• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Movies. 50 Books. 1 Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goody

I'm in.

I just watched The Illusionist (the animated one), and I just need to pick a book to read.

I'm right next to my shelves so let's pick... Outer Dark, by Cormac McCarthy.

Movies will definitely be easier to do than books for me, since I find hardly ever find the time to read.

Kabouter

Movie #2 done
The Manchurian Candidate (1962) - Enjoyed it a lot, not so much the beginning, but later on it got pretty great.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I'll give it a crack I guess (I wont make 50 but it'll be fun to see how many I can get to)

first book: Dune

Wolfe

Alright I'll give this a shot, 1 of each per week should be easily attainable.

Here's my first outing:

Books
The Hobbit
Movies
Alien

AAequal

Banned
I'm in. I already watched my first movie that was In Cold Blood (1967). Didn't really care for it, pacing was just too slow for me. Robert Blake and Scott Wilson did fantastic job tho. My next film is going to be Werner Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World. I also have two books waiting for me at the post office and I'm going to start my year with them.

Books:
#1 The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo
#2 Caim by José Saramago

Movies:
#1 In Cold Blood
#2 Encounters at the End of the World

Angry Fork

I went for 365 movies in a year with my girlfriend one year, maybe 2005 or 2006. I think we stopped around 9 months in with about 100 films watched. I think, despite whiffing the goal majorly, it was a pretty powerful motivator to keep us watching stuff. Of the ones we watched, I think my best discovery was Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang with Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer. It was a very funny but very dark crime dramedy with a few great twists. Very clever. It was to be the start of Downey's comeback, but it didn't really do all that well at the box office. Pity.

The guy who did Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is directing Iron Man 3 and possibly Death Note though, so not all his lost. I agree though funny movie, my favorite scene was when Downey is dead serious telling this guy that he's going to destroy him in a fight and it immediately cuts to him getting his ass kicked. I couldn't stop laughing.

Lol @ updated OP...I think i will only post titles from here on out and let the OP describe the books/movies for me.

I like this dude. Tony Moore avatar to boot!

I was listening to NIN's Ghosts this morning and realized I hadn't ever really listened to the whole album before. Thinking about adding 100 Albums to the tally.

Why not, right?!?!

fisheyes

I would love to start reading more (I don't think I could say I read one book last year), maybe I'll give this a go. There's no way I'll make it even close to 50, but if, like others are saying, I could maybe read a book a month, I'd honestly be happy.

Movies, meanwhile, shouldn't be too hard - I've seen two already this year.
1. The Muppets
2. The Adventures of Tintin

I don't know, do you guys think I should even be counting these dudes who've already given up on books? You can't take part in just the swimming part of a triathlon, right?

Just letting everyone know I'm in.

I have somewhere around 80-100 books on my shelf and in boxes I need to read, (including maybe 25 unseen movies as well), so my whole journey is easily accessible.

I'll post a list when I get home.

fisheyes

I don't know, do you guys think I should even be counting these dudes who've already given up on books? You can't take part in just the swimming part of a triathlon, right?

If the only goal is to better one's self, then I don't see the problem. Everyone in here is committing to at least a 'personal best' - even if that's only one book - and that's the spirit of the whole thing, right?

If the only goal is to better one's self, then I don't see the problem. Everyone in here is committing to at least a 'personal best' - even if that's only one book - and that's the spirit of the whole thing, right?

I don't mind tracking people who are just doing the books, but it seems disingenuous to claim that just doing the movies is any kind of challenge. Especially when they're giving up on the books part instantly. Like, there were literally posts saying "I don't read books. Here's my movie list so far."

AndyD

aka andydumi
Update here. Watched The Eagle on HBO.

