i going crazy or does pokemon black icon shake on the 3ds?

No other ds game does that!

=O

It's a DSi enhanced game, which can have animated icons (similar to how almost all DSiWare games have animated icons). 3DS runs DS games like a DSi would, so the icon is animated on 3DS as well. :)

Picked up mine today (red version, trading in my original color blue for the GS trade-in offer) along with SM3DL (picking up KH:DDD tomorrow using some of the trade-in return).

I had a bunch of issues with the original build-wise (scratching screens, dust behind the screens, etc.), so luckily there any issues that I can see. Both screens appear to be warm uniformly, which is fine by me since I disliked the cool color my original 3DS had.

Only played SM3DL and NSMB2 (digital) on it, but both games seems to be play fine. Nice not having to strain while wearing my glasses anymore while playing, that's for sure. :)

(Gonna have to print out that page from GS's website tomorrow, since the guy wanted to say it was for the original 3DS only. >.>)

Pikma

Banned
Ah damn. Came home today after carrying my XL around with me, and lo and behold, there's a nice line on the top screen. Guess I should have been putting a cloth between the screens after all

At least it's on the screen protector, but I'm gonna have to replace it before it drives me and my OCD insane. And the Hori protectors are out of stock on Amazon, unless I want to pay lol30bucks.

It's ridiculous that this is still an issue. You'd think that would have been priority #1 when designing a new model.

You should try ordering one from Amazon, I did two days ago and just received an e-mail telling me to expect it on September 4th (my birthday actually :D), and I used free shipping so they surely have some in stock right now.

It's a DSi enhanced game, which can have animated icons (similar to how almost all DSiWare games have animated icons). 3DS runs DS games like a DSi would, so the icon is animated on 3DS as well. :)

god damn...

wait how many dsi enhanced games are there? First time i've ever heard of them lol. I do recall black and white had video chat or something...

anyone else have dot scratches on the top screen? only way I can explain. Its like dust particles scratch the screen. They look like little dots. Bah.

But it sits in a case almost all the time, how?

I would get something like those on my old (aqua/purple) 3DS screens. They wouldn't come off with a cleaning cloth, but they would with a little screen solution and rag...

It was like they were little hardened particulates....whether from sneezing, talking, blowing into the mic or anything else. Dunno, haven't gotten any scratches or marks (like the OG screen lines) on my replacement XL or launch day XL.

Launch day 3DS XL vs store replacement XL:

I will say that my launch day XL had a cooler screen and looser bottom plate, d pad and looser hinge. The 3D also seemed easily "distorted by a wavy pattern and also ghosting" and I was disappointed that I couldn't find and keep a steady sweet spot., where it was never a problem on the OG 3DS. The replacement has a really sturdy/stiff hinge, barely any snap/crack noise when opening and locking its positions - and really, really clean/good 3D (easy sweet spot, easy to keep) - which led me to wonder now: were my previous top XL screens misaligned/defective?

No scratches though

god damn...

wait how many dsi enhanced games are there? First time i've ever heard of them lol. I do recall black and white had video chat or something...

The real bonus of DSi Enhanced games is that they take advantage of real networking encryption protocols offered by the DSi/XL/3DS/3DSXL.

Hey guys, quick question.

How is everyone's standby time with their new XLs? It seems like mine drains all the way in 24-48 hours of standby. Is that normal/acceptable/busted? This is with the networking switch still on, etc. Just trying to get a feel.

I don't seem to remember my OG 3DS croaking so quick, so I just wanted to get an idea about others.

Hey guys, quick question.

How is everyone's standby time with their new XLs? It seems like mine drains all the way in 24-48 hours of standby. Is that normal/acceptable/busted? This is with the networking switch still on, etc. Just trying to get a feel.

I don't seem to remember my OG 3DS croaking so quick, so I just wanted to get an idea about others.

With networking on, it's going to drain really fast. With it off I can get a few days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paCenhQLrtk

Phew!

I feel good about the 3DS XL durability.....for the most part

In that video they slow down time and drop the XL on its face/side/regular all from its open position. 3 individual drops! :O

That was painful to watch. But it survived beautifully. Anyone that whines about the wobble on their hinge should watch that and see why it's important.

RPGCrazied

I would get something like those on my old (aqua/purple) 3DS screens. They wouldn't come off with a cleaning cloth, but they would with a little screen solution and rag...

It was like they were little hardened particulates....whether from sneezing, talking, blowing into the mic or anything else. Dunno, haven't gotten any scratches or marks (like the OG screen lines) on my replacement XL or launch day XL.

Thank you! I was afraid to be putting any type of liquid on the top screen, but I used a little dab on a cleaning cloth and tried it, most if not all of them came off! I have one tiny one that seems to not clean off. Oh well.

Looks like new again!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Looks like a robotic crab with the lid closed.

2XVMl.png

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I noticed a line of what looked like marks from a pin on my top screen today. Right in line with the left and right side of the touch screen bezel.

Lucky my Hori screen protectors came today and fitted with no issues. Lifting the protector with some tape and using another bit of tape to trap dust is a life saver though. :p

Thank you! I was afraid to be putting any type of liquid on the top screen, but I used a little dab on a cleaning cloth and tried it, most if not all of them came off! I have one tiny one that seems to not clean off. Oh well.

Looks like new again!

Glad to have helped ^_^

See, its hakuna matata

Important question guys ! I'm planning to buy a 3DS XL tomorrow, but I want to know,, when you do system transfer, does it transfer your friend code and your activity log ?

I noticed a line of what looked like marks from a pin on my top screen today. Right in line with the left and right side of the touch screen bezel.

Lucky my Hori screen protectors came today and fitted with no issues. Lifting the protector with some tape and using another bit of tape to trap dust is a life saver though. :p

My first XL had that. Looked more like pitting than scratching, but the end result is the same (bad). I can't believe this problem is still with us.

Important question guys ! I'm planning to buy a 3DS XL tomorrow, but I want to know,, when you do system transfer, does it transfer your friend code and your activity log ?

Friend code and all your friends, yes. No idea about Activity Log. I never use it, but since the transfer moves every other piece of info stored on your internal memory, I would doubt they'd skip this.

plc268

Just these so far. There will probably be more from Nyko and other companies before Christmas... but hopefully much sooner.

Hnngg. Can't wait for those to be released. While the XL is more comfortable than the og 3ds, it's just too damn thin. My natural thumb position lies somewhere in the middle of the touch screen, not where the buttons are now.

Downhome

I'm so glad it transfered the activity log. I didn't want to lose my wife's stats on Nintendogs. I bet few people have as high stats as she does in that game.

Teknoman

Asked before, but anyone tried Bowser's inside story with the 3DSXL? I remember hearing the microphone on the original 3DS didnt work well at all with this game.

Mercutio

New 3DS owner. Psyched to be. :D

If I can only buy one: NSMB 2 or Super Mario 3D?

Probably Super Mario Land 3D. I would have said otherwise before beating NSMB 2, but now that I've beaten it I find myself going back to Mario Land to get better times and more coins on levels I've already beaten. I think Mario Land has a touch more meat.

For the record, I started them both at the same time.

Suffice it to say, if you're a Mario fan, the 3DS XL is your wet dream. 2D Mario - check. 3D Mario - check. Mario Kart - check. Paper Mario within a couple months - check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom