• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
I have a few questions:

1) How the fuck is Jon a Mary Sue?

2a) Why are ASoIaF fans the only people on earth who use the term "Mary Sue"?
2b) Why do they think that every character who isn't Joe Everyman qualifies?

KingK

Puddles said:
I have a few questions:

2a) Why are ASoIaF fans the only people on earth who use the term "Mary Sue"?
2b) Why do they think that every character who isn't Joe Everyman qualifies?

I also don't get how Jon is a Mary Sue. If anyone in this series is, it's Dany. Tyrion is just as much a Mary Sue as Jon is.

Pokielhl

Neo Member
The fans have a belief that nothing bad can happen to Jon/Dany, and to a lesser extent Tyrion, in the long run. Unlike the rest of the characters in the series, people don't think GRRm will kill them off as one of them is Azor Ahai and will defeat the Others and take the throne blah blah blah.

And if the character is a male he is a Gary Stu.

ezrarh said:
I think the publisher might working some fierce intimidation tactics because it really is surprising a book of this caliber has not been leaked online yet.

How can a publisher intimidate some random book owner from scanning and OCRing a book? It's pretty surprising that it hasn't been put online yet, but I guess only a few hundred people actually have the book.

ezrarh

Basileus777 said:
How can a publisher intimidate some random book owner from scanning and OCRing a book? It's pretty surprising that it hasn't been put online yet, but I guess only a few hundred people actually have the book.

It was a jest. I haven't the slightest why nobody has put it up yet.

Pokielhl

Neo Member
This is just a general comment for those who have read the book or have been spoiled about everything

Varys motivations are even more confusing than before. I had really hoped ADWD would shed some light, but it's the opposite really.

bengraven

PhoenixDark said:
I'll probably wind up reading 100 pages a day lol, maybe less. Gotta savor this meal because another won't be coming for years

I'm stranded, starving. I refuse all other food. I'd rather just devour it when it arrives.

Once I've eaten it, I can take my time and start other meals while I wait the long years for another taste.

I'm not sure if I'm talking about Dance, because I really really want smothered burritos right now.

bengraven

Pokielhl said:
This is just a general comment for those who have read the book or have been spoiled about everything

Varys motivations are even more confusing than before. I had really hoped ADWD would shed some light, but it's the opposite really.

I fucking highlighted your spoiler out of stupidity...and yet, it's very very weak and I'm not mad at all, so no worries.

I'm happy to see the character has returned as he's one of my favorites and we'll get some more look at his confusing plans.

Puddles said:
I have a few questions:

Jon's a Mary Sue because when people first hear that term, they go through a period of misapplying it to a lot of things because it makes them feel smart.

So I saw that ADWD had leaked early in Germany and spoilers are unmarked so I know I'm in a risky thread... but anyways have any impressions leaked out or any reviews?

Ænima

LaserBuddha said:
Jon's a Mary Sue because when people first hear that term, they go through a period of misapplying it to a lot of things because it makes them feel smart.
Yeah, it's a lot like the phrase "deus ex machina" in that way.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
shintoki said:
This so much. Finish reading. It will take you 2-3 days, maybe a week. You'll have the next 5 years to discuss it.

lolwut? maybe if you have no job. These books usually set me back 2-3 weeks at a couple of chapters a day.

One week, gentlemen, one week. I'm at work looking at the calender. Next tuesday I'll get home from work around 8:30pm and find the book in my door screen, or inside the house if a roommate is kind enough to bring it in.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is there anyone who has read ADWD who would answer one question for me? Just yes or no with no more explanation.

Pokielhl

Neo Member
bengraven said:
I fucking highlighted your spoiler out of stupidity...and yet, it's very very weak and I'm not mad at all, so no worries.

I'm happy to see the character has returned as he's one of my favorites and we'll get some more look at his confusing plans.

Yeah I tried to keep it vague, but since a specific character was mentioned I guess it counts as a spoiler.

bengraven

Pokielhl said:
Yeah I tried to keep it vague, but since a specific character was mentioned I guess it counts as a spoiler.

It was just one step less vague than, for example, "ooooh that Littlefinger!".

And yet, if you said that and we knew you read the book someone would be like "spoiler that shit!" I don't want to know that Littlefinger does or says something that would make you react! You'll ruin the book for me.

Pokielhl

Neo Member
True. I will say though that by mentioning that character only certain words come to mind anyways. In other words, if they appear, you know almost know what to expect.

Pokielhl how did you like the book? Is it more like AFFC or a true successor to ASOS for instance. Would love to get some non-spoiler impressions. Is it as explosive as some people are saying?

Pokielhl

Neo Member
I thought about writing a non-spoiler review, but I feel like I would inadvertently spoil some things just by mentioning certain characters. But here are my general thoughts/feelings without any specifics. I'll put it in spoiler tags though:

First off I love it. It really is an epic and extremely well written tale; its completely understandable why it took GRRm so long to finish. While I need to reread it again, I can say that right now it is my favorite of the series. And by the way things end I believe the next two books will be even better.

That said, for some of the characters it feels like we are still in the middle of their storylines, and thus the plot in general is still in the middle similar to AFFC. I'm fine with that (we have two more books), but some will be disappointed. Before you take the AFFC comparisons to heart, there is definitely more action and foreboding which separates the two books.

I can say more but like I said I don't really want to spoil anyone

Sounds good. I've got a specific question I'll put in spoilers

Martin initially said many of the AFFC cliff hangers would be addressed here. Does Cersei have a POV, or is there a POV of a character in King's Landing to address her situation? Just a yes or no if possible bro

Pokielhl

Neo Member
PhoenixDark said:
Sounds good. I've got a specific question I'll put in spoilers

Martin initially said many of the AFFC cliff hangers would be addressed here. Does Cersei have a POV, or is there a POV of a character in King's Landing to address her situation? Just a yes or no if possible bro

Yes, and more than just her cliffhanger

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Actually I thought of another one too. Sorry to bombard you haha. How much of the book progresses past AFFC?

Pokielhl

Neo Member
No, I was visiting a friend in Sweden (back in the States now). The street date was broken at a store in Stockholm, and other places throughout Europe from what I hear.

And when I say it's my favorite I'm not guaranteeing everyone will feel the same so don't hurt me when you find out Thoros doesn't resurrect Ser Dontos.

BeeDog

Pokielhl said:
No, I was visiting a friend in Sweden (back in the States now). The street date was broken at a store in Stockholm, and other places throughout Europe from what I hear.

WHAT STORE? I need to know please!

Pokielhl said:

And when I say it's my favorite I'm not guaranteeing everyone will feel the same so don't hurt me when you find out Thoros doesn't resurrect Ser Dontos.
If this book isn't at least 40% dick crabbe POV chapters, I'm hunting you down personally.

Pokielhl

Neo Member
I'm 75% sure it is called Hedengrens Bokhandel, but I can't seem to find there website. I don't speak Swedish and was lead there by my friend so don't quote me. I bought it right after the leak.

BeeDog

Pokielhl said:
I'm 75% sure it is called Hedengrens Bokhandel, but I can't seem to find there website. I don't speak Swedish and was lead there by my friend so don't quote me. I bought it right after the leak.

Oh snap, I just tried accessing their website but it seems it's down. I think I know where that store is, might drop by tomorrow then. Thanks!

Pokielhl

Neo Member
I don't want to get your hopes up so don't go running all around the city. One more week (but I guess thats easy for me to say lol)

BeeDog

Pokielhl said:
I don't want to get your hopes up so don't go running all around the city. One more week (but I guess thats easy for me to say lol)

Might as well try since I live nearby. Just an excuse to get out. :) Hopefully I'll have an update tomorrow, I guess.

bluemax

Banned
shintoki said:
This so much. Finish reading. It will take you 2-3 days, maybe a week. You'll have the rest of your life to discuss it and speculate on how the series would've ended had it been finished.

Fixed.

Yeah, scanned book is out. I will read very slowly until the actual book comes out!

I already learned one interesting fact about a certain power some have
beyond the wall
(not a big spoiler and not character related but it could lead to many new theories):
It seems when you die as a skinchanger in your human body, you can permanently go inside another body or animal to continue living (obviously leaving your dead body behind).

Deadly Monk said:
Yeah, scanned book is out. I will read very slowly until the actual book comes out!

I already learned one interesting fact about a certain power some have
beyond the wall
(not a big spoiler and not character related but it could lead to many new theories):
It seems when you die as a skinchanger in your human body, you can permanently go inside another body or animal to continue living (obviously leaving your dead body behind).

This isn't new information. We already knew that from Orell in ASOS. Plus Martin read the prologue of ADWD at some event many years ago.

Fjordson

Just looked at all the chapter POV's on Reddit. Assuming they're real, I kind of like how Martin is naming them. Instead of just a single name, some of them change 2-3 times to reflect what's happening to that character at that point in the book.

Though this means anyone trying to go in 100 percent fresh should avoid them. Some of them, when paired with the actual character name, are pretty spoilery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom