• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 months into the year. What's your GOTY so far?

Osahi

Think I had the most bloody fun with Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New 'N Tasty

Dad nostalgia!

From the big ones, probably Wolfenstein at the moment. Or TLOU, but that was more GOTY 2013. Guess it'll end up being Forza Horizon 2, Alien: Isolation or Assassin's Creed Unity.

antitrop

Think I had the most bloody fun with Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New 'N Tasty

Dad nostalgia!

From the big ones, probably Wolfenstein at the moment. Or TLOU, but that was more GOTY 2013. Guess it'll end up being Forza Horizon 2, Alien: Isolation or Assassin's Creed Unity.

Alien doesn't strike me as having GOTY potential, but we'll see shortly.

Played only one game from 2014 South Park Stick of Truth, but we get Dragon Age and Hotline Miami 2 this year also, right?

Dragon Age is definitely a dark horse this year. After DA2 I think people's expectations are lower than usual, yet if they can deliver everything they're promising... could be interesting.

Asbear

Banned
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.

Perhaps it will be Dragon Age Inquisition at the end of the year, and that's a very vague "Maybe..." because... well, Bioware has not been on top of the world for almost 5 years now. I say that as someone who got bored out of his mind with DA2 and absolutely hated Mass Effect 3. ME2 was okay though but I'm counting that with it because there's a consensus amongst the narrative experts that it has a pretty poor plot.

If the events and DLC keeps Destiny alive for at least one or two months for me, then it is a contender as well. I was having fun until today. I just finished after having played it non-stop since 12pm GMT+1, and I've just been doing endgame stuff since last week. Crucible is a blast and grinding for exotic is addicting, but I only know whether the game is a complete disappointment when I feel there is no more to see, and so far I feel like I'm getting there, but there's just a lot of grinding and farming I need to do before i can find out what I ultimately think.

Right now probably Divinity: Original Sin or The Banner Saga.

I expect Dragon Age to take the top spot with me though. I'm ridiculously excited for that game. Shadow of Mordor could also take it too though.

AlpacaMyBags

Neo Member
So far:

1. Infamous: Second Son - The first game I beat on PS4. I really like the tech, the setting was really cool, and overall the powers made the game really fun to play. I especially liked using the light powers to speed run across the city. Such a cool feeling.

2. Dark Souls 2: While not as good as Dark Souls in my opinion, it still was a joy to play. Really great atmosphere, such variety in area design, and great gameplay sucked me in. Unfortunately, some poor design decisions in regards to how the game was made "harder" puts it at the bottom of the list for my "Souls" games by rank, but it's still a great game.

3. Atelier Escha and Logy - I was super surprised by this game. I tried playing Atelier Totori and Atelier Meruru some time ago, and I never made it past a few hours with either. They were way too "anime" for me, and not in a good way. I figured I would give the series one more chance as this one seemed to have a different art direction than other games in the series, and I fell in love with it once I started playing. The world and art direction of this game are so great, and the way the world is built really sucked me in. Also, I really enjoyed the "Grandia-lite" style combat system and the alchemy mechanics. Lastly, the music is seriously amazing in this game. It has to be one of my favorite OSTs from this year.

4. Wolfenstein: The New Order - The first FPS to really capture me in a long time. The "what if the Nazis won" scenario was really cool and they did a good job executing it. The gameplay and gun mechanics are what made it for me though. The way the game flows reminds me of an older FPS, where there is more focus on the design of the level itself instead of just focusing on "setpiece" moments. Also, the gunplay is super fun and satisfying in a way that I haven't experienced in awhile.

5. D4 - This game, man. It just came out, but I know this is one of my favorite games from this year. The characters are super interesting, and there's more to them that just their surface personalities. The setting and general plot kept me intrigued throughout my playing and just the detail put into all aspects really made it for me.

Games I'm interested in for the rest of 2014 that could be added to the GOTY list include Forza Horizon 2, Driveclub, The Evil Within, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Hotline Miami 2.

All these Wolfenstein nods make me want to hurry up and play my copy (Addicted to D3, and then I've got Destiny to start....).

