• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1/7.1 gaming headphones [more help required]

Kyaw

Alright, I'm confused. I have this Onkyo 609 receiver.. my PS360's are hooked by HDMI to the receiver (actually they all go through an A/B monoprice switch to multiple tv's first then to the receiver). I know all the talk of headphone amps, but does the Onkyo not have the ability to output to headphones.. looking through the manual it doesn't seem to work through the headphone jack, it only does stereo. But there doesn't seem to be another way to get digital audio "out" of the receiver.

I'm just looking for a way to get 5.1 wired on the cheap from both my PS3 and my 360.

Don't really care about TV or anything else.. but gaming at night is an issue when kids are asleep.

I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking whether your receiver has a function like the Astro Mixamp or is there a digital (HDMI/Optica/Coaxial) pass through on your receiver?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I don't understand what you're asking. Are you asking whether your receiver has a function like the Astro Mixamp or is there a digital (HDMI/Optica/Coaxial) pass through on your receiver?

There doesn't seem to be, but I'm not sure.. it seems the headphone out only does the following:

When you connect a pair of headphones, the listening mode
is set to Stereo, unless it’s already set to Stereo, Mono,
Direct, or Pure Audio (European, Australian and Asian
models)

Which would all be analog, correct?

So no way to use the receiver as a 5.1/7.1 headphone amp?

Kyaw

Nope. Receivers don't usually do these things. You can always buy a mixamp and just input your optical/HDMI into the mixamp.

I have a receiver too and I just normally plug my AD700 into it. The sound is great and because of the soundstage of the headphones, I don't need virtual surround.

If you have a soundcard that is capable of outputting Dolby Headphone, then plug your headphones straight into that. Can't do much with consoles though, unless you buy a Turtle beach or a Astro mixamp.

Respawn

Banned
I bought the Official PS3 ones for $74.99 on Newegg. Let's just say Call of Duty islike a new game. I've heard things that I didn't even know were there. Oh and footsteps I hear them coming much more pronounced now. Just equip Silent perk and all's good.
Link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261316

What I love:
>Charge while play
>Slider for voice and less music and vice versa
*You can also drown out all in game voice chatter or lobby chatter with the voice slider
>7.1 virtual surround button
>Master volume slider
>Push button function on earpiece to mute voice- tap again to enable
>PS3 display functions on TV when activated
>PC compatible

Better than the TB X21's that are twice the price

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Nope. Receivers don't usually do these things. You can always buy a mixamp and just input your optical/HDMI into the mixamp.

I have a receiver too and I just normally plug my AD700 into it. The sound is great and because of the soundstage of the headphones, I don't need virtual surround.

If you have a soundcard that is capable of outputting Dolby Headphone, then plug your headphones straight into that. Can't do much with consoles though, unless you buy a Turtle beach or a Astro mixamp.

That's what I was afraid of.

I got out of the home audio game for almost a decade after selling the stuff for 4 years. I'm really disappointed that nobody is making a perfect solution receiver with all the stuff out today.

Like how no receiver at pretty much any price can do what my $50 monoprice HDMI switch can do, how great would it be if I didn't have to use that to output to 2 different TV's. I know it's an audio source first and foremost, but I know I can't be the only guy who wants to use a receiver as both and audio and video all in one solution to switching.

There just seems to be real basic things that are relatively inexpensive that are left out on receivers these days that just make life easier.

Maybe going with an all in one Turtle Beach or Tritton solution is best..

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'm going this route;

Aiaiai TMA-1
dzn_TMA-1-By-KiBiSi-8.jpg

+

ASTRO MixAmp
1244818723_958e23f839d3416257ee19e42866e6f2_w450_h400.jpg

That's what I was afraid of.

I got out of the home audio game for almost a decade after selling the stuff for 4 years. I'm really disappointed that nobody is making a perfect solution receiver with all the stuff out today.

You can buy receivers that support Dolby Headphone, they're just uncommon.

What is the best headset for Xbox 360 and PC? (One single set of headphones).

I've been using x11 + DSS for quite a while and have been wondering if there was a single headset capable of greater quality/ ease of use.

BiggNife

I have the Turtle Beach PX5.

[]http://www.turtlebeach.com/portals/0/Products/PS3/PX5/Home/images/Gallery/PX5_04.jpg[]

What's nice about these are the built-in Bluetooth, so if you want you can stream your iPhone music to your headset while you play or even take phone calls. I don't do this very often, to be honest though.

