• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP Poll: Trump at 67% approval with Republicans

Here's Gallup's. Theirs has a distinction between Republicans and Conservatives.

z8docaA.png

Joe

Gallup has been tracking Trump's approval among Republicans every week and they currently have it 80% and on a very slow downward trend from 89% on inauguration.

See here: Gallup | Presidential Approval Ratings -- Donald Trump

BUT there is a theory/study that less Republicans are identifying as 'Republican' during Trump's presidency which artificially inflates his GOP approval rating.

See here: NYT | Why Trump’s Base of Support May Be Smaller Than It Seems

If true, it's possible that the poll in the OP qualified for this potentiality.

---

Edit:
Here's Gallup's. Theirs has a distinction between Republicans and Conservatives.

z8docaA.png
That seems like a weird distinction.
Very interesting! This further points to the theory being at least somewhat true.

Joe

If Trump's approval among "conservatives" is truly in 60s then that is potentially a huge deal.

CazTGG

Well, the midterms are going to be interesting if they're this "low" this early into 45's 1st (and hopefully only) term.

BriGuy

Suddenly, the timing of this birth control bullshit bill makes a lot more sense. Watch him try to make Christianity "America's Official Religion" if his support among Republicans drops south of 60%.

SaviourMK2

Unless this garuntees Republicans dont show up at the polls or take a minute to consider a Democrat, numbers mean nothing.
It's only an assumption that they'll choose someone else come election/mid-terms

Suddenly, the timing of this birth control bullshit bill makes a lot more sense. Watch him try to make Christianity "America's Official Religion" if his support among Republicans drops south of 60%.

Yep it's a recurring theme. I think the pollsters give the administration a heads up on the numbers before they are published as a courtesy or to see if they can get a comment on it but instead they trigger the orange turd. It's happens time and time again after a few a das of head scratching decisions either a bad story comes out or it's poll time.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
That seems like a weird distinction.
Not really. Presumably those identifying as conservatives would be ashamed to self-identify as Republicans given the current state of the party, but still aren’t at a point where they want to switch to I or D. This would be those who are more like Reagan/HW Bush-styled Republicans. More concerned about fiscal policies vs. social/religious ones these days.

Elections are about getting people to turn out and Trump has never stopped campaigning.
Part of that is enthusiasm and these numbers don’t bode well for the GOP in that respect. The crowds at his rallies are definitely down from the campaign.

MightyKAC

Out of curiosity what were Bush's ratings with Republicans like?

G.W Bush's approval ratings are a bad example due to 9/11 throwing everything off. His dad H.W was pretty high all things considered until near the end.....

i-752f27de00047c09d4900898fb26407c-BushGraph.gif

Edit: Oops, didn't catch the bit about just Republicans.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Unless this garuntees Republicans dont show up at the polls or take a minute to consider a Democrat, numbers mean nothing.
It's only an assumption that they'll choose someone else come election/mid-terms

They don't need to choose someone else they just need to not show up.

Even like a 3% reduction in GOP turnout nationally will give the Dems the House.

Part of that is enthusiasm and these numbers don’t bode well for the GOP in that respect. The crowds at his rallies are definitely down from the campaign.
I hope so. But I also hope people don't take these polls to mean the GOP is losing and we repeat 2016.

Not really. Presumably those identifying as conservatives would be ashamed to self-identify as Republicans given the current state of the party, but still aren’t at a point where they want to switch to I or D. This would be those who are more like Reagan/HW Bush-styled Republicans. More concerned about fiscal policies vs. social/religious ones these days.

Yup my dads like this. He views himself as conservative and thinks the current republican party is crazy, but doesnt agree with democrats and is kinda lost. Me and my brother have been gradually getting him to the democrat side. He said he would vote for Biden since hes an "old style" democrat (whatever that means)

Omadahl

Banned
67% of Republicans should be considered enemies of the state. Anyone that back this asshole for any reason can fuck right off to hell in my opinion.

AYF 001

Gallup has been tracking Trump's approval among Republicans every week and they currently have it 80% and on a very slow downward trend from 89% on inauguration.

BUT there is a theory/study that less Republicans are identifying as 'Republican' during Trump's presidency which artificially inflates his GOP approval rating.

---

Edit:

Very interesting! This further points to the theory being at least somewhat true.
Perhaps a category of "people who voted for trump" would yield more consistent results over time. Unless people suddenly find themselves unable to admit that as well.

Loxley

Christ @ at that post-9/11 bump. Bush really had carte blanche to do whatever the fuck he wanted. Although at least by the time the Iraq invasion started Dems and Independents had caught on to the Bush administration's bullshit.

Christ @ at that post-9/11 bump. Bush really had carte blanche to do whatever the fuck he wanted. Although at least by the time the Iraq invasion started Dems and Independents had caught on to the Bush administration's bullshit.
9/11 broke this country, man.

Mortemis

Banned

---

Edit:

z8docaA.png

Okay. This AP poll seemed like BS but maybe this clears it up. Less people reporting as republican could inflate their approval ratings. Maybe it really is around 67%.

Republicans are morally bankrupt people so I'm not surprised they're still supporting this Nazi nightmare of a president in such high percentages.

Funny thing is that part of that 67% is poor themselves. Wait wait they call it being in an economic slump when it is them but if it's a minority they call them lazy. That's right.

This.

67% of Republicans should be considered enemies of the state. Anyone that back this asshole for any reason can fuck right off to hell in my opinion.

And this said it way better than what I originally was going to write.

Being someone leaning the other way, I often wondered how I would feel if hypothetical President Bernie Sanders (or hell, Obama)--who carried the same policies (which again, I support) as he did during his run--was foul-mouthed, verbally attacked a veteran, made fun of a disabled reporter, and had all the personal flaws of Trump...how the hell would I feel?? Someone in my party who I feel can run my agenda but was just an abrasive, irritable fool. How could I ultimately support that??

Basically, my conclusion to myself is, I hope I had enough integrity to drop him off the moment he started childishly slamming his political opponents or even asking for Obama's birth certificate, but a part of me wonders if I keep it to myself and stew privately or just be all Stockholm Syndrome and just go all in on supporting him, cause I want universal healthcare and banks regulated more.

It's no excuse for his approval numbers within his party, but I thought it was a good thought experiment and a potential explanation.

I just wondered how he could offend soooooo many, yet his numbers were still relatively high. Either all his supporters support all his fucked up views, or they just support what stuff he said he wants to implement, and I think it's the latter for a good chunk of his base.

Plus I like imagining (however difficult) a left-leaning Bernie who somehow had Trump's toxic personality. :p

cameron

S3It1NU.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/916620603741868032
WDmbJzf.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/916622087606980609

The article, WaPo: Trump supporters eager to ‘drain the swamp’ help fill Republican Party coffers
Fueled by a string of fundraising appeals from President Trump to his supporters, the Republican Party is on track to raise more money from small-dollar contributions than it has collected in more than a decade.

The influx of cash from Trump’s base is helping the GOP amass a major advantage as the parties prepare to battle for control of Congress in the 2018 elections, with the Republican National Committee pulling in nearly twice as much money overall as its Democratic counterpart this year.

The RNC’s success with small donors illustrates how the Republican Party, long a center of the political establishment, has managed to turn Trump’s anti-Washington message to its advantage.

And it shows how Trump’s base, angered by the sense that the president is being treated unfairly, is helping to redefine a party that has long cultivated rich contributors.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Guys, this is good news. He's not even 1 year in and it's below 70%. They're slowly getting sick of him. He will be extremely vulnerable once it goes below 60%.

Hindl

Yeah this number is ridiculously low, especially this early. People hardly ever abandon their party leader. It's basically admitting they were wrong

Joe

67% approval from Republicans with context:
  • Republicans control both the House and Senate
  • Republicans control the overwhelming majority of state legislatures
  • The stock market is booming
  • There is relative peace with no visible wars
  • It's only week 37 of a 208-week term (17% complete)

This 67% number is blowing me away. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic though. It would be nice to get a 3rd source or maybe some 538 insight.

If the number is correct and the trend continues you're going to hear serious impeachment chatter in 2018.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's crazy low for a Republican. They're a cult that will vote for or defend anything anyone with an R by their name does.

Top Bottom