• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K TV's For Around $1000?

Is there such a thing as a 1080p HDR TV?

I'm pretty sure I dont need to go 4K and don't plan on pushing my PC in that direction for some time. But the improvements in colour etc that HDR offers would be interesting.

I'd suggest taking a look at Hisense, if they are available.

Thanks, although I read conflicting things about the currently available models regarding HDR.

Especially when I read stuff like "HDR compatible" or that it will be supplied with a later firmware update (in case of some Pansonic TV that was like a year ago and still nothing).

Are they trying to bullshit you like when 720p TVs were around but 1080p was the next big thing? Lots of TVs would be "1080p compatible" but that just meant that they could accept the signal via HDMI and downscale it on their 720p panels :p

Unlike resolution it seems it's not so easy to look for a value in the data sheets to confirm HDR, or is there?

Hip Hop

so HDR is a huge deal?

I feel like jumping in this holiday season.

How are 4k TV's if I also want to use it for PC 4k gaming? I feel like that would make me go for it, but I'll also be using for console and streaming. As far as PC gaming, I won't be using the mouse, would mainly use it with a controller.

HDR won't be in use with a PC, right?

Looking what's locally available I noticed the Samsung KU6000 series.
http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/tv-av/tv/uhd/UA50KU6000KXXS

Seems to have a decent price locally compared to other 50/55" 4K TVs (I think I only saw cheaper ones from LG), but I'm confused that this is the older series I think (there's like 7 and 8 series) but still advertises 4K with HDR. Is that some sort of fake HDR (they call it "HDR pro")?
I don't get why but I'm having trouble googling some serious comparisons beyond clickbait list advertisement/news so it's hard to grasp what is actually better about the newer models that are also much more expensive.

edit: okay, I see what's up
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300
60(50)hz refresh rate and HDR support but can't actually display better colors...

As a follow up, I bought now the 2016 LG model UH7700 (or 770T depending on your region). The cheaper options were simply not available locally. Had to increase the budget I set for myself and went with 49" instead of 55". Luckily I'm sitting only ~1.60m away.
It's definitely not perfect, lacking in brightness and black levels (no OLED) but I could literally not find a cheaper TV that has:
- HDR (and not just support or "getting update later on")
- 120hz actual framerate (and not that trumotion interpolation bs)
- can display a 24fps signal (blu-rays etc) without stutter or soap opera effect (that's why I couldn't go Samsung)

But now I'm pretty happy with my purchase as I could tick off the things I care about / having it future proof. I wish I could have waited till next year though.

Spend like two hours yesterday calibrating every setting haha but so worth it. Now it looks nice with minimal artifacts.
Oh and first time I've own a smart TV and I must say it's pretty cool. It has e.g. a Plex app and it recognizes the PS4 profile via HDMI and lets me control the console via TV remote. Coupled with Suspend Resume mode I now literally have to press only one button on the controller to get back into the game when I come home.

Dubz

Update.

I bought a Sony XBR850B for $1250, and I fucking love it. I have been watching Daredevil in 4K and it looks amazing. If anybody is looking for a inexpensive 4K, I would highly recommend this TV.

Saw this at Best Buy today, looks like a pretty good deal.
Can anyone weigh in on that?
Or is it still a good idea to wait for Black Friday?

link
LG - 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV - Black

Reallink

Saw this at Best Buy today, looks like a pretty good deal.
Can anyone weigh in on that?
Or is it still a good idea to wait for Black Friday?

link
LG - 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV - Black

LG's low ends sets are so called "Faux-K" or "Fake-K" 4K sets. They use a WRGB pixel structure that substitutes a White subpixel for either the R, G, or B in each trio. With colored material, this represents a 25-33% resolution loss (so they're technically 3K displays or less). It's "legal" to sell them as 4K because the standards resolution patterns are black and white (which it passes), not color

DeeBatch

Get either Vizio P or Ks8500 .. Ks8500 is brighter and higher colur gamut. Vizio does both Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10 also being a full array led.

DeeBatch

LG's low ends sets are so called "Faux-K" or "Fake-K" 4K sets. They use a WRGB pixel structure that substitutes a White subpixel for either the R, G, or B in each trio. With colored material, this represents a 25-33% resolution loss (so they're technically 3K displays or less). It's "legal" to sell them as 4K because the standards resolution patterns are black and white (which it passes), not color

This is correct thanks for pointing this out.. Should not be marketed as 4k SMH

DeeBatch

Update.

I bought a Sony XBR850B for $1250, and I fucking love it. I have been watching Daredevil in 4K and it looks amazing. If anybody is looking for a inexpensive 4K, I would highly recommend this TV.

This Tv does not have HDr or 10 bit panel. It is also edge lit 850B is sub par TBH. 850B is 3 years old and does not have new tech. Get a D model over any B and 900D and up.

Is there a difference between KS and KU sets?

I can't find KS sets here (Aus) only KU. I'm wondering if it's just called something different in Australia.

