• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Fanboy Intervention [Red Steel Reactionary Piece]

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ghostlyjoe said:
Who started this myth? Did the success of Final Fantasy spell the death of platformers?

Just because a game is successful, it doesn't suddenly mean that no one will ever explore another genre again.

Don't take my post to mean that I think because genre X is successful, genre Y will die out. I was just speaking in relative terms, since I'm quite sure that a GTA clone costs more than a Brain Training game, and because it costs more, it takes away more resources from other games, much more compared to what a BT game would have done.

Zenith said:
I know how it works but the extra tilt won't make a difference with most genres. how will it feature in RTS, sports games, driving and the rest of it?
I can totally imagine some racing game where you'd hold the revmote in the NES fashion, turn it left or right as if a steering wheel, and twist it forward for speed. Perhaps in an RTS you could point to select a unit, and through tilting choose from a row of possible commands.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Methinks this guy should become a research fanboy before he writes another article filled with misinformation :lol

jaundicejuice said:
That kind of re-enforces the point I made above. It's still a Legend of Zelda, it still has the same core design I expect, you still probably progress through the game in the same fashion you have in every other Zelda, largely gain the same items, do what you always do in a Zelda game. If how you interact with the software is the only radical difference, how is that better? Legend of Zelda with touchscreen control, that's different? That's innovative?

Some games on the DS are totally different. Most games aren't. That's just how it is. I mean yeah Nintendo plays up the innovation aspect, OBVIOUSLY it's exaggerated. Welcome to corporate marketing. Microsoft would have you believe your Xbox is powered by human energy, and Sony claims we haven't even seen HD yet. It's all bullshit.

However, there is some really awesome stuff that uses the touch screen: Meteos, Kirby, Metroid, Electroplankton (NOT for everyone I know but I love it).

Look, I don't care one whit about innovation so long as I have fun, and if it's a good game, I'll probably buy it, it's just that I don't see how the new input alone makes what is potentially the same kind of game we've been playing for years better or all that signifigantly different for those tired of gaming as is. Which seems to be the main reason so many are looking forward to the Revolution because they're tired of the status quo. Even Nintendo is somewhat struggling, in my eyes, to redefine gaming on the unique hardware they're creating.

Fair enough, I mean I doubt they're going to redefine gaming as a whole. However, their hardware looks like it has the opportunity to really offer some very new experiences. For the record, I thought the DS was going to be bullshit from the start (I was proven wrong because of its excellent library, even if the control mechanisms themselves haven't been "revolutionary"), but with Revolution I've been excited since the controller was revealed because I can already imagine many ways it could be super fun. And I'm not a game designer, so I'm sure the people who are will have a lot more ideas than I do.

Ubisoft's Red Steel is just some unknown quantity of first person shooter right now, albeit with a potentially superior controller set-up compared to other consoles. Supposedly standard games and genres are a problem, until they're on a new input device, then they're okay? That screams a bit of hypocrisy on some peoples parts.

Well...yeah, honestly yes, it's very exciting to me. I have nothing against the concept of a first person shooter, I've been playing them my whole life and have enjoyed many of them. However, ever since basically Half-Life came out the genre has been less and less interesting to me. There have been a few exceptions (Halo, Far Cry, a couple others) but I'm absolutely loving the idea of an interface where you have such direct tactile control. I think it could be incredibly revitalizing for the genre. Not everybody needs that, and there's no question the genre will continue to be successful with analog sticks and mice as well. I've been playing FPS games a LONG time though, literally since the genre began, and the idea of a whole new interface for them is just awesome to me.

And there's still so many unknowns at this point about the game. Red Steel might not, no scratch that, won't look as good as other FPS's by the time it's out--we don't even know what it looks like in motion, we just have an idea, an approximation of what it may look like from doctored screen shots, or projection video captures (*cough*SeeGRAW*cough*). But hey, it doesn't look too shabby, thus far, it's giving a nice hint at this systems capabilities, and even giving that whole "designing games in SD takes less power" theory some legs.
Yeah, no doubt it's unlikely to look like it does in those shots. Quite frankly I couldn't care less about that, but many people will and that's up to them. Obviously Revolution isn't really aimed at those people to begin with.