The sound quality is really good but I'm no audiophile. I love that they are radio frequency wireless, so no need for wires and I can even keep the transmitter in another room. Because of the Bluetooth feature, they tout these for PS3 chat, however they work just fine with Xbox 360 Live voice chat via a small white cable that plugs into your controller. In fact, they sound great in chat, better than any of the official headsets since you can independently control the volume levels of the game and chat audio. These headsets also "talk" to you with a female voice, warning you when the batteries are low and what software equalizer preset you're using. You can program the software equalizer on your computer but I've never done this.

The surround sound is simulated (stereoscopic 3D) however I can definitely tell where the sounds are coming from. Stuff behind you sounds "muffled" and your brain picks up on that very quickly. I can even tell when something is to the back left and how far.

I have these as well, and they're pretty good. However, there are two things that one should be aware of before buying one:

1) Other wireless transmitters can interfere with the PX5's signal, so be aware if your router is in the same room as your gaming setup. I used to have to deal with some annoying interference at first, but I think I've managed to separate the router and the PX5's transmitter far enough so that they don't conflict with each other now.

2) It eats up batteries fairly quickly, and if the battery gets low, your game audio will be interrupted every ten seconds by a computer voice saying "BATTERY. LOW." until you replace them. It's super obnoxious, and I wish it had some other kind of battery warning.

Having said that, I still think they're good headphones, and as ckohler said the directional audio is top-notch despite being simulated surround. I've never gotten any complaints about the mic quality.

Mighty

A30_White_Exploded.jpg

I picked up a pair of Astro A30s with the wireless mix amp for 360/PS3 gaming a few months back and everything sounds great. The bass could be a little deeper, but I imagine that's what Astro's A40 line is for. I opted for the lighter, more portable set since these are my primary pair of headphones. Definitely not on the cheap side, but it's fun to splurge every once in a while!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Guh. Went to order the mixamp, and Chrome is now giving me this warning when I try to log in on the website.

The site's security certificate is not trusted!

You attempted to reach www.astrogaming.com, but the server presented a certificate issued by an entity that is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may mean that the server has generated its own security credentials, which Google Chrome cannot rely on for identity information, or an attacker may be trying to intercept your communications. You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.

It wasn't doing this yesterday.

Guh. Went to order the mixamp, and Chrome is now giving me this warning when I try to log in on the website.

It wasn't doing this yesterday.

Most likely just not renewed for 2012, looks like it was just an oversight from their webhost.

Using google checkout worked for me this morning no problem. No sign in to their site needed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, I thought "fuck it" and ordered anyway :p.

So, there it is. Soon I will have;
- AD700
- Asus Xonar DG
- Astro Mixamp Pro

All are ordered and on the way. Thanks to those who offered advice and helped me make this purchase. You will be in my heart always.

Yeah, I thought "fuck it" and ordered anyway :p.

So, there it is. Soon I will have;
- AD700
- Asus Xonar DG
- Astro Mixamp Pro

All are ordered and on the way. Thanks to those who offered advice and helped me make this purchase. You will be in my heart always.

Right with you, thanks to this thread. AD700's come tomorrow. Sadly the Mixamp 5.8 won't ship until the 9th.

Theonik

As for as receivers are concerned btw some do indeed have Dolby Headphone, namely some Harman Kardon ones. It's the exception rather than the rule though. Great buy on the AD700 and mixamp btw.

fawaz

Banned
I have a g35 logitech, and i have no idea how to enable surround sound in video games.
can someone help me?

TheExodu5

Banned
Preface: I'm a moderate audiophile and many people might not share my views or be as picky as I am. I have never really liked any gaming headphones all that much. I own the following headphones and equipment:

Sennheiser PC350
Sennheiser PC360 (my main PC headphones...I EQ these to tone down the upper bass...and I use these over my other headphones because I need a good mic)
AKG K702 (my music headphones)
Ultrasone HFI-580 (my 'fun' headphones)

Source:
Realtek 889
Astro Mixamp
Maverick Audio D1 (only use it when listening to music...don't really prefer it to my Realtek 889, so I wouldn't waste your money)

I've also tried the Xonar STX, but it wasn't that big of an upgrade over the Realtek 889. As the Realtek 889 is the highest onboard sound they offer, it's actually not half bad, so I see no reason to replace it.

---

I don't know if there are better alternatives if you really need Dolby Headphone, but the Astro Mixamp is not that good if you're not bothering to use it for its mixing capabilities. It has serious shielding issues, and is a pretty poor amp. My PC onboard (Realtek 889) sound is a fair bit better.

I still use the mixamp when I want to use headphones when gaming on consoles, though.

edit: woops, I see you ordered it. No big deal...it has its uses for consoles especially, as it will make using your headphones with it a breeze. On the PC side of things, just use the Xonar DG. If you need a bit of extra bass, don't be afraid to EQ your Xonar a little bit. Give a bit of a boost in the 20-100Hz range, or even up to 200-300Hz if you want a bit of mid bass. You won't need to touch it much, just a few dBs at most to get that oomph back.