Rizific

for all you "wait for black friday" peeps, keep in mind that its common practice for manufacturers to make a specific model to sell specifically on/around black friday that isnt a part of their regular line up. so if you see a good deal around then, do some research before committing to a purchase. i picked up a 60" sony black friday model in 2014. and while it was pretty happy with it, its already started to give me problems. but thats just my experience. based on that, im definitely staying away from black friday specific models from here on out. looking to replace it with a 60-65" vizio m/p series this black friday if a deal pops up.

Right now, HDR10 due to UHD Blu-Ray. However, the P series is supposed to be getting an HDR10 update before the end of the summer. Then it will be the only set that has both Dolby Vision & HDR10 on the market.

I have a 2014 Samsung 4K. I will be buying the Vizio when I get a chance, if that tells you anything.

LG's 2016 Super UHD models and OLEDS were the first TVs to support HDR 10 and Dolby Vision. I believe with LG anything marked as UHD Premium will support both while UHD Pro is just HDR 10.

so HDR is a huge deal?

I feel like jumping in this holiday season.

How are 4k TV's if I also want to use it for PC 4k gaming? I feel like that would make me go for it, but I'll also be using for console and streaming. As far as PC gaming, I won't be using the mouse, would mainly use it with a controller.

Yes, if you're buying a 4k tv without HDR, you're doing it wrong and essentially wasting money.

Looking what's locally available I noticed the Samsung KU6000 series.
http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/tv-av/tv/uhd/UA50KU6000KXXS

Seems to have a decent price locally compared to other 50/55" 4K TVs (I think I only saw cheaper ones from LG), but I'm confused that this is the older series I think (there's like 7 and 8 series) but still advertises 4K with HDR. Is that some sort of fake HDR (they call it "HDR pro")?
I don't get why but I'm having trouble googling some serious comparisons beyond clickbait list advertisement/news so it's hard to grasp what is actually better about the newer models that are also much more expensive.

edit: okay, I see what's up
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300
60(50)hz refresh rate and HDR support but can't actually display better colors...

It will display HDR but you won't get the better colors of a KS model Samsung because it won't have a 10 bit panel.

for all you "wait for black friday" peeps, keep in mind that its common practice for manufacturers to make a specific model to sell specifically on/around black friday that isnt a part of their regular line up. so if you see a good deal around then, do some research before committing to a purchase. i picked up a 60" sony black friday model in 2014. and while it was pretty happy with it, its already started to give me problems. but thats just my experience. based on that, im definitely staying away from black friday specific models from here on out. looking to replace it with a 60-65" vizio m/p series this black friday if a deal pops up.
Yup, what is put out these days are stripped down versions of the lowest end model, which are already a stripped down. Just look at Vizio, for example, and start at the features of the P-series and work your way backwards through the models. Now imagine something worse than the D-series. That's your Black Friday special.

jadedm17

Yes, if you're buying a 4k tv without HDR, you're doing it wrong and essentially wasting money.

HDR is something I high regret not getting for my 4K purchase two months ago, but its hardly "wasting money" since its still a very costly feature.

Personally my 65" LG was $700 after Dell credit and a new card bonus; It's an excellent set otherwise.

If you're buying a new TV and can afford it HDR is a must.

for all you "wait for black friday" peeps, keep in mind that its common practice for manufacturers to make a specific model to sell specifically on/around black friday that isnt a part of their regular line up.

It's always important to keep in mind that most of the time "You get what you pay for" holds true.

That said, my mom got a 50" 1080P tv for $199 easily on Black Friday 2014 that is a far better set than what I've seen double that price.

Black Friday will still have some decent deals for mid-to-high range sets as well as that's usually when they clear room for next year's models; Not to mention waiting is always good since technology always drops in price. As on Gaffer said : Its a river, always flowing, sometimes you've gotta dive in. If you can wait it'll only benefit you.

MaDKaT

My old plasma gave up its ghost earlier this week and we decided to get a new set. Settled on a Samsung KS8000 (65") due to reviews, low latency, and most importantly, it was available to pick up immediately. After a week of tweaking we are very satisfied with it. Movies look great, what limited 4k content we have watched is pretty impressive and gaming at 4k is pretty cool. If you don't need 55+" the 50" was about 1k$.

All AMD Polaris cards have HDMI 2.0 and HDR support.

I ordered a $109 RX 460 for my HTPC. Not sure what all will be available for it, since I've not seen any rumors about UHD drives... but I wanted a 4K60FPS desktop.

Edit: I suppose I can try any of the Windows Store games that support HDR. I can play them at 1080p medium setting and HDR, lol.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Some tips for people looking to buy a HDR UHD ("4k") TV.

- Make sure that it is a 10bit panel which is required to produce better colour range required by DCI-P3 / Rec.2020 specs.

- Go for FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) if you will be buying an LCD display since edge lit LCD's simply have a worse HDR range due to their lack of light output. FALD also gives other advantages too when it comes to picture quality so it's worth the extra money.

- Panel type when it comes to LCD (TV) VA is preferred over IPS due to the better native contrast ratio & black levels. However, the viewing angle is better on IPS panels.

- Dolby Vision is a nice bonus to have but only LG & Vizo currently support Dolby Vision & HDR you won't see many sets support both apart from these two manufacturers.

