• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1/7.1 gaming headphones [more help required]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Astro arrived. Cans are still in the mail, but I've had some time to play around with it using my current.

Much like my soundcard I'm honestly not sure how to feel, and not convinced that Dolby Headphone does much more than make an already perfect sounding audio echo more with less clarity. I'm really not getting a convincing 'surround sound' effect that I could say sounds better than with Dolby Headphone off. My housemate gave it a shot at work, with games and film, and felt the same way.

It may grow on me, but Dolby Headphone is most definitely not as good as I thought it would be.

razer-chimaera-5-1-headset.jpg

Play BF3 with them cranked and it is honestly the most visceral gaming experience I have ever had in my life.

Astro arrived. Cans are still in the mail, but I've had some time to play around with it using my current.

Much like my soundcard I'm honestly not sure how to feel, and not convinced that Dolby Headphone does much more than make an already perfect sounding audio echo more with less clarity. I'm really not getting a convincing 'surround sound' effect that I could say sounds better than with Dolby Headphone off. My housemate gave it a shot at work, with games and film, and felt the same way.

It may grow on me, but Dolby Headphone is most definitely not as good as I thought it would be.

Just checking, but you did set your console to output in Dolby Digital 5.1, right?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Stasis

razer-chimaera-5-1-headset.jpg

Play BF3 with them cranked and it is honestly the most visceral gaming experience I have ever had in my life.

Sound good, but so uncomfortable compared to Logitech G35 and Corsair 1500, which both sound just as good.

For mic'd gaming headsets that is. I know they're all relative poo compared to real headphones.

For mic'd gaming headsets that is. I know they're all relative poo compared to real headphones.

PC360s can hold their own against most headphones in the same price range.

I did, yes.

idk man. I've played through CoDs, Battlefields, Dead Space, and other games with good sound and the positional effect along with the clarity has been ace. But because of your posts, I'm going to try disabling DH and see what the difference is. Might be interesting.

EatChildren

For what it's worth, I really dig Dolby Headphone for Skyrim, yet don't like it for Arkham City. Both on PC. For my Astro I've only played Uncharted 2 and Dark Souls.

Sound good, but so uncomfortable compared to Logitech G35 and Corsair 1500, which both sound just as good.

Maybe so, but how badass do they look on their illuminated green stand? too pimp....

greenry

For what it's worth, I really dig Dolby Headphone for Skyrim, yet don't like it for Arkham City. Both on PC. For my Astro I've only played Uncharted 2 and Dark Souls.

I find Dolby Headphone pretty hit or miss depending on the game. If there is a lot going on in the background I feel it really adds to the audio. Assassins Creed Revelation for example sounds great with Dolby Headphone because the periphery is always so busy. Same with Skyrim. A game like Saints Row 3 though, doesn't really add anything.

VaLiancY

Thank the lord this thread popped up and I'm too lazy to go through the past thread.

A question regarding the mixamp. I can plug in any other clip on mic and I'll be good for voice communication over Xbox Live?

I use a JVC SUDH1 with dolby headphone when playing console games. But that's mainly so I could use my headphones with consoles.

The only game I think I noticed it working is Alan Wake. I actually played it for the majority of with the 360 set to stereo out only. I think I got better positional audio after setting the console to surround sound out, but that just might have been a placebo effect.

I have been looking at buying the A40's for A LONG time now.
But dear god they are so expensive.

I have a few questions if any one with experience has an answer that would help me out a lot.

#1 How are they if you wear glasses? does the pressure against your ears from your glasses hurt after a while?

#2 How do you charge them/What kind of batteries does it take?

#3 How long can you do an a full charge/batteries?

#4 Any rumors on A50's? Because I'm not spending $300 on a system that is on its way out :p.

#5 How is the can I return them if they break and stuff like that.

And #6 Just to make sure, you can use them on 360, ps3 and pc right? with optical out.
And make the headset wireless with the dongle?

Razer IMG.

Before you buy check out this video to make sure you really want one
http://www.tested.com/quick-look-at-the-razer-chimaera-51-wireless-gaming-headset/47-482/

cilonen

I have, but it's a ~$200 price hike over the AD700, which throws my budget out.

I've got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT150's. They take some driving but they're the most perfectly balanced soundstage I've ever heard - they're used a lot in broadcasting and as monitors in studios so they lookstraight out of the 50's but all the money has gone on comfort and sound, makes them amazing for positional accuracy in a game.

The quality of Dolby Headphone is hugely dependant upon the soundstage of your headphones. Wait for the cans to arrive before making a proper judgement.

EatChildren

That will now be a possibility.

stuffzzj2y.jpg

Yay!

EatChildren

Nah. The Xonar DG does what the Mixamp does, so you're fine. Xonar is for my PC, Mixamp for the consoles, cans for the ears.

Sweet, sweet cans.

EatChildren

Gad dang do the AD700's sound nice. Beautifully crisp and clean. Probably the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn too. They melt to your head like butter, and despite the size feel like you're wearing nothing at all. Nothing at all. NOTHING AT ALL.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
AD700s + Mixamp + Xonar DG = my exact setup, heh. Though I have been leaving the Mixamp hooked up to the PC most of the time these days since I really like the ability to mix mic/PC/other source levels on the fly and am neglecting my consoles.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Gad dang do the AD700's sound nice. Beautifully crisp and clean. Probably the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn too. They melt to your head like butter, and despite the size feel like you're wearing nothing at all. Nothing at all. NOTHING AT ALL.
This! I recently got the AD700+Mixamp as well for late night PS360 gaming. Playing Lost Odyssey on it and it just feels fucking heavenly, like you're really into it without all this gear in your face

Sanjay

A few times I have even forgotten I had them on, how's the bass holding up for you as you were worried about that.

EatChildren

A few times I have even forgotten I had them on, how's the bass holding up for you as you were worried about that.

Absolutely fine. It's not earth shattering, but given these things are strapped to the side of my head I'd rather not have my brain melt from the bass. I like to hear a full range of treble and bass in my music and games and so far these are yet to disappoint.

I'm getting more used to the Dolby Headphone aspect as well. It's weird, and hard for me to describe, but with it off the stereo effects are more pronounced. As in, the audio shifts from left to right are more obvious and defined. I think that's what my housemate likes more. But with Dolby Headphone on the audio scope is wider and more 'natural' sounding, in my opinion. The shift from left to right is less binary and defined, and instead cleaner and smoother. Sounds moving around you're point of reference have a very natural shift between tones and directions.

It's weird, as at first it feels a bit weaker due to the less overt "THIS IS LEFT AUDIO, THIS IS RIGHT AUDIO", but over time sounds more airy, natural and wider in scope, as if sounds are coming from multiple sources with no defined shift between speakers.

And that is EatChildren's poor explanation of why Dolby Headphone sounds cool in Skyrim.

TheExodu5

Banned

Glad you're liking them. A lot of people are offput by low bass quantity, but I am not one of them. I tend to dislike it when headphones overemphasize mid-bass.

And yes, the AD700 do look supremely comfortable. Comfort is the single most important feature of headphones when it comes to gaming. There's no point in having great sound quality if your ears or head are hurting after an hour of playing. That's the reason I don't use either my HFI-580 or AKG K701 for gaming.

I have a question regarding Dolby Headphone in PC games...how do you ensure PC games are outputting 5.1 to your sound card?

I have a question regarding Dolby Headphone in PC games...how do you ensure PC games are outputting 5.1 to your sound card?
Set system audio to 5.1/7.1 speakers set up and disable all the extra speakers so it only outputs everything over the center/stereo channel.

At least that's how I would think you would do it if a game does not have those audio settings in the menu.

same here. I tried to enable 5.1/7.1 but W7 doesn't let me configure the digital (toslink) output on my onboard Realtek ALC892 soundcard. any suggestions?

EatChildren

I figure as long as the system settings are showing the correct speaker setup, and more importantly the Xonar DG Audio Center is set accordingly (Headphones, Dolby Headphone on) it all should be fine.

Though I could be doing it wrong.

I bought the Astro A40 + Wireless mixamp and I had the exact same impression. It didn't wow me as much as I had hoped, in a few different areas (some of the highs "hurt" my ears, I didn't really like the bass). This surprised me because I've never been an audiophile or anything so I thought any pricier headset would be great for me.

I ended up returning the Astro A40, keeping the mixamp, and then buying the Sennheiser PC360. It's not a dolby headset, but dolby 5.1 is semi-fake when used in headphones anyway. Gotta say, I'm liking the Sennheiser a lot more, and I'm pretty happy with my purchase. It's a little pricier, but if you're spending that much money on something like a headset, you shouldn't settle, you should love it.

Astro has a decent return policy, so maybe pick up some PC360s, try them out, and return the one you like less.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the mixamp a big part of what makes the Sennheiser sound so good. Unless your sound card has the same functionality, you will need one of those too.

EatChildren

I didn't buy any Astro headphones, just the mixamp.

TheExodu5

Banned
Astro has a decent return policy, so maybe pick up some PC360s, try them out, and return the one you like less.

He doesn't need a mic, so no real reason the get the PC360's. I main the PC360's as my gaming headphones, and while they are really comfortable and the mic is great, the sound quality is not really up to par. They are really overly mid-bass heavy, so I feel I have to EQ them to make them open up a bit more.

Still, sound quality isn't everything, and overall I really like them. But for someone who doesn't need a mic and already has the AD700, I wouldn't bother.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have come to the conclusion that using my Yamaha receiver and my Sennheiser HD555s beats every 5.1/7.1 set of headphones. Good headphones and a good receiver beats all others IMO.

I have been looking at buying the A40's for A LONG time now.
But dear god they are so expensive.

I have a few questions if any one with experience has an answer that would help me out a lot.

#1 How are they if you wear glasses? does the pressure against your ears from your glasses hurt after a while?

#2 How do you charge them/What kind of batteries does it take?

#3 How long can you do an a full charge/batteries?

#4 Any rumors on A50's? Because I'm not spending $300 on a system that is on its way out :p.

#5 How is the can I return them if they break and stuff like that.

And #6 Just to make sure, you can use them on 360, ps3 and pc right? with optical out.
And make the headset wireless with the dongle?
Anyone?

EatChildren

Because it is impossible for me to buy any piece of technology without some issue arising, I now have a problem with my PC audio.

There is distinct crackling on particular tones and frequencies. For example, playing this, audio crackles on almost every bass kick, and also other random intervals. Adjusting volume in 90% of YouTube videos results in crackling. Often audio is clear, but I've also noticed some cracking in games. For example, the bass 'boom' of selecting locations on the Skyrim map menu has a slight crackle. I've also heard slight crackles in other media, such as listening to tracks by Turquoise Jeep.

Is it the AD700s? Pretty damn sure not. I tested it with my other pair of headphones and all the crackles were still there, therefore it has to be the Xonar. What else could it be?

PC tech is lucky I'm a patient man. I don't think I've ever bought a single piece or bundle of technology in my life without having to return, repair or tweak something. I'm not even joking. Literally every single time without fail. Last two times I bought monitors? Two different versions of the same model, both had the same problem. Bought a new monitor, new model, from a different retailer; dead pixels. Big LCD in the lounge room? It's been serviced three or four times. First two services were within two months.

So yeah, what's the problem here? I know there is one, because there's always one. I should just become a fucking hermit because it's clear technology doesn't like me.

aeolist

Banned
Absolutely fine. It's not earth shattering, but given these things are strapped to the side of my head I'd rather not have my brain melt from the bass. I like to hear a full range of treble and bass in my music and games and so far these are yet to disappoint.

I'm getting more used to the Dolby Headphone aspect as well. It's weird, and hard for me to describe, but with it off the stereo effects are more pronounced. As in, the audio shifts from left to right are more obvious and defined. I think that's what my housemate likes more. But with Dolby Headphone on the audio scope is wider and more 'natural' sounding, in my opinion. The shift from left to right is less binary and defined, and instead cleaner and smoother. Sounds moving around you're point of reference have a very natural shift between tones and directions.

It's weird, as at first it feels a bit weaker due to the less overt "THIS IS LEFT AUDIO, THIS IS RIGHT AUDIO", but over time sounds more airy, natural and wider in scope, as if sounds are coming from multiple sources with no defined shift between speakers.

And that is EatChildren's poor explanation of why Dolby Headphone sounds cool in Skyrim.
I agree completely. DH took some getting used to when I first got my Xonar DX but I love how open and spacious it makes everything sound. Turning it off even with stereo sources just makes everything sound too muffled and closed in.

n0n44m

I have come to the conclusion that using my Yamaha receiver and my Sennheiser HD555s beats every 5.1/7.1 set of headphones. Good headphones and a good receiver beats all others IMO.

I'm using a Yamaha RX-V661 with HD595s (and a headphone amp in between), Sony Eye cam microphone :p

sounds pretty great, I don't use it that much though because often I'm too lazy to plug it in so I just turn down the volume instead lol ...

but I wanted to ask you, what Silent Cinema profile do you use? I've played with the [ACTION GAME] profile a couple of years ago when I got the receiver but it sounded too "echo"ish for me, even when using some settings I found on head-fi or something ... I nowadays just set it to [STRAIGHT] without any additional processing, the surround left/right sounds different from the normal left right so I suppose it still does some Silent Cinema processing but not with the extra reverb etc the other programs offer.

Darkatomz

Because it is impossible for me to buy any piece of technology without some issue arising, I now have a problem with my PC audio.

There is distinct crackling on particular tones and frequencies. For example, playing this, audio crackles on almost every bass kick, and also other random intervals. Adjusting volume in 90% of YouTube videos results in crackling. Often audio is clear, but I've also noticed some cracking in games. For example, the bass 'boom' of selecting locations on the Skyrim map menu has a slight crackle. I've also heard slight crackles in other media, such as listening to tracks by Turquoise Jeep.

Is it the AD700s? Pretty damn sure not. I tested it with my other pair of headphones and all the crackles were still there, therefore it has to be the Xonar. What else could it be?

PC tech is lucky I'm a patient man. I don't think I've ever bought a single piece or bundle of technology in my life without having to return, repair or tweak something. I'm not even joking. Literally every single time without fail. Last two times I bought monitors? Two different versions of the same model, both had the same problem. Bought a new monitor, new model, from a different retailer; dead pixels. Big LCD in the lounge room? It's been serviced three or four times. First two services were within two months.

So yeah, what's the problem here? I know there is one, because there's always one. I should just become a fucking hermit because it's clear technology doesn't like me.
What's your system volume set at?

pilonv1

Are you by any chance using the front audio panel on your PC? I had a similar issue, and it was fine from the Xonar DG outputs but not from the front panel. I think it was because the wiring to my front panel wasn't insulated or something. No big deal the cable on the AD700s is long enough to connect from the front jack on the back of the tower. But I'd test it on the direct inputs if you're not using them.

I figure as long as the system settings are showing the correct speaker setup, and more importantly the Xonar DG Audio Center is set accordingly (Headphones, Dolby Headphone on) it all should be fine.

Though I could be doing it wrong.

I always worried about this too. I keep thinking "should I have the 7.1 virtual speaker shifter on? What about HiFi/GX mode? Maybe I should be using an equiliser?" Then once I start playing something the sounds is great and I forget about it.

Turn the source volume (master PC volume or master game volume) down to eliminate bass crackling. I had the same problem with certain games on console.

Hey all I'm looking for a gaming headset too, mine literally just completely stopped working tonight! Needs good sound quality, to be comfortable and durable (Mine break way too fucking easily).

Looking at a sub £50 price really.

EatChildren

What's your system volume set at?

Standard. The Xonar control centre uses the main system volume.

Are you by any chance using the front audio panel on your PC? I had a similar issue, and it was fine from the Xonar DG outputs but not from the front panel. I think it was because the wiring to my front panel wasn't insulated or something. No big deal the cable on the AD700s is long enough to connect from the front jack on the back of the tower. But I'd test it on the direct inputs if you're not using them.

Nope. Headphones directly into the Xonar.

Honestly, unless I can identify a specific problem, I don't think I could recommend the Xonar to anybody, and am half tempted to go back to on board audio. It's really hard. Dolby Headphone sounds great, the actual audio produced by the Xonar sounds gorgeous on my cans, but the crackling on specific tones, as infrequent as it may be, is a real downer and calls into a question the point of having a sound card at all. So far I've noticed;

- Short crackle/audio skip whenever starting audio abruptly (eg: skipping through a song).
- Crackling when adjusting the volume in a YouTube video.
- Crackling on specific tones and frequencies.

Shedding Stars from the Shadows of the Damned OST is a good example of the latter. Majority of the song, particularly noticeable ~1:00 onwards, features heavy crackling due to the played frequencies.

I've tested this with my speakers and two pairs of headphones, so I'm 100% sure it's the Xonar and not anything else.

Interference maybe from something inside the case? Poor insulation on the card? Motherboard issue? Ports issue? Just shitting quality all round? I have no idea what it is. All I know is that while sounding good (if not great) when it wants to, making good use of Dolby Headphone, and the issues themselves admittedly infrequent, the issues existing at all tarnish any possible recommendation I can give. I cannot, for example, listen to the above song at all now. Not on either of my headphones nor my speaks, because the crackling distortion completely ruins it. This was not a problem with onboard audio, only with the Xonar.

What a shame.

Bazza

Loved my G35's up until i dropped them and snapped one of the earpieces clean off. People say you don't get a proper surround sound experience with headsets but its close enough for me.

The surround sound the G35's are pretty impressive considering they just use different channels to simulate the surround sound.

I haven't replaced my headset yet as im waiting for the Razor Tiamat 7.1's to be released which have individual drivers/speakers for a proper surround sound experience, cant wait to be honest the G35's were good enough and the Tiamat at least on paper destroys them.

Darkatomz

Standard. The Xonar control centre uses the main system volume.
I meant what percentage is it set to. Set it to 76% and leave it there. If you really want to get technical, you should maximize the volume of whatever application you're using (for example, set the iTunes volume to 100%) and control the volume from your speaker/headset knob.

Not sure if this will fix all of your issues, but it might address some of them.

EatChildren

I meant what percentage is it set to. Set it to 76% and leave it there. If you really want to get technical, you should maximize the volume of whatever application you're using (for example, set the iTunes volume to 100%) and control the volume from your speaker/headset knob.

Not sure if this will fix all of your issues, but it might address some of them.

If I set iTunes volume to 100% then I use system volume, which I do normally. There's no other audio adjustment, not on the headphones anyway.

Pretty much done with the Xonar. Discovered one of my favourite tracks from one of my favourite films is unlistenable. Crackling is so unbelievably bad.

I wonder, is it possible the card is damaged? Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this, or if its just shit?

Top Bottom