• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP Poll: Trump at 67% approval with Republicans

LakeEarth

Damn. That's insanely low. These stats are even worse from the same page.

chart2.png

Yeah. This is what I'm wondering about.

49% Republicans say he's honest. Fucker literally said it was sunny when it was raining. Like how much are you not paying attention?

Zophar

While this looks high, 67% among Republicans is disastrous. Usually voters support their president nearly unanimously.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
A good old war will bump that back up.

Unless there is a massive tragedy on US soil. No, he would have to sell it and he's failed at selling every fucking thing. ACA was supposed to be gone with ease. He did the exact opposite. His dumb ass mouth has got more people for it, then there was at the start of his term. It's amazing how him not saying anything is currently the best possible outcome for the party.

KHarvey16

He has stabilized the last 2 months. Nothing will take his approval down, except for maybe a war of aggression in the Middle East/Korea.

He hasn’t really stabilized. He goes up a little and down a lot pretty often. He’s currently trending down.

Rayis

Republicans are morally bankrupt people so I'm not surprised they're still supporting this Nazi nightmare of a president in such high percentages.

yrba1

Partisanship how does it work

It basically means that voters of the same party are willing to set aside their differences to fight against the common enemy, democrats for their case. Democrats need to understand that as well: keep the in-fighting in the primaries but come general elections, fight the opposition party.

Could this be explained as more sane Republican voters identifying as independent out of disgust, so now you only have the maniacs left?

kirblar

Could this be explained as more sane Republican voters identifying as independent out of disgust, so now you only have the maniacs left?
No, because that "Shy Tory" effect's been happening for decades. This is 67% among self-described GOPers. That's bad.
Yup. His response to Charlottesville stopped the slide.
What really stops his slides: Trump getting out of the news entirely. Was the case during the campaign, is the case now. His approvals start ticking up as long as his party can stop actually having to acknowledge him directly.

Ogodei

These are actually terrible numbers for him. If his hard support erodes enough among Republicans that's when you start seeing impeachment on the table as the GOP will see more of a liability in supporting him than not.

jstripes

Banned
67% is bad news for Trump. If it gets much lower he won't have much support from the GOP if Mueller brings anything serious against him.

I believe Nate Silver said as much in response to a previous poll. His approval within his party can stay high if people who hate him leave the party.

Gutek

No, because that "Shy Tory" effect's been happening for decades. This is 67% among self-described GOPers. That's bad.

What really stops his slides: Trump getting out of the news entirely. Was the case during the campaign, is the case now. His approvals start ticking up as long as his party can stop actually having to acknowledge him directly.

He was in the news 24/7 when Charlottesville happened. He ticked up right after.

Volimar

Still far too high. Surely even most republicans have been affected by Trump's disastrous policies in one way or another by now.

KoopaTheCasual

Holy shit 32% overall and 67% for republicans!? If you guys haven't been paying attention, this is a STEEP drop off, especially for Republicans which last i saw was mid/high 70s?

What else happened that shook his base so much? Was it the constant stupid remarks or did his attempt to rip healthcare out of their arms several times do the trick?

Bossking

Banned
Look at it this way: No Democrats and a little less than half of all Replubicans disapprove of Trump. 3/4 of America disapproves. We're getting somewhere.

26 percent of Americans believe Trump is a strong leader; 23% say he’s honest; 16% say he’s level-headed and 24 percent believe the country is moving in the right direction.

Trump playing limbo with his approval ratings.

5% Democrats is technically zero. I don't read too much into it. It's just statistics.

I could say I approve of Trump, if my expectations were the lowest of lows and only that, i.e. "well, he hasn't got us in a war yet, used nukes, repealed the ACA, or built a wall."

Cutebrute

I have to believe this is statistical noise or a strange, but irrelevant, blip on the radar. I believe the pundits and pollsters have been saying that Republicans would have to seriously consider censuring or impeaching Trump if he dropped far below 80 percent. Obviously a lot is happening right now, but we would have/will be hearing more panic from the GOP if this is very accurate. I want to see the news reactions to this first, but I think it's probably just an anomaly. For now, anyway.

How tf do 5% of Democrats approve of Trump?

Find out who those people are and switch their party because they’re obviously just trying to sabotage the party in local elections or something.

Top Bottom