• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan's /v/ hosting their own Video Games Awards ceremony

Busaiku

It's weird that Ghost Trick Phantom Detective is one of the nominees for least hated game of the year, but not for a new IP.

LegatoB

It's weird that Ghost Trick Phantom Detective is one of the nominees for least hated game of the year, but not for a new IP.
Ghost Trick has a fairly decisive ending, though. Not an impossible one to follow up, but one that would be hard to do so without changing up the cast, tone and pacing quite a bit.

Because it's video games related and the awards will actually represent the opinion of the more informed gamer.

I'd rather get that opinion without wading through forced comedy and in jokes thanks. Unless you don't think gaf has an informed opinion...

TheExodu5

Banned
The conspiracy chan thread is gold.

This gif was doctored to misrepresent gameplay on the Xbox 360. This gif was posted by a user named Wario64, who ironically was also the user named Drinky Crow.

Drinky Crow was known for aggressively bashing Nintendo, and encouraging people to "sell their DS its all over, join the winning team!" The "winning team" being the PSP.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
JdpYT.gif

Kinyou

4chan thinks we're all Sony fanboys who get paid to say things

Also: "VY Canis Majoris Award for fattest developer"

wut
The pic you see is that of Evillore, aka, Tyler Malka.

Using IRL photos is GAF's way of saying "we are not anonymous." Yes, they are attacking you directly. Here is the topic where the images were first noticed by other members of GAF
fakelaughsyulg.gif

Oh man the conspiracy stuff in that thread is awesome.

/v/ said:
The legend of the NeoGAF 1000

The infamous NeoGAF 1000 was the very topic that brought down the entire scam.

GAF was frequently claiming they were adding "a 1000 new users every month." Meanwhile these users would only post in sales topics, which was easy to track, and GAF's daily unique users did not increase. (Also very easy to check for yourself.) This led users to investigate the alleged "NeoGAF 1000." And once they discovred the truth, their accounts were quickly removed from the site.

Don't ever question the official story on NeoGAF. If you want to stay a member you have to keep your head down and never say anything controversial.

cat-spinning-cushion.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: /v/ opinion on GAF- why do I never see the Sony fanboys? Am I blind, or just awesome at staying out of shitty threads?

Frankly, there are tons of Sony superfans. And tons of Nintendo superfans. And tons of Microsoft superfans. And tons of PC superfans. And tons of Apple superfans. And tons of people who love or hate or love to hate just about every brand across every interest. That's what makes the allegations that "GAF IS BIASED" so insane. The place gets accused of being "biased towards" and "biased against" everything. You can pretty much guarantee that anyone who gets banned after a long record of console war silliness will complain that "GAF [mods] ARE BIASED [towards the thing they got banned for insulting / against the thing they got banned for running defence on]".

We're pretty good at banning the people that get out of hand, though, so most of the insufferable people don't last long and get pretty frequent time-outs :p

If anyone feels that moderation hasn't done a good job keeping a particular thread clean, I recommend PMing a mod.

I actually have literally no clue what that post is referring to. If someone wants to tell me a thread to investigate to look for, I guess, the "deleted posts" or whatever we're alleged to have done to cover up stuff, I can do that. Or if there's a specific userid or username I should be investigating, I can do that. I don't see any mysterious gaps in the user record or missing wads of accounts. I read NPD threads before I was a mod and I've never seen huge swaths of posts deleted. I'm not sure how anyone would track the "daily unique users" (I'm guessing something foolish like Alexa). I don't recall anyone on GAF ever claiming to be "adding" a particular number of users per month. I think at least 1000 people register per month but registrations are normally approved in batches as I'm sure everyone is aware. I dunno what else to say. I promise I'll get to the bottom of the conspiracy if anyone can tell me what to look for. :p

Derrick01

Banned
RE: /v/ opinion on GAF- why do I never see the Sony fanboys? Am I blind, or just awesome at staying out of shitty threads?

The problem is if you call out MS for their questionable lineup and happen to say something good about Sony's in the same thread, some people immediately place the Sony fanboy tag on you. Like I was called one in that thread a few days ago when I started the first 4 years of this gen as a 360 user with ps3 taking up about 10% of my time, and now I'm a PC gamer. Before my PC died a week ago I hadn't turned my PS3 on in a month.

No doubt we have actual fanboys of every side. In fact they're relatively easy to spot if you follow a lot of system-related threads, but I think many perceive the problem to be worse because they immediately place tags on anyone speaking ill of one and not the other.

rpmurphy

sorry but the nominees for that category are

Nominees:

Gabe Newell
Gabe Newell
Gabe Newell
Gabe Newell
Gabe Newell
Gabe Newell
Gabe Newell
Good that they added two extra nomination spaces in that category. I'm surprised they didn't put Notch in that one considering how much they pick on him for it.

DNF hitting a lot of nominations. lol

I actually have literally no clue what that post is referring to. If someone wants to tell me a thread to investigate to look for, I guess, the "deleted posts" or whatever we're alleged to have done to cover up stuff, I can do that. Or if there's a specific userid or username I should be investigating, I can do that. I don't see any mysterious gaps in the user record or missing wads of accounts. I read NPD threads before I was a mod and I've never seen huge swaths of posts deleted. I'm not sure how anyone would track the "daily unique users" (I'm guessing something foolish like Alexa). I don't recall anyone on GAF ever claiming to be "adding" a particular number of users per month. I think at least 1000 people register per month but registrations are normally approved in batches as I'm sure everyone is aware. I dunno what else to say. I promise I'll get to the bottom of the conspiracy if anyone can tell me what to look for. :p
yeah right. you guys are totally biased. like that one time i personally insulted a guy and you banned me. WHY ARE YOU BIASED AGAINST KITTENS?

I'm actually really hoping that he was taking the piss out of the OP :lol

There is some amazing stuff in there though, I like how we conspired with 1up to conceal the truth about GTAIV on the 360. And seriously that whole post about RP January being a DIRECT ATTACK on anonymous, replete with smiling EviLore photo in the corner, had me in tears I was laughing so hard.

You must think I said it was cruel. I'm sure /v/ think their in jokes are hilarious, but I'm not part of /v/. Is this award show solely aimed at /v/?

You missed the point again. It isn't that they think that making fun of Gabe's weight is hilarious or cutting edge. They love Gabe and Valve more than just about any other person/company in the business. Jokes about his weight are part and parcel of this.

This is the same type of environment that produces a "least hated game of the year" award and yet still remains far less serious than GAF about most things.

You missed the point again. It isn't that they think that making fun of Gabe's weight is hilarious or cutting edge. They love Gabe and Valve more than just about any other person/company in the business. Jokes about his weight are part and parcel of this.

This is the same type of environment that produces a "least hated game of the year" award and yet still remains far less serious than GAF about most things.

i missed the part where that makes it anything other than tired and obvious. i missed the part where it makes it FUNNY. which was my only complaint about it in the first place.

that it isn't funny.

someone defending it, even said it was the 'easiest' joke to make. so no. i'm not the one missing the point.

'it isn't funny'.

'but they love Gabe!'

'and?'

if you have to explain a joke...

You know.

I understand everything you've written.

And I don't really disagree with the facts.

But 4chan is still terrible.

The neogaf conspiracy thread was awesome. People spent hours trying to make stuff up to laugh about. Don't take anything serious there.

At the core of it /v/ is a great place to go for honest opinions about games, it's also amusing and whether they like it or not the board is *buzzword* to be a part of.

Actually made me proud when they beat Reddit at Tribes this weekend with a team that was put together half an hour before the match. Complete with a 140 ping BR player and a furry tripcode user. Reddits team had trained together for days lol

Sounds fun. Lol'd @ the Reddit award.

So....am I missing something? Why do they dislike Minecraft ?

But, funny category names, some good choices - looks better than a lot of award picks!

The neogaf conspiracy thread was awesome. People spent hours trying to make stuff up to laugh about. Don't take anything serious there.

Obviously, but that's sort of the problem with 4chan. You have to assume that every single thing being posted is attention-whoring troll-bait, because 9 times out of 10 that's all it is. Posts exist so that the poster can look at how many replies they get, they don't exist as part of a discourse.

Which is fine of course, but it's not for me.

Top Bottom