• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Hat in Time Review Thread

The dev, but obviously him too.

I'll try to round this up as succinctly as posssible:

• When the Kickstarter campaign launched in 2013, it hit its initial ask in a few hours and added stretch goals. It didn't add a Wii U stretch goal, but it did court the Nintendo-covering enthusiast press hard and talk about the platform on the main page. (This is now viewable under the FAQ.) Once the campaign cleared, they stopped talking about the Wii U as a good-faith goal and now as something they had never promised.
  • The first major development in the Wii U issue was that Gears for Breakfast said given that the game was made in UE3, a licence would cost something in the six figures to release the game on Wii U. This was contradicted by public figures available from Epic.
  • Following that, GfB claimed they weren't in touch with Nintendo's indies guru at the time, Dan Adelman. That was preposterous given how available he was, but I and others reached him that evening and he confirmed that, at least by that point, he was in touch. In the end, this all went nowhere.
  • One thing they did add as a stretch goal was music by Grant Kirkhope. First there was one song, then they said he would do one for every $15,000 over $200,000. This game raised just short of $300,000. Kirkhope was only contracted to do three songs total, rather than seven or eight. When pressed on this obvious inconsistency, GfB in mid-2014 in the Kickstarter comments said Kirkhope was only contracted to do "six minutes" of music. In April of that year, GfB said: "The total Kickstarter amount seen on the right ($296,360) does not match the amount we actually ended up receiving, because a lot of backers had their payments fail (either due to incorrect credit card or similar issues). That is why 7 is not the total pieces Grant will be performing." This shortfall would be drastic, approaching six figures in failed pledges, which I am assured is nowhere near the norm (or even believable) on Kickstarter.
  • This Kirkhope situation occured during a 12-month stretch between February 2014 and February 2015 where they only made three Kickstarter updates, one of which was very brief. This was not addressed in a Kickstarter update, but in the comments and only after public comments by Kirkhope in a Reddit AMA. At one point Kickstarter was brought in to encourage the devs to communicate with the backers.
  • Pre-dating the campaign, the main dev, under the alias Mecha the Slag, while participating in a Mario fansite, was alleged to have created a site slandering another user. This followed the user claiming his work and the work of an associate where unjustly being used by MtS in a game. I'm not involved in this, all I know is what I've read, and that's all available in the now-locked HiT mega-thread.

Thanks for this - Very enlightening.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Lol did Dusk really go back and edit a bunch of his posts to let people know where he went and to advertise ResetEra? That's some grade A narcissism.

Top Bottom