We don't know how good the A.I. is, if GRAW is any indication of the skill of Ubi's code monkies, I wouldn't hope for anything amazing. We don't what environmental interaction will be like, or if any physics are indeed being employed (kind of a standard now I'd think because of Half-Life 2)...there's just so many unknowns at this point for what is a fairly standard looking game that might only be unique or notably different because of its input device.
Sure, but that's the case for every game. A lot of the mechanisms described in the preview would be really interesting, controller or not and "revolutionary" or not (sparing the lives of minibosses and having that actually affect the game later, having a first person sword combo system, etc.), and maybe they'll pan out and maybe they won't. AI is something that EVERY SINGLE DEVELOPER promises and it basically NEVER works right, so I don't expect any more in that area from this game than I would for any other.

The new input isn't going to fix everything and make it all better...and honestly I don't quite understand the hype storm surrounding it, except for the fact that it's the first genuine bit of Revolution news since last years Tokyo Game Show.
The idea of using the controller in a game like this sounds fun as hell. Seriously, that's the biggest thing I'm looking forward to. I love the idea of looking around and aiming like that, but not in an on rails sense like a light gun game. I love the totally useless details like the gun rotating to match your wrist; those are things that are there purely for immersion's sake and that kind of unorthadox attention to detail is something I love about immersive video games. It just sounds like if the team does a good job, the game could be really, really fun, and that's pretty exciting.

Drinky Crow said:
Pretty much sums up where I stand, although the best advice for Nintendo fanboys easily compresses to three words instead of several thousand: BUY A PS2.
What if they already own a PS2?

SantaC

My biggest compliant with the Nintendo Revolution doubters is that why would you want as a consumer 3 consoles on the market that does the same thing AGAIN? Answer me that, and we're all good. Personally I am happy that Revolution has a different control setup than that of 360 and PS3. Now I can enjoy my Revolution games in one way, and PS3+360 in another.

Nash said:
If they unveil a diverse line-up of games at E3, with lots of third party support, and there's more substantial games in there like Red Steel with interesting game mechanics, the internet will meltdown.

I want that to happen

I think the Internet has had a good run but we need to freshen it up a bit a good meltdown and rebirth would do it wonders

_leech_ said:
I'm seeing the same Nintendo, imho: profit over consumers.

you just described every single company in the world good job

seriosuly the point of every company is to make money not to leave a trail of sunflowers and happy smiling faces in their wake while they slowly go bankrupt and start doing cheap tricks in dirty alleyways

_leech_ said:
Of course they do. The difference between Nintendo and Sony/Microsoft is that two of these at least attempt to invest in something customers want. You don't see Sony or Microsoft attempting to regress the market for the sake of their pocketbooks.

then why didn't Microsoft include HD-DVD and wifi from the start?

why is Sony dropping Memory Card Support for PS1 and PS2 memory cards from the PS3?

I mean that's just the tip of the iceburg there's alot of shit Sony and Microsoft have done for profit and not for the consumer it's called buisness

monkeyrun

[Nintex] said:
Carmack am copy am total... NINTENDO INVENTED THE FPS!!!
so true.

You are in First Person mode and you Shoot stuff in duck hunt so Duck Hunt is a FPS.

Who said that Japanese doesn't like FPS :lol

Floyd

Hes too much of a hate filled pig bastard to give off a sensible outlook on the subject matter. Trys far too hard, trys to be teh funny, and exaggerates everything 10 fold, hoping to the gods its pissing off those he despises. Reminds me of Drinky Cum.

AniHawk

...and I know that the $400 XBox and the even-more-expensive PS3 sound outrageous when compared to, say, a jar of pickles at the supermarket. And after all, haven't game machines always been around the $250 mark? Even the original Atari 2600 was priced at $249 when it launched in 1977.

Wait a second... we forgot about inflation. In today's money, that would be $811.

The NES, when adjusted for inflation, came out at $355.

The SEGA Genesis? $390.

Even the PS1 launched in 1995 for $299.99... which is $372 in today's money.

:lol

What a fucking retarded argument. Consumers shouldn't be bending over and accepting high prices. That's partly why the Saturn and so many other mid90s systems failed.

mugwhump

6.jpg

Panda fanboys are the winners.
Edit: nevermind, it seems panda fanboys are the losers.

Why are people so fixated on hating those that enjoy/prefer [brand x]'s console and/or games? Granted, we all have out likes and dislikes, and some of us are even pretty passionate about it. And even I have stated my opinions, knowing full well that it would ruffle feathers, but after awhile, the shtick just gets old.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oblivion said:
While I don't care for BT or Nintendogs, I think GTA clones and the like are FAR more threatening to gaming then something like Nintendogs will EVER be.

I'm not so sure. People exaggerate the GTA clone-a-thon and the success of those titles, I think. Meanwhile, the "non-game" revolution is seriously in control of Japan.

I mean Animal Crossing is going to outsell FFXII over the course of its lifespan. Why? WHY, CRUEL GOD, WHY!?

This article is pretty silly and ignorant (probably for the sake of being "humorous")

That said, I guess I'm just different from all the "bored with gaming" people in the sense that I never placed a huge amount of importance on the controller used as far as what make gameplay "innovative". I see a lot of people say things like "Sony/MS are offering graphics, while Nintendo is offering innovative gameplay!" as if the controller is the only thing that dictates level design, AI, pacing, graphic and audio design, and all the other functions that I consider part of gameplay.

Sure the controller's important, but it's not the sole component of "gameplay" as some might imply. That's sorta like saying every FPS on PC automatically has better gameplay than a console FPS, just because you use a mouse/keyboard.

Of course, I'm still looking forward to getting my hands on the thing, and feel free to prove me wrong Nintendo :D

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I mean Animal Crossing is going to outsell FFXII over the course of its lifespan. Why? WHY, CRUEL GOD, WHY!?

Possibly because the gamplay of FFXII is weak sauce plus we're up to 12 FF games maybe people want something different now

I used to be a big FF fan since the days of the first one and honestly X was ok X-2 I played for about 15 minutes and just had no desire to go back to, the demo for XII left me less than enthused

I'm sure there are others that feel the same way, and maybe some of those got into Animal Crossing *shrug* I personally didn't but maybe others did

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I'm not so sure. People exaggerate the GTA clone-a-thon and the success of those titles, I think. Meanwhile, the "non-game" revolution is seriously in control of Japan.
Not that I'm a proponent of the "Success of this genre kills other genres." theory, but going by the February Famitsu LTDs, if you add together 4 Training games and all the versions of Nintendogs, it comes to about 5.8 million sales total. Isn't that about what each console GTA release this generation has done in the US?

Oblivion

Y2Kevbug11 said:

GTA clones cost more money to make, and would take away many more resources from other projects than something like AC would ever do.

And AC is about as much of a "non-game" as the Sims is, and I don't think it's destroyed the PC market.

Ponn

Banned
Why do I get this feeling Drinkyton came a month early this year and Drinky is actually behind this blog post. He's always a step ahead of everyone, remember that. :lol

Shin Johnpv said:
Possibly because the gamplay of FFXII is weak sauce plus we're up to 12 FF games maybe people want something different now

I used to be a big FF fan since the days of the first one and honestly X was ok X-2 I played for about 15 minutes and just had no desire to go back to, the demo for XII left me less than enthused

I'm sure there are others that feel the same way, and maybe some of those got into Animal Crossing *shrug* I personally didn't but maybe others did

FFXII gameplay being weaksauce compared to Animal Crossing? :lol

Zenith

Banned
I love the totally useless details like the gun rotating to match your wrist

did no one else anticipate this feature? at all? every person+site is going on about how unbelievable it is but I always saw it as a base feature for every first person rev game. it's the whole point of the controller. in current FPSs we always have the gun nailed to the side of the screen because controls are too crude to allow any further manipulation. people here are seriously lacking imagination.

Somethingblah Cock said:
FFXII gameplay being weaksauce compared to Animal Crossing? :lol

where did I say compared to Animal Crossing? I was talking about it compared to Past FF games

which it is, the combat is lame and sucks not as fun as past FF Games. The point I was making, was that maybe people said hey this isn't the FF I loved in the past I'm gonna try something new. There's nothign wrong with that and we really shouldn't be all crying dear god why when something new outsells the 12th instalment of another series.

Y2Kev

Shin Johnpv said:

You sit on a throne of lies.

FFXII scored a perfect 40 in Famitsu and is garnering universal acclaim.

Not that I'm a proponent of the "Success of this genre kills other genres." theory, but going by the February Famitsu LTDs, if you add together 4 Training games and all the versions of Nintendogs, it comes to about 5.8 million sales total. Isn't that about what each console GTA release this generation has done in the US?

Those are world wide sales on the GTA games, though, no? The training games match the OUTRAGEOUS success of the GTA games in one territory. And they're shooting up the US amazon list now!

GTA clones cost more money to make, and would take away many more resources from other projects than something like AC would ever do.

And AC is about as much of a "non-game" as the Sims is, and I don't think it's destroyed the PC market.

I don't get the money argument. That just supports what I'm saying. It's easier to make Brain Age that costs like 20,000 to develop and sells 5.8 million copies...or you can make a massive GTA. Which would you make?

And the Sims is SO much more game than Animal Crossing. How can you compare them? Yes, there is no "end" technically in either of the games, but the Sims just has so much more of a rigid game structure...there is so much more to DO in the Sims.

Zenith

Banned
Those are world wide sales on the GTA games, though, no? The training games match the OUTRAGEOUS success of the GTA games in one territory. And they're shooting up the US amazon list now

but aren't the training games cheaper than a PS2 game? final profit figures are what count.

Y2Kev

Zenith said:
but aren't the training games cheaper than a PS2 game? final profit figures are what count.

By 20 dollars or so I imagine. They are also much cheaper to develop. I'd bet it offsets.

Either way, I just meant to say that it my opinion that Brain Training could be more dangerous to "gaming" than GTA clone a thon.

Shin Johnpv said:
where did I say compared to Animal Crossing? I was talking about it compared to Past FF games

which it is, the combat is lame and sucks not as fun as past FF Games. The point I was making, was that maybe people said hey this isn't the FF I loved in the past I'm gonna try something new. There's nothign wrong with that and we really shouldn't be all crying dear god why when something new outsells the 12th instalment of another series.

You've only played a demo which according to people who've played the finished game, is hardly indicative of the end product. Not to mention FFXII is wildly different from any previous FF games, so who cares if it's the 12th game as long as it's diffferent?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
By 20 dollars or so I imagine. They are also much cheaper to develop. I'd bet it offsets.

Either way, I just meant to say that it my opinion that Brain Training could be more dangerous to "gaming" than GTA clone a thon.

That sort of thing happens all the time though and nothing really comes of it. Remember those hunting games? Deer Hunter was the top selling game for a while and then there were forty thousand deer hunting games a second, and some of them sold well and some didn't but it had hardly any lasting effect on the industry. What is likely going to happen if Brain Age sells really well in the US is that a bunch of publishers will release their own versions, some will sell well and some won't, but the market just won't support an infinite number of Brain Age clones. Most of them will fail and even though they had low budgets to develop it won't be worth continuing that trend. Brain Age will continue to do pretty well, or there might be some other game that steals the throne (though that's unlikely) but there's no chance, even remotely, that it'll somehow change the focus of the entire industry.

Oblivion

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Those are world wide sales on the GTA games, though, no? The training games match the OUTRAGEOUS success of the GTA games in one territory. And they're shooting up the US amazon list now!

Nope. GTA world wide sales is like 13 million per game. (3 and beyond)

I don't get the money argument. That just supports what I'm saying. It's easier to make Brain Age that costs like 20,000 to develop and sells 5.8 million copies...or you can make a massive GTA. Which would you make?

Yet in both cases, (assuming both GTA and "non-games" are bad), they're bad for the industry. And the cheaper game is better, because you get more money out of a smaller investment, and you could use that to make other genres.

And the Sims is SO much more game than Animal Crossing. How can you compare them? Yes, there is no "end" technically in either of the games, but the Sims just has so much more of a rigid game structure...there is so much more to DO in the Sims.

What? Just because one has way more features than the other, the other should be counted as a non-game? Does Tekken having less combos or whatever than Marvel vs. Capcom make it a non-fighting game?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Zenith said:
did no one else anticipate this feature? at all? every person+site is going on about how unbelievable it is but I always saw it as a base feature for every first person rev game. it's the whole point of the controller. in current FPSs we always have the gun nailed to the side of the screen because controls are too crude to allow any further manipulation. people here are seriously lacking imagination.

I was thinking about an anime I watched years ago (or maybe it was a John Woo movie) where the protagonist deflected bullets by smacking them with the broad side of his pistol.
I figure you'll be able to do that with your sword, so why not with your gun? Makes freeze shot all the more awesome if you ask me.

Y2Kevbug11 said:

It's a FF game being reviewed by Famitsu ofcourse it's going to score that

I don't know man I played the demo a couple of times and I have to be honest between the increadibly lame Character Design and the increadibly lame battles I have 0 interest in the title, and this is coming from some one who has bought every single other FF game on day one

now IM not trying to say A C is a deeper richer title than FFXII the point im making is something new outselling the 12th interation of something isn't a bad thing

Y2Kevbug11 said:

So did nintendogs. Which I just know you're going to say sucks but I liked plenty. THE POINT IS, Definitely wasnt a perfect score game.

And the amount of urban thug games and gratuitous violence in games has definitely risen since gta came out, the reason why they didnt take over is because gta wasnt nearly as phenomenal in japan.

Y2Kev

Oblivion said:
Nope. GTA world wide sales is like 13 million per game. (3 and beyond)
I'd have to look, I'm not sure.

Yet in both cases, (assuming both GTA and "non-games" are bad), they're bad for the industry. And the cheaper game is better, because you get more money out of a smaller investment, and you could use that to make other genres.
Why would you even make those other games? They cost more to develop and are bigger risks. You could make the same profit on a "nongame."

What? Just because one has way more features than the other, the other should be counted as a non-game? Does Tekken having less combos or whatever than Marvel vs. Capcom make it a non-fighting game?

That wasn't really the point, I was just expressing my relative disgust with Animal Crossing. When I played animal crossing...I didn't know what I was doing. I was digging up holes to find fossils to get out of debt. And I was selling fruit. That's not a game. In the Sims, I was balancing the meters and building relationships. I felt that was more of a game than the animal crossing type "life simulator." Yes, the Sims is a "nongame" I guess, but I just don't see how they are comparable.

It's a FF game being reviewed by Famitsu ofcourse it's going to score that

This is like the sixth game in Famitsu history to score a 40/40. So no, you're wrong, actually.

So did nintendogs. Which I just know you're going to say sucks but I liked plenty. THE POINT IS, Definitely wasnt a perfect score game.

I have no problem with you liking it. I just worry about huge, multi-year development viability on projects like FFXII if they are gonna get outsold by Tamagotchi with voice recognition and touch screen features. How much money did FFXII cost square enix?

Somethingblah Cock said:
You've only played a demo which according to people who've played the finished game, is hardly indicative of the end product. Not to mention FFXII is wildly different from any previous FF games, so who cares if it's the 12th game as long as it's diffferent?

ok your still focusing on minute details while the greater point of what I was trying to say just flew past your head

X new game is wildly different from previous games in genre, so who cares if it sells better than Y12 it's soemthing different

I only brought up FFXII and AC because those were the two examples he gave, and good I hope the final is better than the demo because the demo left me not caring one bit about the game

yjs666

Oh god, not more of this bullshit about fanboys. People can be fanboys if they want to.

This guy is just paranoid that the Rev will trash his dreams of a perfect Playstation dominated future. :lol

Oblivion said:

No, but your original comparison still overlooks the fact that The Sims has resource management involved, your Sims die if you can't organize and strategize well, etc.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
This is like the sixth game in Famitsu history to score a 40/40. So no, you're wrong, actually.

and how many games have gotten 38s or 39s and what have been the scores of Past FF games Im gonna bet that everyone of them has been in the 37 - 40 range, which I think is off because FF8 and 11 both sucked ass as did X-2

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
there's nothing even slightly unreasonable about the assumption that the revolution controller is a categorical improvement on any other human to machine interface. it's just obvious.

Y2Kev

Shin Johnpv said:
and how many games have gotten 38s or 39s and what have been the scores of Past FF games Im gonna bet that everyone of them has been in the 37 - 40 range, which I think is off because FF8 and 11 both sucked ass as did X-2

What is the point this line of questioning? You said the gameplay was weaksauce and that isn't the case according to many major publications.

Oblivion

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Why would you even make those other games? They cost more to develop and are bigger risks. You could make the same profit on a "nongame."

I have no problem with you liking it. I just worry about huge, multi-year development viability on projects like FFXII if they are gonna get outsold by Tamagotchi with voice recognition and touch screen features. How much money did FFXII cost square enix?

Let me ask you this. Do you see the crowd who buys GTA/50: Cent/True Crime/etc. would want to buy a BT game? Do you see them not buying GTA for BT? GTA's incredible performance didn't stop yearly Madden updates from selling truckloads. AC's incredible performance in Japan didn't stop people from rushing to get FFXII.

There's always going to be a market for different genres. I personally can't stand GTA, and I would stick to FF, and so would several people. Likewise, the reverse is true.

Y2Kev

Oblivion said:
Let me ask you this. Do you see the crowd who buys GTA/50: Cent/True Crime/etc. would want to buy a BT game? Do you see them not buying GTA for BT? AC's incredible performance in Japan didn't stop people from buying FFXII.

There's always going to be a market for different genres. I personally can't stand GTA, and I would stick to FF, and so would several people. Likewise, the reverse is true.

Ah, I see what you are saying. At least as far as any MAJOR company who could potentially tap (that is, fund development) both of those markets.

Small companies and smaller studios that used to crank out original, "innovative" content though...could be difficult.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
What is the point this line of questioning? You said the gameplay was weaksauce and that isn't the case according to many major publications.

the point of this line of questioning is that video game reviewers are not an all truthful source remember how everyone gave Enter the Matrix awesome reviews and then months down the line were like Yeah the game sucked but we gave it good reviews anyway

big name games very rarely get an honest review and just because Famitsu says its totally wicked dude doesnt make it so, there have been past FF games that were weaksauce and there will be future ones and I bet everyone of them gets a good review in Famitsu

Maybe getting outsold by a game like Animal Crossing will cause square enix to re-evaluate how it does things, do the FF games really need 6 - 7 years and hundreds of millions of dollars to be good games, or is alot of that spending and that dev time being wasted

Competition only breads better things for the consumer, having a "staple" of the industry being outsold by something like AC just might be a good thing

Top Bottom