• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Man Who’s Probably Innocent Will Die Today, And Lawyers Can’t Save Him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amory

That said, I think one is acceptable. I think some number higher than one is acceptable. An earlier figure quoted in the thread was from 1 to 4ish percent. I don't find that especially troubling. A success rate of 96-99% is pretty much what one would expect from a standard of "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" (though it's really not appropriate to think of that standard in terms of a percentage certainty)

Dude. Come on, seriously?

We're talking about innocent people being killed and you'd be alright with an error rate up to 4% just because it would mean we get to keep executing the other 96%? Forget 4%. If it's happened once that's a black mark on this country's history.

Try to put yourself in the shoes of a wrongly convicted person in the death chamber. It's horrifying to think about.

So you're saying that we should force people to suffer as part of their punishment? That sounds pretty cruel to me. And what if the person's truly innocent, but they have no hope of ever having their verdict overturned, so they'd rather take the quick way out? Are you saying that you'd prefer to force an innocent man to suffer just so that you can make sure all actual criminals suffer, too? But... wait. Replace "suffer" with "die" and you get exactly the anti-death side of the argument, don't you? Huh. Funny, that.

Either way, the undesirable element is removed from society. And that is, or should be, the point of the justice system: discourage crime, reform those who commit crimes who can be reformed, and remove those who can't be reformed from society. The point of the justice system isn't to take vengeance on criminals.

Where are you getting this from? If you're willfully misunderstanding and distorting my point, please just say so.

Nowhere did I say I support unjust indefinite detention not cruel punishment of convicts. But your proposal is probably far more untenable than abolishing capital punishment. It's probably far less realistic than the ideal goal of actually reducing unjust imprisonments altogether.

Legal euthanasia is still a rarity in this country, and it probably won't be introduced in the justice system anytime soon.

Dryk

Not going to jump on the death sentence train though i personally don't give a shit. Wrongful life in prison makes me just about as angry. I just loathe our legal system every time damning evidence is not permitted in court for any reason.
It's becoming painfully obvious that the courts are a twisted perversion of justice where the truth doesn't matter as long as your side wins.

We're talking about innocent people being killed and you'd be alright with an error rate up to 4% just because it would mean we get to keep executing the other 96%? Forget 4%. If it's happened once that's a black mark on this country's history.
When there's an alternative (life in prison) with the same outcomes and a much lower incidence of dead innocents it's completely unacceptable.

I bet public defenders are a big reason why blacks often get punished far worse than whites.

Structural racism keeps black people in low income/poorly educated neighborhoods.
Poverty and lack of job prospects fuels crime, while the war on drugs and 'tough on crime' statutes tears apart families and dooms new generations to life as someone with a record.
It's an intersection of crap, and the lack of a properly mended social safety net means it falls to a single, overworked public employee to be the last line of defense between a black man and condemnation. Assuming the second to last line of defense (armed cops) don't kill him, first.

Hey, no problem, as soon as they get out of peison they need to head straight to the voting booth and... Wait.

Woah, let's not talk about the glaring issues in the judicial system and how it ties into destroying black lives in America and keeping the same status quo of the Jim Crow days!

We have evil men who need to be killed because they don't respect the sanctity of life like the rest of us God fearin patriotic Americans do!

It's a joke how we view the "justice" system in this country it really is. We view it as an avenue for punishment when really it's meant to discern the truth, punishment is only meant to be a deterrent and something applied to the guilty. But as with all systems, it's been exploited since it's inception to be a tool of fear and power. The thought you have when you see someone on trial is "obviously they did it" and it takes something like a written confession acted out in 4KHD by someone else showing that they actually did it for anybody to believe otherwise.

Our society is fucked.

It's a joke how we view the "justice" system in this country it really is. We view it as an avenue for punishment when really it's meant to discern the truth, punishment is only meant to be a deterrent and something applied to the guilty. But as with all systems, it's been exploited since it's inception to be a tool of fear and power. The thought you have when you see someone on trial is "obviously they did it" and it takes something like a written confession acted out in 4KHD by someone else showing that they actually did it for anybody to believe otherwise.

Our society is fucked.

Profit, don't forget profit. It plays an ridiculously huge part.

Friendly reminder to y'all: Even though some of these people may be on deathrow for a crime they didn't commit, most of them are pieces of shit that you rather have in prison than out on the streets.

Amir0x

Banned
No, it is not the only way a death penalty supporter can justify supporting the death penalty. You say the death penalty doesn't deter crime, but some studies have found otherwise, and on balance the studies appear to be inconclusive (notwithstanding Politifact's partisan-motivated "Mostly False" rating). A person can rationally believe that the death penalty might deter crime, and the evidence, on balance, would not refute that belief.

This is another one of those moments where people try to pretend there isn't wide consensus on an issue by pointing to the few studies that even simply say it's inconclusive let alone beneficial.

Eighty-eight percent of the country's top criminologists do not believe the death penalty acts as a deterrent to homicide, according to a new study published in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology and authored by Professor Michael Radelet, Chair of the Department of Sociology at the University of Colorado-Boulder, and Traci Lacock, also at Boulder.

Similarly, 87% of the expert criminologists believe that abolition of the death penalty would not have any significant effect on murder rates. In addition, 75% of the respondents agree that "debates about the death penalty distract Congress and state legislatures from focusing on real solutions to crime problems."

The survey relied on questionnaires completed by the most pre-eminent criminologists in the country, including Fellows in the American Society of Criminology; winners of the American Society of Criminology's prestigious Southerland Award; and recent presidents of the American Society of Criminology. Respondents were not asked for their personal opinion about the death penalty, but instead to answer on the basis of their understandings of the empirical research.

This is 88% believing this. The experts in the field, asked to answer based on the empirical research what they believe is true on this "controversial" subject. This is the equivalent of saying there's a controversy among climate change scientists. There is no controversy, just wide eyed crazies wishing harder than they've ever done that the majority of the evidence stops proving them wrong. We have a billion real world examples of countries like this, and we have the studies of which the majority agree.

In addition, some death penalty supporters don't rely on the deterrent effect at all in making their case. Professor Robert Blecker of New York Law School, for instance, makes his case on the basis of retribution--the death penalty is a punishment fit to some crimes.

So, again, revenge. As I said. Bloodlust. There's no such thing as a "punishment fitting the crime" if it harms society at large to do it. Society did not agree to those terms.

The other issues you raise either are not necessary characteristics of the death penalty or are the subject of reasonable disagreement. Blecker suggests a higher standard of proof (higher than "beyond a reasonable doubt") for imposing the death penalty, for instance, which would reduce the number of innocents sentenced to death. The costs of prosecuting a death penalty case don't need to fall on small towns that can't afford it--the state can bear those costs instead, for example. And some may reasonably weigh the benefits of imposing the death penalty as greater than the detriment of having to bear high monetary costs; that is not a question subject to empirical determination.

So your answer is "sure i mean it may bankrupt some small towns, but it doesn't have to - instead the entire state should have to take on the burden of a demonstrably failed policy!"

I'm not even going to get to the heart of the monstrous comment you made literally saying it's perfectly acceptable if people's entire life, liberty and pursuit of happiness is eviscerated in the name of disgusting, petty bloodlust. Truly outrageous. Like "oh statistically it's not that bad, I mean that's about the margin of error I'd expect from a well-oiled killing machine!" I mean, the fuck? What can even be added to this shit?

commedieu

Banned
Friendly reminder to y'all: Even though some of these people may be on deathrow for a crime they didn't commit, most of them are pieces of shit that you rather have in prison than out on the streets.
Only a sith deals in absolutes.

And only in America do we not understand rehabilitation or preventive measures.
No effort is made to deal with the creation of these people. Or to correct the crime schools in shitty areas.

There are other options. But wed rather blow money on military waste and corruption than trying to reduce crime. It's a booming private business.

These are people that would be better contributing to society. Than the pockets of the elite.

1 accidental death is enough to condemn the broken system. Sorry, but fearful what ifs are destroying the nation. There are other rational roads. None are taken.

The reality is criminals serve time in inhumane conditions, are psychologically tortured, then thrown back into our population, and likely can't land fruitful work. People thinking they deserve to go through that just tolerates the cycle.

All our prisons do for society is create return clients that harm and maim innocent people on their way back.

The war on drugs creates over 100,000 jobs. Yet it's such a monumental failure on every. Single. Level. That any objective observer that never had exposure to our societies need to villainize the guy selling $100 of pot down the street to buy an xbox and perpetuate the thing that is so painfully obviously broken would laugh at how absurd the whole thing is.

Hundreds of thousands of people have jobs, sure, but hundreds of thousands, if not more, have died as a result of this idiotic need we have to police the things people put in their bodies.

Our justice system is fundamentally prejudiced and broken. There's a reason it's the wealthy who are found innocent. It's because they can afford to actually fight back. Legal council and things you need to prove your innocence and prevent yourself from being incarcerated shouldn't cost money to begin with.

But nothing pisses me off more than the farcical "war on drugs". It's a joke. A joke that's caused millions of people to lose their freedom for absolutely nothing.

Many people out on the streets right now are pieces of shit. I fail to see what purpose this "reminder" serves.

Honestly it reads like "Yea sure innocent people might be killed by the death penalty, but they might still be pieces of shit so it's okay if they're killed."

Which is a horrible viewpoint.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Is sentencing people to life in a cage instead of death row such a terrible price to pay to prevent the occasional execution of an innocent person?

Angelus Errare said:
Honestly it reads like "Yea sure innocent people might be killed by the death penalty, but they might still be pieces of shit so it's okay if they're killed."

I can see how it looks like that way. But what I'm saying is that most of the people who are on death row deserve to be there anyway for the sum of all their other crimes.

Is sentencing people to life in a cage instead of death row such a terrible price to pay to prevent the occasional execution of an innocent person?

To me, a life in prison would be a more harsh penalty. I'm not a fan of the death penalty since there's not any hard evidence that it affects crime rates.
I just find it funny that the NeoGAF hivemind seem to think that if a person is doing time on death row and is not actually guilty of the crime he is there for, he is real life John Coffey.

And OT, but I have no problem with society getting rid of criminals who use other people (in a direct way, repeteadly and without remorse) for their own winnings. So for me, the death penalty discussion is redundant.

We might as well discuss dickcheese flavored lollipops.

edit: Where I live I think our justice system works fine. It's not like in USA where the trial seems to be a fucking joke. A popularity contest with jurors deciding the outcome.

TheYanger

He's too poor to afford good repressentation.

I think that's one of the biggest crises facing the criminal justice system today, not enough funding for public defenders.

You gotta remember that the state has vast powers of discovery and investigation. They have a police force, internal experts and the like.

If you want to bring your own experts, you have to pay, since public defenders don't have enough resources. Moreover, public defenders are overworked, which can affect the quality of their work.

It's David versus Goliath, but this time Goliath wins most of the time.

Honestly, I can't disagree. I'm actually for the death penalty, but there is a big issue in the quality of representation for most public defenders. They've got a lot on their plates and I don't mean it necessarily as a knock on them, but it's glaring how bad the results can be.

I was on a jury earlier this year for two men accused of murder (and a third who was accused of only the conspiracy aspect). The evidence was weak as fuck, and while I still remain convinced about what I think happened the reality was that we eventually found them both not guilty because the prosecution did a really poor job. That said, all of the things that showed how poor the prosecution was? That was a result of myself and a couple of others in the jury deliberation room. The defense put up an anemic effort when it only would have taken a few deductions to really start to tear down the prosecution.

To me, it was sobering to consider that for many juries it probably would have been exceptionally easy to just go for guilty, that's how bad the defense was. In fact, the second jury (for the third defendant who was separately ruled on and thus had another jury, but 95% of the evidence was the same) found their guy guilty within a couple of hours and he killed himself in prison the next day. I'm probably rambling a bit at this point but it's still very surreal - the defense had an easy job (in my eyes) in regards to proving how weak the evidence was, and they botched it. How often does shit like that happen?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Honestly, I can't disagree. I'm actually for the death penalty, but there is a big issue in the quality of representation for most public defenders. They've got a lot on their plates and I don't mean it necessarily as a knock on them, but it's glaring how bad the results can be.

I was on a jury earlier this year for two men accused of murder (and a third who was accused of only the conspiracy aspect). The evidence was weak as fuck, and while I still remain convinced about what I think happened the reality was that we eventually found them both not guilty because the prosecution did a really poor job. That said, all of the things that showed how poor the prosecution was? That was a result of myself and a couple of others in the jury deliberation room. The defense put up an anemic effort when it only would have taken a few deductions to really start to tear down the prosecution.

To me, it was sobering to consider that for many juries it probably would have been exceptionally easy to just go for guilty, that's how bad the defense was. In fact, the second jury (for the third defendant who was separately ruled on and thus had another jury, but 95% of the evidence was the same) found their guy guilty within a couple of hours and he killed himself in prison the next day. I'm probably rambling a bit at this point but it's still very surreal - the defense had an easy job (in my eyes) in regards to proving how weak the evidence was, and they botched it. How often does shit like that happen?

And yet... you are for it

I can see how it looks like that way. But what I'm saying is that most of the people who are on death row deserve to be there anyway for the sum of all their other crimes.

If someone is on death row and they're innocent of the murder charge that put them there in the first place no amount of "other crimes" warrant the death penalty. Like if all it takes is having done multiple crimes to be put on death row then holy fucking shit a good 2/3 of the US prison population would be death row bound.

You don't just add up a bunch of lesser crimes and go "well Joe, you got arrested 8 times for selling marijuana, and then you stole a car. This last crime of stealing $1,000 worth of clothes puts your total number of crimes at 10 and I hereby sentence you to death!"

commedieu

Banned

To me, a life in prison would be a more harsh penalty. I'm not a fan of the death penalty since there's not any hard evidence that it affects crime rates.
I just find it funny that the NeoGAF hivemind seem to think that if a person is doing time on death row and is not actually guilty of the crime he is there for, he is real life John Coffey.

And OT, but I have no problem with society getting rid of criminals who use other people (in a direct way, repeteadly and without remorse) for their own winnings. So for me, the death penalty discussion is redundant.

We might as well discuss dickcheese flavored lollipops.

edit: Where I live I think our justice system works fine. It's not like in USA where the trial seems to be a fucking joke. A popularity contest with jurors deciding the outcome.

The justice system doesn't work in the usa.. it's a joke as you noted. Which is why killing people based on a joke system isn't a good route.

Coffey or not, humans don't need to be held in inhumane conditions, or psychologically tortured in private prisons for profit. Not when the usa tries to be a moral authority. No one deserves the treatment in usa prisons. Their penalty is time. That's all. And it should be rehabilitation but it isn't. I'm tired of this method. Because it isn't effective at all, and creates more revolving criminals that don't contribute to society and kill people on their scheduled return trip.

It literally doesn't work. Usa prisons. Innocent people aside. We have to have working prisons before we get to the state killing you. Death penalty is for a mature system. We dont have that.

Since its broken.. any number of innocent people is enough to warrant change.

If someone is on death row and they're innocent of the murder charge that put them there in the first place no amount of "other crimes" warrant the death penalty. Like if all it takes is having done multiple crimes to be put on death row then holy fucking shit a good 2/3 of the US prison population would be death row bound.

Well, if you have been in prison repeteadly (for violent crimes or sexual crimes) I would have no problem just throwing them all in an incinerator.

edit: Hell! Think about all the resources and living areas we could use for immigrants. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The justice system doesn't work in the usa.. it's a joke as you noted. Which is why killing people based on a joke system isn't a good route.

Coffey or not, humans don't need to be held in inhumane conditions, or psychologically tortured in private prisons for profit. Not when the usa tries to be a moral authority. No one deserves the treatment in usa prisons. Their penalty is time. That's all. And it should be rehabilitation but it isn't. I'm tired of this method. Because it isn't effective at all, and creates more revolving criminals that don't contribute to society and kill people on their scheduled return trip.

It literally doesn't work. Usa prisons. Innocent people aside. We have to have working prisons before we get to the state killing you. Death penalty is for a mature system. We dont have that.

Since its broken.. any number of innocent people is enough to warrant change.

I see your point. But why not try to repair the problem from the other end? Is the jury system with famous defenders costing millions such a big market that they just can't take it away? Or is it because it's pretty much a bastardized version of the constitution?

1-4% of innocent people being sentenced to death is OK to someone. Killing INNOCENT people is ok to a poster here. I hope he just got caught in obtuse argumentation to win the debate because such views are borderline psychopathic (no dude, you are not being "rational and objective").

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Most people are making moral, rather than strictly legal, judgements when making comparisons between the implementation of capital punishment and murder. When the very evidence used to convict and execute is called into question then there can be no assessment that such executions were 'lawful.' This is more than enough to engender doubt that our legal standards are good enough for such condemnation, and that allowing the status quo to continue until we theoretically start getting it right is unconscionable.

The four attributes of a lawful execution I identified serve just as well to distinguish it from murder in a moral sense as in a legal sense. The act that triggered the government's response, as well as the government's purpose in responding with the death penalty, and the arduous process of imposing the death penalty, all make a lawful execution different in kind, morally, from simple murder.

I agree that government agents lying about the evidence taints the entire proceeding.

That you can't add another criterion to the notion of "certainty" since human fallibility necessarily means we can make mistakes in what we classify as certain. The reason I brought up mitochondrial DNA is because it's the perfect example of this. Scientists back then were just as certain of the capacity of mitochondrial DNA to be unique to a person as they are that regular DNA is unique to a person nowadays. We know now that mitochondrial DNA has at best 50% chance og being accurate despite people actually being convicted via mitochondrial dna evidence. "Certainty" is a function of what humans believe they can be confident about, but we know, based on historical evidence, that what humans can be really confident about are also things we can be really wrong, rendering the whole notion of various certainty classes of "beyond reasonable doubt" moot.

"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is not synonymous with "certainty." It excludes doubts that are not based in reason, such as speculative doubts or merely possible doubts. So, there's clearly a degree of certainty that is higher than it--one that would not be satisfied if any speculative doubts or merely possible doubts remained. Blecker (whom I referred to in my initial post in this thread) describes his preferred standard as follows:

Before we sentence a defendant to life without parole, and especially before we condemn him to die, I would require a higher burden of persuasion than proof beyond a reasonable doubt. A jury should have no nagging doubts, however unreasonable. Before they sentence a person to die, a jury should be convinced beyond any residual doubt that he did it, and also be convinced “to a moral certainty” that he deserves to die.

That's a standard I could get behind. Though I said that 1-4% of those sentenced to death being innocent is "not especially troubling," naturally it would be preferable that there be fewer--particularly if that can be accomplished without unduly increasing the risk of letting a guilty person get away. I think that can be, by establishing one standard for guilt of a crime for which the death penalty is sought, and a higher standard before the death penalty may be imposed.

This is another one of those moments where people try to pretend there isn't wide consensus on an issue by pointing to the few studies that even simply say it's inconclusive let alone beneficial.

This is 88% believing this. The experts in the field, asked to answer based on the empirical research what they believe is true on this "controversial" subject. This is the equivalent of saying there's a controversy among climate change scientists. There is no controversy, just wide eyed crazies wishing harder than they've ever done that the majority of the evidence stops proving them wrong. We have a billion real world examples of countries like this, and we have the studies of which the majority agree.

This is nothing but an appeal to authority. "I don't have actual evidence to support my case, so I'll just point to the number of experts who agree with me!" Worse, it's an appeal to deeply flawed authority. The 94 criminologists polled do not constitute a random sample of all criminologists, nor even just of the members of the American Society of Criminologists. Instead, they were hand-picked by the authors on the following basis:

Radelet & Lacock said:
To shed light on this dispute, we drew up a list in mid-2008 of every living person who (1) was a Fellow in the American Society of Criminology (ASC), (2) had won the ASC’s Sutherland Award, the highest award given by that organization for contributions to criminological theory, or (3) was a president of the ASC between 1997 and the present.

In effect, when the authors of your study say that "88.2% of the polled criminologists do not believe that the death penalty is a deterrent," they're literally talking about 67 people associated with this one organization, and nobody else. And given that your authors don't really explain why they chose the methodology they did, we're left with the very real possibility that they chose it because they knew ahead of time what those specific 94 people believed.

And the "wide eyed crazies" you disparage include the National Academy of Sciences' Committee on Deterrence and the Death Penalty, as noted in the PolitiFact article I linked to earlier. The NAS study concluded:

The committee concludes that research to date on the effect of capital punishment on homicide is not informative about whether capital punishment decreases, increases, or has no effect on homicide rates. Therefore, the committee recommends that these studies not be used to inform deliberations requiring judgments about the effect of the death penalty on homicide. Consequently, claims that research demonstrates that capital punishment decreases or increases the homicide rate by a specified amount or has no effect on the homicide rate should not influence policy judgments about capital punishment.

(Here's a critique of the NAS study by death penalty proponent John Lott, should anyone be interested.)

So, again, revenge. As I said. Bloodlust. There's no such thing as a "punishment fitting the crime" if it harms society at large to do it. Society did not agree to those terms.

Blecker distinguishes between revenge and retribution in the following manner:

Opponents wrongly equate retribution and revenge, because they both would inflict pain and suffering on those who have inflicted pain and suffering on us.

Whereas revenge knows no bounds, retribution must be limited, proportional and appropriately directed: The retributive punishment fits the crime. We must never allow our satisfaction at doing justice to deteriorate into sadistic revenge.

You can buy it or not, but you should at least be honest enough to reckon with your opponents' arguments rather than glossing over them in your haste to win an Internet argument.

And I'm completely at a loss at your "society did not agree to those terms." I mean, society enacted the laws that created those terms. As with your definition of "experts" earlier, your definition of "society" is woefully underinclusive. You mean just you.

So your answer is "sure i mean it may bankrupt some small towns, but it doesn't have to - instead the entire state should have to take on the burden of a demonstrably failed policy!"

No, my answer is that you're complaining about an incidental problem in the existing death-penalty regime. There's nothing inherent in the death penalty that requires small towns to go bankrupt trying to enforce it. Restructure the funding mechanism, and your complaint about insolvency is resolved. Put differently, yours is not a complaint about the death penalty, but about how the justice system is funded.

No innocent deaths are acceptable, even if the current measurement is in the 90% that's just because of what we're currently able to measure. Anti-capital punishment sentiment is pessimistic about that success rate going up, or even staying the same.

Dude. Come on, seriously?

Try to put yourself in the shoes of a wrongly convicted person in the death chamber. It's horrifying to think about.

1-4% of people sentenced to death being innocent is an OK margin of error to a guy in this thread. I guess that confirms the "gotta break a few eggs" joke on the first page.

It is OK to destroy hundreds of lives over a few decades to get revenge on some bad people. It is OK to commit the gravest violation of an innocent life, to strip them of the very right to live, so we can feel like we got the bad guy in some other cases.

It doesn't even have value as a detterent. Just fucking pointless.

I'm not even going to get to the heart of the monstrous comment you made literally saying it's perfectly acceptable if people's entire life, liberty and pursuit of happiness is eviscerated in the name of disgusting, petty bloodlust. Truly outrageous. Like "oh statistically it's not that bad, I mean that's about the margin of error I'd expect from a well-oiled killing machine!" I mean, the fuck? What can even be added to this shit?

These are largely emotional appeals rather than logical arguments. Any human institution will include errors. Many of those errors will result in death. The question is not merely whether there will be deadly errors, but whether the cost of deadly errors is outweighed by the benefits of whatever is being done. Here, the benefits are: (1) sparing future victims of (i) a recidivist or (ii) a criminal who would be otherwise deterred (which remains a possibility not contradicted by the evidence, on balance); (2) doing justice by imposing a punishment that fits particularly heinous crimes; (3) providing an orderly process through which society's bloodlust can be channeled, while providing protections to the accused against that bloodlust; and (4) providing personal closure to the family and friends of the victims of particularly heinous crimes.

In any event, if your primary concern is that the innocent are being put to death, but not that the guilty are being put to death, then the solution would be raise the standard of proof necessary to impose the death penalty, or otherwise make it more difficult to do so, and not to abolish the death penalty altogether.

1-4% of innocent people being sentenced to death is OK to someone. Killing INNOCENT people is ok to a poster here. I hope he just got caught in obtuse argumentation to win the debate because such views are borderline psychopathic (no dude, you are not being "rational and objective").

See above. (I even did you the favor of quoting you so you'd easily know your comment was being discussed.)

Could you please provide evidence that the death penalty doesn't deter crime, and that a large number of people on death row are innocent?

I would rather zero guilty people died than 300 to 400 posthumously exonerated people.

He provided a link to a study that stated approximately 4.1 percent of people on death row would eventually be exonerated.

Metaphoreus

"It's never gonna happen to me so who gives a shit"

It's a common mindset among certain groups of people. Not surprised that poster said it. Not surprised at all.

This isn't my reasoning. And please keep all personal attacks to yourself.

EDIT: I finally read Amir0x's 4.1% article. The 4.1% relates to false convictions, not the number of executed inmates who were innocent. The author's "do not believe" that 4.1% of executed convicts were actually innocent. At most, they speculate that "with an error rate at trial over 4%, it is all but certain that several of the 1,320 defendants executed since 1977 were innocent." Several.

What a headache I could've avoided if I just remembered to double-check the information I was presented before relying on it.

2ND EDIT: Given the above, I'd like to clarify my position. I'm not especially troubled by an erroneous conviction rate of 1-4%, since a success rate of 96-99% is consistent with the standard of proof at trial. But, given the post-conviction opportunities for review of a death sentence, I would be troubled by an erroneous execution rate as high as that. I forgot to factor in such opportunities before, effectively equating an erroneous conviction with an erroneous execution. I apologize for the error.

I still think that some erroneous executions can be tolerated based on the benefits conferred by the death penalty, but I won't venture to consider what number would be too high. Suffice to say that, with few enough that the number is a matter of speculation rather than evidence, the too-high number probably hasn't been met in the real world.

I still think that some erroneous executions can be tolerated based on the benefits conferred by the death penalty, but I won't venture to consider what number would be too high. Suffice to say that, with few enough that the number is a matter of speculation rather than evidence, the too-high number probably hasn't been met in the real world.

The problem with that though is that, if the Death Penalty is used for those that kill, then we as a society deserve the death penalty because we have killed innocent people.

You keep mentioning these benefits, but there is no agreement on them and no proof they are actually benefits.

And which benefits would those be?

Metaphoreus

And which benefits would those be?

I already mentioned this:

Here, the benefits are: (1) sparing future victims of (i) a recidivist or (ii) a criminal who would be otherwise deterred (which remains a possibility not contradicted by the evidence, on balance); (2) doing justice by imposing a punishment that fits particularly heinous crimes; (3) providing an orderly process through which society's bloodlust can be channeled, while providing protections to the accused against that bloodlust; and (4) providing personal closure to the family and friends of the victims of particularly heinous crimes.

dabig2

You know what really deters violent crime?

- Education
- Not living in poverty
- a fair justice system
- a fair enforcement system
- not jailing fathers/mothers for engaging in what should be a public health concern, not criminal

I know, crazy, unachievable, unworkable concepts. Might as well load us all up with guns, privatize prisons, and execute a few innocents to prove you're tough on crime. So you know, status quo...

Ogodei

Why is it barbaric and fucked up? Why is murdering someone who murders wrong? What moral imperative do we have to allow people who have no chance at rehabilitation to live? Why is it more cruel to kill someone who's killed before and might kill again than it is to leave them locked up in a cell? What makes their life worth enough to continue to keep them alive? What benefit do we get as a society by not killing someone who kills for fun? What about the victims of these people - if this person does escape despite being locked up, why is this murderer's life more important than those that they might kill? How many people does it take for a person to kill before we say they no longer have the right to live? What happens if someone continues to kill in prison? If they have life in prison and they kill, what further punishment can and/or should they receive? We've already given them life in prison without possibility of parole - do we just give them a slap on the wrist and say "bad boy. Don't do it again."?

When do we value the life of the innocent person over the life of a person who murders? What makes the life of the murderer so valuable that we wouldn't dare think about taking his? Saying "it's barbaric" isn't an answer. There's humane ways of killing someone (IE lethal injection with the right combination of drugs). What makes someone who murders' life valuable enough to continue to allow them to live? Who determines that their life is valuable enough to continue? Why is their life that valuable when they obviously don't value others' lives?

Society doesn't have the right to deprive others of their rights, including the right to life. In keeping with this maxim, imprisonment is purely for the benefit of safety, to remove a person from society because they have proven dangerous to the rights of others through their inability to follow law. Rehabilitation should follow as a goal in order to restore the rights of incarcerated individuals as quickly as is safely possible.

Now, there could be a case for a "right to die" as inherent in the right to life, though this is much more controversial. Given the conditions endured by a life-term prisoner, they could *elect* to be executed, if they felt they did not want to live such a life, and it would save the state money, although such a system could doubtlessly be abused.

Hypron

People jumping through hoops to convince themselves it's okay to kill people to satisfy their hard on for punishment, disregarding innocents being killed by the same system are just fucking disgusting.

I'm mighty glad I've never lived in a country that had this bullshit. The US states that still have capital punishment are literally living 50+ years in the past.

Metaphoreus

And your evidence that these are concrete benefits?
2, 3 and 4 are appeals to emotion, btw.

I'm not sure you understand the phrase "appeal to emotion." Justice is not an emotion, but a moral good--a moral duty, in fact. Legal proceedings are superior to vigilantism for a number of reasons not rooted in emotions: it removes emotions, as much as possible, from enforcement of the law; it ensures, to the best of our ability, that the guilty are really guilty; it prevents an ever-escalating war of all against all; it teaches that peaceful resolution of even the most important questions is possible. Personal closure for the families and close friends of victims is in part an appeal to assuage their emotional turmoil, and in part serves some of the same interests that legal proceedings do, particularly by reducing or removing the emotional drive to revenge.

As for evidence, a dead person can't be a recidivist. Numerous studies have shown that the death penalty has a deterrent effect, with findings as high as 18 lives saved by each execution. The evidence on balance does not refute the deterrent effect of the death penalty. About justice, see here, here, or basically any book that touches on ethics. Regarding the superiority of legal proceedings to vigilantism, see Hobbes, Locke, the historical record in general, or, what the hell, The Dark Knight. Regarding closure, I'll admit the empirical backing appears sparse (though I haven't done much beyond clicking through Google results). Here's a study (beginning on page 61 of the PDF) of newspaper articles about the family members of victims that finds that 66% of the family members quoted expressed a sense of closure or that justice had been. 19% expressed that the execution did not represent closure or justice. Of course, the biggest problem with that study is that its research is dependent on what is said to, and reported in, the media, rather than directly asked of the family members. Another study (PDF) found that family members of victims where the death penalty was imposed in Texas tended to have worse mental health than family members of victims where the penalty was LWOP in Minnesota over time. The study attributed that to the greater lack of control the Texas family members felt over the lengthy appeals process. But that study covered the period from conviction on, and had information on only 4 executions (and 1 suicide) and the response to those executions (and suicide) of only 5 family members. The authors caution:

Armour & Umbreit said:
The inquiry is limited by the fact that qualitative findings cannot be generalized beyond survivors who participated in this research or the socio-historic time when they were interviewed. Moreover, because the two states selected for comparison differ significantly, it is possible that the state differences noted in the findings reflect regional variations rather than differences in the UPS.

As a result of their findings, the authors suggest that people learn to think of "closure" differently, as

Armour & Umbreit said:
a regained sense of control and that it be considered a sense-making process, synonymous with meaning-making, rather than a destination.

Though I only skimmed the study, the authors don't seem to believe that their suggestions are dependent on abandoning the death penalty and its lengthy appeals process.

disregarding innocents being killed

Again, the evidence that innocents are being killed is so sparse that the authors of a study finding a 4.1% false conviction rate could only guess at how many innocents had been executed over a thirty year span. Their guess was "several," code for, "beats me."

Hypron

Again, the evidence that innocents are being killed is so sparse that the authors of a study finding a 4.1% false conviction rate could only guess at how many innocents had been executed over a thirty year span. Their guess was "several," code for, "beats me."

Yeah sure the justice system is perfect and no innocent person has ever been executed. And even if there were just a couple, fuck those guys anyway I want my state-sanctioned murder.

Metaphoreus

Yeah sure the justice system is perfect and no innocent person has ever been executed. And even if there were just a couple, fuck those guys anyway I want my state-sanctioned murder.

You mischaracterize my argument. You're treating the imposition of death as a punishment as an end in itself. But that's a strawman. The imposition of death as a punishment is a means to the ends I've identified before as the benefits conferred by the death penalty. It is those benefits--that is, those ends--which must be balanced against the risk that some innocents will be wrongfully executed.

By analogy, imagine I had just made a case for war aimed at overthrowing some dictator. The benefits I name might be (1) it is morally good to assist the oppressed residents of the dictator's nation in achieving freedom from the dictator; (2) overthrowing the dictator might save lives; and (3) overthrowing the dictator will enable us to craft a more stable, rule-of-law nation in place of his dictatorship. Your analogous response to this would be: "Yeah but war kills a lot of innocents. But I guess fuck those guys I want my state-sanctioned murder." That's not responsive to my argument--it's a child's tantrum to avoid it.

Hypron

You mischaracterize my argument. You're treating the imposition of death as a punishment as an end in itself. But that's a strawman. The imposition of death as a punishment is a means to the ends I've identified before as the benefits conferred by the death penalty. It is those benefits--that is, those ends--which must be balanced against the risk that some innocents will be wrongfully executed.

By analogy, imagine I had just made a case for war aimed at overthrowing some dictator. The benefits I name might be (1) it is morally good to assist the oppressed residents of the dictator's nation in achieving freedom from the dictator; (2) overthrowing the dictator might save lives; and (3) overthrowing the dictator will enable us to craft a more stable, rule-of-law nation in place of his dictatorship. Your analogous response to this would be: "Yeah but war kills a lot of innocents. But I guess fuck those guys I want my state-sanctioned murder." That's not responsive to my argument--it's a child's tantrum to avoid it.

The way I look at it is that almost every other western country is doing just fine (if not a lot better than the US) without the death penalty. The so-called benefits of killing criminals are not worth in any way, shape or form giving your judicial system the power to kill citizens, especially since no system is ever going to be perfect and you will be risking innocent people's very lives.

I feel like the death sentence is an abhorrent practice that has no place in modern society, which is why I feel strongly about it.

Why are you lot trying to argue rationally versus an irrational position? It's impossible to change someone's mind if they base their opinion on gut rather than brain.

Ikael

Death penalty is ineffective for anything other than satisfying desire for revenge I fear. Even with a margin of error as low as 1%, we're still killing of hundreds of undoubtely innoncent people with our tax dollars using a system (justice) that it was meant to protect them in the first place. It is twisted as fuck.

As for the "no way is this man innoncent" cases, you can always argue that lifetime in prision is in many ways a fate worse than death. The only cases where I can see death penalty justified is in cases of treason during wartime and the extremely rare genocidal dictator that you might aprehend alive, since it is the only two cases where it might act as an effective "message"
Pol Pot should have ended his days hanging from a tree, but there's few people on Earth that deserves that fate, fortunately

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
providing an orderly process through which society's bloodlust can be channeled

Holy shit.

Can we just throw you into the Colosseum and watch you fight lions instead, Metaphoreus? Help channel that bloodlust your fucking self.

What a disturbing statement

Metaphoreus

Holy shit.

Can we just throw you into the Colosseum and watch you fight lions instead, Metaphoreus? Help channel that bloodlust your fucking self.

What a disturbing statement

I'm sorry the world isn't all unicorns and cotton candy, GaimeGuy.

Been down this road, buddy. WASTE OF TIME!!

Anyway, did we get an update besides the news of a last minute stay yet?

I think the stay lasts until the end of the month, so we'll probably have to wait until then to get more news.

cameron

Glossip is scheduled to be executed this Wednesday.

Reuters: "Oklahoma court denies motion to halt execution of Glossip"
The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals on Monday denied a request to halt the execution planned for later this week of Richard Glossip, whose lawyers said they had uncovered new evidence that points to his innocence.

The court said it found the evidence was neither new nor compelling enough to merit postponing the execution set for Wednesday. On Sept. 16, it issued a two-week stay hours before his scheduled execution and set the new date of Sept. 30 for the lethal injection.

TheGuardian: "Oklahoma inmate scheduled to die on Wednesday after appeals rejected"
On Monday, the court ruled 3-2 that the new evidence – including affidavits arguing that Glossip’s alleged accomplice was the actual murderer and mastermind of the killing and had recanted accusations against Glossip – did not significantly change the narrative of events on which Glossip was convicted.

“This evidence merely builds upon evidence previously presented to this court,” Judge David Lewis wrote in his opinion.
“This case splintered the court of criminal appeals – a 3-2 vote. Two judges believed a further stay of execution and a hearing on innocence was required on the facts. We should all be deeply concerned about an execution under such circumstances,” said Glossip attorney Donald Knight.

“We will continue to fight for Richard Glossip,” Prejean wrote on Twitter.

In his dissent, presiding judge Clancy Smith wrote that given the evidence presented, he would grant a 60-day stay and order a new evidentiary hearing. “While finality of judgment is important,” he wrote, “the state has no interest in executing an actually innocent man.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom