• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A note about Persona 5 Streaming From Atlus

Sylas

At least it looks like they're open to changing their mind. For those that have already played Persona, are the spoilers that huge to warrant this policy?
I mean... it's an RPG. Things happen. If you care about the story, spoilers will probably suck. The hugeness of them varies from person to person.

This is stupid as fuck though. Get fucked, Atlus. Doesn't one of their PR people post here?

Scrawnton

I can respect that they want to limit spoilers and for people to experience story scenes on their own in an organic way, but they could find a better way to go about it.

Armaly

HYpipsA.jpg

What year is it?

Capella

Yeah, there's a quote in the full blogpost about "our masters in Japan" that make it clear this was an order from above.

Yep
This being a Japanese title with a single-playthrough story means our masters in Japan are very wary about it.

It definitely sounds like Atlus Japan forcing Atlus USA to enforce this because I can't remember any other time Atlus USA has done something like this.

Eh, not every company has to go with the times. They will get ridiculed for this for sure. What I'm more interest in though is how or if this will affect sales in any way. That's the story we're always hearing, how streams help to sell games. And I'm sure that's true for indies and online multiplayer games but for a niche game such as Persona I'd love to see actual data on that. Or at least this "experiment". While this is clearly backwards-thinking, it could be an interesting thing to observe.

I don't think there will be anything to observe, people will stream it anyway.

You can tell where AtlusUSA knew this would be reacted to badly and basically goes 'We're trying to talk to AtlusJP about this stuff for future games'.

Yeah, as much as the writer tried to cover it up with a humorous tone you can feel him sweating in the background.

Kinyou

This is such an overreaction by Atlus

The only positive part is that they say ps4 sharing is currently blocked, which makes me hope that this will change eventually

Kthulhu

You can tell where AtlusUSA knew this would be reacted to badly and basically goes 'We're trying to talk to AtlusJP about this stuff for future games'.

Well they're on GAF, so hopefully they see how we're not happy. But considering how long it took them to add dual audio we may be waiting till Persona 10.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I can't believe at the end they straight up are saying if you don't do what they say, they'll abuse content ID to get your account suspended. Jesus.

Good luck with that. Maybe you should've done a worldwide release if you were so worried about international fans being spoiled.

It's also super crazy that they specifically threaten content ID claims. That's not what that's for, right? So they're straight up saying they'll abuse the system to take your video down if they have to. Crazy.

cheez124

the share restrictions on PS4 were bad enough, and now this, lol. had to hook up my capture card just to take screenshots. hopefully they'll reconsider if there's enough backlash

Yeah, as much as the writer tried to cover it up with a humorous tone you can feel him sweating in the background.

Maybe this post is an elaborate gambit by Atlus USA to reverse the pressure onto Atlus Japan by showing them how happy people are to actively call them out on how bullshit their practices are.

I hope.

Atlus Japan trying to outdo Nintendo when it comes to controlling online content being displayed. It would make sense as a worldwide launch for this game...not something that came out already in another region for months now.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the concern that in a game like this a publisher wouldn't want the game's entirety to be online for people to watch. But saying it is to protect fans from spoilers is dumb. Also those guidelines are ridiculous.

Hilarious.

This is going to backfire on them hard.

No it won't.

Sylas

When they say streaming, I assume they mean live streaming? Or just any videos at all?
I took it as any videos whatsoever. You can put as many as you'd like, but they can't include any major spoilers. I could be wrong though.

I mean... it's an RPG. Things happen. If you care about the story, spoilers will probably suck. The hugeness of them varies from person to person.

This is stupid as fuck though. Get fucked, Atlus. Doesn't one of their PR people post here?

John Hardin used to post on GAF, but he quit Atlus recently. I'm not sure if any current Atlus employee posts here.

DrArchon

It's one thing to ask people not to spoil the game, it's another to threaten people with content ID claims and takedown notices for streaming your game past a certain point.

Get fucked Atlus.

For the record, Atlus JP was also like this during the JP launch, but mostly with JP streamers because they prob couldn't find the English ones (like myself).

Atlus JP is notorious with their spoiler shit, and it's unfortunate that the folks over here have to take the full brunt of whatever fan backlash there is.

There's no way that Atlus US saw stuff like the P4 Endurance Run and thought, "Man, that's gonna be bad free advertising!"

Capella

Well they're on GAF, so hopefully they see how we're not happy. But considering how long it took them to add dual audio we may be waiting till Persona 10.
I think Atlus USA already knew what the reaction would be based on some of the things they said in the statement. It seems the issue is whether or not it will reach Atlus JP and changes their mind....

There is a kind of simple-minded arrogance behind this and the PS4 share blocking that is putting me off of P5. Irrational perhaps, but just a negative vibe.

What's more funny is that unintentionally spoiled the game by telling people to not stream after a certain date.

You played yourself.

Corginand

This being a Japanese title with a single-playthrough story means our masters in Japan are very wary about it.

Wow. WTH Atlus Japan?

This is far too restrictive. Honestly keeping titles and thumbnails spoiler-free should be enough :/ and maybe a warning in the title about potential spoilers but that's it.

Azuran

Banned
Fuck you Atlus.

Jesus Christ, we can't even stream this game know without them setting some stupid arbitrary conditions. I'm kinda glad that Twitter spoiler bot exists now just to show how ridiculous this all is.

Blue-kun

It's like they have their PR team working overtime today to ensure that everyone, and I really mean everyone is aware that Persona 5 has been released and is out there in the wild!

But for all the wrong reasons. Kind of baffled here with how poorly Atlus has been handling... everything surrounding this game today, lol.

Samaritan

This is fucking nuts. You can't police the internet like this, and threatening channel STRIKES is absolutely insane. Are Let's Players just fucked then?

Aikidoka

Weird. I don't see how this gets rid of spoilers. I've never just accidentally watched hours of a playthrough and spoiled a game. People are going to spoil it on twitter/forums regardless of stream rules

Atlus JP is the worst company in the console gaming business. Amazing developer, but as a company they're out of their fucking minds.

Rezae

They've magnified the issue more than it needed to be. Sounds like a challenge.

Ultimately they are worried that if spoilers get out there (which you know... is impossible if you block the Share features...) it will ruin the game for some and cost them sales.

Threatening content ID strikes? Whelp, that's fucking gross.

Got two back then in november, was super pissed . It was even stuff that was in the "things that you can show" highlited above.

So escuse me if i don't believe any of their bullshit.

Top Bottom