AndyD
Books
1. The Trial/Franz Kafka
2. A Selective History Of Max Werner/Scott Forbes
3. A Storm Of Swords/George "Can I Write About Food Some More" "Double-R, Like The Barbie-Que" R.R. Martin
Movies
1. Dinner For Schmucks
2. Due Date
3. The Eagle

Red

I guess I'll do this too (even though I know it won't come to fruition):

Book 1: Brave New World
Book 2: Steve Jobs

Movie 1: Amadeus (for like the millionth rewatch. One of my favorites)
Movie 2: Waiting for Superman
Movie 3: Revolution OS
Movie 4: Exit Through the Gift Shop

Ashes

Banned
I read 50 short stories over the course of summer last year - for the master yourself thread.. I wrote 20 short stories and 30 poems for the creative writing and the poetry threads, and a novel for nanowrimo thread. 2011 was a good year.....

:/

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
I guess I'll do this too (even though I know it won't come to fruition):

Book 1: Brave New World
Book 2: Steve Jobs

Movie 1: Amadeus (for like the millionth rewatch. One of my favorites)
Movie 2: Waiting for Superman
Movie 3: Revolution OS
Movie 4: Exit Through the Gift Shop

I read Brave New World last year at the same time. I hated it quite honestly.

dagZ

So far I got:

Movies:
Alien
Aliens
Star Wars I-VI
The Art of Flight

Books:
Just finished Mockingjay
started the Hobbit

Dresden

Book. 1: Hiroshima in Morning
Book. 2: Leave It to Psmith
Book. 3: The Great Game

Movie. 1: Taxi Driver

Rewatch.

fisheyes

I don't mind tracking people who are just doing the books, but it seems disingenuous to claim that just doing the movies is any kind of challenge. Especially when they're giving up on the books part instantly. Like, there were literally posts saying "I don't read books. Here's my movie list so far."

Oh, that is different then. I thought you were referring to the people that had conceded they weren't gonna reach 50, but set themselves a more manageable goal instead.

Cousteau

I'm switching books with hookers.

Much easier to reach the goal,and the payoff is better.
YMMV as far as eye strain goes..

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Currently reading two books:
The Deathgate Cycle: Elven Star
Mean Genes

TDGC is taking me forever to get through. I'm reading it really slowly and deliberately and engaging in deep discussions with a friend who has already read them. Its less of a read and more of an education. The way the world building is done and how expansive it is it makes sense to go back and reread/discuss/examine things as they progress. Especially since the first few individual books are pretty much exclusively world building exercises with a secondary-ish plot.

Incredibly imaginative books, couldn't recommend them more.

Mean Genes
is kind of a fun little read. Its "very scientific" but is dumbed to the point where I wish it was more specific. It deals heavily in analogies that aren't always perfect. But it is a very easy, fun and most importantly engaging read dealing with some pretty heady concepts about genetics and our predisposition to certain behaviors.

Movies:
The Lawnmower Man. Have never seen, not sure when I'll watch it.
Strange Days. Also never seen it but it sounds awesome.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I finished my first book of 2011 last night, The Caves of Steel by Asimov. Not sure what I will tackle next.

Edit: Ummm, make that 2012. Still not used to the new year.

Red

I read Brave New World last year at the same time. I hated it quite honestly.

I have read it before, in seventh or eighth grade, but I figured it was time for it again. I like the book a lot, and I think it remains applicable today (maybe now more than ever).

My only complaint is with the suddenness of the ending, and how it seems to imply that the "death of beauty" or true humanness is an inevitability. I don't know if it's making the argument that John and the "New World" are opposite sides of a spectrum, like two impossible extremes, and that neither one can truly work, but there's a clear loser at the end which really pushes the superiority or, at least strength of the winning system.

I guess it all stems from the character John being irrational and damaged in many ways. He's not someone who can articulate what is wrong with the way things are.

I wish I had time. Maybe I'll watch less movies (still easily beat 50) to read more, which is probably what I should be doing anyway.

Bleepey

When i was from the ages of 9-17 i could have aced this challenge and probably done double it. The internet however has killed my attention span. I don't even watch TV.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
I have read it before, in seventh or eighth grade, but I figured it was time for it again. I like the book a lot, and I think it remains applicable today (maybe now more than ever).

My only complaint is with the suddenness of the ending, and how it seems to imply that the "death of beauty" or true humanness is an inevitability. I don't know if it's making the argument that John and the "New World" are opposite sides of a spectrum, like two impossible extremes, and that neither one can truly work, but there's a clear loser at the end which really pushes the superiority or, at least strength of the winning system.

I guess it all stems from the character John being irrational and damaged in many ways. He's not someone who can articulate what is wrong with the way things are.

I just re-read my original comment. I must have been distracted or something cause I didn't mean to just say I hate it, and leave it at that. I also meant to ask U your opinion so I'm glad you gave it anyway.

Yes I agree with you. The book in itself was interesting and I agree that the dystopian themes still hold true. And, as with lots of dystopian novels, that theory may very well come true.

Anyway, my big problem is that the characters were too one-dimensional. I can look past it in the Alphas etc, because it's their conditioning but I think John became less interesting for it. The ending was also far too abrupt in my opinion, so abrupt in fact that I nearly missed it. The feet going north, north west, west and then back again, was a poetic but really abstract way of putting it, and I felt it was kind of a cowardly way out of the book.

There's no real resolution. You said there's a winner but I don't really think so. The savage camp is still there and there's now some seed of rebellion within the other camp with the tall, awesome Alpha and the short, bitter one (i forget their names).

1984 has no 'real' resolution either. The big bad wins and all is normal again but I feel it helps make the threat of an all-powerful/knowing government that much more real. In Brave New World, I was like, really? thanks for wasting my time. Like a story that takes forever and goes nowhere.

I guess I didn't hate it, I was just disappointed.

------------
I finished Book 2: 44 by Joolz Somebody.
Good premise - girl wakes up from the dead and can see serial killer on rampage.
Then it takes a huge nosedive towards the end. Huuuuuuuuuge.
Still enjoyable except for the last 20-30 pages. 3 stars?

Book 3: Dunno - will take recommendations.

Red

There's no real resolution. You said there's a winner but I don't really think so. The savage camp is still there and there's now some seed of rebellion within the other camp with the tall, awesome Alpha and the short, bitter one (i forget their names).

1984 has no 'real' resolution either. The big bad wins and all is normal again but I feel it helps make the threat of an all-powerful/knowing government that much more real. In Brave New World, I was like, really? thanks for wasting my time. Like a story that takes forever and goes nowhere.

I guess I didn't hate it, I was just disappointed.

You're thinking about Marx and Watson when you talk about rebellion, but they are both sufficiently dealt with before the end. They get sent away to an island that is not controlled by the World State, and they are happy about that. The Controller talks to them and explains that every once in a while, a person will become an individual despite their conditioning, and when that happens they get sent away to a community of like-minded people.

John is not allowed to leave with them, or he otherwise would (because their destination is exactly what he's looking for). Somehow he leaves anyway, but moves into an unrelated light house, where the story ends.

I liked the east southeast south thing at the end. I thought it was incredibly well done. What I didn't like was the part directly preceding that, where John blacks out for some reason and apparently does soma and has sex (I guess this is passed off as him being swept up in the crowd, but he's spent the entire story not being swept up, so it doesn't sit right with me).

I want to read Island sometime soon to see where else Huxley takes these ideas. Brave New World is all I've ever read from him.

I think the ideas in Brave New World are unique for providing a dystopia through stupefying happiness instead of strict power and control. You don't see that often, and I would say it's the more insidious (and topical) way to go about things.

The consumerist angle that so much of the new society takes reminds me of Apple culture like a punch in the gut.

Current List (as of 22th April):

Books:
1. Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
2. The Siege of Krishnapur - J. G. Farrell
3. Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
4. Neuromancer - William Gibson
5. We - Yevgeny Zamyatin
6. Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance - Robert M. Pirsig
7. Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett
8. Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
9. The Heroes - Joe Abercrombie
10. Roxana - Daniel Defoe
11. Memoirs of Emma Courtney - Mary Hays
12. Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse - Ed. John Joseph Adams
13. The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson
14. The Well of Ascension - Brandon Sanderson
15. The Hero of Ages - Brandon Sanderson
16. The Alloy of Law - Brandon Sanderson

Films:
1. (500) Days of Summer
2. The Trotsky
3. Horrible Bosses
4. 50-50
5. Before Sunrise
6. Before Sunset
7. Killer Elite
8. The Ides of March
9. Crazy Stupid Love
10. Contagion
11. Bridesmaids
12. 50 - 50
13. Easy A
14. Good Night and Good Luck
15. Lars and the Real Girl
16. One Day
17. Control
18. Broken Flowers
19. True Grit
20. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
21. The Adventures of Tintin
22. The Descendants
23. The Ides of March
24. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
25. Moneyball
26. 30 Minutes or Less
27. Friends with Benefits
28. Hugo
29. Our Idiot Brother
30. Easy A
31. Going The Distance
32. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
33. Hot Tub Time Machine
34. Thank You For Smoking

AAequal

Banned
I started to plan my to read and to watch list. Striked are the ones that I'm done with. Not sure if I will go in that order but those are ten first films/books I will read/see this year. The Sea and Poison was short book and I was able to read in one night. I was going to read Caim next but I started re-reading Plague (I read it over 10 years ago) and I didn't remember how good it was so I guess I'm going to stick with it. Encounters at the End of the World was my first Herzog documentary and it was so goood! I have placed order for rest of his documentaries and I will be watching them soon as I get them.

Books:
#2 Caim by José Saramago
#3 Plague by Albert Camus
#4 The Outsider by Albert Camus
#5 The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe
#6 American Gods by Neil Gaiman
#7 Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima
#8 Runaway Horses by Yukio Mishima
#9 The Temple of Dawn by Yukio Mishima
#10 The Decay of the Angel by Yukio Mishima

Movies:
#1 In Cold Blood by Richard Brooks
#2 Encounters at the End of the World by Werner Herzog
#3 Breathless by Jean-Luc Godard
#4 Dirty Money by Jean-Pierre Melville
#5 The Red Circle by Jean-Pierre Melville
#6 Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog
#7 The White Diamond by Werner Herzog
#8 Fall Guy by Kinji Fukasaku
#9 Sympathy for the Underdog by Kinji Fukasaku
#10 Harlan County, USA by Barbara Kopple

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I started to plan my to read and to watch list. Striked are the ones that I'm done with. Not sure if I will go in that order but those are ten first films/books I will read/see this year. The Sea and Poison was short book and I was able to read in one night. I was going to read Caim next but I started re-reading Plague (I read it over 10 years ago) and I didn't remember how good it was so I guess I'm going to stick with it. Encounters at the End of the World was my first Herzog documentary and it was so goood! I have placed order for rest of his documentaries and I will be watching them soon as I get them.

Books:
#2 Caim by José Saramago
#3 Plague by Albert Camus
#4 The Outsider by Albert Camus
#5 The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe
#6 American Gods by Neil Gaiman
#7 Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima
#8 Runaway Horses by Yukio Mishima
#9 The Temple of Dawn by Yukio Mishima
#10 The Decay of the Angel by Yukio Mishima

Movies:
#1 In Cold Blood by Richard Brooks
#2 Encounters at the End of the World by Werner Herzog
#3 Breathless by Jean-Luc Godard
#4 Dirty Money by Jean-Pierre Melville
#5 The Red Circle by Jean-Pierre Melville
#6 Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog
#7 The White Diamond by Werner Herzog
#8 Fall Guy by Kinji Fukasaku
#9 Sympathy for the Underdog by Kinji Fukasaku
#10 Harlan County, USA by Barbara Kopple

Don't it's really shit.

xBigDanx

Figure I'll jump in... always try and do these goal oriented things but never seem to follow through with it. Always hope each year is different.

Movies:
1. Tucker and Dale vs Evil - fantastic 'horror' movie, good spin on a tired genre

Books:
1. God, No! by Penn Jillette - great, easy read. Very enjoyable.

AAequal

Banned
Don't it's really shit.

I have heard this before, but I don't really mind it being shit since if I don't like it I won't finish it, I just replace it with some other book. Also I want get to know the source material before the HBO show starts. Plot sounds rather interesting to me and while it has gotten polarizing reviews I'm willing to give it a shot.

Don't it's really shit.

I don't know if I'd say it's shit, though it isn't Gaiman's best book. There are some really great moments, and the idea is cool (Gaiman is never wanting for good ideas), but it can be a little dull.

AAequal said:
I have heard this before, but I don't really mind it being shit since if I don't like it I won't finish it, I just replace it with some other book. Also I want get to know the source material before the HBO show starts. Plot sounds rather interesting to me and while it has gotten polarizing reviews I'm willing to give it a shot.

Yeah give it a shot at least, but if you aren't enjoying it early on, I wouldn't keep going. It doesn't get that much better.

NekoFever

I don't think the books on my "want to read" pile really line up with the possibility of reading 50 in a year. Too many long-ass fantasy and sci fi series.
Same here. I'm already 410 pages into a 600-page book for this year so I guess it's possible, but keeping up that pace for a year would just take all the pleasure out of it.

A bit late to start it for 2012 now, but I'd be up for 365 (or 366 for this year, I guess) new movies in a year as a challenge. My housemate and I once did it for about six months.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
Don't it's really shit.

I really wanted to like Gaiman. He comes across well in his interviews and I love the material he deals with.
So far I've read Anansi Boys and the Graveyard book and I feel like the writing falls waaaaay short, especially for such a superstar writer.
I haven't given up on him yet but I'm definitely not the fan I was hoping I'd be.

I really wanted to like Gaiman. He comes across well in his interviews and I love the material he deals with.
So far I've read Anansi Boys and the Graveyard book and I feel like the writing falls waaaaay short, especially for such a superstar writer.
I haven't given up on him yet but I'm definitely not the fan I was hoping I'd be.

I hinted to this above, but I've always felt that Gaiman has better ideas than he does execution. Almost all of his books sound great in the pitch, but reading them always leaves something to be desired. Still, Neverwhere is worth checking out if you want to give him another chance.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I finished my second book Containment by Christian Cantrell.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0984550518/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It was pretty good. Haven't watched any movies in 2012 yet I realized.

Anyone know a good book listing site that is free? I started using http://www.librarything.com, using tags to filter books by year I read them, but it makes you pay after entering 200 books. Anyone have a recommendation of something similar where I can add tags and notes to books I enter?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This challenge I accept.

Books, everything I've been meaning to get to:

1. Halo: The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund
  2. Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
  3. House of Pomegranates by Oscar Wilde
  4. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  5. Halo: First Strike by Eric Nylund
  6. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lewis Wallace
  7. Shogun A Novel of Japan by James Clavell
  8. The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman
  9. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
  10. Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.
  11. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
  12. A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
  13. Beowulf: A New Verse Translation by Seamus Heaney
  14. Grendel by John William Gardner
  15. Halo: Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten
  16. Touching Evil by Kay Hooper
  17. Ender's Game by Scott Orson Card
  18. Speaker for the Dead by Scott Orson Card
  19. Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl

Movies:

1. The Social Network
  2. Clerks
  3. Sin Nombre
  4. The Blues Brothers
  5. Edward Scissorhands
  6. Tokyo Gore Police
  7. Howl's Moving Castle
  8. Black Snake Moan
  9. The Shrine
  10. Silmido
  11. The Baader Meinhof Complex
  12. Apocalypse Now
  13. The Iron Giant
  14. The Game
  15. Blade Runner: Theatrical Cut
  16. Insidious
  17. Let the Right One In
  18. Let Me In
  19. Hunger
  20. Cashback
  21. The Weatherman
  22. Lincoln Lawyer
  23. A Clockwork Orange
  24. Hanna
  25. The Other Guys
  26. The Perfect Host
  27. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
  28. Drive
  29. Office Space
  30. 30 Minutes or Less

My intention is to go in order, but I have no idea if that's how things will play out. Movies will obviously be the easier of the two to tackle.

Nista

I'll jump on this bandwagon. I've been feeling like I haven't spent enough time reading in the past year. And it's hard for me to sit down and watch a movie alone, so I may have to enlist some of my friends to help with that part.

Going to start off with some non-fiction. Ended up watching a bunch of movies off FIOS this weekend.

Books:
1. Essential German Grammar
2. Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
3. Ultimate Speed Secrets

Movies:
1. Tree of Life
2. The Twilight Samurai
3. Chronicles of Riddick - Such a bad movie, but Vin Diesel is hilarious throughout.
4. An Arctic Tale - Queen Latifah is hilarious as a nature movie narrator.
5. Freakonomics - Interesting documentary made out of the book. Kind of disjointed.
6. The Medallion - Typical goofy slapstick Jackie Chan movie.
7. Mystery Men - I had totally forgotten the plot of this movie. Liked it more than any recent Ben Stiller movies.
8. Arthur (remake) - Not sure why they remade this. I enjoyed Helen Mirren more than the original, but the rest was pointless.
9. Fatal Attraction - Never saw it originally. Kind of a bad and freaky movie. Couldn't tell if the kid was a boy or girl. 80s hair is frightening.
10. Tintin (hopefully this next week)

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
I'll jump on this bandwagon. I've been feeling like I haven't spent enough time reading in the past year. And it's hard for me to sit down and watch a movie alone, so I may have to enlist some of my friends to help with that part.

Going to start off with some non-fiction.

Books:
1. Essential German Grammar
2. Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat

Movies:
1. Tree of Life
2. The Twilight Samurai
3. Tintin (hopefully this next week)

Hey! Recipes is cheating!

jk

Finished my book #2, Ender's Game. Going to move on to The Stranger by Albert Camus and A Brave New World.

Ender's Game is a book everyone should read. It's some pretty powerful stuff.

http://www.fiftyfifty.me/

Anyone else taking part in this?

AvidNobody
Books
1. 1984/Alan Moore, I'm almost positive. Black Dossier was the sequel, right?

It's actually by George Orwell, same guy who wrote Animal Farm. It was written in 1948, and it's all about where our world is heading as governments get even more power. It's pretty good, and extremely graphic/horrifying. Not so much as in actual violence, but the idea that individuality would become so weak and there's no room for any sort of democracy in the entire world is scary. Apple did that super swell add on it for the Macintosh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

I'm in. I've started reading some old classics on the Kindle so it may take a few days to get some books up on my list. So far...

Movies

The Adventures of Tintin

And actually, if viewings / readings of things I've seen or read before don't count, I'm at zero for both.

Ulp, just saw this on the site...

6) Can I rewatch/reread?
Of course you can rewatch and reread… it just won’t count towards your 50/50 ;)

We hope you will use FiftyFifty to inspire you to explore new stuff! Maybe next year we will include a “Reminiscing” theme, but this year around we’re asking you to go fresh.

I'm doomed. I love reading and watching books and movies I've seen before. I could probably do 50/50 pretty well if not for that. We'll see how I do with that in place. :)

Nista

Hey! Recipes is cheating!

jk

Heh, if I actually include the time spent cooking all the recipes, it would be longer than a George R.R. Martin book for me.

Don't worry, I'll have a bunch of fiction on there as soon as I have a chance to go through my bookshelf/borrow stuff from friends. I hope by the end of the year I'll be able to read a book in a non-native language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom