• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Metal Gear Timeline to rule them all - a fan project

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
salute2.gif

Amazing work.

lcap

Incredible, subscribed to see with details the day I finish every metal gear I haven't finished yet.

Liamc723

This is a fantastic timeline. Just read from the beginning up until the end of Ground Zeroes and I'll do it again on Monday night. I want to go into TPP understanding as much as possible.

This is awesome, just read through the whole thing. Definitely pieces the story together with the major points. Thanks for your hard work!

*clicks "Hide Uncertain Canon"*

*MGR still visible*

I like you OP.

But regardless of that, this is still amazing work. A perfect quick refresher. You rock.

*clicks "Hide Uncertain Canon"*

*MGR still visible*

I like you OP.

But regardless of that, this is still amazing work. A perfect quick refresher. You rock.

Kojima confirmed that Rising is canon in an interview ^ It's a bit weird to think it's canon, but it's also kinda cool imho

So Alex, I read everything and it was great.

I would gladly help you and contribute by translating it to French if you'd allow me.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Very good work, enhanced by the fact you included both MPO and Rising. For better or worse, I appreciate when those contributions to the series are acknowledged.

Thanks guys and girls for the contribution and the support! Since few minutes the timeline has been updated with few fixes as well as the inclusion of the Dutch translation :)

1991:

What's the source for this?

I believe this might be indeed a mistake in the entries, I will investigate and if I can't find any source I will remove that part. Thanks for spotting this!

So Alex, I read everything and it was great.

I would gladly help you and contribute by translating it to French if you'd allow me.

As I already mentioned, there are two other people on the French translation. Please, drop me an email, we might need more man-power :) Thank you!

I played 2-4 last year. I had a decent understanding but forgot most of it now.

I also was confused by Peace Walker summaries. Ahh, so much to read before playing TPP.

Thanks for this

Peterthumpa

Only played MGS4 to the end, half of MGS2 and 1 and barely remember then.
Planning to start GZ today to warm up to MGSPP.

Can I just jump the GZ section and keep reading?

Awesome job OP.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Excellent work! Really enjoyed reading it. But there's this bit in the MGS4 ending:
Before pulling the trigger, he is approached by a man pushing another man on a wheelchair.
Technically he did pull the trigger, but he couldn't go through with it.

Oriel

Nicely done. Just don't forget a key date on
June 6th, 1944 when Ocelot is born during the Allied invasions of Normandy.

Awesome job OP.

I believe what happens BEFORE Ground Zeroes is actually more important than what happens afterwards. The events before GZ will help you understand the motivations that drive Big Boss from the biginning until the end. You can perhaps skip Portable Ops, since it is not 100% canon for what Kojima said in an interview.

Excellent work! Really enjoyed reading it. But there's this bit in the MGS4 ending:

Technically he did pull the trigger, but he couldn't go through with it.

You are right, I just felt like it was better to simplify a bit the event, but I might change it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Oriel

Awesome job OP.

Play Peace Walker first. It makes understanding GZ and PP far easier as well as being a cracking and immensely satisfying game.

Having not played a Metal Gear game until MGS3, when IV came out I remember going through the timeline video/app they released on PS3 to get everyone caught up. I don't remember a thing about the history other than I watched it.

This layout is way easier to sift through, sets up timelines perfectly with the game worlds and even answered some questions I've been confused about since I beat MGS4.

Awesome work OP, and thank you!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
PSY・S;176532778 said:
ocelot is everywhere :lol

he's the real star of the franchise
Haha you're right. Dude gets around. Crtl+F hits in the timeline text:

Ocelot = 43
Solid Snake = 43

Meanwhile, Big Boss sittin pretty at 82 hits! That's not even counting any of his other aliases, lol

Top Bottom