• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1/7.1 gaming headphones [more help required]

Rocket786

How long do wireless headsets like that last battery wise?

From the preview from Engadget:

"Estimated battery life is slated for 10-12 hours per charge, with an average lifespan of over three years. We're told a service replacement program will be offered if the battery dies out, as it's not user replaceable."

iNvid02

seems pretty cool, makes the wireless mixamp look like the half assed step i always thought it was

will wait for some reviews, want the sound quality to be as good as my a40s

I was thinking about getting a pair of 5.1 or 7.1 headphones, but the odds of the future consoles having optical inputs seem unlikely. I don't think the Wii U has an optical output and only does 5.1 throught the HDMI. So I am going to wait for a pair of heaphones that use HDMI.

I have been using my AD-700 and Mixamp 5.8 combo for a few months now (starting at post 166). Really enjoying it. Might pickup the A50 set since it has the mic in it too since I have been doing more online gaming.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I've been dealing with some horrible audio issues using the Logitech G35s.

Whenever I play dota2 I get this awful periodic crackle in the headphones and the occasional deafening static, to the point where it was painful to use the headphones and I have stopped using them for fear of damaging my ears. I've tried using different ports to resolve the issue to no avail, cleaned them as well. I'm thinking it's just the program, in a quick search I found that there was a similar issue with Dead Island that was resolved with a driver update. But on the other hand there are things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SPyTHWy5mA

Which is pretty much what happens to me for ~.5 seconds. I never turned the volume very loud to blow them out or anything, if they have been damaged by volume it would've only come from this error.

I'm using them to listen to a stream right now while talking in mumble free of static right now, I haven't used them in some time out of fear, but hopefully it holds.

Has anyone else dealt with a similar issue with the G35s? Have you resolved it?

I dropped my PX5 today and broke one of its hinges so now I'm thinking about buying something new.

What I need is:

5.1/7.1
Preferrably wired
Xbox 360 compatible like the PX5
Presets would be nice
PC compatability would be nice.

Razer Chimaera cost less than the PX5 but seems to have gotten good reviews, but I don't know, should be something more fitting for me.

Help me Gaf!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I was going to ask a question about just plugging an optical out cable to my tv and having it work for everything in my setup, but post number eleven answered it. LowEndTorque, thanks.

I'm probably going to go with the wireless Astro A40 setup, but I need to save up the $300.

iNvid02

yeah im gonna stick with my a40s until they break, and then buy some more a40s

also, you can update the firmware on a headset, awesome

Romir

The final shipment of ModMic V1s are back in stock for those of you wanting to turn your headphones into a headset.

http://www.modmic.com/

I broke down and ordered one today to use with my DT880 premium. I'm getting ready for GW2 and am tired of my logitech/creative usb headsets failing or glitching.

Riggs

Banned
I use Logitech G35s

41lvUj7Ro-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O5CCQK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Awesome sound quality, easy switch to turn on surround vs. stereo, and the microphone can be muted by raising the boom or by pressing a button the left ear piece. it also has some buttons on the ear piece which can be used to control other programs, like for music playback and stuff.

highly recommend em!

1st post is best post. Mine still work from April 2010 and that's after taking a lot of unintended abuse. They have problems in Max Payne 3, other then that it works wonders in every other game I have played.

1st post is best post. Mine still work from April 2010 and that's after taking a lot of unintended abuse. They have problems in Max Payne 3, other then that it works wonders in every other game I have played.

OMG I thought mine went kaput because of how f'd up Max Payne 3 was with my G35s! Dammit I already bought some new Astros instead. Son of a...

So I bought the DPX 21's the other day since I heard great things about the Earforce DSS:

DPX21.jpg

But then it came to my attention that for the same price I could get the DX12's which have the Earforce DSS2:

671.jpg

Is the DSS2 a huge improvement over the DSS? I know it has more equalizer options and virtual speaker positioning but I was just curious if anyone knew if there was something about it that made the original DSS the superior choice.

Sysgen

Anyone have experience with these 5.1/7.1 headphones from Monoprice.com

Price ($73) seems reasonable. I will be primarily using these on a PC.

Designed for Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and PC gaming
Compatible with Wii, iPod®, iPhone®, and other mobile devices
Includes two detachable boom microphones - one for gaming and the other for hands-free phone use
Compatible with Xbox Live Communication function
Includes both analog stereo and optical digital Toslink 7.1 channel inputs
Approved by Dolby for Dolby Digital 5.1, Pro Logic IIx, and Dolby Headphone
Amplified audio output for Xbox 360 and PS3, and optionally for PC operation

Lifetime warranty on all cables

97716.jpg

esai

So im thinking of getting the Creative ZX now and a pair of headphone later. I was also thinking about maybe getting some A40s w/ the mixamp. Would there be a big benefit to getting the A40s and mixamp once i have my soundcard or should i just find a good pair of headphones?

rrs

A good pair of headphones can do virtual surround sound better than headphones with 5 speakers, sound tinny, and/or weigh a ton.

