• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8th Gen launches... were pretty bad.

PS4 launched with what is still the best game on the platform, so I don't really see where you're coming from.

..okay, I guess it's just the SECOND best game on the platform now that Knack 2 is out.

jacobeid

Banned
It's not as bad as OP makes it out to be, but I am pretty sure that I'll use the first year or two of the next generation to buff up my PC and wait for games to release and hardware revisions before jumping in. In hindsight I could have waited two years before buying a PS4!

GamerJM

Banned
switch's launch left people hungry for anything, which led to the success of bomberman, puyo puyo tetris, snake pass, and neo geo games (among many others). but at this stage the first year has been pretty damn stellar, six months out.

Those games were the equivalent of Pilotwings 64 and Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire :p.

I agree it was one of the worst. First time since Atari 2600 nothing interested me enough on day one across all consoles to pick anything up.

Mooreberg

I just found them to be "safe" but not awful. They had stuff available that was easy to sell a system with. 2014 was worse than any part if 2013, launch or otherwise.

Lunaray

Is this not true for most launches?

I don't remember any Playstation console (talking about PS in particular because I'm not as familiar with the rest) being a compelling purchase until a few years in.

Honestly if it weren't for ZombiU and Nintendoland, Wii U would have been one of the worst launches ever.

NSMBU isn't bad by any means...just more of the same.

Jimm

With my PS4 I bought Killzone, Knack and AC4 I loved every moment of those games and they kept me busy for months. No complaints from me.

Vita was the best PS launch ever though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
both those platforms had several months of time between their initial launch in japan. dreamcast had almost a year to form its us launch, which was the japanese launch plus the second wave of games to hit the platform. the ps2 had an extra half-year to make the drought seem not-so-bad for western audiences. the first actual year on those machines weren't that good. gamecube and xbox fared much better thanks to their super-late releases in the generation.

People don't understand how bad the Japanese launch of the DC was. One of the worst of all time. PS2 wasn't that much better. People bought it to watch DVDs on.

Is this not true for most launches?

I don't remember any Playstation console (talking about PS in particular because I'm not as familiar with the rest) being a compelling purchase until a few years in.

It's a portable system, but the Vita had a surprisingly strong launch lineup. Most of the games were ports BUT quality console->portable ports are actually valuable when it comes to a portable system. You had puzzle/music (Lumines:ES), Action/Adventure (Uncharted:GA & Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus), fighters (BlazBlue & Marvel vs Capcom), sports (Hot Shots Golf & Virtua Tennis), platformers (Rayman Origins), racing (Wipeout), and various odds & ends (Plants vs Zombies, Katamari Damacy). No one super popular exclusive, but lots of high quality games in a variety of genres.

Sony fucked their PS4 launch by supporting the PS3 until the bitter end (and refusing to port some of those late titles for the PS4's launch). Clearly it didn't matter in the end, but they definitely could have had a better launch.

Wag

4x4ss.jpg

Relay lifeless and plain 3D just going left to right without anything really unique.

Triscuits are delicious.

Yeah, gen 8 was the longest I held off on buying any of the consoles for a LONG time.

I got burnt by the 3DS at launch, and even though I actually enjoyed the cool 3D gimmick, it was overpriced and other than PilotWings there was nothing I wanted to play until OoT3D came out.

I remember when the Wii U was coming out and seeing a display for it at Best Buy and thinking "oh yeah, a new Nintendo console is launching... huh." Had absolutely 0 hype about the system itself or any games for it for month after month. I doubt I would have even gotten one if my girlfriend hadn't gotten it for me as a surprise birthday gift.

XB1 I mainly bought just as an entertainment device that had voice support with the Kinect (which was actually BETTER at launch, apps like Netflix and Hulu eventually took out a lot of the voice functionality, like navigating and selecting shows just with voice). The only true exclusives I care about are Sunset Overdrive (great game) and the Rare Replay Collection. Everything else are either franchises I'm tired of (Halo, Forza), or I can play better versions of on PC. BC is one of the only other reasons I keep mine, but I still have a 360, so even that's not a big reason.

PS4 I got after the Slim came out (and it was on sale during black friday). It has a decent enough library now that I don't regret owning it, but like the Wii U it took a while for enough games to come out that I cared about.

Those launches look pretty solid if unspectacular, at least there's a decent quantity of games.

When I was 13 and the N64 launched in the UK we had Turok, Mario and Pilotwings. And a few days later, Fifa 64. It was months between games, even the greatness of Mario wasn't enough to really carry the console.

Top Bottom