• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

J_Viper

Alright, I'm taking a ton of blu-rays to Bookoff to fund my 4K upgrade. I hope I don't get ripped off too badly

Vudu doesn't stream 4K on the PS4 Pro yet right?

They gotta get on that

robotrock

Banned
Alright, I'm taking a ton of blu-rays to Bookoff to fund my 4K upgrade. I hope I don't get ripped off too badly

Vudu doesn't stream 4K on the PS4 Pro yet right?

They gotta get on that

Vudu and Amazon both don't. I think the only 4k streaming on PS4 Pro is Plex and Netflix.

Hammer24

Banned
Both as in a movie that's in 4K and has 3D, or just separate discs for both?

Is 4K+3D technically impossible? I'm wondering if it's like 3D videogames where the resolution is lower than 1080p in order to apply the 3D effect.

Right now its two separate discs, the current tech standards don't allow for more.
And some Best Buy Steelbooks offer both 4K and 3D discs in one package - as far as I'm aware they are the only ones doing it.

J_Viper

Split and Get Out UHD codes don't redeem to Vudu, only ITunes and Fandango. Wtf Universal.

It's also disappointing that the codes for 4k Pacific Rim, 3:10 to Yuma, and Zero Dark Thirty don't redeem as UHD on Vudu either.

Then I find out I can't redeem my UHD John Wick code, because the regular 1080p version is already in my library.

This 4k upgrade isn't going as smoothly as I hoped lol
Vudu and Amazon both don't. I think the only 4k streaming on PS4 Pro is Plex and Netflix.

Didn't know Amazon wasn't 4k on PS4 either, thanks for the heads up!

Got my StarShip Troopers 4K steel book today from best buy. Can't wait to put it on and see how it is. Been a while since I've seen it.
I blind bought it because the steelbook is nice, but I've always been familiar with the movie and I love Robocop

Robot Pants

Anyone here have a Sony 900e?

Been adjusting my settings while watching Okja/Peewee/Glow on netflix and found that the 'live color' setting pretty much needs to be on medium or high(I think I'll keep it at medium). On low or none the daytime scenes look like evening scenes. Well lit rooms look like closets etc. HDR brightness settings are already at max.

Weird for me to do since years of avsforum has thought me to turn off all extra processing options.
Mine is a lesser model than yours. I have the x850c and my experience with live color is to have it set to HIGH.
The rtings calibration guide for my set is way off. I had to do my own and it looks fabulous.
That included putting
Advanced Contrast Enhancer to HIGH
Live Color to HIGH
Black Adjust LOW (maybe medium)

From what I've seen on mine, the increments are so small and hardly noticeable between low and high. But between OFF and HIGH makes a big enough difference to where I keep the setting on High

Robot Pants

Sorry for the double post but this is a separate issue.
So I finally got a hold of the Guardians 2 UHD Steelbook thanks to an awesome person on this board. And I'm watching it. Looks great. But it has a major disc skipping problem between chapter 10-11.
Like it won't play at all. It just skips way forward in time to a different scene.

I guess it's a known problem with the 4K disc. Might only be with the steelbook version (wonderful): http://www.avsforum.com/forum/#/topics/2887505?page=3

Did anyone else have this issue with their disc? Someone in that forum said they took it to Best Buy and got them to switch out the 4k disc for them. Others weren't so lucky when they tried that method.
Anyone with this problem manage to fix it? I'm kinda bummed

Robot Pants

Actually there are reports of the problem from everywhere. Walmart, target, Best Buy (non steelbook and steelbook).
Gonna try calling Disney (someone provided the number on that forum) and see if they will replace it.

My younger brother and I picked up E.T. the Extra Terrestrial Blu-ray steelbook at Target. It was on sale for $12.99, and today was the final day of the sale. We didn't know that it was getting a non-4K re-release, too. Since we don't have any 4K equipment and the 4K release was twice the price, we didn't go with that, in case anyone was wondering why we didn't pick that up instead.
GynfC0i.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Fry's had E.T. for $6.99 regular price for the last couple months. It was in some sort of non-standard packaging. Not sure if it was Steelbook.
The art was definitely different.

Westonian

Did anyone else have this issue with their disc? Someone in that forum said they took it to Best Buy and got them to switch out the 4k disc for them. Others weren't so lucky when they tried that method.
Anyone with this problem manage to fix it? I'm kinda bummed

What model player do you have?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I don't have any Fry's stores here in Florida. :(

Ah, that's no good.
This reminded me that Fry's has been getting some really weird stock lately, mostly store exclusives that I guess didn't sell. They have piles of Target-exclusive Josh Trank Fantastic 4.

I got the Best Buy or whatever steelbook of ET for super cheap like a year or two ago and still haven't watched it.
Having said that, it is back in theaters tomorrow and Wednesday. Might have to go since it was the first film I ever saw in theaters.

Does modern ET have the changes made from years ago where they replaced the guns with walkie talkies?
I checked last night since my brothers and I weren't sure, and it's the original theatrical release.

My younger brother figured it would be the original, as he says that Steven Spielberg regretted making the special edition version.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Does modern ET have the changes made from years ago where they replaced the guns with walkie talkies?

I checked last night since my brothers and I weren't sure, and it's the original theatrical release.

My younger brother figured it would be the original, as he says that Steven Spielberg regretted making the special edition version.
Yeah, last I checked in the original BD release, those extra scenes that were in the Special Edition have since been relegated to the deleted scenes portion.

Does the new 4k release at least contain the excised scene with Harrison Ford in it?

FN-2187

Any chance the X is better?

That's one of its selling major selling points for me

That's what I am hoping for. The S skips at least once a movie for me. If the X is the same, then I guess I gotta get a standalone player. Really wish Sony would make a new revision of the PS4 with a UHD drive.

Westonian

Best Buy is having a B1G1 sale for some Universal titles, including some 4Ks. Heaven help me I picked up Jason Bourne and The Huntsman Winter's War 4K.

Yeah, that's why I was wondering. I remember Spielberg regretting it. I don't hold much affinity for the movie, so I was really just curious.

Damn, according to someone on the blu-ray forum, Starship Troopers' 4k transfer isn't too hot

Not surprised by this at all. As soon as I saw it coming, I thought "that seems like something zero effort will be put into."

That's what I am hoping for. The S skips at least once a movie for me. If the X is the same, then I guess I gotta get a standalone player. Really wish Sony would make a new revision of the PS4 with a UHD drive.

Yep, I have the X on pre-order and I'm hoping it does the trick here so I don't need to buy a stand-alone.

Erudite

The 4K player on the xbox one s is known to be a skippy piece of crap. Learn to live with it being choppy with almost all 4k movies until you get another player.
Can anyone else confirm this? I'm in the process of trying to sell my Xbox One to buy an Xbox One S solely for 4k Blu-Ray Playback.. But if this is true, I'll just buy a dedicated player.

Robot Pants

The 4K player on the xbox one s is known to be a skippy piece of crap. Learn to live with it being choppy with almost all 4k movies until you get another player.

uh nah.
I've never had a problem with it at all. Ever.
and like I said its a known problem with other copies of the movie. Not just mine, and in the exact same place

Argyle

Can anyone else confirm this? I'm in the process of trying to sell my Xbox One to buy an Xbox One S solely for 4k Blu-Ray Playback.. But if this is true, I'll just buy a dedicated player.

It's been pretty crappy in my experience. I haven't even watched a movie all the way through on my Xbone S but I've tested discs on it and I usually see a glitch within a few minutes of starting a movie. The same discs play fine in my first generation Samsung UHD player so I'm pretty sure it's not the disc...

Plenty of us have had issues with the XBox. Plenty have also not. It is hit or miss. I'm sure the majority of people will have no problems. But, there are also too many of us who did/do.

soundtest

Banned
Do any devices outside of iOS support Fandango Now? Damn Universal for locking Get Out and Split out of Vudu. I also have no idea if these codes redeem to UHD or not.

On the subject of Starship Troopers, Brass Tax seems positive enough on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFJta7Z427c&t=379s

When i redeemed Get Out via FandangoNow it gave me the option to link my FNow account to Ultraviolet. Upon doing that, it showed up in my vudu account,albeit just the HDX version.

Had to cancel my order of the limited edition Blade Runner 4K as my brother needed money, hopefully i'll be grabbing it soon.

Has anyone got the limited edition yet, any thoughts? Isn't it just the 4K disc with the 30th Anniversary extras on blu rays?

On the upside, Alien: Covenant is arriving today!

I have a Xbox One S and it works pretty well. I only had a issue with Baywatch, but I think that was an Atmos issue or something, as it only happens with the audio track.

Otherwise it's been fine. Been better since the original beta software too.

Starship Troopers was awesome. The special effects hold up for the most parts, and I thought it looked and sounded good. There is a lot of film grain, but I think that's on purpose?

The Steelbook is really cool too I guess, like the propaganda look.

Top Bottom