• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan's /v/ hosting their own Video Games Awards ceremony

soultron

Banned
/v/ is actually an alright place. I prefer /mu/ and /co/ though.

As for the consipiracy theory - it's rather hilarious, but we all got to admit that this past generation GAF had a clear preference towards the PS3. This is understandable considering who populates GAF (the sort of gamers who love the game that appear mostly on the PS3), and I don't consider it fanboyism, but still.
The only complaint I have against GAF is the "we are the best forum on the internet" mentality some users have, this is I think what /v/ don't like about GAF as well.

I mustn't hang in Gaming enough anymore to notice the PS3 preference. I seem to remember all the threads where the PS3 version of a multiplat game was borked. Bayonetta, Skyrim, etc.

Kusagari

I have yet to see MS/Nintendo fans ever do anything as annoying as the Uncharted 3 debacle or back in the early days of the generation when the PS3 fans literally posted Killzone 2 gifs in every thread on the forum.

Emitan

I have yet to see MS/Nintendo fans ever do anything as annoying as the Uncharted 3 debacle or back in the early days of the generation when the PS3 fans literally posted Killzone 2 gifs in every thread on the forum.

360 fanboys defend paying for the privilege of being bombarded with ads.

As for the consipiracy theory - it's rather hilarious, but we all got to admit that this past generation GAF had a clear preference towards the PS3.

This is a matter of perspective. I'd argue that, when I started lurking here years ago, there was a clear preference towards the PS2 and the craziest people on the board were Nintendo fans. Now I'd say that there isn't really a clear preference. North Americans are more inclined to be 360 owners, and Europeans PS3 owners, so it pretty much all balances out.

I will say that Sony fans are far and away the easiest to successfully troll.

Josh7289

Hahaha, such jaded categories, I love it!
KuGsj.gif

prwxv3

This is a matter of perspective. I'd argue that, when I started lurking here years ago, there was a clear preference towards the PS2 and the craziest people on the board were Nintendo fans. Now I'd say that there isn't really a clear preference. North Americans are more inclined to be 360 owners, and Europeans PS3 owners, so it pretty much all balances out.

Nintendo Fanboys are just as easy to troll. And recent Naughtydog threads have been ruined by elitists that think their values in games are "right" and everyone else is wrong. Same with with little big plannet/media molecule threads.

I don't see too much PS3 favoritism too much anymore around here. I remember it being very prominent a few years ago when I would lurk every now and then.

Im not talking about trolling those threads I am talking about shitposting those threads. There was this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458116 and instead of discussing the topic it was a war about the LBP controls and if MM is competent enough to make "good" controls.

And frankly that's a far more relevant discussion to be having than wanking over a press-release from them which says exactly nothing except "we're doing awesome things so you should buy our next game". By the way, the reason I posted that image is that your actions and words aren't really lining up right now.

I laughed for 5 solid minutes at those categories and nominations. The "Activision Award for crimes against gaming" just killed me. Brilliant categories.

njean777

/v/ is actually an alright place. I prefer /mu/ (music) and /co/ (comics) though.

As for the consipiracy theory - it's rather hilarious, but we all got to admit that this past generation GAF had a clear preference towards the PS3. This is understandable considering who populates GAF (the sort of gamers who love the game that appear mostly on the PS3), and I don't consider it fanboyism, but still.
The only complaint I have against GAF is the "we are the best forum on the internet" mentality some users have, this is I think what /v/ don't like about GAF as well.

well to be fair we dont have half of the stupid threads the kids make on V, Gaf usually likes to talk in civil ways about games, unlike 4chan where (yes I know it is just how they talk) but the n word is dropped a lot, and so is F** (insensitive word concerning homosexuals).

Btw I dont hate /v I just think some of the topics people post on their are obnoxious and just for attention.

threads like this just remind me that millions of people think Big Bang Theory is funny, and that believing such is their right. enough of you have commented on finding the category titles hilarious for me to instead file this under 'funny to many, but not to me'.

just because it's obvious or has been done a million times doesn't undermine the comedy for so many.

i will try to remember this in future.

oh, and we don't defend the adverts on XBL, we just find them less annoying than people repeatedly bringing them up, often when it's way off topic. like in this case.

threads like this just remind me that millions of people think Big Bang Theory is funny, and that believing such is their right. enough of you have commented on finding the category titles hilarious for me to instead file this under 'funny to many, but not to me'.

just because it's obvious or has been done a million times doesn't undermine the comedy for so many.

i will try to remember this in future.

stop-liking-things-i-dont-like.jpg

The titles aren't really funny to me but shit dude, 4chan is at least 15% funnier than Big Bang Theory.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
And frankly that's a far more relevant discussion to be having than wanking over a press-release from them which says exactly nothing except "we're doing awesome things so you should buy our next game". By the way, the reason I posted that image is that your actions and words aren't really lining up right now.

I would argue a quick glance at their recent post history tells everything you need to know. Lots of haters and fanboy comments.

Digging the awards by the way. Activision Award for Crimes against Humanity, Planescape award for Great Writing, Eye Bleeding Graphics, Hamburger Helper Award. Basically what you expect, but some creative naming makes it seem much better. Deus Ex:Human Revolution in Least Hated game warms my heart.

dude

dude
well to be fair we dont have half of the stupid threads the kids make on V, Gaf usually likes to talk in civil ways about games, unlike 4chan where (yes I know it is just how they talk) but the n word is dropped a lot, and so is F** (insensitive word concerning homosexuals).

Btw I dont hate /v I just think some of the topics people post on their are obnoxious and just for attention.
It's quite clear these words are used for comedy on 4chan. iI you can accept them as jokes it becomes a non-issue, as it's clear there's no racist or hateful sentiment behind them. But, if you're insulted by those words, it's probably best to just steer away of /v/...

And yes, /v/ is a lot of shit, but when it's not - it's worth it.

K.Sabot

It's funny, I've become a lot more okay with 4chan as time goes by and not the other way around.

I will watch with interest!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Heh, I like the crimes against gaming award.

Capcom
EA's Origin
Microsoft's E3 conference
Sony hacking scandal
Ubisoft's DRM

Tough call, but I'd probably go with Microsauce at E3 due to the emotional trauma it caused me.

njean777

It's quite clear these words are used for comedy on 4chan. iI you can accept them as jokes it becomes a non-issue, as it's clear there's no racist or hateful sentiment behind them. But, if you're insulted by those words, it's probably best to just steer away of /v/...

And yes, /v/ is a lot of shit, but when it's not - it's worth it.

Totally agree, I understand that the words are for comedic value, but it doesnt put a good light on them. I go to /v, but only at night, I have figured out that is when the good threads are usually up.

soultron

Banned
Dubs is when a user's post has two numbers that are the same. For example, imagine a post called 1234566. The 66 is dubs.

So, people trying to pose as separate posters, even when they're clearly identified by a number?

I'm still having problems understanding. I'm no good at the #chans.

prwxv3

I will give you the fact that people still fall for the "PS3 has no games" and this pic.
2bAQ9.jpg

Anyone that falls for this or uses it has evidence is retarded. /v/ has used this pic and a altered one (one where they say the dualshock was copied from RC car controllers and a double stick arcade game) many times and every time there is at least 100+ comments.

Always knew you were a fanboy.

She is kicking my arse right now so it was sort of to honour the fact. Longest boss fight I can recall ever playing, not helped by the fact that there's a cut-scene which needs to be stepped through with the A-button right smack in the middle of the fucking thing. I get everything rolling smoothly, she's down at like 10% then I lose concentration, get boned and have to start again.

Mechazawa

/v/'s felt a little insufferable lately. Feels like a lot of the threads have been homogenized lately with nothing but League of Legends and Dark Souls threads.

But god bless them and their stupid fucking Tribes image macros. Some of the best stuff to come out of that place.

dude

dude
So, people trying to pose as separate posters, even when they're clearly identified by a number?

No, this is just a post number, not a user number (like this post is post #244 and the next post will be #245, only for the whole forum instead of only this thread). Dubs are rare and hard to predict due to the fast pace of most 4chan boards, which lead to stuff like "dubs decides the name of my cat", and now it's all over 4chan.

Foffy

Banned

Many users just post as Anonymous. You can make a name, but each and every post has a number. No users are given numbers in their posts, the number is for what number that post is on that board. So the example I used would indicate that the post would have been the 1234566th on /v/, not a user with that number. That same user could make a post and it'd be given a different number.

Make sense?

prwxv3

http://chanarchive.org/tag/GETs here are a bunch of GET/Dubs threads.

And most GET/doubles attempts have either christian bale in american psycho.
doublesguy.jpg

Cirno to get 999 or off by one (998, 000, ect)
1319771710790.jpg

and they mostly have a short sentence like "eye am the strongest" or any sentence where I is switched with eye

KOG(King of Gets): Evil Yugi (Yami), mostly for 555..ect but can be used for any other get.
yugiyamiv4.png

Then there are pics with someone or thing pointing to the post numbers.

Jenga

Banned
/v/'s felt a little insufferable lately. Feels like a lot of the threads have been homogenized lately with nothing but League of Legends and Dark Souls threads.

But god bless them and their stupid fucking Tribes image macros. Some of the best stuff to come out of that place.
most aggravating thing about the LoL threads is that the community itself is shit

even our LoL thread is better and that's saying something

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

each post has its own number to be used as a reference.

so if i posted, it could be numbered 56478
you could respond to that post by typing >>56478

my next post would have a different number, so if we wanted to talk we would preface our discussions with the other persons most recent reference number [but any person could jump in and carry the conversation without you knowing if you're still talking to the same person].

example:

post 56478
nintendo sux

post 56589
>>56478
U suck.

post 57500
>>56589
>U

post 58012
>57500
OMG DUBS

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Naa, it has nothing to do with trying to pass as another poster. It's just a sort of meta-meme that is pervasive throughout 4chan. Posts with dubs are inherently more important than normal posts, posts with trips even more so, and Quads are the sign of a true internet hero.

As a benign example, someone may make a thread where the OP is "Trips decides what game I play through entirely in one sitting", and people keep posting in that thread hoping that their post number makes them the winrar.

jett

D-Member
LOL I love how it's just "Capcom" without any explanation in the Crimes Against Gaming awards. This is an award show I can get behind.

Top Bottom