• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

538: Clinton and Trump are losing a lot of young voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

Given that, policy wise, what Clinton is aiming for is aligned to what a majority of young people want I can't help but feel that 25 years of lies and slander about her has left an entire generation growing up thinking she's the wicked witch of the west or something. We saw a number of former Sanders supporters recanting after they actually met her and realised she wasn't Satan incarnate.

It doesn't matter. Things that move young voters are movements and causes. Voting just cuz some policy matches up is a weak and boring reason to vote

Voting to not support terrible candidates for example will get people to vote. Cuz that'll show em!

Drek

He's my option. Refuse to vote another Clinton into office.

What did the first one do that was bad enough to make this a valid view?

Hopefully Hillary is the last of the Dems/Rep presidents but that's going to take at least another corrupt economic recession (inevitable though).

Viva la Millennial party revolution, we're coming for ya Wal-Mart and Co.

1. What are you coming at "Wal-Mart and Co." for?

2. Can't really have much of a revolution if they don't show up to vote (hint: under 30 voter turnout was comparable to historic norms).

Might be extreme in US politics, but in Europe, Sanders/Warrens views are as normal as you get.

In Russia almost all politicians in both Europe and the U.S. would be viewed as extreme leftists. This is a fun game!

Bernie showed that there was a candidate with fire... Clinton really needs to do that.

Strong orator skills like Obama and Bernie, tied with a positive message of change really bring out the young vote.

I don't think this will hold.

I think also the people who are bemoaning this election's candidate quality while wishing Obama could have a third term need to come to terms with the fact that they care more about personality than policy. Clinton is basically an Obama clone in ideology other than being slightly more hawkish and probably much better at dealing with Congress. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets significantly more accomplished than Obama did in his second term, even with a split Congress. Except she's not charisma personified so she'll probably get far less credit for it.

Bernie showed that there was a candidate with fire... Clinton really needs to do that.

Strong orator skills like Obama and Bernie, tied with a positive message of change really bring out the young vote.
Putting Sanders' oratory skills on the same level as Obama's is really disingenuous.

Sanders has like one speech.

Crocodile

Man if only all our third party candidates weren't actively terrible

At the end of the day this is the truth. All the third party candidates/policies are those who couldn't make it in the other parties because they were too awful or fringe. This has been true my entire life and likely will continue to be true for the rest of my life. It's akin to saying "I don't want Coke OR Pepsi so I'm going to drink Oven Grease and I don't care what happens to anyone else!". Like, have fun with that? I'm sure many people think it makes them seem smart but it really doesn't.

Clinton got several million more votes than Bernie. Please stop acting like a guy who couldn't convince the majority of people within his own party to vote for him somehow inflamed the passions of everyone. He demonstrably did not, which is precisely why he is not the nominee.

And comparing his public speaking ability to Obama's is silly.

Tacitus_

Hillary stinks of

VAeA885.jpg

it's no wonder that she isn't exactly thrilling young voters by her presence

Biske

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...g-a-lot-of-young-voters/?ex_cid=2016-forecast

What does GAF think of the long term implications of this? Is it just a one time event for this election, or will we see an overall shift in US politics in the next 10-15 years when the boomers start dying off?

I dunno, in my experience as "young voter" us young voters seem to only give a shit during presidential elections, and then fuck right off in the years in between. So any party growth or change they could achieve is blown away in a mess of apathy. So I would guess things will go right back to normal. Though I wouldn't doubt a bit of slow change each election.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
At the end of the day this is the truth. All the third party candidates/policies are those who couldn't make it in the other parties because they were too awful or fringe. This has been true my entire life and likely will continue to be true for the rest of my life. It's akin to saying "I don't want Coke OR Pepsi so I'm going to drink Oven Grease and I don't care what happens to anyone else!". Like, have fun with that? I'm sure many people think it makes them seem smart but it really doesn't.

That's not surprising, though. Say you're a very bright, charismatic, inspired voter who wants more leftwing policies enacted. You have two choices about your political career: you can enter the Democrats, or enter the Greens. Suppose you enter the Greens. You absolutely barnstorm it, impress a lot of people; but inertia is inertia. You win 15% of the vote in your local area, mostly from the Democratic candidate, who then loses 40% to 45% to the Republican candidate. Suppose you hadn't run: well, the Democratic candidate would probably have got all of those votes and won, 55% to 45%. So you running as a third-party candidate left you with even less leftwing policies than you started with!

So the only people who end up in third parties are ideologues; those who are indifferent between better and worse outcomes that aren't their ideal outcome. This is obviously a detriment to forming a coherent political party, given that even within political parties you need compromise to be able to form a party platform as not everyone will always agree.

If America wants good third parties, it needs to change the constitution. But this will never ever happen, because to change the constitution, Republicans and Democrats have to vote for it, and they never will, because it would never benefit them to do so. So America is forever doomed to have terrible third parties, and the Republicans and Democrats will always hold a monopoly which means they'll never really be responsive.

There's a reason American advice to emergent democracies is "use PR, and whatever you do, don't go presidential".

Slayven

Third parties suck for a variety of reasons, but the one that grind my gears is they only show up every 4 years. Why pick a state get a few folks elected and do a good job, then say hey this is what Green and Libertainism is about.

Instead of every 4 years this

51126_screenshot20150410at121847pmf.jpg

Toxi

Banned
Young people don't vote and then get surprised when their interests are not represented by either of the main two parties.

Ironically, Clinton's platform is much more geared towards young voters than Obama's; when it fails to reel them in, you can bet we won't see the same concessions made in the future.

except for the antinuclear stuff and the Holocaust denying VP

The VP, himself, ain't a Holocaust denier. He's a wacky motherfucker who doesn't mind being around Holocaust deniers if it allows him to soapbox against Israel, but he ain't a Holocaust denier.

Third parties suck for a variety of reasons, but the one that grind my gears is they only show up every 4 years. Why pick a state get a few folks elected and do a good job, then say hey this is what Green and Libertainism is about.

Instead of every 4 years this

51126_screenshot20150410at121847pmf.jpg

Because without federal funding, which they have to do in a Presidential election, they don't have the money to do jack shit, and the two major parties will do everything in their power to castrate any third party that gets too much support.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Pushing TPP, bringing in corrupt corporately backed staffers, being a warhawk, and being a general neocon in democratic clothing will do that(Clinton). This is why Bernie wanted to primary her in the first place.

As for Trump, being a general buffoon bereft of common sense will drive people away by default.

I don't understand how the concept is so hard to gasp, we already knew this.

Hillary stinks of

VAeA885.jpg

it's no wonder that she isn't exactly thrilling young voters by her presence

The worst thing Hillary could do as far as young voters go is embrace those memes that some of her supporters started kicking around. That's incredibly unappealing and reeks of trying way too damn hard to be likable to that demographic.

Pushing TPP, bringing in corrupt corporately backed staffers, being a warhawk, and being a general neocon in democratic clothing will do that(Clinton). This is why Bernie wanted to primary her in the first place.

As for Trump, being a general buffoon bereft of common sense will drive people away by default.

You forgot pro-Fracking, Pro Private Prisons.

Steel

Banned
So long as third parties try to get the presidency before they have seats in congress, they will be irrelevant. Not that I'd want the green or libertarian party as alternative parties(I do want alternative parties, though).

In either case, young voters generally don't turn out in large numbers, so this isn't a big deal.

You've been called out so many times for attempting (and failing) to paint Hillary Clinton as a neoconservative. It's a claim that is not substantiated in any way by her history, her political stances, her voting record or, you know, reality.

But yet here we are again. It's as if you believe repeating a thing ad nauseam makes it true. (It doesn't)

Amen

Also lol at the person who said Hillary is a neocon.
It's Inuhanyou.

Pushing TPP, bringing in corrupt corporately backed staffers, being a warhawk, and being a general neocon in democratic clothing will do that(Obama). This is why Bernie wanted to primary him in the first place.

As for Romney, being a general buffoon bereft of common sense will drive people away by default.

Change a few words and I'm pretty sure this is what you were saying in 2012.

Romney just playing his cards right for a future run

Romney's done and he knows it. All that matters in the end is that he didn't support Trump and no one broke ranks to help him create a new party.

You've been called out so many times for attempting (and failing) to paint Hillary Clinton as a neoconservative. It's a claim that is not substantiated in any way by her history, her political stances, her voting record or, you know, reality.

But yet here we are again. It's as if you believe repeating a thing ad nauseam makes it true. (It doesn't)

It's Inuhanyou.

The alt-left usually do not let facts get in the way of their misinformation

Clinton got several million more votes than Bernie. Please stop acting like a guy who couldn't convince the majority of people within his own party to vote for him somehow inflamed the passions of everyone. He demonstrably did not, which is precisely why he is not the nominee.

And comparing his public speaking ability to Obama's is silly.

Well okay, the content and abilities obviously aren't the same but there's something in common with how Bernie was able to bring some of the young vote to his side (since we're only talking about the young vote) and he ignited something to produce those diehard Bernie supporters.

The worst thing Hillary could do as far as young voters go is embrace those memes that some of her supporters started kicking around. That's incredibly unappealing and reeks of trying way too damn hard to be likable to that demographic.

Yes! When I saw her do the "dab" because it was the "cool" thing at the time, it felt desperate to fit in with the younger crowds. Bernie was just Bernie and cared for young people.

trixx

If I was american voter I probably would vote for Hillary not because I like her but just out of necessity or whatever. Don't like her husbands policies at all and she seems to consistently change positions on various topics

Maledict

Yes! When I saw her do the "dab" because it was the "cool" thing at the time, it felt desperate to fit in with the younger crowds. Bernie was just Bernie and cared for young people.

Clinton has spent her life making things better for children. The idea that somehow Bernie is the one who cares for young people doesn't match up to historical fact.

I admire my fellow millennial's push for a viable third part option. Especially in elections like this where (IMO) neither candidate is an A+. I just wish that the millennial vote cared about issues other than """the establishment""" and weed.

Maledict

I admire my fellow millennial's push for a viable third part option. Especially in elections like this where (IMO) neither candidate is an A+. I just wish that the millennial vote cared about issues other than """the establishment""" and weed.

I wish my fellow Millenials would realise that you don't get a third party system by voting in presidential elections. It's not how they work. If you want a third party candidate you have to fundamentally change the way the USA runs its elections, which means getting involved in party politics and changing the agenda of the parties.

Voting third party in a presidential election accomplishes precisely nothing and will never, ever result in a third choice. It can't, by definition - if a third party arise it would take the place of one of the current two parties. The only way to have more than a choice of two at the top of the ticket is to get involved at every level of politics and build change from the ground up.

But we never seem to want to actually do the work, instead it's a ton of complaining about turd sandwiches and a douche every four years and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom