• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A note about Persona 5 Streaming From Atlus

Recall

Someone who chose to watch a Persona 5 stream would know going in that spoilers would be present. This is about making sure you buy the game rather than watch someone else play it.

Altus want that hard earned cash, just seems a bit heavy handed.

This is disgusting and only making their PR surrounding the game even worse. It's blatantly obvious they just want to make sure anyone interested actually buys the game and doesn't watch streams.

Can't wait to see the inevitable Jimquisition on this.

Also can't wait to pick up Persona 5.

Venfayth

This is fucking stupid and backwards. Here you go, guys-from-the-localization-thread. This is what outrage looks like.

I'm just waiting for the posts here that will somehow defend Atlus' actions. Because, of COURSE there will be people defending them here.

Ridley327

Why is Atlus going out of their way to chip away at the goodwill that this game has been generating? Not even Nintendo goes to such lengths to curb content sharing.

RDreamer

I mean, I understand not wanting people to be spoiled on the story, but like... this is some shit that came out months and months ago in Japan. If people want to spoil things they will do so.

The policy should really be that you can stream and post videos and we won't get angry unless you're purposefully trying to ruin things for others by not marking spoilers, etc. Basically content ID the shit out of things that don't clearly state where they're from in the game.

Jawmuncher

I can understand japan doing stuff for the music in numerous games. Since they seem to always do the laws on that oddly over there. So having a game soundtrack muted suck and is understandable. But when your entire platform is nothing more than lying about wanting to protect people from "spoilers", it's a bit too ridiculous to defend in any matter.

oti

Banned
Eh, not every company has to go with the times. They will get ridiculed for this for sure. What I'm more interest in though is how or if this will affect sales in any way. That's the story we're always hearing, how streams help to sell games. And I'm sure that's true for indies and online multiplayer games but for a niche game such as Persona I'd love to see actual data on that. Or at least this "experiment". While this is clearly backwards-thinking, it could be an interesting thing to observe.

I still haven't let it sink in that they are seriously threatening getting people suspended for streaming a video game. And then they're dressing that up in the smarmy passive-aggressive "we worked hard on this game and we love our fans and we may cherish your feedback uwu" shit that all their PR/blog posts take.

It's fucking insane. This might possibly be the best game where the publisher completely fucked up absolutely everything surrounding it. Just in complete shock at how actively malicious and spiteful this is.

sanstesy

untitled-12joj6x.gif

Hektor

Why is Atlus going out of their way to chip away at the goodwill that this game has been generating? Not even Nintendo goes to such lengths to curb content sharing.

"Not even Nintendo would" is a good way to sum up ATLUS decisions in a nutshell

Zolo

That being said, Persona 5 is a super special case for us and we’re in ongoing discussion about how our policies may evolve in the future. Thanks for reading and good luck in the Metaverse.
You can tell where AtlusUSA knew this would be reacted to badly and basically goes 'We're trying to talk to AtlusJP about this stuff for future games'.

True Fire

That message is pure insanity. It's poorly written, has SPOILERS (fuck you ATLUS), it's whiny micromanagement... I could go on and on. I can't wait to see ATLUS try to copyright strike every high profile streamer and see what happens to WOM.

Uzukii

Banned
I'll stream whatever the hell I want, as long as it's not against Twitch's ToS. A developer/publisher telling me NOT to just makes me want to even more. Fortunately for them though, I don't have an audience..

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I got maybe a quarter through before just straight thinking "Oh my god fuck OFF."

That threat at the end is the icing on the cake.

Lifeline

At least it looks like they're open to changing their mind. For those that have already played Persona, are the spoilers that huge to warrant this policy?

Guess Who

Banned
Did they put this this message out for the Japanese release?

I don't know that they put out a specific message like this (I don't think streaming is as popular there in general), but PS4 sharing is also blocked in the Japanese version and Atlus JP has been aggressive with taking down YouTube videos with game footage.

DNAbro

At least it looks like they're open to changing their mind. For those that have already played Persona, are the spoilers that huge to warrant this policy?

yes there are huge spoilers but there is literally nothing to warrant this policy

Hektor

Eh, not every company has to go with the times. They will get ridiculed for this for sure. What I'm more interest in though is how or if this will affect sales in any way. That's the story we're always hearing, how streams help to sell games. And I'm sure that's true for indies and online multiplayer games but for a niche game such as Persona I'd love to see actual data on that. Or at least this "experiment". While this is clearly backwards-thinking, it could be an interesting thing to observe.

We can't observe this because it's impossible to know how much Persona 5 would sell without these "guidelines".

There's no valuable data to gain.

Seik

Banned
That's pretty Nintendo-like (towards streamers) from Atlus, I'm surprised.

They can't control anything now though, too bad.

Ruff

Seriously shitty stance from this company. Never played a Persona game but I was looking into it after reading the hype. Now I'll stay away for good I think after seeing this.

Andrefpvs

LOL, okay then, Atlus. Can you at least patch the game to allow sharing until 7/7, then? That would help slightly.

Top Bottom