Then again, your perception of bass might be different than most. I have the AKG K702, which many people say lack bass, but I find they have great bass, so that's that.

If you ever do go to get another set and want closed headphones that sound incredible for gaming, be sure to check out the Ultrasone HFI-580.

EatChildren

That's literally the only reason I bought it; using my headphones as a surround sound solution for console gaming. Meanwhile the Xonar will fill the PC gaps. Pretty happy with the purchase as a whole. Now just to wait for it all to arrive.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just keep the mixamp away from wireless sources. Maybe the wireless mixamp is better, but my regular mixamp, if it gets anywhere near a cordless phone or my wireless router, starts producing a lot of static. It's not well shielded at all.

Besides that, I have no real complaints, other than the fact that it really doesn't improve sound. Don't care for Dolby Headphone, personally, though I realize many people enjoy it. It does what it claims to do and without a fuss, so that's a plus. I love being able to mix in game and mic chatter, and I especially love being able to use Ventrilo on my PC through it while mixing in console games as well. No other device in this price range will allow me to do that.

51GLt-tp31L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My "bassy" headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80ohm version.)
Nothing can beat these when it comes to bass response, they are simply unparalleled. They are comofartable for a while, but they do press on my ears so they get sore after a couple of hours. Bass is awesome, highs are crisp, and are simply a joy to listen to. Gives that great thumping sensation from grenade blasts and the sort. The Mass Effect biotics, for example, sound very cool. The amazing thing about the bass is, and this is the reason they're so expensive, is that they're not "boomy" like the TurtleBeaches amplified sets or the Dr.Dre's. You can indeed hear different levels of bass and in more detail than in any other set. Like any headphone, the source is what matters. Gargage in, garbage out. Listen to some dubstep or hip hop with these in lossless format and you'll be glad you forked over the cash. The only drawbacks are that the mids get drown out and of course the sore ears after some hours of use. They're also not as light as my Senns, but otherwise great all around multimedia headphones. (They were primarily designed for studio tracking, though.)

I wouldn't throw out such absolutes. Plenty of headphones have better bass detail than the DT 770. They do have heavy bass, though. That's not to say that they're bad headphones, but there's no such thing as 'best' at anything, at least not in that price range.

And yeah, garbage in garbage out is especially true with good headphones. I owned a pair of DT 770 at one point, and they sounded horrendous. Super boomy uncontrolled bass, no midrange, and they sounded super hollow. At the time I assumed it was the headphones, but looking back at it, I can only summarize that it must have been the source, as these are very well liked.

Another nice feature of the MixAmp is that you can mix in an external audio source like an iPod/iPhone or other MP3 player. Instant custom soundtrack for every game.

EatChildren

Xonar arrived. Not sure about the Dolby Surround effect. Seems pretty weak and not what I expected or have experienced elsewhere. I might need to do some tinkers. Just doesn't seem to do a very good job of emulating surround sound. Sounds great hooked up to my speakers though.

Xonar arrived. Not sure about the Dolby Surround effect. Seems pretty weak and not what I expected or have experienced elsewhere. I might need to do some tinkers. Just doesn't seem to do a very good job of emulating surround sound. Sounds great hooked up to my speakers though.

Dolby Headphone let me follow my friend around in Modern Warfare 2 with my eyes closed based on footsteps alone, though that was with the Mixamp on console. But the effect definitely works.

Got my AD700's yesterday, posted some thoughts in the $500 headphone thread, thought I would share them here:

So I just got my ATH-AD700s today, and comparing them to the HD555s I had for a month, I think I liked the 555s a lot better.

Maybe I am just crazy, I think the big thing is that the Sennheisers were a bit more snug. And the 700s feel HUGE.

What are your thoughts on the comparison of the two (or the 558 that replaced it)? It will be matched up with an Astro mixamp for gaming. I have some ATH-50s that I use for most of my music.

Thinking of ordering the HD558's instead, but so far, in the last 4 hours of use I am starting to like the AD700s. Probably makes more sense to save the money and stick with the AD700s.

TheExodu5

Banned

Like I said, I really don't care for it at all. It makes everything sound hollow and hurts the sound, to my ears.

My Fiio E7 just showed up.

e5f40d47.jpg

Having the bass boost makes a huge difference with the AD700's! Will try it out with the 360 in a bit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Got my AD700's yesterday, posted some thoughts in the $500 headphone thread, thought I would share them here:

Thinking of ordering the HD558's instead, but so far, in the last 4 hours of use I am starting to like the AD700s. Probably makes more sense to save the money and stick with the AD700s.

A lot of it is just getting use to the difference in sound stage as well as maybe burn in time (though I'm not as big of a believer in burn in drastically changing things like some).

WTF do I know though. LOL

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Depends on the game, really. Some games just don't have good surround sound to begin with. With BF3 the difference should be noticeable right off the bat.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Depends on the game, really. Some games just don't have good surround sound to begin with. With BF3 the difference should be noticeable right off the bat.

There is this fact as well. In general sound design other than oh it has some cool gun effects or I like the OST isn't discussed much. In terms of getting really good sound stage from the source material and such it varies greatly from game to game, and sadly gets overlooked a lot in game discussions.

Clydefrog

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 stereo headphones. My X-Fi Titanium soundcard has the Dolby thing where it simulates 5.1 surround. Cool stuff

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Yamaha receivers use Silent Cinema. It creates an amazing surround sound field with my 555's. Most Yamaha now come with this feature as standard.

Just purchased 2 Xonar DGs, 2 pair of ATH AD1000 headphones, and 2 Zalman clip-on mics. I went with the ATH AD1000 because of the nicer aesthetic and improved sound quality over the AD900. I'm importing from Japan, so hopefully they are worth the money. I plan to upgrade both of the soundcards to the Xonar Essence in the future.

Anyone have any other microphone recommendations? The Zalman seems to be the most recommended but has a lot of mixed reviews and I'm worried about the omnidirectional mic and sensitivity. I decided it was worth the risk at $10 each but would like to know if there are some better solutions (that don't include goofy boom mic mods).

Just purchased 2 Xonar DGs, 2 pair of ATH AD1000 headphones, and 2 Zalman clip-on mics. I went with the ATH AD1000 because of the nicer aesthetic and improved sound quality over the AD900. I'm importing from Japan, so hopefully they are worth the money. I plan to upgrade both of the soundcards to the Xonar Essence in the future.

Anyone have any other microphone recommendations? The Zalman seems to be the most recommended but has a lot of mixed reviews and I'm worried about the omnidirectional mic and sensitivity. I decided it was worth the risk at $10 each but would like to know if there are some better solutions (that don't include goofy boom mic mods).

What are your particular worries about the zalman mic in terms of the direction and sensitivity? I always use push to talk so I don't have to worry about it picking up ambient noise. It is extremely sensitive though. I've done it before where I haven't even bothered to clip it on, I just lay it on the desk in front of me and it still picks me up.

Yamaha receivers use Silent Cinema. It creates an amazing surround sound field with my 555's. Most Yamaha now come with this feature as standard.

Yep, I've always used Yamaha receivers. It's supposed to be their equivalent/competitor to Dolby Headphone.

Have you tried both? I've always wondered which is better, but have never tried the Dolby Headphones.

Luigi87

I went and got myself a pair of Logitech G35s on sale. Considering I'm not really an audio person, and I only use them on my PC, they are rather splendid.

Zalmans are good as long as you're not using them with a Mixamp.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Yep, I've always used Yamaha receivers. It's supposed to be their equivalent/competitor to Dolby Headphone.

Have you tried both? I've always wondered which is better, but have never tried the Dolby Headphones.

I haven't, but a friend of mine says they are close to each other but the edge goes to Yamaha. I think it boils down to quality of headphones as well as personal taste.

By comparison, the wireless Sony PS3 headset is a closed set and is much brighter, less bassy than my 555's. The wireless aspect plus having a built-in mic is great, but if I can run the cords, I go with my 555's and a USB mic.

Durante

I've actually used both of those a lot, and I much prefer the AD700s. The only thing the 555s do better is bass, everything else seems much better to me on the 700s -- the 555 sounds a bit muffled (I hope that's the right word) in comparison. Also, them being "HUGE" is actually one of the best things about them IMHO, since as I said earlier in the thread they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever used.

TheExodu5

Banned
There is this fact as well. In general sound design other than oh it has some cool gun effects or I like the OST isn't discussed much. In terms of getting really good sound stage from the source material and such it varies greatly from game to game, and sadly gets overlooked a lot in game discussions.

Even with a game like BF3, I feel that stereo sound is far superior to Dolby Headphone.

Durante

Conversely, I really love Dolby Headphone. I've never had any problems pinpointing sounds in space when using it.

In fact, I go so far as to upmix my stereo music using neural upmix and then running it through dolby headphone when listening to it using headphones. This would probably get me killed in some circles, but I really feel like it moves the music out of my head and into the surrounding space (I can't think of another way to describe it).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Even with a game like BF3, I feel that stereo sound is far superior to Dolby Headphone.
You're trading some sound quality for a larger sound stage with Dobly Headphone. For a competitive shooter I think it's worth it. It's far easier to determine where a sound is coming from.

Top Bottom