• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8th Gen launches... were pretty bad.

Agree
To be honest....ps4 didnt have any games for the first 2 years that you would go out of your way to buy the console for....unless indies and remasters were your thing

The only thing that really saved it was that ms fucked up in a spectacular way with an underpowered console ...unattractive price and some generic sequels...oh and their drm policies...kinnect...quite a few stinkers in there

Both consoles as time has gone on have corrected their mistakes but one thing that has not changed....ps4 is one of the worst made consoles from a build perspective...shoddy ds4 quality and shitty case design on new and old models...ps3 actually got silent as their slim models landed but ps4 just gets louder and more unattractive....love my pro console i call it Aretha franklin (before she lost weight)

Loud...black and has alot of hits

Also.....honerable mention the worst gen was around the launch of the saturn...3do....its wasnt quiet ps1 time yet but those consoles were stuck in between the godly genisis/snes era and the birth of the ps1...very overpriced and a very limited library.

womfalcs3

Banned
Consoles NEVER launch well. N64 launched with 1 fucking game worth owning. The PS2 is the last console to launch with even a decent lineup.

The PS3 had one mediocre game (it was mediocre, although enjoyable) worth owning and an HTML page for the PS Store for almost a year after launch.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is by far the best game on either console's launch lineup. Battlefield 4 was great, Ryse and Injustice were good while Knack was above average. Overall, I would say good but not great.

xviper

the first year was awful for PS4, but was amazing for Xbox one

PS4's first year had flops like killzone, Infamous, Drive club and Knack

where Xbox one's first year had Forza 5( i know it's not as good as the rest but still good) Dead rising 3, Titanfall, Sunset overdrive, Forza horizon 2, D4 and Halo MCC( not just a remaster, 5 MP games including 4 SP games)

in 2015 and 2016, the two consoles were kinda equal, but in 2017 PS4 ate the Xbox one alive

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The 8th gen launch actually got me to buy a Killzone and Assassin's Creed game.... so yeah I'd call it an atrocity.

brian577

Banned

where Xbox one's first year had Forza 5( i know it's not as good as the rest but still good) Dead rising 3, Titanfall, Sunset overdrive, Forza horizon 2, D4 and Halo MCC( not just a remaster, 5 MP games including 4 SP games)

in 2015 and 2016, the two consoles were kinda equal, but in 2017 PS4 ate the Xbox one alive

Beg pardon?

I had a good time with the Xbox One launch titles. The PS4 however barely had anything even when I eventually got one a year later.
The tables have turned since then obviously.

Caayn

Forza Motorsport 5 (which was pretty barebones)
It certainly didn't help that it launched in the same window as GT6. When you compare it to GTS in terms of content then FM5 wasn't that bad. It launched a few years earlier as a launch title while having similar amounts of content with a much shorter dev cycle.

Last 2 gens I've bought almost every console at launch.

360 is the the only launch/ window where I've felt satisfied. PGR3 hooked me in its style of racing, Condemned was an awesome horror melee beat em up, Kameo was a pretty great platformer too. They all held me over until Dead Rising and Oblivion in the launch window. It felt like a quality start for me and then the games just kept coming and all the exclusives.
Xbox Live blew up too and announced arcade.

So good.

Every other platform I got at launch had maybe 1 game I liked, long waits for anything else, features missing, barebones online. It's been shit ever since honestly.

I'm not going to try and argue the WiiU launch was red hot lol but at least personally, I did enjoy it. If you list everything, there's tons of ports but if I just consider what I bought: Nintendoland & NSMBU were great first party (I would have taken a Nintendoland 2 over 1-2 switch any day), Sonic Racing was a good kart racer, & Skylanders Giants ended up being one of the very first games my kid and & I played through together. Not bad for day 1 honestly.

Dreamcast launch is GOAT

Ps2 was pretty good too with SSX, ridge racer 5 and madden 2001.

But yes recent hardware launches have been terrible either for lack of games or hardware related issues.

Dreamcast = Awesome foreplay but.........premature ejaculation

PS2 = Lacklustre foreplay but........GODDAMNIT, THAT CLIMAX AND ORGASM OF A LIFETIME!!!

Dreamcast = Awesome foreplay but.........premature ejaculation

PS2 = Lacklustre foreplay but........GODDAMNIT, THAT CLIMAX AND ORGASM OF A LIFETIME!!!

tenor.gif

Black Flag
Killzone
Battlefield
COD
Were enough to do me for a while

PS3 launch was more of a challenge, basically played only Resistance 1 till MotorStorm the following Spring. Finally games started dripping in over the summer with Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 being my 2nd big PS3 game.

That 2nd half(07) was crazy though
Rainbow 6 Vegas - end of June
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - August
Warhawk - end of August
Heavenly Sword - September
Call of Duty 4 - early November
Uncharted 1 - mid November
Assassin's Creed 1 - mid November

-hadouken

Graphical style fatigue.

If it had a Galaxy theme, or maybe even Sunshine theme... The Mario World theme was just too vanilla on the surface.
I was fine with the upscaled, reused graphics for NSMBU. It was that same fookin' music that killed it for me. Bah bah.

I'm not going to try and argue the WiiU launch was red hot lol but at least personally, I did enjoy it. If you list everything, there's tons of ports but if I just consider what I bought: Nintendoland & NSMBU were great first party (I would have taken a Nintendoland 2 over 1-2 switch any day), Sonic Racing was a good kart racer, & Skylanders Giants ended up being one of the very first games my kid and & I played through together. Not bad for day 1 honestly.

Yeah, Wii U's launch was decent. I got NSMBU (excellent), Zombi U (okay), and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (excellent) so I was pretty happy with the launch. Admittedly, Racing Transformed wasn't an exclusive, but the Wii U version was the best version of the game at launch.

The big problem with the Wii U wasn't the initial launch but the desert that was the months afterwards. Rayman got delayed & then turned into a multiplatform release & other than a Monster Hunter enhanced port & Lego City Undercover, there was next to nothing of note released for most of the first year. It was around month 9 when that started to change (Pikmin, followed by W101, WW HD, and SM3DW).

8th Gen has really brought us some great tittles through the years: Uncharted 4, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Gears of War 4, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Splatoon, Forza Horizon 3...but man... the launches were really really bad:

Playstation 4 Launch Titles:

Knack

Totally invalidates this thread!

Freddo

I don't think the PS4 launch was worse than the PS3 launch or the PS2 launch. Then again, they all sucked. It took all 3 about 3 years until I decided that the game library was decent enough to buy the console.

Arklite

There was like a year long dry spell after launch but personally I had a blast with Killzone Shadow Fall's multi player for months. Shame it launched alongside a CoD and Battlefield that ate up the shooter base.

Bishop89

it launched with bf4.
Can't see how its bad.

And despite what people think around here, exclusives are not the only thing that sell consoles.

PS2 maybe was the worst ever...

Not even close. Dreamcast was poor, Saturn horrible and the Mega Drive utter tosh, Mega CD the worst ever. People forget in the old days USA/Pal launches were months most times ever years after the system launched in Japan

daTRUballin

Those launches are like heaven compared to the N64's launch, for example.

N64 launch titles:
Super Mario 64
Pilot Wings 64

Yeaaaahhhh...........You should reconsider your stance on those launches OP lol. I mean, Mario 64 was a fantastic game and all, but come on. Look at that lineup (if you can even call it that).

mrmickfran

The PS4 launch was pretty bad.

I remember being on this forum seeing all thus hype and so many posts saying "Greatness Awaits."

I understand the hype of a new console but there was nothing to play.

Really interesting thing is that the Wii U had the most number of games released day one out of any console launch ever. Barely beat some Sony records, but it did.

I thought Xbox One was pretty good, the only problem is they had 0 launch momentum leading up to it.

PS4 was garbo tho unless you factor in digital stuff around launch/launch window.

maxcriden

I'd say the stand out is Nintendo Land in that it's not only great, but can never be ported to another system. That's extremely rare.

Agreed! Was just playing it yesterday. It has an incredible amount of content across a diverse number of genres and contains veritable love letters to several Nintendo franchises. It's probably one of the best launch games of all time IMO. And since NSMBU despite its same aesthetic offers some of the best 2D Mario platforming ever - not to mention a robust Challenge Mode - I'm pretty ecstatic about the Wii U launch lineup. What I can't dispute is its lack of sales appeal, especially with Nintendo Land containing no "mainline series entry" per session and with NSMBU releasing so soon after NSMB2 and as a 2D platformer with an appearance very much akin to it's console predecessor, not to mention the much higher price of Wii U. So by no means was Wii U's first party launch lineup a commercial recipe for success, but man are those two games ever terrific.

zeexlash

Ryse was shallow but had a bit of next-gen flair about it, I quite enjoyed Crimson Dragon too and the console was bundled with Fifa in the UK.

I'll echo the love for NMSBU, that was a fantastic game, I just remember a massive game drought after it where lots of things got delayed..

Rellik

U wot m8

Driveclub is one of the best games on the PS4.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
AniHawk said:
nah man ps2 was weak at launch. march 2000 had nothing for the machine.
PS2 launched with R5, and TTT was still in March.

Not that it particularly matters - the only launch lineup that wasn't "maybe one game worth mentioning + a bunch of filler" was Vita, and that didn't do anything for the platform.

It certainly didn't help that it launched in the same window as GT6. When you compare it to GTS in terms of content then FM5 wasn't that bad. It launched a few years earlier as a launch title while having similar amounts of content with a much shorter dev cycle.
Plus FM5 looked amazing. Playing a store demo in Paris (of all places) on launch with it running 1080p@60fps on the beautiful Prague track with the rumble triggers just blew me away. I knew I had to have a Xbox One aswell as a PS4 after the rocky E3 reveals that had tipped me towards the latter.

D.Lo

PS2 launched with R5, and TTT was still in March.

Not that it particularly matters - the only launch lineup that wasn't "maybe one game worth mentioning + a bunch of filler" was Vita, and that didn't do anything for the platform.
Most Nintendo platforms launched with at least one killer game, and at least 1-2 other high quality ones.

Famicom 1983 - Donkey Kong, DK Jr, Popeye
Super Famicom - Super Mario World, F-Zero,
N64 - Mario 64, Pilotwings
Gamecube - Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, Wave Race
Wii - Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Virtual Console
Wii U - Nintendoland, NSMBU
Switch - BoTW, Snipperclips

Gamecube and Wii U are the only weak links there, all the rest launched with a world-beating classic.

Nintendo's problem has typically been droughts after launch, but launch day you have always had something killer to play on Nintendo.

Feels like for every console it took around 2-3 years to really get good. PS4 started hitting its stride within the last 12 months. Wii U's best year was 2014 when it launched in 2012.
I'd argue 3DS had a pretty terrible launch until 3D Land.
I don't remember the Vita's launch too well. I bought one 6 months in, though I remember people praising the launch line up.

I'm not sure what you'd consider Switch since the timing is weird and it's like the new handheld generation but also the console? Switch has been one of the best in about a decade or so. At least for my tastes.
PS4 hit its stride on March 24, 2015, with the release of GOTF Bloodborne.

I think it is a great launch. I had more than enough games to keep me busy until the second wave of games hit, unlike with the WiiU which was content starved for the entire history of the console, launch included.

I think it is a great launch. I had more than enough games to keep me busy until the second wave of games hit, unlike with the WiiU which was content starved for the entire history of the console, launch included.

Like I said above, it was the largest quantity of games at launch for any new console released ever.

Top Bottom