• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K TV's For Around $1000?

Vizio p series is 1000 for the 50 inch, samsung ks8000 I got a 55 inch for 1300, great set and only has 22ms input lag for hdr gaming.

I strongly considered buying the Samsung for 1400 plus tax. I have no idea how you got that deal.

In the end, I decided that I would want a 65" set to fully take advantage of 4K resolution. So I'm waiting another year at least.

Im finally gonna go buy the samsung ks8000 tv with a sound bar. I Didnt know bestbuy had 24 month no interest so ill pay it off in a few months!

This is ridiculously subjective.

I'm getting a 4K D-Series Vizio that has no HDR. Sorry but my budget can't go beyond ~$700 so I guess I'm doing it wrong. Frankly HDR doesn't matter to me right now, anyway.

EDIT: My 1080p Samsung is on the verge of dying so waiting isn't an option.

It's not totally subjective, it's actually pretty objective. It would be like buying an HDTV without HDCP, which they did sell for a period of time. Jumping in too early without understanding the landscape and the long term prospects could be wasting money needlessly. Unless your TV doesn't turn on, or doesn't function, it's really not a great idea to jump on a 4K set at this point in time, especially if price is a big concern. We are litterally on the edge of a wave of TVs that are Premium UHD certified or at least specs that match the certification. There are some out now, and by next year they should be pretty common and possibly with pretty good pricing too. Getting something that doesn't conform to the standards is likely wasting money. Again, imagine if you got a TV that didn't have HDMI or had HDCP and think of how those things are utilized today as common and standard. Also keep in mind, it sounds like currently UHD Blu ray players don't seem to work very well with non HDR sets too.

I wish I didn't already have a 2014 4K model. Through my work I have access to Samsung discounts and can get a 55" KS8500 for $1,199, but I just can't convince myself to get it with a perfectly functional UB8500, even though it lacks HDR.

Lettuce

So ive never heard of the VIZIO brand before butthe last few months it keeps popping up and now everyone seems to be bang on about the P series.....whats so special about this TV???

gamz

So ive never heard of the VIZIO brand before butthe last few months it keeps popping up and now everyone seems to be bang on about the P series.....whats so special about this TV???

Good bang for your buck. Vizio's has been around a while.

Best price/performance ratio for any 2016 4K set, IMO. Vizio used to be more of a bottom feeder brand, but they've made some big strides the last couple of years.

The P series is one of their higher tier lines that includes HDR. The thing to keep in mind is Vizio is well known for offering decent quality for a good price. They're a good bang for your buck brand and not necessarily the best TV out there. So even though the P series is a higher tier line, it still fairly inexpensive relative to other sets offering the similar functionality.

-griffy-

Banned

They started as what was seen as cheap, budget TV's. Then they started really focusing on quality after seeing a gap in the TV market, expanding their lineup, and now they make legitimately some of the best TV's out there at very reasonable prices, especially when comparing them to equivalent displays from other brands, which only increases the quality/value ratio they offer.

I bought the 8000 series samsung this weekend. 60 inch for 1499 at bestbuy. The 55 is closer to 1000. I love the thing. It has great performance in hdr game mode with regards to input lag. Netflix 4k and 4k blu rays look great.
Xbone games look nice upscaled as well. Cant wait for FH3 for real hdr games.

lt only has 22ms lag with HDR on correct?

I saw that BuyDig through eBay has the 2016 Vizio M55-D0 on sale for $619.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vizio-M55-D0-55-Inch-4K-Ultra-HD-HDR-TV-Home-Theater-Display-/331922783072?hash=item4d4823bb60:g:U0kAAOSwaB5Xm3yb

I keep hearing great things about the TV, but just keep in mind it won't get nearly as bright or handle HDR content as well as the P series, and seems to have high input lag when HDR is on (but it at least still is compatible with HDR and Dolby Vision content, plus has full-array backlighting).

Kyne

Alright GAF.. I need some moral support here.

I told myself that I would wait until I move (October) to buy a new TV, but there’s a deal that I don’t think I can pass up. I’ll need someone to verbally tell me that I’m an idiot and I should buy this TV right now.

Model: Samsung UN60KS8000 60-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model)
Current Price: $1,499
Price after discount: $1,244
Shipping and Handling: Free
Promotional eGift Card: $475 (will use on Xbox One S / Sound Bar)

…

Like, I should get this. Right?

I told myself that I would wait until I move (October) to buy a new TV, but there’s a deal that I don’t think I can pass up. I’ll need someone to verbally tell me that I’m an idiot and I should buy this TV right now.

Where is this deal?

duhmetree

I know this thread is about 4Ktv's but does anyone have a recommendation for a 4K HDR monitor? do they even exist? I have a hard time finding anything.

gamz

…

Good review to boot.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

You're fucked.

I've had my eye on that 50" Vizio P-series for a while, but I recall reading something somewhere that the panel tech on the 50" (or 55") is different, and not as good as, the ones in the other models?

I really can't remember what exactly it was, or where I read it, but it was something about one of the sizes of the P series not having colors/blacks as good as the other sizes.

-griffy-

Banned
I've had my eye on that 50" Vizio P-series for a while, but I recall reading something somewhere that the panel tech on the 50" (or 55") is different, and not as good as, the ones in the other models?

I really can't remember what exactly it was, or where I read it, but it was something about one of the sizes of the P series not having colors/blacks as good as the other sizes.

The 55" uses an IPS panel (which has better viewing angles), whereas every other size uses a VA panel (which is brighter and has better contrast/black levels).

However, the 50" is a 60hz display, compared to 120hz for every other size.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 55" 2016 Vizio M series. Any reason not to, for that pricepoint? It's at the limit of what I'm willing to pay, and seems like a well rounded set with HDR10 and Dolby Vision. Was considering the LG UH6150, but the reviews are pretty bad.

The 55" uses an IPS panel (which has better viewing angles), whereas every other size uses a VA panel (which is brighter and has better contrast/black levels).

However, the 50" is a 60hz display, compared to 120hz for every other size.

Personally I just can't do IPS anymore if I have an alternative. I also want 120hz though, so the fact my perfect size is 50" but I need to buy a 65" to get all the features I want is just silly.

Also

Vizio 55" 2016 M series for $619.99 on Buydigs ebay site. Wouldn't recommend to those planning to use it as a PC monitor as it can't do 4:4:4. But from what I've seen from the local store model it's probably great for TV, Movies and console gaming.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331922783072?rmvSB=true&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2016

…

Is this Dell? I can't seem to replicate the deal when adding to the cart.

Personally I just can't do IPS anymore if I have an alternative. I also want 120hz though, so the fact my perfect size is 50" but I need to buy a 65" to get all the features I want is just silly.

Also

Vizio 55" 2016 M series for $619.99 on Buydigs ebay site. Wouldn't recommend to those planning to use it as a PC monitor as it can't do 4:4:4. But from what I've seen from the local store model it's probably great for TV, Movies and console gaming.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331922783072?rmvSB=true&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2016

Uh, I'm seeing it as $900USD. Also, in Canada I can't find it for less than $1,400. Am I getting ripped off?

Koppai

If you are going to get a 4K TV and use it for Gaming, stick to Sony TV's. Samsung TVs are the worst no matter how much they cost.

Kyne

Is this Dell? I can't seem to replicate the deal when adding to the cart.

Yeah it's Dell, however I get special deals through them so the entire package I described won't be available to everyone.

Probably gonna pull the trigger. I think this is too good to pass up and I'm saving over $700 on the package.

If you are going to get a 4K TV and use it for Gaming, stick to Sony TV's. Samsung TVs are the worst no matter how much they cost.

How do you figure? These are the numbers for the top rated gaming tvs of the two respective brands:

Sony X810C
Input Lag : 35.7 ms
With Interpolation : 68.3 ms
Outside Game Mode : 72.0 ms

Samsung KS8000
Input Lag : 20.9 ms
With Interpolation : 118.9 ms
Outside Game Mode : 113.5 ms

…

I have the 65KS8000. It's a great TV. However I had to return a few to get one that was mostly perfect. The problem is there's some light bleed at the top edge of the TV, but the amount it bleeds varies. I was able to get one that had no light bleed.

x3sphere

So how long until a quality 4K HDR OLED 50 inch TV can be had for around a 1000 bucks?

Another year or two maybe? Might not be 50 inch though, min OLED size right now is 55 and not sure that will change.

If you up your budget to $1300-1500 it should definitely be attainable with closeout sales on this year's models next year.

-griffy-

Banned
So what's the difference between this and the P?

*Edit* Got my answer.
The M series has an 8 bit panel while the P series has a 10 bit panel. The M doesn't have wide color gamut support while the P does.

So does this mean the M has a sort of faux HDR?

The M-series also only has 64 active LED zones for local dimming, compared to 128 for the P-series, which means the P-series will have better contrast and less light blooming in high contrast areas.

Though to be fair, the 2015 M-series only had 32 and the 2015 P had 64, so it's still pretty good.

Kyne

I'm trying to tell the difference between the KS8000 and 9000 but I don't really under stand what the difference is really

As the higher model, Samsung UN55KS9000 is priced at the higher price as well. I’m quite sure that you are thinking about the reason to choose Samsung UN55KS9000 than Samsung UN55KS8000 that priced at the lower price. The main reason to choose Samsung UN55KS9000 is the better picture quality. It comes with Supreme UHD Dimming and Supreme MR 240 as the higher standard for Dimming and refresh rate technology. Additionally Samsung UN55KS9000 also comes with more powerful 4.1Ch 60W speaker system than 2.1Ch 40W speaker system of Samsung UN55KS8000. So when you don’t mind to add $600 for your next 55-Inch Smart 4K UHD TV to get better picture technology as well as more powerful sound quality then you have the reason to go ahead with Samsung UN55KS9000.

^

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Are there any good 4K TV's at the $1000 price point?

I'm very confused with all of the new terminology like HDR, UHD, etc.... I'm looking for a 4K TV with minimal lag, at lest 50", and some staying power for around the $1000 price point. Does this TV exist, or am I going to have to wait a while?

I bought this one recently:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E69VEE6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had it for a few days, and it's quite lovely. Great price, great picture quality, and gaming on it has been awesome. I paid $622 USD for it including shipping and tax, but it's still under $1000. 50" as well. I love it so far, and since I only really use it for Gaming/Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/Youtube, it's perfect for me.

scitek

I just picked up an Xbox One S and a Vizio P50-C1. I'm getting signal dropouts every couple seconds, rendering it useless since I only got the One S for 4K Blu-ray.

I thought the 2016 models fixed that somewhat

My friend was researching TVs lately and was heavily interested in OLED and said from what he looked up, the LGs half life was around 16,000 hours since the blue degrades faster than the other colors and sometimes the half life mentioned is not based off the blue rating to make it sound like it lasts longer. 16,000 for half life seems too short for my taste for paying a premium on OLED.

x3sphere

My friend was researching TVs lately and was heavily interested in OLED and said from what he looked up, the LGs half life was around 16,000 hours since the blue degrades faster than the other colors and sometimes the half life mentioned is not based off the blue rating to make it sound like it lasts longer. 16,000 for half life seems too short for my taste for paying a premium on OLED.

The 2016 OLEDs are rated at 100,000 hours: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1465304750

Like any other TV the other electronics will probably fail before the panel itself goes out.

Rizific

I bought a 2015 vizio m80 a few months ago for $2600. The wife wanted at least a 70" in our living room and I really wanted a vizio set. But at the time, vizio didn't have the M series out yet or at least in 70"+. It's my first 4k set and I missed out on HDR =(. But I still have a 60" in my loft that I'll be replacing eventually so that replacement will likely be a 65-70" M series. Reading all this makes me sad that our main TV doesn't have hdr capabilities. And I planned on having the ps neo down there for the 4k Br player

Top Bottom