• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 new Mass Effect Screens (3/Apr/07)

Tabris

I don't see the issue, the screens still look good. Maybe a little bit rougher, but may just be image compression issues?

BamYouHaveAids said:
The textures and lighting look worse..... Does this mean it's getting a PS3 release?

You must not have played Oblivion PS3 eh? :p

Blackface

Banned
Kevar said:
yeah.. same, these look great. I can't wait.

It looks like an Xbox Game. The textures on the mountains, walls and player are all very low resolution. They are not using HDR lighting or any type of aliasing. It looks last gen except it can fit more things on the screen at once. Could be the fact that the screens were taken when it wasn't running at HD and then compressed wrong. Who knows.

Borys

Banned
Amazing downgrade in textures and overall quality.

I hope the 2008 PC version looks like those doctored screens from before. I don't see why it shouldn't?

Maybe Bioware is trying to dissapoint us, so when they release the game we will be that much more amazed?!

... eh I got nothing

Even GeoW had tons of bullshots released for it. You won't know exactly how good Mass Effect looks until it's in your machine.

Or until we get some hi-def video HINT BIOWARE HINT.

Deepblue

Banned
Borys said:
Amazing downgrade in textures and overall quality.

I hope the 2008 PC version looks like those doctored screens from before. I don't see why it shouldn't?

*sigh*

Turn up the contrast on these shots. They are washed out with crappy compression.

THE GAME LOOKS AS GOOD AS THE "DOCTORED" SCREENS.

I HAVE SEEN IT.

--------------cut thread here-----------------

Proelite

Trax416 said:
It looks like an Xbox Game. The textures on the mountains, walls and player are all very low rise. The are not using HDR lighting or any type of softshadowing. It looks lass gen except it can fit more things on the screen at once.

I completely agree, but Mass Effect doesn't look like this.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Given that various people on this website have seen this running not even a month ago, I'm inclined to believe that this is the work of bad compression and shitty captures. If I'm correct in my assessment, then marketing and PR needs their asses kicked for this.

Everything looks fine except the textures on the dude's arm/shoulder/back. They look a little low poly too. Does my post have more credibility if I sigh? Ok, here goes, *sigh*

Tabris

You know what's also possible? Maybe they had to compress the textures to fit on DVD and that's the issue? I mean think about this game, it must be MASSIVE with all the different audio clips (all the different conversation paths).

If you think about it, it totally makes sense as they're launching soon and probabaly needed to change filesizes/compression to get it under 9GB.

Borys

Banned
Deepblue said:
*sigh*

Turn up the contrast on these shots. They are washed out with crappy compression.

I HAVE SEEN IT.

The game will be fine, delicious even (it's Bioware for Christ sake, even their shit is better than everything else!) but you have to have some SERIOUS eye damage to not notice the lower-res textures on EVERYTHING in these new shots.

And as far as I can tell texture resolution has nothing to do with JPEG compression. You can notice JPEG comp. on edges and small objects.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Deepblue said:
*sigh*

I HAVE SEEN IT.

Just because I like people deciding their opinion is the end all to be all...

I think these latest screens look pretty bad, maybe it's just whoever released them took bad screencaps and the gamma/contrast is all out of whack.

They look bad either way.

Tabris said:
You know what's also possible? Maybe they had to compress the textures to fit on DVD and that's the issue? I mean think about this game, it must be MASSIVE with all the different audio clips (all the different conversation paths).

If you think about it, it totally makes sense as they're launching soon and probabaly needed to change filesizes/compression to get it under 9GB.

:lol

Blackface

Banned
Its more then the textures. It's the lighting aswell. If you have ever done any 3d rendering you know how much good lighting really helps.

White Man

Deepblue said:
*sigh*

I HAVE SEEN IT.

Sorry, contrast won't fix the unimpressive textures and geometry in this shot:

45311320070403_001931_3_big.jpg

Deepblue

Banned
Borys said:
The game will be fine, delicious even (it's Bioware for Christ sake, even their shit is better than everything else!) but you have to have some SERIOUS eye damage to not notice the lower-res textures on EVERYTHING in these new shots.

And as far as I can tell texture resolution has nothing to do with JPEG compression. You can notice JPEG comp. on edges and small objects.

*sigh*

The game is in development still. But anyway, I think you missed the point. I'm not basing my opinion of the game off of crappy screenshots, I am basing it on me staring at it with loving adoration on an LCD television in front of me.

Sometimes (hahahahah) GAF is a little nitpicky. But what does that matter, GAF will complain and complain about crappy screenshots, but when the final game comes out, I guarantee you will be more than satisfied with how the game looks.

Tabris said:
What? It's either that or bad image captures.

I highly doubt that Mass Effect went over the 9GB by that much that they had to scale the graphics back to this.

It would be a technical nightmare.

bengraven

Maybe they're fixing the framerate by dropping most of our belovedly beautiful textures? My guess and it's a sad one.

BUT NOT SAD ENOUGH. I still need this game soon.

sedaku

-They take ss from some crap builds (well, why release them)
-They have to dumb down texture to fix frame rates issue.
-The screens before were rendered on computer, the screen now are actually rendered from 360 hardware.
-They have to reduce texture due to size constraint.
-A bad April Fool joke.
-We're all blind, it still looked the same.

Any of the above can be possible.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Looks like ****ing pitfall mans i def wont buy no graphics no buy.

What the hell, its obviously compression. Jpegs are a bad idea.

Gigglepoo

Was anyone here actually excited for this game because of the graphics? These look fine. I'm sure the game will be all kinds of awesome, mind-blowing graphics or not.

Borys

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
I highly doubt that Mass Effect went over the 9GB by that much that they had to scale the graphics back to this.

It would be a technical nightmare.

Scaling back textures to 25% of their original resolution (say from 1024x1024 to 512x512) is a batch job that runs automatically. Same goes for recoding all the places in code where textures are loaded.

Scaling back on lighting and geometry is hard, especially on consoles.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Tabris said:
I don't see the issue, the screens still look good. Maybe a little bit rougher, but may just be image compression issues?

You must not have played Oblivion PS3 eh? :p

You must not have played Double Agent PS3 eh?

Each platform as their own strength.
And depending on the DEV your gonna get mix result.

Mar

The previous screenshots were wet your pants amazing. These ones... Still look great. But not quite as much seepage of the pantal area.

Tabris

OverHeat said:
You must not have played Double Agent PS3 eh?

Each platform as their own strength.
And depending on the DEV your gonna get mix result.

Yeah, you're correct, I didn't play some crappy tom clancy junk. (I'm just speaking about Double Agent here)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
In other news. The Rainbow Six type of Squad Management and being able to bring it back to almost a turnbased game on the fly is ****en REVOLUTIONARY. I wish all games of this genre were like that.

ypo

Guys there's nothing to see here. They just forgot to hit the "Hi-Rez this" button on the devkit. It's right next to the "Optimizer" button.

karasu

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Yeah, same.
Could only happen on GAF. Open your ****ing eyes goddamnit, look at that second screen! Looks amazing.
Oh who am I kidding. Go and play Resistance.

Have the people saying this ever looked at a Mass Effect screen before? EVER?

You guys are off your collective rocker. Sure, they aren't as good as the last few batches of screenshots, but did anyone REALLY believe the end result would look exactly like them?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fsTzor.jpg

FK4HfP.jpg

l8DqkM.jpg

pJWzty.jpg

And we're back on track!

Added motion blur, contrast and bump mapping on stones... IS THIS WHAT YOU PEOPLE WANT?

Chrono

Banned
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Yeah, same.
Could only happen on GAF. Open your ****ing eyes goddamnit, look at that second screen! Looks amazing.
Oh who am I kidding. Go and play Resistance.

Resistance rocks, bitch. :mad:

YYZ

That pic where you can see his back (the one where he is on the ground, not water) is especially bad. The texture is underwhelming.

But there are people here who have seen it in motion and assure us that the game looks better than that. I'll take their word for it since anything could've happened to screenshots. There are a lot of cases where screens don't do a game justice and videos look a whole lot better, like night and day sometimes.

tHoMNZ

To me, it looks like it's no longer running natively in an HD resolution, rather it's using the scaler upscale the output.....

BobFromPikeCreek said:
You guys are off your collective rocker. Sure, they aren't as good as the last few batches of screenshots, but did anyone REALLY believe the end result would look exactly like them?

Yes.
thefinger.gif

Top Bottom