• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 new Mass Effect Screens (3/Apr/07)

kaching said:
Is image compression typically responsible for this degree of washed-out contrast? That seems to be the biggest affront of these screens and certainly not a problem you'd expect to originate from the game itself but rather somewhere else along the way after obtaining the screens.
you tell me...

90400052sp1.jpg

that isn't even as compressed as you can go.

These new screens obviously aren't final, that side-by-side comparison on the last page shows that these new ones have no dynamic lighting model.

JCBossman

Banned
Borys said:
Oh yeah, one more thing:

people saying it is scaled down because of the framerate are simply wrong cause we have seen some gameplay movies before and the framerate wasn't exactly bad (and the graphics were sweeeeeeeeeeeet).

Something... something strange has happened in Bioware that pushed them to release these disappointing screens. The game looked great and played great earlier as some of the folks that have seen it first-hand state.

EDIT: Agent Icebreezy nailed it. Note that there isn't any kind of shadowing in the recent pics, NONE AT ALL, just like it would be switched off on a lame-ass Windows XP PC.

You do realize that if I had a crappy windows Xp Core Duo extreme, it would BLOW the DOORS of either the 360 or PS3 in CPU power right?

Mononofu

JCBossman said:
You do realize that if I had a crappy windows Xp Core Duo extreme, it would BLOW the DOORS of either the 360 or PS3 in CPU power right?

WHAT?

if I'm not mistaken it might match xenon according to capcom but when it comes to cell it's all how well you program for it. You might have to write twice as much code but a core duo extreme will choke against cell.

JCBossman said:
Folding@home kinda proves your theory wrong, and by kinda I mean you're totally foking wrong.

DCharlie

Banned
maybe they gave shitty captures to JeuxFrance because JeuxFrance are arseholes?

Folding@home kinda proves your theory wrong, and by kinda I mean you're totally foking wrong.

depends how you measure 'cpu power' - the PS3 isn't built to do EVERYTHING better.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
LegendofJoe said:
Sometimes I forgot just how full this forum is of critical, cynics. You guys are so constant at it you're even starting to pull me down to your level, and that sucks.
Im sorry I and others have good enough vision to tell the difference between a shitty looking pic and a great looking one.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Geez, more graphics bitching. I'm much more curious as to how the actual gameplay will turn out... will the combat system be fun and intuitive? Will the plot be good? Will there be a lot of subquests and exploration? Will this be the the third WRPG I actually enjoy?

yukoner

captive said:
Hell the first two were released march 6th, what happened since then? Or were they doctoring pictures the whole time? Or did they just compress the shit out of these to make them look assy?

These are obviously shitty captures from a compressed video. Logic is your friend.

Alex

People are dropping like flies, this is awesome.

The rollercoaster never ceases. First a game has amazing screens, then a batch of bad captures which makes it suddenly ugly, then another batch of pretties, then another batch of iffy captures and omg Mass Effect/Bioshock/what the **** ever developers are HACKS TRYING TO TRICK US.

I don't really like pictures at all any more though for these super shiny next-gen games, they have so many random effects dolling them up that it's hard to get a real impression of it from anything less than a decent sized video.

These pictures are obviously compressed really bad. In the latest OXM, they said they wouldn't be surprised if Mass Effect were one of the only masterpiece's this generation, also stating that it looks absolutely amazing.

Kinda funny how retarded people are sometimes. Kinda reminds me of the Enemy Territory thread where people couldn't understand the concept of resolution, compression, and AA/AF.

lix2k3

ummm...Bioware....keep the pics to yourself for a second. We really don't need to be tortured like this. We've been seeing gorgeous shots for months and now we get this....wow. Just chill, clean it up, and release the game. You're just hurting the game more than you're helping it now.

teepo

UncleGuito said:
Kinda funny how retarded people are sometimes. Kinda reminds me of the Enemy Territory thread where people couldn't understand the concept of resolution, compression, and AA/AF.

the worst part was the pc gamers didn't understand :(

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
pretty sure the engine has been done for a long time and they are just making new content now. no way they dropped lighting so much this late in development. bad captures.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DCharlie said:
maybe they had to drop the texture quality so they could port it to the PS3? *puts running shoes on....*

And he was doing so well until that messy dismount. That's gonna cost him, Susan.

dfyb

Banned
UncleGuito said:
In the latest OXM, they said they wouldn't be surprised if Mass Effect were one of the only masterpiece's this generation
that's one of the stupidest things i've ever heard.

UncleGuito said:
These pictures are obviously compressed really bad. In the latest OXM, they said they wouldn't be surprised if Mass Effect were one of the only masterpiece's this generation, also stating that it looks absolutely amazing.

Image compression doesn't have shit to do with this though, so I'm not sure why you would even bring that up.

Top Bottom