• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 figures considered low income for family of 4 in some Bay Area counties [ABC7]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
kjj2omvl.jpg

ABC7 <--- Video

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Bay Area is so expensive, even some six-figure salaries are now considered low income.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development just released its 2017 income limits summary. That's the baseline used to determine who can qualify for affordable and subsidized housing programs.

For a family of four in San Francisco and San Mateo Counties, $105,000 a year is now considered low income.

It's $84,000 in Santa Clara County and in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties, $80,000 is the low-income threshold for a family of four.

Welp at least i know I'm basically homeless I guess according to this.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What about people far below that point (like you know the average household), are they considered in poverty then?

Low income in the Bay Area is actually East Oakland, where 60 teenagers will flash rob a train. I really don't like this trend of people wringing their hands about the poor middle class in the Bay Area. There are actual fucking poor people there. Parts of Oakland look like bombed out Baghdad. We should be rubbing silicon valley's face in the third world hellhole they live next to.

What about people far below that point (like you know the average household), are they considered in poverty then?

I don't think its that sinister. 100k is on the lower end of the spectrum for the income distribution. All this means is that there are a shit ton of upper class people (by national standards) there and that their housing market is totally and utterly fucked.

Trevelyan

Banned
So happy my wife and I moved away. That said, we still work at our jobs, just from home, and pay about 1/6 of the rent(3k to $500). Eat it Silicon Valley, and your absurd, sickening standard for living.

Salaries are supporting it though.

They're really not, though. Sure, you can make enough to have a place(probably with roommates), eat out, maybe a do a few side activities, but saving money? Good luck with that.

Yoda

Do cities usually implode in situations like this or what? What's the ultimate outcome?

Here, (Manhattan) it's pretty similar, eventually people who aren't in a career with the chance of a higher salary (over the seemingly high salary they're already making) move elsewhere.

Yes, this housing market is obviously sustainable, the housing bubble could never burst again!

Nationally there is no housing bubble. Prices are stable and not reliant on flipping properties to people with subprime loans.

The bay area specifically has an issue where there is a lot of high paid industry concentrated in the area that has distorted housing prices. New York and DC have the same issue, with Finance and Government Contracting.

Those two places remain expensive but not as ludicrous as the bay area because unlike San Francisco NY and DC have more room to expand, and aren't completely opposed to building new multifamily high rise housing when necessary.

Pagusas

Elden Member
To be honest though 100k for a family of 4 isnt a lot though, most certainly low middle class in most metro areas.

Even 100k for a family of 2 is still just low/mid middle class lifestyle.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I don't think its that sinister. 100k is on the lower end of the spectrum for the income distribution. All this means is that there are a shit ton of upper class people (by national standards) there and that their housing market is totally and utterly fucked.
I knew the housing market was messed up in the Bay Area, but never realised that it was this bad.

To be honest though 100k for a family of 4 isnt a lot though, most certainly low middle class in most metro areas.

What? That's completely false. 100k household income is well above the median in just about every metro area.

Edit: not "just about". It's higher than median household income in all areas. DC is the most expensive metro at 93K. New York is only 68k.

Every time we have one of these threads, I always ask what about the service people. How long can they afford to stay in the area or even commute?

There are, thankfully, still some rent controlled options in the city. Unfortunately the Ellis Act is destroying that as well.

100 grand divided on a family of four is indeed not that much.

Add rent, school expenses, groceries etc and you're not left with much.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Surprised telecommuting has not had a positive effect on the market
You'd think with the tech industry you could live anywhere in the world and be a valuable asset to a company

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Here, (Manhattan) it's pretty similar, eventually people who aren't in a career with the chance of a higher salary (over the seemingly high salary they're already making) move elsewhere.

this.

I don't understand it. You can get nice, high paying jobs in pretty much any sector in lots of places other than San Fran. Hell even Google, MS and a bunch of other companies have offices all over the world. There's 3 Microsoft office locations here in Houston alone.

tokkun

What? That's completely false. 100k household income is well above the median in just about every metro area.

Edit: not "just about". It's higher than median household income in all areas. DC is the most expensive metro at 93K. New York is only 68k.

Are you looking at data for all household incomes, or specifically for families of 4?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Every time we have one of these threads, I always ask what about the service people. How long can they afford to stay in the area or even commute?
They can't on both ends. My girlfriend works in the service industry in back of house cooking/management roles for five years now. It's a struggle to find people that can take these jobs both logistically (the commute to and from a $15 an hour job ain't worth it) or because they believe the work is beneath them.

mavo

Banned
I mean if you asked the average american the "low income" would probably be really high for some people around the world.

Drey1082

Salaries are supporting it though.

Until they don't...

These big companies need talent to succeed. Talent will eventually be driven away if housing prices start to outpace salaries (already starting). Salaries can only get so high before companies realize a change needs to be made.

While San Francisco is an extreme example, housing prices across the United States are (once again) way over inflated.

The problem is that if there is any sort of pullback, whether in income, job growth, companies moving for tax or regulation reasons, inflation, etc. There would be a major downturn, with cities being hurt the hardest.

Big difference between "isn't a lot" and now you qualify for subsidized housing.

Are you looking at data for all household incomes, or specifically for families of 4?

Just quick Google searching for median household income by metro statistical area. No need to specify whether they're families of four or fifteen, when we're just looking to establish income for an area. Half of households will be above that point, half below, which gives us a good idea of where middle class would be.

100K for a family of 4 let alone 2 is well above the median literally everywhere. In no way is that income "lower middle class in most metro areas" without a highly unusual number of kids or elderly parents.

Yeah, I wonder about this too. This, teachers, construction workers, firefighters, etc. In California the median teacher salary for a mid-sized school is $68,000. Nothing to scoff at anywhere else in the country, but $68,000 does not go very far in San Francisco, and it's a tough ask for a teacher to have to commute 1+ hours every day to get to their school.

Like, I'm sure your average coffee shop, restaurant, hotel, etc., pays higher salaries in San Fran than it does elsewhere, but it still can't be appreciably more, and I can't imagine commuting hours to a low paying service job (though I'm sure many do)

Thank you for your irrelavant ~8 year old shitpost that will derail the thread into ~8 year old Tax Policy Center/WSJ article.

Zoe

Oh, the increase for the SF area was actually capped. The 4-person family "low" income amount was calculated at $140,700, but you can only have a 7% YOY increase. Last year's limit was $98,500.

Zoe

Thanks for this! If I read it right, it's $69,700 for the Atlanta metro area. This is for a family of how many, though?

They appear to use 4 as the baseline for the other income levels.

Edit: though looking into it more closely, they have a formula to estimate the limits per household size based on the ACS family median income (> 1 related persons in a household).

I mean if you asked the average american the "low income" would probably be really high for some people around the world.

Ask the average American what low income is and it would be really high compared to how AMERICANS actually live. Hell, it just happened in this thread.

TV has given people a really unrealistic idea of how wealthy the US actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom