• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Metal Gear Timeline to rule them all - a fan project

Chris R

Hot Coldman?

Really???

Guess I'll just unplug my brain, disregard the story and enjoy the gameplay when I get around to MGSV

Awesome work! I'd like to mention that the battle between Kaz and Snake in San Hieronymo should probably be added in order to give context to Kaz's role in mother base. Also, the secret call from
Kaz to Cipher
in Peace Walker. Also that
Kaz is assassinated days before the Shadow Moses incident, speculated to have been done or planned by Liquid

eso76

Played everything besides Portable Ops (and didn't finish PW) and i thought i more or less understood the basics.

was I wrong.

I read all of that, mad respect to OP.
The series needed a closure or a reboot years ago. Badly. Kojima didn't have a choice but to keep adding twists and sub plots to the existing lore and the whole thing grew to become a monstrous nightmare.

In Hideo's shoes, the thought of having to write another chapter to fit in that timeline would probably be enough to make me go out of my mind. Must feel awesome to be free from this at last.

I think i'll just try and enjoy TPP for it's "stand alone" story and not attempt to place the facts in this formidable mess.

hobozero

Had never really seen any screenshots of Metal Gear 2 and wow, I know Roy Campbell was based on Richard Crenna, but this looks like they basically used his photo in the game. Kojima DGAF about likeness rights, does he? ;)

Flunkie

Banned
What about the Metal Gear Acids and Metal Gear: DGN?

I know I know, not canon

MGA games please come to Vita

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I read all of that, mad respect to OP.
The series needed a closure or a reboot years ago. Badly. Kojima didn't have a choice but to keep adding twists and sub plots to the existing lore and the whole thing grew to become a monstrous nightmare.

In Hideo's shoes, the thought of having to write another chapter to fit in that timeline would probably be enough to make me go out of my mind. Must feel awesome to be free from this at last.

MGS4 kinda already felt like that closure no matter what Kojima added prequel wise. I think he's just felt obligated to close the loop with Big Boss as well rather than that huge info unload about his past in MGS4.

Shinigami

Awesome work! I'd like to mention that the battle between Kaz and Snake in San Hieronymo should probably be added in order to give context to Kaz's role in mother base. Also, the secret call from
Kaz to Cipher
in Peace Walker. Also that
Liquid kills Kaz just before the Shadow Moses inciden
t.

Was wondering about Kaz's fate myself as I read this.

Ricky_R

Well I'm ready again to try and grasp whatever the hell is going on in TPP just to forget about it all 3-4 days later, after I finish it.

Thanks for this, it helped me remember a lot of the story in a simple and short way.

BBboy20

Thing is though with Metal Gear 5 being set in 1984, the tech they are using, as if it is 2084! So in Kojima's world of 1984, technology is sooo advanced, that whatever happens, in 1995- 2005, is amateurish by comparison....
Get closer to
Zero,
get closer to 2084 tech?

Chris R

Because of one name? Hmm.

No not because of one name. I've only played MSG 1-4 and will play V at some point, but reading all the extra story bits (and the spoilers from V) doesn't make me want to go back and play all the games I skipped to get a better understanding of the story.

No_Style

Awesome job! Still reading it but I just noticed some minor typos:

1970 - MGS: PO
"Big Boss becomes friends with Roy Campbell"
"Major Zero of transforming FOX into a renegade group"

1974 - Miliraires Sans Frontieres

Sorry :/

Camisado

Great work, I'm really enjoying the read. A small suggestion would be to add some indication as to which game added which bit of information.

For example, during MG2:SS it mentions that the Patriots recovered Big Bosses body and put it in a coma, that information wasn't revealed until later in the series though (I think, I could be wrong here though I'm sure!) And it'd be cool to know when this extra info was injected back into the older stories.

Great work though :)

good stuff. The only thing I have is that the peacewalker/ground zeroes stuff seems more like a summary of what happened in the game rather than a timeline. It doesnt really fit in with what you're going for.

ShutEye

Great work OP. I'm still not sure I understand the series and definitely don't get ocelots motivation but that's okay.

H4r4kiri

Great work OP. I'm still not sure I understand the series and definitely don't get ocelots motivation but that's okay.

I guess Ocelot is a kid of war and thus wants to have eternal peace. The Boss and Big Boss share this dream of a World without corruption and war. Thats why he follows Big Boss in the first place and tries to get control of the Phil legacy. In the Ende the Patriots and the AI are the big factor of war. He want to get rid of them.

Did i get that right ?

Hi everyone and sorry for the radio-silence. I've been extremely busy improving the text and managing the multi-language translation.

I'd like to thank all of you who suggested improvements: right now (at least while the translations are being implemented) I decided not to include additional info as it would mess-up the workflow of all the other volunteers who are helping me translating the website. As soon as the translations are done I will include or remove entries to improve the timeline.

The website is now also available in French, and the following languages are being implemented (German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, Arabic). It's pretty crazy but it's amazing to see fans helping like this!

Thanks to the few of you who also decided to donate via PayPal as it helps covering hosting and development <3

It's mind-blowing to get covered on VG247, I would have never expected anything like this! I'm sure I'll sound boring, but thanks everyone for the love and support!

Alex

Top Bottom