• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5.1/7.1 gaming headphones [more help required]

What are your particular worries about the zalman mic in terms of the direction and sensitivity? I always use push to talk so I don't have to worry about it picking up ambient noise. It is extremely sensitive though. I've done it before where I haven't even bothered to clip it on, I just lay it on the desk in front of me and it still picks me up.

I have two PCs next to each other and often play games with or at the same time as my wife. I prefer push to talk, so hopefully it wont be too big of an issue.

Zalmans are good as long as you're not using them with a Mixamp.

Good to hear. I'll be running it from the front panel.

coopolon

There doesn't seem to be, but I'm not sure.. it seems the headphone out only does the following:

When you connect a pair of headphones, the listening mode
is set to Stereo, unless it’s already set to Stereo, Mono,
Direct, or Pure Audio (European, Australian and Asian
models)

Which would all be analog, correct?

So no way to use the receiver as a 5.1/7.1 headphone amp?

You should check, some receivers do Dolby headphone mine does.

Xonar arrived. Not sure about the Dolby Surround effect. Seems pretty weak and not what I expected or have experienced elsewhere. I might need to do some tinkers. Just doesn't seem to do a very good job of emulating surround sound. Sounds great hooked up to my speakers though.

I've never been that impressed with virtual surround, either Cmss or dh. I also think the ad700s are overrated for their soundstage, I was disappointed going to them from my sennheiser 555s.

Virtual surround solutions are good for positional audio, being able to distinguish surround right or left, but really lack the immersive surround experience you get with real 5.1 speaker setups.

well I got these Sony MDR-DS6500 headphones as a christmas present

41wBqoKKDaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=MDRDS6500

so far I'm very pleased with them :)

As a fan of wireless phones, I'm very, very interested in these. I'm happy with my PX5's and A40's but would love the chance to upgrade to something better. How's the bass and directional?

I recently had a pair of Sennheiser RS 170. They sounded nice, but the lack of an optical jack meant that I barely ever used them and eventually sold them. For me, the whole point of using a wireless pair over a wired one is versatility & convenience, and digital input is a must for that. The fact that these Sony's have optical has piqued my interest quite a bit.

I'm guessing with these being "7.1" phones they just process and up-convert stereo or 5.1 input into simulated 7.1? The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is that there have been complaints of noticeable lag.

guys, I'm thinking of using my sennheiser 595 as a surround headset with my gaming laptop that comes with s/pdif+headphone outputs, the usual surround and rear outputs and hdmi.

which sound processor should I get, earforce dss2 or astro-amp, for the 595 cans? cheers.

Just supporting DTS isn't enough. It needs to be able to encode to it in real time which is very rare for integrated solutions. Its called DD Live and the Asus support site will let you know if out supports it, though its very unlikely. Ideally you want a sound card that has built in Dolby headphone itself, so you can hook the cans to it directly otherwise you'd be doing two real time conversions which doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Have a look at the Asus Xonar range.

The current setup suggested by others won't allow you to get surround sound in PC games, only movies.

so, if i set the onboard realtek to output digital through spdif to optical mixamp, i only get surround sound for movies but not when I'm gaming? :(

combed through the thread, think I get it now. The optical pass through only works when the audio signal is already encoded into dolby formats. Looks like for gaming, I'll have to get one of those ASUS usb xonar.

As a fan of wireless phones, I'm very, very interested in these. I'm happy with my PX5's and A40's but would love the chance to upgrade to something better. How's the bass and directional?

I recently had a pair of Sennheiser RS 170. They sounded nice, but the lack of an optical jack meant that I barely ever used them and eventually sold them. For me, the whole point of using a wireless pair over a wired one is versatility & convenience, and digital input is a must for that. The fact that these Sony's have optical has piqued my interest quite a bit.

I'm guessing with these being "7.1" phones they just process and up-convert stereo or 5.1 input into simulated 7.1? The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is that there have been complaints of noticeable lag.

Well, first I'd like to say that I'm not a crazy audophile person, but I LOVE watching movies, playing games and listening to music with my 5.1 home theatre, that's why I asked for these headphones, they seemed awesome for my needings :)

The surround is simply amazing, I haven't noticed any lag at all, and I've tried it playing BF3, Fifa 2012, Batman AA, and other games with my PC (however I still don't know how to enable DTS in those games :\).

Bass isn't crazy but it's good enough for me, mainly because I listen to rock, hardcore and other genres that doesn't involve much bass, so I just tried N.E.R.D's Lapdance and its bass sounds pretty good to me, but as I said before, I'm not a good bass listener :lol

Been digging around. It seems that most newer integration solution e.g. realtek alc can do dolby digital live, etc. It's about licensing I suppose.

using the alc892 in my laptop as an example,

7.1+2 Channel HD Audio Codec with Content Protection
Optional Dolby PCEE program, SRS TruSurround HD, SRS Premium Sound, Fortemedia SAM, Creative Host Audio, Synopsys Sonic Focus, DTS Surround Sensation | UltraPC, and DTS Connect licenses

meaning that it's up to the brand manufacturers to buy license to activate them.

The Dolby PC Entertainment Experience consisted of all the dolby tech such as digital, live, headphones etc, which is now called theatre experience. But you can only get it from your card/mobo/pc manufactures.

for example,

you can spend 5 bucks to buy ddl and dts-connect from creative website if you have a soundblaster.

I tried to find some 'community' solution, there is a now-defunct real time driver that encodes 5.1 pc audio into AC3 that can be send to decoder via spdif/optical if you are using a sound blaster.

My laptop comes with THX TruStudio Pro, which can be set to surround effect over headphones, but I find it rather underwhelming.

my solution? Asus Xonar U3. It has be better than the integrated realtek.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have grown to like the Dolby Headphone feature of my Xonar DG. Switching between it and standard stereo, with the right game, shows quite a difference. It sounds a bit 'clearer', I guess is the word, in stereo, but there's something about the Dolby Headphone that sounds less like two speakings pumping sounds into the side of your head, and more like the sounds are coming from around you.

Sounds great in Skyrim too.

I have grown to like the Dolby Headphone feature of my Xonar DG. Switching between it and standard stereo, with the right game, shows quite a difference. It sounds a bit 'clearer', I guess is the word, in stereo, but there's something about the Dolby Headphone that sounds less like two speakings pumping sounds into the side of your head, and more like the sounds are coming from around you.

You get your AD700s?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not yet. They were posted on the fifth, so I don't expect them until sometime next week. My Astro Mixamp has mad it's way to Australia though, so that should arrive soon. Just using my ATH-PRO5s in the meantime.

zulfate

so is this the new headphone thread for gaming? if so i have a question

so i built my friend a pc for $700 then he fell in love and wanted to put more money into his computer so i bought him a better video card and headphones, i got him the ad700 which i love to death, but i plugged his headphones in and the audio was low as hell, now he doesnt seem impressed by them at all!!!!!!! so should i buy him the xonar dg would that help? thanks my friends

TheExodu5

Banned

so i built my friend a pc for $700 then he fell in love and wanted to put more money into his computer so i bought him a better video card and headphones, i got him the ad700 which i love to death, but i plugged his headphones in and the audio was low as hell, now he doesnt seem impressed by them at all!!!!!!! so should i buy him the xonar dg would that help? thanks my friends

Yeah, that should do the trick, assuming his Windows volume wasn't super low or anything.

Yes, its cheap and has both a headphone amp and Dolby Headphone, which will really make the most of those AD700s in games. Be sure to help him configure it correctly for virtual surround.

Mine actually arrived a couple of days ago and I'm super impressed. I'm using it with some HD 555s for their wide sound stage and its a great combo. Didn't realise it would work with 7.1 sources.

HOLY SHIT!!!

The Astro Mixamp 5.8 is AMAZING!!!

Here are some notes from using it for 45 minutes.

• Great surround sound with the AD700s
  • Bass Boost gives just enough kick
  • ZERO interferance, crystal clear!
  • MAKES GAMES SOUND AWESOME!

It should be a requirement for any serious gamer. Compared to the three wireless headphone options I tried, the AD700s paired with the Astro Mixamp 5.8 is the best gaming audio experience I could have imagined. Kudos to the guys at Astro for making a great product.

Afrikan

I guess I'm the only one here crazy enough to be interested in these

World's first lossless headphone amp/7.1 wireless surround setup
MDR-DS7500__25306_zoom.jpg

Sony MDR-DS7500 Digital 7.1ch Surround Sound Wireless Headphones

3D ready using the newly developed 3D VPT (Virtual Technology) offeres traditional horizontal imaging as well as direction and height images not available previously in headphones
Virtual Phones Technology - Sony's new technology to immerse the user in surround sound with the same feeling of a theater sound field
Dual DSP Processing - Double the 7.1 processing of previous models
Dolby Prologic II z support
HDMI HD Audio inputs (4x) and outputs (1x)
Sound Modes - Cinema Mode (reproduces sound field of film production dubbing theater), Game Mode, Voice Mode
Stretch leather ear cushions
Headphone offer remote control built into headphone allowing control of heaphone base unit
Suports a variety of formats : Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic Ⅱ z (*) , Dolby Pro Logic Ⅱ x ,DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES, DTS, DTS Neo: 6, MPEG-2 AAC, Linear PCM 5.1ch/7.1ch
2.4GHz wireless heahphone transmision
Up to 18 hours of continuous use
Ability to add additional headphones for mutliple users

gonna cost you $500+ to import....but man...F'it, I already got the 3D personal viewer. Might as well look at this thing as another Speeding ticket.

I think I would be about done getting gadgets I'm not suppose to be able to afford, after this one.....

mhayze

A couple of the reviews I read seemed to indicate that that the astros are not really down-mixing discrete 5.1 or 7.1 but relying on dolbyIIx (i.e. stereo channels) decoding - which seems to go against most of what I've read here - anyone know?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've got a slightly related question:

I use a cheap USB Logitech headset for when my roommate and I are gaming in the same room. It works great for PC gaming, but I find that when I play console games, I can't get my 360 or my PS3 to pump the game audio into my headset (only voice chat).

Is there something I'm missing, or is this merely impossible for USB headsets?

aeolist

Banned

The best games to use this in are FPSs with really good sound like Battlefield

Shit's amazing

Edit: Using the Xonar DX with Sennheiser HD 555s here

Kyaw

gonna cost you $500+ to import....but man...F'it, I already got the 3D personal viewer. Might as well look at this thing as another Speeding ticket.

I think I would be about done getting gadgets I'm not suppose to be able to afford, after this one.....

I'm actually interested in how good these are. Can't find any credible reviews so far.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

What version of Windows is he running? I'd suggest grabbing the card either way, but there still could be any number of other random sound things fubar too in Windows.

Why did you have to go and post this? D-:<

I have a feeling that a big chunk of my next paycheck is going to disappear now.

aeolist

Banned
I may be moving away from my 555s soon though, the plastic is cracking pretty badly just above the earpieces. AD700s are all metal, right?

To those that use the Logitech G35 have you found a way to make the headset not slip while moving your head up and down or it doesn't happen to you? I've used them a couple of times and with the slightest movement the headband slips from its resting position.

Shadow780

WOAH WOAH, shit. Let me know how good it is!

May be time to upgrade.

Arucardo

Got myself a pair of Logitech G35's on Thursday and man, I'm impressed. Battlefield 3 sounds amazing with these. I got them for a great price (60e) and I gotta say, money well spent.

All the reviews I read before they arrived complained about the lack of a proper equalizer and channel volume adjustments but logitech has fixed all that with the current drivers. For my tastes I toned down the bass a little, but explosions and gunfire still have plenty of kick in them.

Also, I noticed that Call of Duty games which I'm used to sounding a little flat sound much, much better on these. So glad I dropped the money on these, a huge improvement over my old headphones (Icemat Siberia SteelSeries V1).

Theonik

So what's the best solution for a cheapo like me? (around 100€)
I got my HD555s for about 80 euro. you can later get a mixamp if you wish.
Note that the 555s can be converted to 595s with a simple mod with respect to their audio quality.

Looking for wireless headphone/headset mostly for my PC since it doesn't have any speakers.

Will the official PS3 one work fine on PC as well (except for the surround)?

Chaplain

I have been using Trittons AX Pros for over four years (at work and home) and Astros A40 headphones for four months now (at work only). For me, the AX Pros are the better headphones. The 5.1 sound is more authentic to a real 5.1 sound system because of the Dolby Digital 5.1.

The only thing that the Astros have over the Trittons is the ability to have your own music streamed in through the mic input. I really hope Tritton copies this feature in their next round of headphones.

I'm sorry for asking yet again, but I know next to nothing about sound (other than I can hear it) but If I have a receiver and a sound card do I need to buy an Amp for my headphones or...? can someone explain?

Kyaw

I'm sorry for asking yet again, but I know next to nothing about sound (other than I can hear it) but If I have a receiver and a sound card do I need to buy an Amp for my headphones or...? can someone explain?

No need to buy an amp if your receiver has a headphone output socket.

From what I can tell (and someone with more knowledge please chime in) is that the amp is required depending on the Ohms of your headphones.

If your soundcard can push out the ample power, in relation to the Ohms on your headphone, then an amp is not needed. If it can't, then an amp is recommended.

xemumanic

HOLY SHIT!!!

The Astro Mixamp 5.8 is AMAZING!!!

Here are some notes from using it for 45 minutes.

• Great surround sound with the AD700s
  • Bass Boost gives just enough kick
  • ZERO interferance, crystal clear!
  • MAKES GAMES SOUND AWESOME!

It should be a requirement for any serious gamer. Compared to the three wireless headphone options I tried, the AD700s paired with the Astro Mixamp 5.8 is the best gaming audio experience I could have imagined. Kudos to the guys at Astro for making a great product.

I don't like wireless headphones as a rule, but if I was to go that route, then I would use this. Otherwise, I say go with the Original wired Astro MixAmp.

From what I can tell (and someone with more knowledge please chime in) is that the amp is required depending on the Ohms of your headphones.

If your soundcard can push out the ample power, in relation to the Ohms on your headphone, then an amp is not needed. If it can't, then an amp is recommended.

I have the Creative X-Fi Titanium hooked up to the receiver.
I am thinking of buying the Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic. thoughts?

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't like wireless headphones as a rule, but if I was to go that route, then I would use this. Otherwise, I say go with the Original wired Astro MixAmp.

The original doesn't have bass boost if that's what you're looking for.

It's also a pretty poor/mediocre amp, and has shielding issues (lots of noise if it's within a foot of any wireless transmitter, such as a phone or router).

I use it for mixing PC/console sound together, which is nice since I can chat on Ventrilo while playing console games.

2real4tv

Any recommendations for me, headset with mic that meet these constraints:
-PS360
-wireless
-Dolby 7.1

Was leaning towards the logitech g930 but its not compatible with consoles. Also, interested in the Sony headset but its not compatible with 360. Might end up getting the Sony headset but my whole purpose was to use the chat for Gears :(

adelante

Any recommendations for me, headset with mic that meet these constraints:
-PS360
-wireless
-Dolby 7.1

Was leaning towards the logitech g930 but its not compatible with consoles. Also, interested in the Sony headset but its not compatible with 360. Might end up getting the Sony headset but my whole purpose was to use the chat for Gears :(

Wait a little longer for the just-announced XP400? I'm looking to upgrade from my existing Chimaera5.1 and older X41 with this since it also features dualband wifi (5.8ghz, no interference), bluetooth (PS3 wireless chat and even X360 with the included chat adapter) and rechargeable battery...

Top Bottom