Hmmmm, I'd definitely recommend putting Destiny on ice. Then again it might be worth playing Destiny while it is still remotely relevant.

Damn I need to play Wolfenstein again.

Banworthy

Banned
It's been a year of underwhelming games. Plus, I love cinematic games in the vein of Uncharted. Not a whole lot of them this year. So Edge of Tomorrow takes the cake.

psn

The Last Of Us Remastered :D

Infamous SS was quite good, haven't played much destiny yet, I'm still a bit concerned about PCars.

Also Wolfenstein is really awesome. Would be my GOTY after TLOU:R.

Ridesh

Banned
Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney.

Perhaps it will be Dragon Age Inquisition at the end of the year, and that's a very vague "Maybe..." because... well, Bioware has not been on top of the world for almost 5 years now. I say that as someone who got bored out of his mind with DA2 and absolutely hated Mass Effect 3. ME2 was okay though but I'm counting that with it because there's a consensus amongst the narrative experts that it has a pretty poor plot.

If the events and DLC keeps Destiny alive for at least one or two months for me, then it is a contender as well. I was having fun until today. I just finished after having played it non-stop since 12pm GMT+1, and I've just been doing endgame stuff since last week. Crucible is a blast and grinding for exotic is addicting, but I only know whether the game is a complete disappointment when I feel there is no more to see, and so far I feel like I'm getting there, but there's just a lot of grinding and farming I need to do before i can find out what I ultimately think.

But ME2 won almost all the best story/narrative awards back in 2010, including the GDC, AIAS [also GOTY] and BAFTA [also GOTY], also GAF GOTY.

AniHawk

But ME2 won practically all the best story/narrative awards back in 2010, including the GDC, AIAS [also GOTY] and BAFTA [also GOTY].

that was the gas leak year.

super mario galaxy 2
bayonetta
sin & punishment: star successor
vanquish
fallout: new vegas

game of the year: mass effect 2

Everdred

Destiny x100. I can't get enough of it. Over 100 hours in. A level 25 and 27. I've never farmed or grinded and I'm confused at people that say there is lack of content. (Agree that story executed terribly)

Crucible is a blast, I've maxed every week. Bounties are fun to work on, even PVE. The core gunplay is Bungie at their best, enemy AI is fun and better at higher difficulties.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Destiny, can't stop playing it.

Bungie has nailed that 30 seconds of fun over and over again in this one.

Don't listen to the reviews, play it for yourself!

RedWolf

Neo Member
Probably inFamous: Second Son. If we are including remasters then Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition and The Last of Us: Remastered.

mrlion

What's my Goatee?

Hmmm I hate doing this but The Last of Us Remastered has to clean up this year too. If not then probably Divinity: Original Sin which has fantastic storyline and good gameplay.

Megatron

What's my Goatee?

Hmmm I hate doing this but The Last of Us Remastered has to clean up this year too. If not then probably Divinity: Original Sin which has fantastic storyline and good gameplay.

It won't be eligible, will it? It doesn't have any new content.

Sanctuary

Dark Souls 2 unfortunately. Although I've only purchased these so far:

South Park
Lords of Shadow 2
Dark Souls 2
Shadowrun
Reaper of Souls
Wasteland 2

I'm not sure Dark Souls 2 will end up as my GOTY when The Evil Within, Dragon Age: Inquisition and even Lords of the Fallen (Dark Souls lite) are still coming.

JaCy

Definitely Donkey Kong Returns: Tropical Freeze, probably the best platformer in years without "Mario" in the name.

AniHawk

You salty cause it won GOTY over SMG2 :p

i'm salty because it won goty over any of those.

the mass effect 2 spoiler thread wasn't about how awesome the game was (like the last of us spoiler thread or the danganronpa one), it was about how fucking hilarious that nothing made sense.

ocean

Banned
Technically The Last of Us but I guess it doesn't count.

I'll go with Destiny because it's the most fun I've had with a shooter in years.

Percy

Banned
Destiny or MK8 so far... it hasn't been an especially great year though to be fair.

Also, rolling my eyes big time at people listing games that aren't even out yet.

Ont

After sinking endless hours into Destiny I don't think it will be my game of the year.

