• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A couple devs claim Switch patch sizes can be sometimes limited & other hurdles occur

Cess007

While I don't know how Nintendo's system works, devs don't "release insanely sized patches."

The actual size of the patch isn't under devs' direct control. Devs upload the full build to MS or Sony, and their patch system generates the patch based on what changed, etc.

So the only way to possibly get devs to limit patch sizes would be to ask devs to fix fewer bugs, make fewer improvements, and generally do less work improving the game. And that still might not actually change anything, since where all the data ends up in the package isn't predictable.

Thanks for the insight. Many people here talk about this stuff without actual knowledge of how it works

geordiemp

This is just an issue for anybody using carts over a hard drive.

The only way to resolve it is release a game on Switch when all patches are finished. but then that can annoy the fanbase. There is no solution.

While I don't know how Nintendo's system works, devs don't "release insanely sized patches."

The actual size of the patch isn't under devs' direct control. Devs upload the full build to MS or Sony, and their patch system generates the patch based on what changed, etc.

So the only way to possibly get devs to limit patch sizes would be to ask devs to fix fewer bugs, make fewer improvements, and generally do less work improving the game. And that still might not actually change anything, since where all the data ends up in the package isn't predictable.

Quoting this because it feels like nobody is reading it despite it coming from a dev's mouth (in this case, Lab Zero *SG/Indivisible*).

Jubenhimer

Exactly. It's a mobile device so it has 32gb on board fine, you can expand the storage with SD cards like every other mobile device so why is this a problem for Nintendo? I know folks with like 128 gb additional storage on their switch. wat

I think Nintendo should add in the ability to save game data to an SD card in the future, or release future Switch models with slightly bigger on board memory (Not 500GB, but 64GB would be better). Either way, we're still not sure if this is true, so hopefully Nintendo can loosen up if that's the case.

Didn't Mr Shifty receive an update that basically cut the game's size from 3GB to 1GB? I'm guessing the Switch must support this in some way, like there are two types of updates, similar to 3DS:

1) The Switch downloads the entire app again, the new app is smaller (Shovel Knight on 3DS did this)
2) The Switch downloads a patch whose data is added to the existing app

Is this something to do with Unreal 4 then? Mr Shifty was Unity

My Galaxy S8, released in 2017, has 64 gigs standard.

Even if the Switch came with 64GB standard people would still be complaining because 64 < 500. If Nintendo ever does release an SKU with more storage I'd want 128GB minimum anyway (of UHS storage)

True Fire

People saying "32 GB, in 2017!!" need to check the storage on their cellphones. The Switch is first and foremost, a portable.

That comes with all kind of development implications, and limits.

My iPhone is 128GB and I have cloud storage through half a dozen apps &#9786;&#65039;

Cerium

This is sad to see. There's a patch out there (for this particular game) and Nintendo are putting blocks on it.
The dev quotes themselves say that it's presently incompatible with the system and that Nintendo is working to change that.

No one except the OP has accused Nintendo of implementing arbitrary blocks.

True Fire

Why? Because devs should be able to release insanely large patches for their games?

If you want third party support you should be expecting parity with at least base PS4 and XB1. It's pretty simple. If Nintendo makes things inconvenient for devs they're not porting to Switch.

EDarkness

My iPhone is 128GB and I have cloud storage through half a dozen apps &#9786;&#65039;

Heh, I have 128GB on my phone, too...but it also cost me $900.

If you want third party support you should be expecting parity with at least base PS4 and XB1. It's pretty simple. If Nintendo makes things inconvenient for devs they're not porting to Switch.

How is not cutting down the patch size not convenient for the player? I would imagine forcing them to release smaller patches overall would be extremely beneficials for us, especially those with hard caps on their internet connections. 20-100GB patches is just insanity, man.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Nintendo needs to get so much flack for not supporting external HDD's on the dock.

They did state that support for external hard drive could come down later down the line, they would need to figure how the system would handle it in portable mode.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Honestly, I don't have a problem with their policy. Devs have been releasing these insanely sized patches for a long time now and they need to cut that down. If it means more manageable patch sizes, then I'm all for it.

My take as well. Patch sizes are absolutely insane and devs should be more mindful about that.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Would adding 32 GB of storage cause the Switch to increase $600 in price?

Would that have made an actual difference or would we be sitting in this same thread arguing about how acceptable it is to release a gaming device with 64GB of onboard storage in 2017?

It's also significantly more useful than a Nintendo Switch.

(I have a Switch, but the truth is the truth)

It's significantly more useful than any other electronic device you own...

depward

Release a game on a platform and you should know all about patching guidelines.

If you don't, you shouldn't promise enhancements and such.

This is on the dev 100%.

My Galaxy S8, released in 2017, has 64 gigs standard.

Would adding 32 GB of storage cause the Switch to increase $600 in price?

It's also significantly more useful than a Nintendo Switch.

(I have a Switch, but the truth is the truth)

Deep breaths, OrbitalBeard. Must resist.

Would that have made an actual difference or would we be sitting in this same thread arguing about how acceptable it is to release a gaming device with 64GB of onboard storage in 2017?

I personally don't care that the Switch only has 32 GB of storage. I was responding to the poster who said "lulz look at your phones."

jariw

Exactly. It's a mobile device so it has 32gb on board fine, you can expand the storage with SD cards like every other mobile device so why is this a problem for Nintendo? I know folks with like 128 gb additional storage on their switch. wat

I have a 128 GB SD card, and I'm not happy that NBA Playgrounds (in its unpatched state) takes up about the same space as MK8 Deluxe, or half of BotW storage requirements. NBA Playgrounds isn't a big AAA game.

On the Wii U, I had a 1 TB SSD (so that wasn't an issue). SD cards are very expensive compared to SSDs drives.

kiguel182

Ugh that sucks. These policies shouldn't exist anymore.

Edit: some users should develop software at least once. It's surprising how many people criticize devs for this on a supposed enthusiastic forum.

rudger

I'm confused. I've seen plenty of patches for non-Nintendo games I own on my Switch. And Nintendo has clearly approved the new Minecraft update which I imagine is large since it's changing the whole engine. What makes this one so different?

And wow at people okay with massive updates and getting mad at Nintendo for trying to tamp that shitty practice down. did the devs know the rules before launch? Cause if so, then I've no sympathy. If not, well then Nintendo needs to approve this fast.

True Fire

How is not cutting down the patch size not convenient for the player? I would imagine forcing them to release smaller patches overall would be extremely beneficials for us, especially those with hard caps on their internet connections. 20-100GB patches is just insanity, man.

50 GB patches are a reality for AAA games. If Nintendo wants small patches they won't be getting AAA games. It's pretty obvious to me.

(And honestly Nintendo was never going to get AAA games, but this isn't helping their case. I expect they'll be getting a lot of late ports for games that no longer need patches)

I'm happy to admit not understanding how it works. Again, would adding 32GB cause the price to increase $600?

Obviously not $600, as a smartphone does a lot more than a Nintendo Switch (which goes far beyond the amount of flash memory), but, given the current flash storage shortage, it would almost certainly cause some problems and definitely raise the system's price.

aBarreras

The dev said they reduced the game size, not the patch size. Even with that Nintendo is still giving them trouble.

exactly, if nintendo didnt care about sizes, they would have left the game the same size. since there are restrictions they are working on being more efficient

OmegaFax

The way Minecraft is being handled on Switch when it gets the "Realms" update sounds like anything substantially done to the game requires a new game listing. In the case of Minecraft, the new listing is a free download to previous owners of the Switch Edition.

The game's dropping the "Nintendo Switch Edition" from the title and updates are being handed over from 4J Studios back over to Mojang AB. Either Microsoft and Nintendo came to a special agreement to waive the costs or they went ahead with a new submission + cost.

I guess the same concept applies to developers wanting to push an entirely new version of the game. If you go into the Nintendo Switch's storage management, you can see the breakdown of what the base game install size is, updates, and DLC. Patches can add to the total size but I don't see how the core game can be reduced without the developer submitting an entirely new base game for certification.

I'm confused. I've seen plenty of patches for non-Nintendo games I own on my Switch. And Nintendo has clearly approved the new Minecraft update which I imagine is large since it's changing the whole engine. What makes this one so different?

And wow at people okay with massive updates and getting mad at Nintendo for trying to tamp that shitty practice down. did the devs know the rules before launch? Cause if so, then I've no sympathy. If not, well then Nintendo needs to approve this fast.

Exactly. The same problem is plaguing apps right now and it's not good for the customer at the end of the day.

Bad App Citizens

NBA Playgrounds is missing a full fucking feature that they're trying to patch in.

It's dumb that Nintendo's limiting patch sizes, but even dumber for devs to release an incomplete game.

Aren't Nintendo themselves causing this issue by offering little to no backing to multiplat titles that don't release the same time as other versions.

aBarreras

50 GB patches are a reality for AAA games. If Nintendo wants small patches they won't be getting AAA games. It's pretty obvious to me.

(And honestly Nintendo was never going to get AAA games, but this isn't helping their case. I expect they'll be getting a lot of late ports for games that no longer need patches)

you say it like if we should accept 50 gigs patches, holy shit

EDarkness

I don't think they have to be a reality, but there are no real checks on the size of these things and they're out of control. Putting some caps on this when internet providers are putting hard caps on downloading (Comcast just did this in my area recently) is good for us...the consumer.

And even so, it says in the OP that Nintendo waived the size issue, there must be something else going on as to why the patch hasn't been released. I think we all need to keep that in mind, too.

emb

In general, I like the idea of there being restrictions, limits and difficulties with patches. Patches seem to get abused these days to 'meet' deadlines by shipping incomplete products. In the case from the op, I'll preface that I'm not too informed, but they're saying that essential elements (online mode?) are missing from the initial release? The real issue seems to be their publisher giving the greenlight and forcing the game to release too early.

But, as much as I dislike patches (that aren't critical bugfixes), they're the reality we live in. Would be great if it encouraged creators to release products that were more complete. Given the landscape though, what it will actually do is prevent Switch players from getting game enhancements, and discourage third parties from even doing Switch ports. So in that sense, yeah, seems like a pretty dumb rule. But there are probably also tech aspects that deal with how the system handles games or something.

Nintendo doing Nintendo. Making dumb choice after dumb choice. I love my Switch but seriously even the Wii U didn't have this issue. Now Nintendo is going to be stricter with patch approval? What fucking year is it?

Nintendo should just experiment with the idea of being reasonable at this point. But I guess that as usual doesn't matter to them.

Why are developers still surprised by Nintendo's overall attitude towards them is the part that baffles me. They've been doing this shit on and off forever.

Top Bottom