A good pair of headphones can do virtual surround sound better than headphones with 5 speakers, sound tinny, and/or weigh a ton.

This. Get yourself a nicer set of cans for a comparable (sometimes even cheaper) price than the "surround sound" BS and pick up an external or clip on mic.

I'd recommend the Sony Pulse Elite headset (whatever it's called) highly. Just got one, and it sounds terrific.

Ditto. Fantastic. And the best part? I plug that USB stick into my PC and it works perfectly as well. Oh and then I can slap a mini stero cable into it and use it with my Vita/3DS/iPod. It is the bacon of headsets. Good with everything.

Do you think those Sony wireless headphones will work with PS4?

They work with everything else already. Can't see why not.

rrs

So im thinking of getting the Creative ZX now and a pair of headphone later. I was also thinking about maybe getting some A40s w/ the mixamp. Would there be a big benefit to getting the A40s and mixamp once i have my soundcard or should i just find a good pair of headphones?

Get a Sennheiser PC 350/360 instead of the Astros if you are getting a sweet sound card. Or even headphones with a cheap clip-on mic as Mr. Monitor said.

esai

Get a Sennheiser PC 350/360 instead of the Astros if you are getting a sweet sound card. Or even headphones with a cheap clip-on mic as Mr. Monitor said.

Think ill go headphones and clip on mic instead. but im really liking the 360s.

jayb

Ditto. Fantastic. And the best part? I plug that USB stick into my PC and it works perfectly as well. Oh and then I can slap a mini stero cable into it and use it with my Vita/3DS/iPod. It is the bacon of headsets. Good with everything.

They work with everything else already. Can't see why not.

The 3.5mm jack ensures they'll at least work with a stereo feed from PS4, but I think it's still a question as to whether the PS4 will support sending the 7.1 VSS through the USB port like the PS3 does.

I'm going to guess no, so they call sell a 'new and improved' PS4 headset. :/

The 3.5mm jack ensures they'll at least work with a stereo feed from PS4, but I think it's still a question as to whether the PS4 will support sending the 7.1 VSS through the USB port like the PS3 does.

I'm going to guess no, so they call sell a 'new and improved' PS4 headset. :/

Don't let the cynicism 'round here get you down.

The cans themselves are not branded PS3 at all, just a generic PS. They just came out, and new boxes are on the way. And, since they work wirelessly on PC (at least mine) with no additional drivers or anything, it'd be very surprising to me if they didn't work on PS4 as well.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Can someone please answer my question or at least bump this so I can get a response. I have the Astro a40 +Mix amp pro. Is the stream port a optical port? I have the mix amp connected to my pc but now I need to connect the mix amp to my speakers through optical also.

rrs

Can someone please answer my question or at least bump this so I can get a response. I have the Astro a40 +Mix amp pro. Is the stream port a optical port? I have the mix amp connected to my pc but now I need to connect the mix amp to my speakers through optical also.

Mini-optical from what I gather

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Well I tried it and I don't think it's a toslink port but I didn't try to hard to shove it in. I guess I'll have to get a splitter for my splitter. I have a 3 port splitter that went from my PS3, XBox, and PC to my speakers. Now I also need it to go to the Mixamp pro. I guess I'll try getting a 2 way splitter to split the out put between my speakers and my mix amp.

rrs

If I get a pair of PC360's, can I use the Astro Mixamp to power them, or should I just got with Astro's A50's?

Get a real amp, not a overpriced thing. Heck, I don't even have an amp for my PC350.

Well I tried it and I don't think it's a toslink port but I didn't try to hard to shove it in. I guess I'll have to get a splitter for my splitter. I have a 3 port splitter that went from my PS3, XBox, and PC to my speakers. Now I also need it to go to the Mixamp pro. I guess I'll try getting a 2 way splitter to split the out put between my speakers and my mix amp.

Got anything like this in the box?

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Got anything like this in the box?[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's the toslink cable. See my problem is that I want to connect multiple systems to the Astro mix amp at the same time. The mix amp for the a50 headset which I returned had a optical out port that I could connect my to my stereo speakers. I thought it would be the same for the a40 because I thought the stream port was optical out.

I'm going to buy one of these and hope that the signal doesn't get to degraded by the 2 splitters.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=966&seq=1&format=2

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t

OMG It is a toslink port. I wish the manual was a little bit more helpful. Under OPT it says Optical In/ 3.5mm stereo. So it's both but under Stream out it only says Stream out. I tried to put in the toslink cable again and it actually went in. So it is an optical pass through.

SOLDIER

I've been interested in getting a wireless pair of headphones, but what I really want is a pair that will work with all of my consoles, PC, and TV. I have a home theater receiver where all my devices are connected, so if there's a pair where I can just connect the headphones to the receiver and get the same benefit across all the devices, those are the headphones I want.

Snowballo

Could you suggest me a good headset for X360?
My budget 40~60 dollars.

Thanks guys.

What about Turtle Beach X12?
Price and reviews seem ok.

Top Bottom