Dark Souls 2 lost its grib on me.

Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls was good fun, but problem with that game and Destiny is that it becomes a massive grind.

I haven't played Wolfenstein yet.

Right now I would say Wasteland 2.

Maybe next month I want to say Civilization Beyond Earth.

Ridesh

Banned
i'm salty because it won goty over any of those.

the mass effect 2 spoiler thread wasn't about how awesome the game was (like the last of us spoiler thread or the danganronpa one), it was about how fucking hilarious that nothing made sense.

And still won despite having 11 months after release to cool down the hype and have that kind of discussion and it wasn't even close to being the most popular/best selling game of that year.

Mass Effect 2 is that good :p

AniHawk

it's been 4 years. i wonder what a re-vote on 2010 would yield. i bet red dead redemption would get the top spot. mass effect 2 might be tainted by mass effect 3. at least, it should be.

imBask

Banned
Dark souls 2
Mario Kart 8
Shovel Knight

Destiny is alright
South Park was good too
Walking Dead season 2 started strong, ended poorly

antitrop

it's been 4 years. i wonder what a re-vote on 2010 would yield. i bet red dead redemption would get the top spot. mass effect 2 might be tainted by mass effect 3. at least, it should be.

Nail on the head. Red Dead Redemption was the clear GOTY 2010. It always was. I'm fucking glad I wasn't posting on GAF back then, because I would have been pissed to see Mass Effect 2 beat it.

Probably Danganronpa 1 or 2 (PSV), I dont see how i can not recognize a game that singlehandedly took out Phoenix Wright as my favorite VN series (in surprisingly effortless fashion as well, considering that Layton X Wright was a huge letdown).

Played Diablo 3 UEE (PS4) for longer and enjoyed it immensely, but idk if i can call an expansion pack a "GotY".

Bravely Default (3DS) follows as a distant third - i enjoyed the first 2/3 of the game more than any JRPG in years, but it just faded so hard in the last couple chapters.

Brownie points to TLOU Remastered - it was good, but being essentially the same game as the old one, albeit with visual upgrades, means i cant consider it.

Remains to be seen if Smash, Far Cry 4 or Evil Within can take out the DR1/2 stranglehold... I have a hunch that Evil Within is the dark horse here, if it turns out to be Resident Evil 4 reborn its not going to be close.

antitrop

Remains to be seen if Smash, Far Cry 4 or Evil Within can take out the DR1/2 stranglehold... I have a hunch that Evil Within is the dark horse here, if it turns out to be Resident Evil 4 reborn its not going to be close.

I'm in for Far Cry 4, just because Troy Baker's performance looks unmissable (as usual), but if the gameplay is just Far Cry 3+ it won't even be close to a contender in my eyes. I'm so sick of the Ubiworld.

My anticipation for The Evil Within speaks for itself.

I'm in for Far Cry 4, just because Troy Baker's performance looks unmissable (as usual), but if the gameplay is just Far Cry 3+ it won't even be close to a contender in my eyes. I'm so sick of the Ubiworld.

My anticipation for The Evil Within speaks for itself.

Personally, Im not sick of the Far Cry open world yet - moar Far Cry 3 with PS4 graphics and a stable framerate will be up enough for me. Agreed though that it probably doesnt merit a GotY.

Re: TEW - In Mikami We Trust. Resident Evil 4, God Hand, Vanquish... Lets see what he does when he's given free reign to just do whatever.

antitrop

Personally, Im not sick of the Far Cry open world yet - moar Far Cry 3 with PS4 graphics and a stable framerate will be up enough for me. Agreed though that it probably doesnt merit a GotY.

Re: TEW - In Mikami We Trust. Resident Evil 4, God Hand, Vanquish... Lets see what he does when he's given free reign to just do whatever.

I understand where you're coming from, I played Far Cry 3 nearly maxed out at 60fps on PC, so I'm not at all whatsoever looking forward to the "next-gen" upgrade out of FC4 the same way that people who played FC3 on last-gen consoles are.

I absolutely see how that can be a selling point to the poor souls that had to experience the technical disaster that was FC3 on last-gen consoles.

Top Bottom