• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

51% of Republican voters feel that Trump represents their values better than Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only real major differences between the two are:

-Trade.
-And Ryan doesn't talk and act like a predator. He doesn't routinely insult his opponents. He doesn't push the envelope for what's acceptable to say.

These voters are incredibly deplorable if they think a man who's barely religious and is petty and vindictive is a better representation of their values.

m0dus

Banned
That just means the party needs to change to accommodate the demands of the people that Trump brought over/the party had. Demands like wanting no bad trade agreements, strong immigration, law and order and such.

The only thing this deplorables name calling bullshit causes is further divide the country.

And demands for deregulation, climate change denial, exportation of brown people, imprisonment and murder of black people, oppression of woman's rights, abolishment of gay rights, xenophobia, a disregard for our environment, and the right to wear guns in public (but only if you're white enough)?

Yeah, no. The party needs to educate the great unwashed and uneducated masses it has inherited, not pander and enable them. Sorry. If you are willing to compromise your morals because you feel economics and immigration is a justifiable exchange I'm not with you there.

rjinaz

Deplorables. Oh I'm not supposed to say that since it offends them. I guess I'll go with nasty people. It has Trump's seal of approval.

These voters are incredibly deplorable if they think a man who's barely religious and is petty and vindictive is a better representation of their values.

This is pretty much what I've been thinking of late. Ryan is the consummate GOP conservative. Trump enables the closeted racists to be open about it. I'd even go so far as to say he implicitly encourages it. All the support that Trump has been getting, the cult-like behavior of his followers, it demonstrates all the cliches that people have thought of the Republican base for decades now.

If anything, I'm increasingly nervous that what Trump has finally done is expose the GOP for what it really is. Trump has legitimized the previously "secret" values of the GOP and made them public.

jwhit28

Basically we are seeing a snowball effect where more and more moderate conservatives and business type conservatives leave the party, causing the Tea Party Deplorables and Christian Conservative types to have more control of the party, which causes even more moderates and business types to leave the party, etc.

Democrats will have a lock on both the liberals and the moderates for a generation unless the GOP starts rejecting at least the Deplorables ASAP.

Like the GOP better hope that they don't end up with another Trump as their 2020 nominee or they are never winning the White House again for at least another 24 years.

And just so people understand how dire this is for them, think about what happens if those 33% that side with Ryan decide to leave the GOP. If we assume that 50 of the voters republican, then that would mean losing 16.67% of the voting population.

Even with how lopsided this election could end up being, think about how much worse it could have been if the democratic candidate wasn't someone republicans have been trying to demonize for 20+ years. As disgusting as it is I'm sure some republicans refuse to vote for Barack Obama because his dad's Kenyan, or Hillary Clinton because she is a woman. So what happens to the republican party the next time the democratic candidate is a middle-aged white guy?

Somnid

So 49% of Republicans are not actually Republicans? I don't understand, this is a survey that chases its own tail.

DrMungo

the funny thing is- I think someone like Kasich would have been a formidable candidate. He is still hardcore right on many issues, but folksy enough to seem moderate. (Like a smart GWB. ) Except Les Déplorables have run the asylum.

GWB may have said he thinks he might be the last Republican president

That just means the party needs to change to accommodate the demands of the people that Trump brought over/the party had. Demands like wanting no bad trade agreements, strong immigration, law and order and such.

The only thing this deplorables name calling bullshit causes is further divide the country.

So don't call deplorable people deplorable? That'd be deplorable, so let's call them deplorable..

Deplorables. Oh I'm not supposed to say that since it offends them. I guess I'll go with nasty people. It has Trump's seal of approval.

The poor dears..

What bad trade agreements?

Why do you want stronger immigration?

What the fuck does law and order even mean?

The party has always pandered to the deplorables. Until now though, the deplorables haven't rebelled against the establishment.

You should get a job in the spin room...

the funny thing is- I think someone like Kasich would have been a formidable candidate. He is still hardcore right on many issues, but folksy enough to seem moderate. (Like a smart GWB. ) Except Les Déplorables have run the asylum.

GWB may have said he thinks he might be the last Republican president

I don't agree with most of the policies advocated by the Bush family, but at least they proved themselves to be decent human beings. They even sacrificed the career of one of their own family members to help take Trump down. They valued the future of the country over party loyalty, which is more than can be said for the large majority of Republicans.

Kayhan

Not surprising in the least.

Trump became the Republican candidate exactly because he spoke to the common base rather the open-borders corporate faction of the party that was used to running the show.

Cyborg

The whole world is laughing I know I am in The Netherlands. I just cant believe people in the USA cosider trump to be a good president. Just insane

So 49% of Republicans are not actually Republicans? I don't understand, this is a survey that chases its own tail.
51% of Republicans don't give a shit about their own policies and just want a guy who talks big shit and is racist, homophobic and sexist I guess

I'm still astounded at how the GOP base did a complete 180 on the Iraq war, trade, same sex marriage and other things just because Trump said so.

To be fair, those things are a big part of Republican policies.
Yeah I edited my post to be 51%, the people who support Trump but yeah that still stands. I just mean they went from vehemently supporting things or trashing them to the opposite in one cycle just because of Trump.

It would be like if Hillary started preaching about abortion being evil, austerity being the way forward and the Iraq War being smart and liberals eating it up.

Ponn

Banned
I don't know if its hilarious or depressing that these two are what they consider the choice of mindset of the GOP right now. The GOP is fucked.

kiguel182

It's pretty obvious that Trump winning wasn't a fluke and his racist and xenophobic retoric is what most of the party wants.

The idea that you can support Trump for reasons other than racism is getting more implausible by the day.

Republicans already divided the country by themselves, don't need anyone else's help. Been stopping good bills and laws for a while now from becoming a thing just because of tribalism even when it could help them.

Ryan's career will basically be over in four years. He's a (bullshit) policy guy who best works behind the scenes. He doesn't have the personality to handle House republicans, many of whom are unhinged. We won't know who will become the leader of opposition against Hillary but it'll likely be someone who has no obligations, and thus can be an irrational actor. As Speaker (and as a rational person) Ryan has responsibilities that will put him at odds with the base. He has to help raise the debt ceiling, keep the government open, pass some basic legislation, etc. Just as Boehner did. It'll make him toxic and he'll be accused of aided Hillary in her destruction of America - just as the tea party blames House leadership for Obama's destruction of America.

I really, honest to goodness, do not see Republicans anywhere near the White House in a decade. The inmates really are running the asylum, and they're gonna start electing crazies into lower-level positions from the bottom-up. And while they succeed on a local level, they'll be outnumbered on a national level to the point where they won't be winning presidential elections in a very long time. This isn't gonna blow over in one or two election cycles.

Monocle

And demands for deregulation, climate change denial, exportation of brown people, imprisonment and murder of black people, oppression of woman's rights, abolishment of gay rights, xenophobia, a disregard for our environment, and the right to wear guns in public (but only if you're white enough)?

Yeah, no. The party needs to educate the great unwashed and uneducated masses it has inherited, not pander and enable them. Sorry. If you are willing to compromise your morals because you feel economics and immigration is a justifiable exchange I'm not with you there.
Preach.

Please, tell me more about this hypothetical 'decent Republican nominee' that they'll put up to run against Hillary Clinton in 2020 =p

There isn't because from here on out they'll just keep nominating Trump-like candidates... For better or worse.

Machina

Banned
This is why you don't base your entire policy approach around the religious right. Democracy, liberty, the rule of law and tolerance have no place in the bible.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
At this point, moderate republicans are better off aligning with conservative democrats.

That's basically how Obamacare was created. It was a compromise between Moderate or "conservative" as you put it, Democrats, and the rest of the party.

That number seems oddly high; most diehard Republican family friends I have from back in Texas seemed like they're sitting this election out because they equally hate Trump and Clinton and don't want to support one to spite the other.

Cerium

The whole world is laughing I know I am in The Netherlands. I just cant believe people in the USA cosider trump to be a good president. Just insane

Of all the countries to be laughing, the home of Geert Wilders shouldn't be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom