• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Movies. 50 Books. 1 Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Really? I'm only halfway through the second book, and it's been mouthwatering so far! So many honeyed and spiced braised lambs!

Oh. I find he is not as descriptive as others in general, which is why I like his books more than some Tolkien ones for example. They are both descriptive, but I find Martin to be more relevant to the setting and less wandering so it fits in better. But like you said, it really makes you want to see or touch or eat what he describes. I guess the second half of 2 and 3 so far are pretty bleak by comparison to the early "elegant" times.

Well some of his arguments are weaker than others, but he paints a fairly clear line from the evolution of papal doctrine of infallibility and absolutist autocratic power and how it directly impacted Catholicisms ability to effectively counteract the growing threat of Nazi Germany. Specifically, Pacelli (Pius XII) is shown to be woefully out of his sphere of understanding when it comes to the potential diplomatic impact of many of his decisions (including some of the stuff he had a hand in prior to when he was Pope, some which directly contributed to the tensions leading up to WWI), and completely ice cold when it comes to having any empathy for the plight of the Jewish peoples. He essentially refused to outright condemn the Nazi atrocities throughout the war, which could have certainly had an impact given how much influence the Pope had on his followers during this period.

In any event, the book gets a little unfocused at times, particularly by the end when it leaves Pacelli's papacy and starts following the popes that followed briefly, but it's a very interesting read. And depressing!

Interesting. I will track it down but I remember some years back reading a book that was similar but about the plight of Africans and American Indians during colonial times. It dealt with European political, social and religious leaders and their indifference and single mindedness in similar circumstances.

tagrat

I'm thinking of starting to do this. Like most people, movies are not a problem. Already watch a few this year and at a slower pace than I normally do. Reading... not my forte. I have been wanting to read more, but damn am I slow at it. I will be happy if I finish a book a month.

Movies
NEW! = Movie I have never seen before (these are only counted in the 50/50 idea).

1. Predator (1987)
Its aged well, even if it is a corny 80's action movie. I was surprised to read recently that Jean Claude Van Damme made his acting debut as The Predator in this movie, but only for 2 scenes. Both when the Predator was stealth and jumping around the jungle.

2. Predator 2 (1990)
Cheesy. Camp and Danny Glover. Who cares though. There's a decent idea within this film, shame the execution is so poor. It does allow however for a good trivia question - Who are the only 2 actors to have been killed by an Alien, Predator and a Terminator?

3. Predators (2010)
Didn't like it on first viewing when it was released. However, on second viewing when I no longer care about what it should/could have been its decent and fits somewhat within the Predator storyline. Not too sure about the whole collecting 'bad people' to hunt part though.

4. AVP: Alien v Predator (2004)
I tell people I don't like it, but I keep watching it... action cuts were too fast for my liking.

5. Jurassic Park (1993)
Classic. Amazing that it still looks 'modern' nearly 20 years on.

NEW! 6. One Day (2011)
Watched it with the wife. She hated it (she's recently read the book). I was bored. Do not watch.

NEW! 7 AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem (2007)
Very dark. First time I've seen it and somewhat disappointed. Nice touch with the classic 'sounds', shame its just... odd.

NEW! 8 Boyz n the Hood (1991)
Not what I was expecting at all. A good character developing story (even if the ending seemed a little rushed). Watched this mainly for the references in GTA: SA... enjoyed it, however.

NEW! 9 Black Dynamite (2009)
Unreal. One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Its a spoof based on a the blaxploitation movies of the 60s - namely 'Shaft'. The one liners are fantastic, the 'bad' editing is great.

10 Conan the Barbarian (1982)
I forgot how bad this was. I spent most of the film laughing at how cheesy everything was.

NEW! 11 Friday (1995)
Perhaps its because I was never a stoner, but I just didn't get this or find it half as funny as my mates suggested it would be. Though that was 10 years ago... and they were stoners.

12 Conan the Destroyer (1984)
Worse than the first film! Wilt Chamblerin is the only saving grace.

13 Batman (1989)
This used to be my favourite Batman movie, however that's changed since Christopher Nolan decided to make 2 great films. I'm not sure why, but the cartoonish/Tim Burton style limits it for me. Still an OK film (amazing 80s soundtrack from Prince), but its just not the same.

NEW! 14 Patton (1970)
The monologue at the start hooked me. I had no idea it was a 3 hour film, and it didn't really feel like it. Great film.

Books
1. A Cultured Left Foot - Musa Okwonga (Small book on football/soccer and why left footed players are more 'skillfull'. Bit of a fluff book really, wouldn't recommend).
2. SOFI 4: Feast for Crows - George R. R. Martin (LOOOOOOOOOOOONG read, not the best of the series but I'm hoping it helps build for the next book).

tagrat

Ok I'm in:

Movies:

01. Moneyball
02. Mission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol
03. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
04. Morning Glory
05. Machete Maidens Unleashed!
06. The Trip

Books:

Count me in

Books
1. The Devil in the White City
2. Nightwoods
3. Gateway

Movies

1. 13 Assassins
2. Tucker & Dale vs Evil
3. The Help
4. Castaway on the Moon
5. Jeremiah Johnson

My first 25 films viewed, goal is 300 at the end of the year:

01. 13
02. Fast Five
03. Shooter
04. The Guard
05. Meek's Cutoff
06. The Skin I Live In
07. Kill List
08. Certified Copy
09. Jane Eyre
10. Martha Marcy May Marlene
11. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
12. War Horse
13. The Help
14. We Need To Talk About Kevin
15. A Separation
16. Melancholia
17. Zodiac
18. Source Code
19. The Tree of Life
20. Youth in Revolt
21. In a Better World
22. The Secret In Their Eyes
23. Bottle Rocket
24. Rushmore
25. The Royal Tenenbaums

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
Do we post again or update previous posts?

1. I just finished the bedwetter - Sarah Silverman
2. I've started Le comte de monte-cristo - Alexandre Dumas
2. The Color Purple - Alice Walker

Now reading The Ice Queen - Alice Hoffman

Finished Best Served Cold(more hugely flawed characters that invoke both revulsion & [a little]sympathy from Abercrombie, but wrapped up in a more satisfying plot than the First Law, definitely worth reading if you like his style of Fantasy), next I will start on The Killing Joke - Alan Moore.

Books

1. Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut.
2. Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
3.The Killing Joke - Alan Moore

Films

1. The Manchurian Candidate (2004)
2. District 13 (2004)

Ratrat

Book 2: The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson
yeah, it was as great as people were saying. I even bought a 2nd copy as a gift. :)
Book 3: Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card

Movie 2: Robocop(1987)
Movie 3: A Single Man(2009)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Update:
We watched Coming to America, as it was my anniversary of moving to the US. I do that every year. We also watched Funny People, which is jam packed with famous comedians, pretty good movie, great first half, but then it turns a little weird. I am also re-reading the History of Max Werner on behalf of Scott Forbes, who is a Gaffer.

AndyD
Books
1. The Trial/Franz Kafka
2. A Selective History Of Max Werner/Scott Forbes
3. A Storm Of Swords/George R.R. Martin
Movies
1. Dinner For Schmucks
2. Due Date
3. The Eagle
4. Date Night
5. Elizabeth I
6. McGruber
7. Leap Year
8. Coming to America
9. Funny People

Murkas

I'll join!

Movies
1. The Amityville Horror. Watched it last night and thought it sucked.

Books
1. Storm of Swords-George RR Martin. Started this yesterday, hope the quality stays the same like with the first 2 books.

Kosh

Books
4. Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of A President - Candice Millard
5. A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin

Movies
2. The Social Network

New stuff in bold

Books
1. The Devil in the White City
2. Nightwoods
3. Gateway

Movies

1. 13 Assassins
2. Tucker & Dale vs Evil
3. The Help
4. Castaway on the Moon
5. Jeremiah Johnson
6. Robin Hood
7. Valkyrie
8. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
9. Bridesmaids

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
1. I just finished the bedwetter - Sarah Silverman
2. The Color Purple - Alice Walker
3. The Ice Queen - Alice Hoffman

4. ???

Murkas

Movies
2. Braveheart. Great film, can't believe its taken me this long to watch it.

Forgot to mention this in my first post but I'm planning to have all fifty to be books/films I've never watched/read.

48 films and 50 books to go!

I'm in:

Films
:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Hugo
50/50

Books:
People's Republic by Robert Muchamore (christmas present :/)

Next is Jane Eyre. I tried reading The Affair by Lee Child which was another present but I can't stomach finishing it.

Forgot to mention this in my first post but I'm planning to have all fifty to be books/films I've never watched/read.

That's the actual rule.

Updating the OP now. SO MANY PEOPLE listing movies they've already seen, Jesus Christ. I'm putting them in because I don't have the energy or time to do otherwise but UGH WTFFFFFFFF.

There are also some posts that are conversational, no numbers, vaguely listed, not even sure if they want to participate but naming shit anyway? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

UPDATED. Some dude, babysomething, literally had like four "2." books.

YEESH.

TRY and make it a little easy for me.

Also, please keep your commentary after the lists.

Also, no, movies you've seen DON'T count.

If you don't see your name up there, it's probably because your post was nowhere near a parsable format. Feel free to post again.

And if you have movies in your list that you've already seen, you can try and live with yourself and your falsehoods, or post a new list.

Also, some dude posted like 20 of each in the first week, which I'm guessing was a to-do list. I posted it anyway, because I am lazy, but if you think I'm going back there and changing it once you put in what you actually read, aHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AndyD

aka andydumi
AndyD
Books
1. The Trial/Franz Kafka 2. A Selective History Of Max Werner/Scott Forbes 3. A Storm Of Swords/George R.R. Martin
Movies
1. Dinner For Schmucks 2. Due Date 3. The Eagle 4. Date Night 5. Elizabeth I 6. McGruber 7. Leap Year 8. Coming to America 9. Funny People 10. Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Update:
Watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Very good. Andy Serkis is amazing.

And at 45% of Storm of Swords, so good!

So far I'm at:

Books:
1. Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
2. The Siege of Krishnapur - J. G. Farrell
3. Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
4. Neuromancer - William Gibson

Films:
1. (500) Days of Summer
2. The Trotsky
3. Horrible Bosses
4. 50-50
5. Before Sunrise
6. Before Sunset

Updated. Newly consumed media in bold.

Updated. Newly consumed media in bold.

What did you think of Before Sunrise/Sunset? I loved those.
50/50 was also pretty good. Very funny but didn't live up to the immense hype in my opinion.

I started watching The Trotsky months and months ago but couldn't get into it. How did you find it?

Movie 1: Seven
Movie 2: Jurassic Park
Movie 3: Inglorious Basterds
Movie 4: The Adventures of Tin Tin
Movie 5: Jackass 2.5
Movie 6: Jackass 3

Book 1: Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut

The book was interesting though I sort of lost the focus of it midway through. I know Vonnegut states in the book that he isn't interested in making a statement but the book certainly feels like he's making one. I just couldn't figure out what it was.

One of the more noticeable things (partly due to the year it was published) was the flagrant use of the n-word in a way that seemed both intentional and colloquial. Kind of a "we call them N-words because they are N-words and that isn't necessarily a bad thing" yet the way it was done seemed to call such use into question without ever doing so. I don't know if I'm reading into what I shouldn't or if that was intended.

What did you think of Before Sunrise/Sunset? I loved those.
50/50 was also pretty good. Very funny but didn't live up to the immense hype in my opinion.

I started watching The Trotsky months and months ago but couldn't get into it. How did you find it?

Oh man, Before Sunrise and Sunset were fantastic. Most enjoyable films I've seen in a while. I loved that they were came across like an organic conversation that took place over a short period of time. No major cuts to new locations; you were always led there by the characters. That and conversation heavy movies usually strike a chord with me. I'm always amazed that they are made.

50/50 I dug. But then again I didn't pay attention to any of the pre-release opinions. It didn't do anything unexpected but that didn't annoy me. It didn't really matter though, I still teared up a bit when
Adam was heading into surgery and his mother was asking for a minute
. That and I, like many men, have a massive man crush on JGL.

Trotsky was just a bit of fun. I didn't expect much from a film that's premise was "Kid thinks he is trotsky reincarnated". It came across as very Canadian. The soundtrack is pretty good though. Got me to check out The Stills which were a nice light rock band. Unfortunately now defunct, but some of their tracks will definitely enter my rotation.

-Babyteks-

Neo Member
Book 1: Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut

The book was interesting though I sort of lost the focus of it midway through. I know Vonnegut states in the book that he isn't interested in making a statement but the book certainly feels like he's making one. I just couldn't figure out what it was.

One of the more noticeable things (partly due to the year it was published) was the flagrant use of the n-word in a way that seemed both intentional and colloquial. Kind of a "we call them N-words because they are N-words and that isn't necessarily a bad thing" yet the way it was done seemed to call such use into question without ever doing so. I don't know if I'm reading into what I shouldn't or if that was intended.

Interesting. I was recently recommended "anything" by Vonnegut and that's one of the books I've joined the waiting list for. that's one practice that I can't condone, no matter who says it, UNLESS it somehow serves a purpose. Was that the case here? Or do you think it was purely racism? And would you read more Vonnegut?

Ashes

Banned
UPDATED. Some dude, babysomething, literally had like four "2." books.

YEESH.

TRY and make it a little easy for me.

Also, please keep your commentary after the lists.

Also, no, movies you've seen DON'T count.

If you don't see your name up there, it's probably because your post was nowhere near a parsable format. Feel free to post again.

And if you have movies in your list that you've already seen, you can try and live with yourself and your falsehoods, or post a new list.

Also, some dude posted like 20 of each in the first week, which I'm guessing was a to-do list. I posted it anyway, because I am lazy, but if you think I'm going back there and changing it once you put in what you actually read, aHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

You could just write numbers? Add in details at the end of the year by linking to certain posts?

Ashes1396 - books 1/50 / films 0/50.

Op would look much more cleaner.

Ashes

Banned
AAequal - books 10/50 / films 10/50.
Amir0x - books 5/50 / films 3/50.
AndyD - books 3/50 / films 7/50.
Angry Fork - books 1/50 / films 2/50.
AvidNobody - books 3/50 / films 2/50.

etc... that took a couple of minutes... make your life easier op. :p or we'll have to find a mental asylum for you at the end of the year op.

AAequal - books 10/50 / films 10/50.
Amir0x - books 5/50 / films 3/50.
AndyD - books 3/50 / films 7/50.
Angry Fork - books 1/50 / films 2/50.
AvidNobody - books 3/50 / films 2/50.

etc... that took a couple of minutes... make your life easier op. :p or we'll have to find a mental asylum for you op.

The things are numbered. I don't really see the need to put that kind of count. You can see what the highest numbered thing is.

Ashes

Banned
Oh so you mean just have the numbers instead of the titles? I like that!!

Because yeah, I will definitely run out of room.

yep, and at December, just link each username to their final update post. :)

edit: there will be quite a few folks that don't complete it of course. so half way through, you can clean it up even more. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom