• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Man Who’s Probably Innocent Will Die Today, And Lawyers Can’t Save Him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glossips going to get killed and then years later the man that got the lesser sentence is going to come forward and admit that he lied and take responsibility for the whole thing and he will get to live a full life.

cntr

Banned
The point raised in that quote went pretty solidly over your head.
I'm referring to Metaphoreus's implication that it means enough of them are gulity to permit the death penalty, by restating it with the connonation flipped around.

Hazmat

I'm referring to Metaphoreus's implication that it means enough of them are gulity to permit the death penalty, by restating it with the connonation flipped around.

Apologies then, it seemed like you were implying that the response to "some of them were innocent" was "some of them were guilty". It's probably too late to be posting.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Late response, but let me rephrase your quote:

There is no way to tell how many of the over 1000 people executed since 1976 may also have been guilty.

No. As I pointed out before:

And "there is no way to tell how many of the people executed since the '70s may have been innocent" is a euphemistic way of saying, "We can't prove any of them were." They've already been proven to be guilty, after all.

Anyhow, for those interested, here's a link to the order from the Court of Criminal Appeals. The main opinion begins on page 8 of the linked document.

Toxi

Banned
I already mentioned this:

(3) providing an orderly process through which society's bloodlust can be channeled,
I'd be amused by how you sound like a comic book villain, but it's just fucking disgusting when we're talking about a system that has actually killed and will continue to kill innocent people in my country. Metaphoreus, you do not want the death penalty to channel "society's" bloodlust. You want it to satiate your own.

I'd be amused by how you sound like a comic book villain, but it's just fucking disgusting when we're talking about a system that has actually killed and will continue to kill innocent people in my country. .

Don't you understand?! By having the death penalty it totes defers others from killing because their bloodlust is sated due to random people being killed by the law!!

Totes makes sense...totes.

TheYanger

Truly fucked up. Imagine it was someone you loved walking to their death for a crime they didn't commit. Is that possible for you?

Yes? I would be extremely upset that that was happening. I would be upset if they were spending life in prison too though. Don't mistake pragmatism for lack of empathy. The problem is in the defense as I outlined in the post I was quoted in, not the notion of the death penalty.

Just my two cents.

Tadaima

I cannot believe they are moving forward with this man's execution when the decisions of judges are divided and the evidence against him is not 100% sound.

Toxi

Banned
Yes? I would be extremely upset that that was happening. I would be upset if they were spending life in prison too though. Don't mistake pragmatism for lack of empathy.
"I'm totally pragmatic. That's why I think killing someone who may later be cleared by evidence is a better idea than imprisoning them."

Chichikov

Yes? I would be extremely upset that that was happening. I would be upset if they were spending life in prison too though. Don't mistake pragmatism for lack of empathy. The problem is in the defense as I outlined in the post I was quoted in, not the notion of the death penalty.

Just my two cents.
Even if you have no moral issues with the death penalty, surely you can see in case of a mistake you can overturn a life prison is sentence, but you can't bring someone you executed back to life, right?

TheYanger

So fucking awful. Anyone who can hear about a case like this and still support the death penalty is mentally ill.

By that logic you cannot support anything that has ever failed. I can't support driving because you can kill someone doing it even correctly.

Remember, even if this man were not getting the death penalty (and obviously he shouldn't, the issue is that this isn't being stopped in the face of absolute fact of his innocence) he would be condemned to prison for life instead.

You guys act as though the alternative is a happy life of freedom, but when the process is fucked like that it isn't going to happen either way. He should not die, but he also shouldn't be in prison at all.\

Even if you have no moral issues with the death penalty, surely you can see in case of a mistake you can overturn a life prison is sentence, but you can't bring someone you executed back to life, right?

Obviously. But if he were going to be released he would also not be executed.

It's funny how Gaf tends to work sometimes, people will come and decry the death penalty but then also run around talking about how George Zimmerman is a piece of shit that should die or what not, it's all two sides of the same coin. You accept the fallability of the system and work to correct that, I don't believe the punishment is incorrect I believe the fact that representation is so poor and that someone can get off in the face of clear evidence, or be sentenced to death even after it is clear that they are innocent, is the real issue.

Again, I don't believe we can ever get 100% accuracy, but I think the system should be flexible in how quickly it can adapt to new evidence (for or against) in a case instead of being steadfast with the original verdict. Until that happens you're going to have this same fucked up situation either way - death penalty or not the man's life would be ruined.

Toxi

Banned
By that logic you cannot support anything that has ever failed. I can't support driving because you can kill someone doing it even correctly.

Remember, even if this man were not getting the death penalty (and obviously he shouldn't, the issue is that this isn't being stopped in the face of absolute fact of his innocence) he would be condemned to prison for life instead.

You guys act as though the alternative is a happy life of freedom, but when the process is fucked like that it isn't going to happen either way. He should not die, but he also shouldn't be in prison at all.
Again, you can't overturn the sentence of a man who is dead.

Hazmat

If you can't see the difference between something bad happening because of an accident and something bad happening because of bad policy then I don't know what to say.

You guys act as though the alternative is a happy life of freedom, but when the process is fucked like that it isn't going to happen either way. He should not die, but he also shouldn't be in prison at all.

It's rare to see a person so determined to bury their head in the sand.

lednerg

If he's dead, then he has no chance of being released from prison alive. This should be obvious to you.

TheYanger

Jesus christ never seen so much green. For the record, I don't think this guy should die - fucking obviously. It's clear as day that he is innocent. I was responding to someone to quoted me over a week ago about a jury duty trial I was on and my experience in the ineptitude of public defenders - I think that is a very real flaw. I don't think the penalty is flawed. Those inept defenders will get their clients fucked regardless of what the penalty is.

If he's dead, then he has no chance of being released from prison alive. This should be obvious to you.

And yet when he's not dead and it's clear that he is innocent he is STILL not being released or having the process stopped. That is what I'm saying is the issue.

Jesus christ never seen so much green. For the record, I don't think this guy should die - fucking obviously. It's clear as day that he is innocent. I was responding to someone to quoted me over a week ago about a jury duty trial I was on and my experience in the ineptitude of public defenders - I think that is a very real flaw. I don't think the penalty is flawed. Those inept defenders will get their clients fucked regardless of what the penalty is.

Any hope of exoneration ends the moment you end somebody's life.

Tadaima

You guys act as though the alternative is a happy life of freedom, but when the process is fucked like that it isn't going to happen either way. He should not die, but he also shouldn't be in prison at all.\

The alternative is a chance of freedom. Death is terminal, prison is not.

i think the death penalty should be reserved for the ultimate baddies(as in serial killer/mass murder/etc) with damning evidence...

not shit where theres a chance someones innocent for one murder. just my opinion of course

Metaphoreus

I'd be amused by how you sound like a comic book villain, but it's just fucking disgusting when we're talking about a system that has actually killed and will continue to kill innocent people in my country. Metaphoreus, you do not want the death penalty to channel "society's" bloodlust. You want it to satiate your own.

The fuck comic books do you read?

Purported Comic Book Villain said:
Yes, now I shall detail my evil master plan: When someone is believed, based on probable cause, to have committed a particularly heinous crime, I will send my police to detain that person! They'll read the accused his or her Miranda rights and provide him or her with an attorney if he or she can't afford one! The police won't be allowed to abuse him or her! And if the police discovered useful evidence against the accused by means of an illegal search or seizure, they won't be allowed to use it at trial to prove guilt! Then, we'll have a trial before a neutral judge and a jury of 12 of that person's peers! If those peers unanimously conclude that the evidence establishes guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, then they will convict the accused! HAHAHAHAHA! Then the jury will get to decide what sentence to impose from a list of sentences prescribed by law, and only after considering the mitigating factors alleged by the convicted criminal!

And THEN! Then the convict will have an opportunity to appeal his conviction and sentence to another group of neutral judges. Those judges will ensure that the evidence presented at trial was sufficient to support the conviction and the sentence, that proper procedures and rules of evidence were followed by the trial judge, and that the attorney who represented the convict at trial provided sufficient assistance to the convict. If not, then the second group of judges will overturn the conviction, and either return the case back to the trial court for retrial or, in some cases, dismiss it and forbid it from ever being tried again! (I'm so evil!)

If that group of judges decides that everything in the trial was on the up-and-up, then the convict will have the opportunity to request review by yet another group of judges, this one not a part of the state government that convicted the convict! That group of judges will get to ensure that the trial and appeals process comported with basic guarantees of the federal Constitution!

But that's not all! Then, the convict will be able to bring a completely new action challenging his sentence! This challenge could go through as many as six separate sets of neutral judges before the convict will have exhausted his avenues of judicial review!

Even after all that, the convict could still apply to the chief executive of the government for clemency, under which the chief executive simply overturns the death sentence for that convict!

Assuming that doesn't happen, then we'll inject the convict with a chemical intended to render him or her unconscious, followed by a set of chemicals that will end his or her life while in that state of unconsciousness! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This is an attack born out of your emotional reaction to the death penalty. It's akin to complaints about medical professionals using medical terminology in the Planned Parenthood videos. You reject that another side to this argument could possibly exist, so you project your own beliefs on anyone who disagrees, then construct a narrative to explain why they nevertheless support a different conclusion: they're evil.

That's not an argument. It's a personal attack.

Don't you understand?! By having the death penalty it totes defers others from killing because their bloodlust is sated due to random people being killed by the law!!

Totes makes sense...totes.

These strawman arguments add nothing to a discussion. The death penalty doesn't target "random people." It targets people who have been convicted of a particularly heinous crime on the basis of very strong evidence.

But your sarcastic response suggests a useful analogy: in war, it is doubtless that hundreds or thousands of "random" innocent people will die or be seriously injured. But most people would agree that the benefits of war can outweigh the certainty of innocent casualties, and so everybody keeps an army.

Or, here's another analogy: in the U.S., a killing is justified when the killer reasonably believed that the killing was necessary to prevent imminent death or serious bodily injury to him- or herself or a third party. This standard all but guarantees that some innocent people will be killed--i.e., people who were not actually about to kill or seriously harm anyone else--and the law will treat that killing as justified. If you believed that you needed to use lethal force to avoid death or serious bodily injury, would you nevertheless refuse to because it's possible such force was unnecessary?

You might argue that the death penalty doesn't involve an imminent risk of death or serious bodily injury, or whatever it is that you believe can render a war justified despite innocent deaths, but that would miss the point. The point is that, in crafting social policy related to killing wrongdoers, we don't limit our options to only those that cause no innocent deaths. We always have to balance the risk--or the certainty--of innocent deaths against other factors.

cntr

Banned
Metaphoreus, your argument is that the death penalty gets rid of bloodlust.

That is, you are literally arguing from emotion yourself.

Toxi

Banned
The fuck comic books do you read?

This is an attack born out of your emotional reaction to the death penalty. It's akin to complaints about medical professionals using medical terminology in the Planned Parenthood videos. You reject that another side to this argument could possibly exist, so you project your own beliefs on anyone who disagrees, then construct a narrative to explain why they nevertheless support a different conclusion: they're evil.

That's not an argument. It's a personal attack.
Metaphoreus, are you a criminologist? If so, is "channeling society's bloodlust" a serious argument used in your field?

If not, then please stop comparing yourself to professionals and acting like your argument is anything more than an ugly excuse to satiate your own bloodlust.

Metaphoreus

Metaphoreus, your argument is that the death penalty gets rid of bloodlust.

That is, you are literally arguing from emotion yourself.

You completely misunderstand my argument. My argument is that the risk of executing an innocent person can be outweighed by the benefits afforded by the death penalty. Those benefits are:

(1) sparing future victims of (i) a recidivist or (ii) a criminal who would be otherwise deterred (which remains a possibility not contradicted by the evidence, on balance); (2) doing justice by imposing a punishment that fits particularly heinous crimes; (3) providing an orderly process through which society's bloodlust can be channeled, while providing protections to the accused against that bloodlust; and (4) providing personal closure to the family and friends of the victims of particularly heinous crimes.

You're complaining about one subpart (3) of one part (the benefits) of the argument, and you're getting it wrong, to boot. This is not "arguing from emotion;" it's recognizing an emotion and reckoning with it through a lengthy legal process that strips it of its worst excesses.

Metaphoreus, are you a criminologist? If so, is "channeling society's bloodlust" a serious argument used in your field?

If not, then please stop comparing yourself to professionals and acting like your argument is anything more than an ugly excuse to satiate your own bloodlust.

I must have missed the restriction in the TOS that limits discussion to those who are professionals in the pertinent field. Does that restriction disqualify you from asking the question you just asked? I'm going to guess that it does.

This is, again, an emotional attack.

Toxi

Banned
What? You compared my argument against you to those against medical professionals using proper terminology. I pointed out you are neither a professional in this field nor are using the arguments of professionals. Why the fuck are you talking about the TOS?

I used to support the death penalty. Growing up and witnessing how broken our criminal justice system is, and how even more broken it was in the past, I'd have to be naive or stupid to continue to do so.

What? You compared my argument against you to those against medical professionals using proper terminology. I pointed out you are neither a professional in this field nor are using the arguments of professionals. Why the fuck are you talking about the TOS?

He's conflating his appeal to authority with his personal feelings on bloodlust from what I've seen. Calling others emotional when you're stating things like "society needs to kill" is kind of a hoot.

Metaphoreus

You misunderstand the point of the analogy. The analogy is between complaints. You complain at my non-emotional approach to this topic; the people complaining about the way in which people on the Planned Parenthood videos describe abortions and their products are complaining at the latter's non-emotional approach to that topic.

If I were a criminologist wielding the arguments that typified my field, why on earth would I make that point via analogy? I'd say--were I also the sort of person who offers his own credentials to bolster his argument--"I don't know how much you know about criminology (I'm an expert)."

He's conflating his appeal to authority with his personal feelings on bloodlust from what I've seen.

What appeal to authority? And how does one conflate an appeal to authority with personal feelings? I haven't offered any judgment on the moral status of social bloodlust, by the way. I've merely posited that it exists and that the death penalty offers a benefit by satisfying it in a way that protects its targets from its worst excesses.

You completely misunderstand my argument. My argument is that the risk of executing an innocent person can be outweighed by the benefits afforded by the death penalty. Those benefits are:
(1) sparing future victims of (i) a recidivist or (ii) a criminal who would be otherwise deterred (which remains a possibility not contradicted by the evidence, on balance); (2) doing justice by imposing a punishment that fits particularly heinous crimes; (3) providing an orderly process through which society's bloodlust can be channeled, while providing protections to the accused against that bloodlust; and (4) providing personal closure to the family and friends of the victims of particularly heinous crimes.

This is begging the question. It starts by assuming a view of retributive justice that is consistent with the death penalty and then goes, "Look, the death penalty can be justified." This view of retributive justice is itself controversial, and all 4 claims here are very dubious, so acting as if you can just help yourself to them is extremely problematic. Each of these requires substantial argument or empirical support.

While your original point regarding the ability to support the death penalty on the basis of reasoned arguments stands, you're doing a really bad job of showing what that would look like.

MrChom

One day when America finally gets over its violence addiction the rest of the states may get rid of something as barbaric as the state sponsored murder. I'm not sure it will in my lifetime, and I'm pretty sure that as such more innocents will die.

The moment the state decides as part of its justice system to murder one innocent person it ceases to be a justice system, it is no longer dealing with justice, it is dealing with vengeance lashing out at those tangentially related.

cntr

Banned

You're complaining about one subpart (3) of one part (the benefits) of the argument, and you're getting it wrong, to boot. This is not "arguing from emotion;" it's recognizing an emotion and reckoning with it through a lengthy legal process that strips it of its worst excesses.

Alright.

(1) (i) is not true since, you know, these are life sentences. (ii) has been repeatedly demonstrated not to be true; "not contradicted by the evidence" refers to evidence that you rejected as an "appeal to authority", a concept in formal logic that is difficult to apply to the real world.

(2), (3), and (4) are the same thing. "Doing justice [by death]", "channeling bloodlust", "providing closure [through killing the criminal]". All of those are the realization of bloodlust, by any common defintiion. And a realization that does not need to exist, nor should be encouraged even when it exists. Bigotry, mob justice, and vigilantism are expressions of misguided emotion that eglatarian societies have rejected, to name a few.

cameron

U.S. Supreme Court denies final appeal.
su24Zi3.png

http://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/093015zr_886a.pdf

Richard Glossip didn't personally kill Barry Van Treese in 1997. He wasn't even in the room when his former boss was murdered inside an Oklahoma City motel.

But after his final desperate appeal for a stay of execution was denied by the U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday, Glossip will now face death by lethal injection in Oklahoma based almost entirely on the testimony of the man who killed Van Treese.

The Supreme Court denied his call for a stay of execution 8-1. Only Justice Stephen Breyer would have granted the application, according to the one-page court order.

The execution, which had been scheduled for 3 p.m. local time, was briefly delayed as state corrections officials awaited the high court's decision.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-richard-glossip-explainer-20150930-htmlstory.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom