• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

It's been pretty crappy in my experience. I haven't even watched a movie all the way through on my Xbone S but I've tested discs on it and I usually see a glitch within a few minutes of starting a movie. The same discs play fine in my first generation Samsung UHD player so I'm pretty sure it's not the disc...

I've seen at least one, sometims a few, skips / glitches per disc, probably about 50% of playbacks. 50% of the time it is glitch free. I found stopping the player and restarting the app helped fix it most of the time.

Kind of disappointing. Don't really have room for a dedicated UHD player, too many game consoles hooked up already.

J_Viper

When i redeemed Get Out via FandangoNow it gave me the option to link my FNow account to Ultraviolet. Upon doing that, it showed up in my vudu account,albeit just the HDX version.

Good to know! Disappointing that the UHD versions are locked to Fandango

Starship Troopers was awesome. The special effects hold up for the most parts, and I thought it looked and sounded good. There is a lot of film grain, but I think that's on purpose?

The Steelbook is really cool too I guess, like the propaganda look.
Nice to hear a positive impression. Was really hoping I wouldn't have to return the Steelbook

Has anyone ever had issues with audio on pop up videos in "Maximum Movie Mode"? I get the video pop ups, but no audio for them, just the movie audio. I'm using a Panasonic DMP-BD903P-K Blu-ray player. Haven't checked if my Xbox One would play it properly yet.

Edit: Same problem on Xbox One. Weird.

Nice to hear a positive impression. Was really hoping I wouldn't have to return the Steelbook

I'm by no means a harsh critic.

Here is a picture I took of my TV. The explosion scene looks better moving, but I really thought it 'popped' on the screen when I was watching it. Lots of colors and stuff.

HYiGNa9.jpg

I DID notice the film grain and I don't normally notice that kind of thing, but I was pretty close to the TV at the time, and it didn't bother me once I sat down.

I have an Atmos soundbar, and it sounded good, but I don't think the soundbar is much to judge on, the Atmos quality is only so-so most of the time anyways.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Well what do we have here? Warner Archive is releasing that 3 hour extended version of Superman that was broadcast over two nights on US television many years ago.

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - EXTENDED CUT & SPECIAL EDITION 2-FILM COLLECTION (1978,2000)
Run Time 188 Minutes-EXTENDED CUT (NEW 2017 1080p HD MASTER)
151 Minutes-SPECIAL EDITION
Subtitles Spanish, French, English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English (EXTENDED CUT)
DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 - French, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 - Spanish
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.40:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
COLOR
2-BD 50
Special Features (on Superman The Special Edition Disc): Commentary by Director Richard Donner and Creative Consultant Tom Mankiewicz; 3 Documentaries Taking Flight: The Development of Superman, Making Superman: Filming the Legend and The Magic Behind the Cape; Screen Tests; Restored Scenes; Additional Scenes; Additional Music Cues; Music-Only Track

Decades before blockbuster Extended Cuts were common, Superman proved a true ”Man of Tomorrow." Superman: The Movie received an ahead-of-its-time makeover for its television premiere – nearly 40 more minutes of story, creating a two-night television event. Audiences had already been swept off their feet by Christopher Reeve's Last Son of Krypton, and now there was more to enjoy. Unseen in decades, this version is paired here with Richard Donner's definitive vision of his film, the Special Edition Director's Cut (2000), to create a supersized celebration of Metropolis' favorite son that preserves the director's intent while feeding superfan demands.

21731064_10155716898496563_2382079175320172168_n.jpg

Hi everyone.

I have a question about OLED.

I have the LG B6 and felt assured by a lot of places that its a great TV. I agree, I love it and 4K/HDR movies look fantastic.

But one thing I do remember is that a lot of reviews criticised the HDR on LG's OLED panels. Can someone explain to me what I'm missing out on in terms of HDR by having this over, say, a KS7000 or QLED TV?

Because whilst I see a lot of 'HDR' is the future type speak, I also see people lauding the LG OLEDs which, supposedly, are lacking somewhat in HDR.

Although, paradoxically, they're also some of the only TVs with Dolby Vision which is the better form of HDR.

So, I'm a bit confused, I guess. Any help would be appreciated.

Realyst

Hi everyone.

I have the LG B6 and felt assured by a lot of places that its a great TV. I agree, I love it and 4K/HDR movies look fantastic.

But one thing I do remember is that a lot of reviews criticised the HDR on LG's OLED panels. Can someone explain to me what I'm missing out on in terms of HDR by having this over, say, a KS7000 or QLED TV?

Because whilst I see a lot of 'HDR' is the future type speak, I also see people lauding the LG OLEDs which, supposedly, are lacking somewhat in HDR.

Although, paradoxically, they're also some of the only TVs with Dolby Vision which is the better form of HDR.

I might be wrong, but I would assume that these reviewers have this opinion because of OLED's nits (brightness) potential when compared to LED/LCD and other technologies (besides plasma). I believe that OLED currently has a max brightness of around 600 nits, while the Samsung KS7000 can reportedly do over 1,000 nits.

Since HDR is all about contrast, the OLED is better at darker scenes (true black), while LED can burn retinas with its brightness. For what it's worth, I have an E6 and am always impressed with my panel's HDR ability. I've seen the sammys, and wouldn't trade my OLED's blacks and color reproduction for that brightness.

Hi everyone.

Hello.

I would also copy and paste this into the television thread. Far more active for questions such as yours

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1323499

mjc

Might get the UHD version of WW today, sucks that Target didn't make a version in the digibook. It'll look kinda weird next to my copies of MoS and BvS.

Daaaamn even the standard blu-ray is $25. WB isn't playing well with this release.

Hello.

I would also copy and paste this into the television thread. Far more active for questions such as yours

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1323499
Thank you, will do when I have the opportunity.

I might be wrong, but I would assume that these reviewers have this opinion because of OLED's nits (brightness) potential when compared to LED/LCD and other technologies (besides plasma). I believe that OLED currently has a max brightness of around 600 nits, while the Samsung KS7000 can reportedly do over 1,000 nits.

Since HDR is all about contrast, the OLED is better at darker scenes (true black), while LED can burn retinas with its brightness. For what it's worth, I have an E6 and am always impressed with my panel's HDR ability. I've seen the sammys, and wouldn't trade my OLED's blacks and color reproduction for that brightness.
I see. That's odd, I can sometimes find myself wincing at the brighter colours in movies when I have HDR.

Good to know that it looks better at darker scenes as opposed to lighter. It does seem like a bit of a toss up but I'm not surprised that there's no way to get the 'perfect' image.

That being said, I feel the same as you in terms of the blacks and colours, the screen astounds me constantly.

At this point I am a little surprised that DVDs have stuck around for as long as they have. I would have thought by now digital streaming services and blu-ray would have wiped them out. I guess there are a lot of DVD only homes still out there.

A lot of Blu-rays still coming with DVD copies and a lot of DVDs are still being released for new films.

I am curious what the breakdown is at this point.

JdFoX187

Banned
Might get the UHD version of WW today, sucks that Target didn't make a version in the digibook. It'll look kinda weird next to my copies of MoS and BvS.

Daaaamn even the standard blu-ray is $25. WB isn't playing well with this release.

Warner Bros. is notoriously expensive with their UHD releases. I bought Kong Skull Island for $30 at release because they just don't drop. It's still $30-35 in most places. Ridiculous. Hell, I was excited when Unforgiven dropped to $25, so I could finally pick it up -- and that's a damn catalog release.

mjc

Decided to just get the standard blu-ray digibook over the 4k release...if I really want it down the road it'll be easier to get than the digibook.

I'm planning to get the digibook if I can find it, too. If the Target website is to believed, though, it looks like the store my younger brother works at might not have a single copy of any version of the movie, which means he might not be able to bring me one home from work. It says some other stores have a few copies, so I guess I'll have to go to those.

Also, I'm gonna need that Superman: The Movie 2-pack Blu-ray.

Arc

Just got a Samsung MU6300 55 and have a One S. Any recommendations for a killer first UHD Blu-ray that will blow my friend's socks off?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
At this point I am a little surprised that DVDs have stuck around for as long as they have. I would have thought by now digital streaming services and blu-ray would have wiped them out. I guess there are a lot of DVD only homes still out there.

A lot of Blu-rays still coming with DVD copies and a lot of DVDs are still being released for new films.

I am curious what the breakdown is at this point.

I haven't looked into it for at least a year but last I saw Blu-ray had never overtaken DVD in weekly/monthly/annual unit sales or really even come close to it.
It beat DVD for some individual titles and that's it.
I heard someone saying they didn't want Blu-ray even though it was cheaper than the DVD and came with the DVD just yesterday.

Speaking of things I saw yesterday...

Yes, they're Steelbooks. Yes, the sale tag is for the Steelbook version.

I haven't looked into it for at least a year but last I saw Blu-ray had never overtaken DVD in weekly/monthly/annual unit sales or really even come close to it.
I heard someone saying they didn't want Blu-ray even though it was cheaper than the DVD and came with the DVD just yesterday.

That is the truth. Years of working retail (most of it video retail) showed me this over and over again. Even when the blu ray is less money and has the DVD and a digital copy, people still don't want it.
"I don't have a blu ray player. I don't want all that extra crap in that box."
As I think to myself, "Fine. Pay an extra $5 and get less stuff. I was just trying to save you money."

Oozer3993

Does it come with Dolby Vision on Vudu?

Yup!

This fan favorite addition to the DC Extended Universe is now available to add to your collection. Get it in up to 4K UHD with Dolby Vision HDR and Atmos sound for a truly wondrous experience with richer, more vibrant colors, and deeper, more immersive sound. So don your warrior uniform (hey, sweats have good fighting mobility) and watch instantly on Vudu.

As far as I know, everyone I know still uses DVDs. And I think all of them are also using composite cables. Once, I saw that a friend used RF for his DVD player...on a brand new HDTV. It looked terrible, but they didn't notice. Heh.

I only finally got a Blu-ray player when I got my Xbox One in August of 2014 (I now use a dedicated player, though). My older brother has a PlayStation 3 that he got in 2011 and we'd watch movies on that sometimes, but he didn't get too many. I only personally started buying Blu-ray movies last year, since I didn't even have an HDTV of my own until late April 2015. Then at the end of December that year, I ordered my first Blu-rays and got them in the mail early January 2016. Now I own over 100 movies (and one TV season) on Blu-ray. I'm addicted.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Denon 4300 got Dolby Vision / HLG Pass through today.

Finally have full DV / Atmos off of UHD disc through my receiver. The Despicable Me UHD DV looks amaze

Neith

Banned
Just ordered the ET UHD limited edition for 25 on Amazon. I could not resist this or the steelbook Fifth Element. I don't even have a 4K TV. I don't care.

Won't be getting new equipment until HDMI 2.1.

Just ordered the ET UHD limited edition for 25 on Amazon. I could not resist this or the steelbook Fifth Element. I don't even have a 4K TV. I don't care.

Won't be getting new equipment until HDMI 2.1.
I paid more than that for it and it was well worth it. Lovely set.

Stanng243

Speaking of things I saw yesterday...

Yes, they're Steelbooks. Yes, the sale tag is for the Steelbook version.

what store was that?

As someone with no interest in pursuing an Atmos setup (fine with my 5.1), do these three pair well together?

Yamaha RX-V383BL 5.1-Channel 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver with Bluetooth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXR6JK3/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (2017 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4RCPKO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sony XBR75X900E 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7XLYRF/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Uses are a combination of gaming (Switch and PS4Pro), movies, and TV. I may even hook my desktop up to it as well.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Wait wait wait.
I thought HDR pass through on receivers means all types.
It needs to be specifically DV compatible as well?

Oh yeah, your receiver has to know how to pass Dolby Vision for sure. HDR pass thru usually just implies HDR10. Denon didn't start shipping Dolby Vision on the unit until this year's 2017 models, they are patching 2016 (and some 2015 models)

You can't really blame them either as h tim recently there weren't any devices or content needing to do Dolby Vision over HDMI

Top Bottom