• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 months into the year. What's your GOTY so far?

Vitor711

Dark Souls 2. That DLC is just:

post-35708-James-Franco-So-Good-gif-tumbl-tcDE.gif

I haven't played many games this year that came out this year yet, but Transistor was the best one by far. South Park is next followed by Shovel Knight.

From the games that didn't come out this year but I played for the first time, Dark Souls barely edges out Shadow of the Colossus. Both are in my top 10 of all time now.

Mugatu

So far I think Destiny.

I know it's not perfect but it's the game I've enjoyed the most this year so far. Plenty of other contenders have been a bit disappointing for me.

Wolfenstein. Who would have thought using old-school tropes like picking up health packs and a total lack of multiplayer would make such a refreshing FPS? Was expecting it to be usurped by Destiny, but nope.

I also enjoyed Infamous SS, although it loses points for being less fun than Infamous 2 (although it was definitely better looking).

Also loved Diablo 3 UEE until I hit level 70 - the repetition of loot games always grinds me down but it's fun while it lasts.

South Park feels like it happened two years ago, but that's probably my number 2 goty so far. That said, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's not a fan of the show.

Special mention for P.T - I never finished it, but it scared the shit out of me and was an example of marketing done right.

Danganronpa 2 has taken the top spot, which is great since that game is legitimately good enough that I could happily call it GOTY material on it's own merits rather than simply not having played anything else decent this year.

Oooh, tough call. From this year, I would have a hard time choosing between Shovel Knight and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

From games that were released earlier, but I first played this year, I would have to say Fire Emblem: Awakening or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

Although, I will say, I just began Super Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus: Uprising, and both are strong contenders for my personal GOTY (though they were not released in 2014).

bigkrev

I'm torn between Threes, Picross E4, and Danganronpa right now; with Danganronpa behind the other 2 games by a little bit. I'd probably say Picross E4 if I had to make my list right now

Omni

I've only bought three games that were released this year. They were: Destiny, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z and Metro Redux

Destiny severely disappointed and Metro doesn't seem anything beyond average. So I guess that leaves Battle of Z which was actually pretty damn fun :lol :lol

antitrop

If we're gonna count Remasters and ports, then Resident Evil 4 HD on PC is still better than almost every game ever made up to 2014, including The Last of Us.

The worst thing I can say about the game, not just the port, is that the Rifle reload animations are still in 30fps. Nearly perfect game made better.

Clockwork5

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Or

Mario Kart 8

(Would be TLOU:R as it was my first playthrough, but I don't think that counts.)

Almost forgot South Park. It deserves an honerable mention.

Clockwork5

Oooh, tough call. From this year, I would have a hard time choosing between Shovel Knight and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze.

From games that were released earlier, but I first played this year, I would have to say Fire Emblem: Awakening or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

Although, I will say, I just began Super Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus: Uprising, and both are strong contenders for my personal GOTY (though they were not released in 2014).

You have played some quality games this year :)

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Probably Destiny, with Mario Kart 8, Wolfenstein and Tropical Freeze in the running.

Wish I could say Dark Souls II, but that game has been a disappointment for me.

Late Flag

Seriously, my GOTY list so far is:

1. TLOU
2. Diablo 3
3. Infamous: SS

The fact that the top two games on my list are remasters says a lot about what kind of year it's been.

Damn, I need to play more games that came out this year, but probably won't until next year at the earliest.

1. Diablo 3 (PS4)
2. P.T.
3. Dark Souls 2
4. Destiny Alpha

Mdk7

Titanfall, with Wolfenstein as surprise of the year and The Banner Saga as best breakthrough.
Valiant Hearts deserves a mention as well, somehow. :p

My pick thus far is between Mario Kart 8 and Shovel Knight.

Mario Kart 8 is easily the most played game in my house, especially when friends are hangin' out. A Mario Kart 8 play session actually resulted in one friend purchasing a Wii U w/ Mario Kart 8 the next day. There hasn't been a single person that wasn't impressed by this game.

Shovel Knight is just a fantastic game. Its old school aesthetics shine through in gameplay, and audio/visual design. The game was such a throwback to the NES era, with its tough platforming, and its beautiful chip-tune soundtrack. The 3D was superb, adding depth to the wonderful art design (love The Lich Yard which reminded me of Super Ghouls n'Ghosts).

Dolor

Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II

Followed by Age of Wonders 3, Total War: Rome 2 (played a bunch this year), Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (played a bunch this year) and Divinity: OS.

I loved Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall. I bought it in a sale because I recognized it as that Kickstarter game. "I wonder how that turned out." I purchased Shadowrun Returns and its DLC campaign. Dead Man's Switch (the first campaign) was decent. I can see why some would be disappointed a little by this, I thought. Then I fired up Dragonfall. It was clear it was head and shoulders above the original in the first hour.

Dragonfall was fantastic. It had a great story. Not a good-for-a-videogame story, but a good story on its own. Having a permanent squad really added to the story value. Each teammate had an interesting back story and personality. Delving into their lives between missions, Mass Effect style, had you invested in your team's success. The gameplay is solid too. It lacks the graphical bells and whistles but has a nice core design in the style of XCOM. The difficulty was comfortable on hard. The level design was much better too; I don't recall a stinker. More missions with exploration were in the expansion too, which was great. I enjoyed the game a lot.

It has shortcomings such as its poor interface, but overall it was a great ride. I was hooked for a week at least, with multiple long play sessions. Looking forward to playing the Director's Cut, which I'm sure will be my new GOTY, if it's eligible.

If Dragonfall doesn't count (big expansions usually are eligible, right? I'm fine.), then I guess... Titanfall, Murdered Soul Suspect or Diablo 3:UEE would be the top contenders.

I'm playing through Wolfenstein right now and it's a fucking blast. I don't know if it's GOTY material but in terms of sheer enjoyment it's top of my list.

After playing a few more games:

1. Wolfenstein - It completely rekindled my interest in single-player FPSes. Incredible game.

2. Mario Kart 8 - Always fun. Never gets old. Gorgeous to look at also.

3. South Park: Stick of Truth - Fun, hilarious, gross, and addictive. But a tad too easy.

4. Donkey Kong: TF - Great platforming, brutal difficulty spike, and an excellent soundtrack

5. Drakengard 3 - Good voice acting, fun gameplay, horrible frame rate, decent story

6. Destiny - So addictive, but solo mode feels repetitive and empty.

7. Madden 15 - Minor gameplay improvements, new d-line controls suck ass. Still too similar to previous years.

Mario Kart 8

My only experience with next gen so far has been with the Wii U. Mario Kart 8 has been fantastic. I have yet to finish Tropical Freeze, but it too has been an enjoyable experience overall.

SOME-MIST

it's great to see people posting broken age pt 1 because that was my runner up, I loved it, and you really don't hear many positive things about it with all the twitter hate and budget discussions drowning out the fans.

blurrygil

Right now I'd say my nominees are (in no order):

• Mario Kart 8
  • Shovel Knight
  • Destiny

FIFA15 and Forza Horizon 2 have a chance to sneak in if they're as good as the claims are. Super Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U has a really good chance too, later this year.

Eldritch

Neo Member
Divinity: Original Sin (made in my home town no less)

This could change when I get to play Wasteland 2 or the new Borderlands though.

Top Bottom