• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 new Mass Effect Screens (3/Apr/07)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
BobFromPikeCreek said:
You guys are off your collective rocker. Sure, they aren't as good as the last few batches of screenshots, but did anyone REALLY believe the end result would look exactly like them?

After Microsoft Xbox-division claimings that Motorstorm & Killzone E3 2005 was pre-rendered (it was) and you would only see actual game-footage how it will be on your TV? I kinda did.

Kosma

Banned
Ok guys relax. Download any of the existing HD movies of the game. That's how it looks in motion.

The end.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
You guys are off your collective rocker. Sure, they aren't as good as the last few batches of screenshots, but did anyone REALLY believe the end result would look exactly like them?
I didn't think they would look exactly like them, but I didn't expect the game to be PS3tized this badly,they probaly did this on purpose so they can charge for a "hi-res texture pack' later on. Oh well, I wonder what the entitlement trophy looks like.

Dante

BamYouHaveAids said:
I didn't think they would look exactly like them, but I didn't expect the game to be PS3tized this badly,they probaly did this on purpose so they can charge for a "hi-res texture pack' later on. Oh well, I wonder what the entitlement trophy looks like.

Are you drunk tonight?

=| Nice to see the old KOTOR "Lets see how much grey we can use" mentality is still there. Impressive models let down by dull, boring texture and colour. PSO > This.

BamYouHaveAids said:

27844-avatar.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Deepblue said:
*sigh*

The game is in development still. But anyway, I think you missed the point. I'm not basing my opinion of the game off of crappy screenshots, I am basing it on me staring at it with loving adoration on an LCD television in front of me.

Sometimes (hahahahah) GAF is a little nitpicky. But what does that matter, GAF will complain and complain about crappy screenshots, but when the final game comes out, I guarantee you will be more than satisfied with how the game looks.

I think GAF are being fair. They aren't saying it looks bad period, just that it looks significantly worse than the other shots that were posted last month. I think thats a fair point to make and it doesn't need anyone to get defensive over.

If it looks great on the monitor in front of you, then thats great, but if it isn't represented by the screenshots then someone took crappy screenshots or took them from a bad build.

What are we supposed to use to make initial impressions of a game prior to release? You going to invite us all round to your place? No. We rely on shots provided for or taken under the control of the developers.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
oo Kosma oo said:
Ok guys relax. Download any of the existing HD movies of the game. That's how it looks in motion.

The end.
Didn't the SDF claim the same about the motorstorm and killzone vids?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
When you go back to older pics, it does look like a different game. If this isn't indicative of the game, these should have never been shown to the public.

This
mass-effect-20070306014521019.jpg

To this
930279_20070402_screen002.jpg

That is a pretty sizable fall.

As I've said before, I'll wait till retail. However, Microsoft and Bioware should expect the bitching that comes from ordeals like this

oo Kosma oo said:
Yeah but the in the Mass Effect ones you actually see the game being played.

well the game never looked as good as those books....but it does look great, so unless something has happened (yeah right)...people, like always, are relying far too much on pics

peace

neorej

ERMYGERD!
oo Kosma oo said:
Yeah but the in the Mass Effect ones you actually see the game being played.

o really? I can't remember a vid where I could see a person actually playing the game on a tv screen.

Please. Do link.

jimbo

Banned
You know for a bunch of so called "hardcore gamers" and elitists GAF sure as hell does have a problem with different camera angles of different areas of the SAME DAMN GAME.

I've noticed this a lot lately. As soon as a developer puts out some screens from awkward angles, that show more simplistic parts of the game....GAF calls downgrade. Then 2 days later when yet even more different pics of this same game gets posted....GAF says OOOOOO that looks SOOOO much better. And everyone is shocked at how they're able to get such an improvement in a couple of days.

I swear this shit is funny to me.

jimbo

Banned
neorej said:
o really? I can't remember a vid where I could see a person actually playing the game on a tv screen.

Please. Do link.

There's an in-game trailer on Xbox Live Marketplace since last year.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
jimbo said:
There's an in-game trailer on Xbox Live Marketplace since last year.

Dude, I agree with you and I don't think that these pics are what the retail build will look like. However, they've set a high water mark for the graphics of this game. People in marketing and PR should know that the people that consumes this media on the internet, message boards, especially this message board, are like sharks in water. My suggestion, don't just throw these pics out there and let them fend for themselves. Explain what is going on so people have a better understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

Rorschach

Wow..wha happen? Why would they release screens from an older build closer to release? Now let's wait for another blurry, compressed 6 second clip of the game!

Geoff9920

Where did these screens come from? Because they aren't on the official site unlike every other ME screen ever released.

Borys

Banned
Oh yeah, one more thing:

people saying it is scaled down because of the framerate are simply wrong cause we have seen some gameplay movies before and the framerate wasn't exactly bad (and the graphics were sweeeeeeeeeeeet).

Something... something strange has happened in Bioware that pushed them to release these disappointing screens. The game looked great and played great earlier as some of the folks that have seen it first-hand state.

EDIT: Agent Icebreezy nailed it. Note that there isn't any kind of shadowing in the recent pics, NONE AT ALL, just like it would be switched off on a lame-ass Windows XP PC.

Busty

Banned
To my (admittedly) GAF trained eye these shots simply don't look like the ones I've been salivating over for months.

You can't tell me that they are taken from a poor source or taken off some camera phone. There are too many fundamental flaws, like poor textures for one.

But in saying that, they must be from an earlier build, I simply don't see Mass Effect taking that much of a dive in quality from when the first 'fap' worthy shots came out to these weaksauce offerings.

I still believe.

painey

WoWzErS

isnt this the second batch of recently released screenshots of mass effect to be alot worse than what we've seen before

Aaron

Just looks like the post effects haven't been applied for a quick test build. Not something for public consumption, and not what the final game will look like.

Busty

Banned
Aaron said:
Just looks like the post effects haven't been applied for a quick test build. Not something for public consumption, and not what the final game will look like.

That's a pretty big stretch.....

If that is the case then more fool Bioware and Microsoft. They deserve every piece of scorn aimed at them over these shots if that's true.

Maybe certain environments just have more detail in spots than others? We've seen several areas with similar quality wall and floor textures before, just look at the environment with that one shiny lizard from a few weeks ago. People didn't talk about it because we were all impressed with the cool looking monster but it's still pretty much the same as what we're seeing now.

nubbe

I don't think the new screens are as impressive as the footage from the E3 and X06 builds...
It looks like all "layer effects" are gone, like self-shadowing... shadows in general, parallax mapping, reflective mapps and what not.

Aaron

Busty said:
That's a pretty big stretch.....

If that is the case then more fool Bioware and Microsoft. They deserve every piece of scorn aimed at them over these shots if that's true.
What? These aren't officially released shots. I haven't done any game programming, but 3D graphics packages have a quick render option where the textures are all low rez samples to do quick tests of animation and things. Jeux take images from wherever they can get them, so it's hard to judge the final game from them until the source is known.

I repeat: The final game will not look like this.

XSamu

Banned
Yeah they look worse then before and I hope it will look like it should in the end. But it's still impressive, stop complaining plz

Speevy

Banned
neorej said:

Please. Do link.

Yeah, games do tend to look better on those ultra distortion monitors.

Burger

OMGOSH

I'm totally not buying this game any more. This is unconscionable. How dare they release more screen shots that are not up to my high standards of unfinished software.

I might even sue them for offending my delicate sensibilities.

Top Bottom