• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Boy and His Blob releasing January 20th on XB1 and PS4(?)

joms5

Some impressions for those who want them.

Game looks great except for some assets that seems to be very low res. In particular the background with the moon and stars looks bad. Moon is pixelated and stars are little squares. Very jarring given the crisp character models.

I also get an insane amount of slowdown after leaving the tree house for the first time. My frame rate drops to like 10 fps. I noticed that to remedy this I just alt-tab back to desktop and back to the game and everything is fine.

Other than those complaints it's very much the way i remember it. I hope there's an achievement for hugging blob 100 times.

Anyone who scolds blob should have the game automatically uninstall.

Wasp

So people can see what the upscaled graphics look like I took one screenshot of the XBO version.

screenshot-originaleposp.png

This area is a little odd as the map is a higher resolution that the rest of the image. I'll probably edit this post with more screens later.

EDIT: new pics:

screenshot-original157s69.png

screenshot-original2ycs15.png

screenshot-original3yro7d.png

screenshot-original6baram.png

screenshot-original5uuu2s.png

I took one screenshot of the XBO version.

screenshot-originaleposp.png

I'll probably edit this post with more screens later.

That looks awful. On one hand you've got a high-resolution map, but on the other the kid is low-res and then the backgrounds look like they've been filtered. What a mess.

Shame as I was really looking forward to checking this out, but the screens are putting me off. If it was all low-res, that would actually be better than mixed quality assets and resolution.

I played the original on the NES a LOT as a kid. Like I rented that game probably as many times I rented Legend of Zelda or Megaman 2. I've really got to get this, but I'm worried it will just tarnish the memories I have of it.

Wasp

That looks awful. On one hand you've got a high-resolution map, but on the other the kid is low-res and then the backgrounds look like they've been filtered. What a mess.

Shame as I was really looking forward to checking this out, but the screens are putting me off. If it was all low-res, that would actually be better than mixed quality assets and resolution.
I think this high-res map is an exception, all other areas are the same res. I will post more pics soon, the ones I took yesterday wont save/upload.
What are the challenges?
I've only played a couple but they seem very similar to normal levels except shorter and harder, and typically require you to use one ability extensively such as parachuting.

davidmt

The game was $30 on the Wii, and the re-release is $10, so I'm taking that into consideration.

The game itself is very nice-Way Forward did a wonderful job with the Wii version. Its a solid puzzle game and a nice update to the NES original.

I bought the PS4 version yesterday. It really feels like recompile using the same art assets. The opening video is centered with a huge black border (bleh) and the game itself looks a bit washed out (or fuzzy) because of the screen resolution.

I bet it will look pretty good on Vita though.

May be worth mentioning but currently the publisher has said this is mispriced on ps4, least on UK psn.

Thanks @WayForward! @somanybiscuits @VG_Dave There is an error in the base pricing and we are working on getting it fixed ASAP.

Showing as £9.49 on PS4, title is £6.79 on Xbox one.

Edit- already mentioned above, sorry.

wouwie

I finished the first world yesterday and i'm enjoying the game quite a lot. It's a cute and fun puzzle/platform game with some neat ideas. Visually, it's pleasing and i like the music. Definately worth the money and i look forward to continue playing.

However, i feel this has some unrealised potential. Also, the controls are not ideal and it's a shame they didn't redo the graphics for the new resolution because it could have looked great (it still looks ok though).

In short: happy i bought the game so far. Fun game.

wouwie

Remind if there is a way to have movement be done with the D-pad on the PS4?

You can customize the button controls (jump, bean select, hug blob,...). However, there is no option to customize the movement to d-pad so i don't think it's possible.

alcheim

Hopefully the Vita release isn't far...

Just downloaded the Vita version from the US PSN store --and seems to be cross buy too.

I haven't tried the PS4 version yet, but was able to play around 8 stages on Vita, and the game looks great on the smaller screen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is the game cross save?

alcheim

Is the game cross save?

I couldn't find any option to upload/download save files on both versiosn, so I'm guessing it isn't cross save.

Although the trophies for both games are shared, so if you get a trophy while playing on Vita, you won't get it again while playing on PS4 with the same account.

alcheim

I've only done a quick visual comparison on the first five levels, and I'd say they are pretty identical... though it's easier to nitpick the visuals on the ps4 because of the bigger screen.

The load times are faster on the ps4 obviously. Maybe half a second for ps4 and 1-2 seconds on vita.

I didn't notice any frame drops on the vita version. And there wasnt any input lag when moving or jumping.

What I did notice was that the menu used to select the jellybeans feels less snappier on vita ...at least thats how it felt for me. When you press the square button, there's like a 2-5 frame wait before you can move the cursor to make a selection.

AEREC

I've only done a quick visual comparison on the first five levels, and I'd say they are pretty identical... though it's easier to nitpick the visuals on the ps4 because of the bigger screen.

The load times are faster on the ps4 obviously. Maybe half a second for ps4 and 1-2 seconds on vita.

I didn't notice any frame drops on the vita version. And there wasnt any input lag when moving or jumping.

What I did notice was that the menu used to select the jellybeans feels less snappier on vita ...at least thats how it felt for me. When you press the square button, there's like a 2-5 frame wait before you can move the cursor to make a selection.

Thanks for the info.

Just finished getting 100% on this game on the Vita. Perfect game to play in short bursts on the commute. Really enjoyed the artwork unlocks from completing challenges as well. Any kids that sat next to me on the bus were transfixed on the game. Lovely style and only slight difficulty if you're going for 100% completion with all chests and challenges. Really fun all around.

Nice!
I'll definitely pick this up if there's a physical version, and because it's made by Wayforward there will probably be a physical version.

Wayforward please don't change the gameplay like you did with DuckTales

Edit: Sorry, didn't know the game was already out

Varth

Sorry for the bump, but why is this featured as a release of today store update when it released months ago? Anything new added? Were the PSV and PS4 versions sold separately or there's been a PS3 version added?

Leynos

It is odd. I have had the Vita version since release, but it came up today on the mid-year sale. Normally the game would have a notice where the price is saying "purchased," but instead it said "free" for all versions. The release date for the PS4, and Vita releases were January of this year, but the PS3 has a release date of today. I added all three versions to my cart, and "purchased" for free, and all versions now say "purchased."

Varth

It is odd. I have had the Vita version since release, but it came up today on the mid-year sale. Normally the game would have a notice where the price is saying "purchased," but instead it said "free" for all versions. The release date for the PS4, and Vita releases were January of this year, but the PS3 has a release date of today. I added all three versions to my cart, and "purchased" for free, and all versions now say "purchased."

Oh, ok, so its that. PS3 version came out and they bundled them as a new Store item.

Top Bottom