- 4:4:4 chroma support is nice and worth looking out for, also insure the display does judder free 24p.

- Read as many reviews as you can good sources are http://www.rtings.com & http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk most of the time sales people well have no fucking idea what they are talking about so do your own research.

Does anyone have the 2016 50" Vizio P-Series? I noticed that the RTINGS review is for the 65" unit, and it sounds like there are some differences between sizes.

Just wondering if it's still worth getting the 50", or if I should save some money and get the 55" KU6300. I know it doesn't have 10-bit, but it's still going to be a huge upgrade over my several years old LG LCD.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Does anyone have the 2016 50" Vizio P-Series? I noticed that the RTINGS review is for the 65" unit, and it sounds like there are some differences between sizes.

Just wondering if it's still worth getting the 50", or if I should save some money and get the 55" KU6300. I know it doesn't have 10-bit, but it's still going to be a huge upgrade over my several years old LG LCD.

Found this review of the 50" Vizio.

http://hdguru.com/review-vizios-p50-c1-4k-ultra-hd-display-with-dolby-vision/

Bubba77

I bought the 8000 series samsung this weekend. 60 inch for 1499 at bestbuy. The 55 is closer to 1000. I love the thing. It has great performance in hdr game mode with regards to input lag. Netflix 4k and 4k blu rays look great.
Xbone games look nice upscaled as well. Cant wait for FH3 for real hdr games.

I got a steal on a samsung 55 uhd 4k smart led tv at target like 2 months ago. Got it for 899 with kartwheel discounts and store discounts. Greatest tv ever! So u can get good deals if u look around.

When will 8k TVs become a thing? 4k with HDR looks so great to me that i cannot comprehend what 8k looks like

4x 4K.... so really fucking awesome looking.

I bet in 10 years they be the primary TVs in shops.

At that point we will really finally barely need anti-aliasing... lmao. Except a light pass for shimmer stuff I guess.

x3sphere

When will 8k TVs become a thing? 4k with HDR looks so great to me that i cannot comprehend what 8k looks like

I expect the 4K -> 8K transition will be shorter than 1080P -> 4K.

I'd expect in a year or two you will see an 8K set, but will be obscenely expensive to start like the first 4K TVs were, so probably $10K or something. IIRC there are already some 8K panels produced from Sharp, though they cost something crazy like over $100K so not really for consumers: http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/17/technology/8k-tv/

I purchased the 55" Sony Bravia X810C because it has really high ratings for gaming. I've downloaded some 4K movie torrents and they look amazing to me. The NASA 4K stuff is what really sold me on 4K, it's just insane.

You can get this TV for $850 on Amazon.

Acrylic7

lol $1000 is way too much. I find good name 4k's like Samsung all the time in the $500-$700 range.

gotta do some serious deal hunting.

Harp

The vizio p series is a good price and quality combination. The sony,lg, and Samsung are tvs you want to buy at the higherend and closer to $2,000. Yeah you can get those brands for cheaper. But they are still playing the game of keep all the best tech out of the low end tvs.

And HDr gaming I still don't quite understand no tvs HDr mode has videogames in mind. There all tuned for movies. I guess we will see what Microsoft really means by HDR in about a month. But as far as movies go the quality comes with the combination of HDr and wide color gamut. I think the benefits of HDr in gaming can be done in engine and work on any tv.

Fbh

Got a 55" Samsung 8500 for around $1000 a few months ago (was on sale and I have worker discount in that store).... And I had $500 gifcard

Overall it's pretty good. Upscaling is nice and bright scenes in particular look really amazing even in 1080.
It has some backlight bleeding though I read it's normal in this model. It's not really notorious unless the screen is entirely dark (like a change of scene in movies). And it still has that notorious "whiteish" blacks though I see that in every LCD/LED display

Man you guys are seriously overpaying.
I have a 55inch 4k LG that I paid $523 for at Walmart.

I had to check the date of this thread to make sure this was a 2016 thread
Does it have HDR? Is it an edge-lit LED? What's the input lag like?

That's cool you got a good-priced tv but I don't think others are overpaying when your set isn't comparable in many ways to ones people are recommending here.

This is ridiculously subjective.

I'm getting a 4K D-Series Vizio that has no HDR. Sorry but my budget can't go beyond ~$700 so I guess I'm doing it wrong. Frankly HDR doesn't matter to me right now, anyway.

EDIT: My 1080p Samsung is on the verge of dying so waiting isn't an option.

SOLDIER

How long until it becomes affordable enough to buy a TV that has:

OLED
HDR
3D
Low input lag
55 inches or higher

Those are all the things I'd want on my next TV.

lol $1000 is way too much. I find good name 4k's like Samsung all the time in the $500-$700 range.

gotta do some serious deal hunting.

Typically manufacturers make a no frills budget holiday TV model that people are willing to trample over others to get to on Black Friday. Doesn't mean it's good though.

McBryBry

I don't really follow TV's too much. I was just gonna say Vizio because its always Vizio and was already beaten to it! Fantastic company, and quality for price.

Top Bottom