• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesotenso

Skilletor said:
I'm in no way comparing the quality of these books to Ultimate Spiderman here, but, as an example:

I've been reading Ultimate Spidey for 11 years. Bendis is a great writer. I fucking love Peter Parker.

The latest arc is called Death of Spiderman. I've known he was going to die for awhile, but when it happened, I was still shocked at my reaction. There's a pic of Uncle Ben holding Peter by the shoulder saying, "You did good, kid." and I just about choke up. I knew he was going to die. How it happened mattered more than what happened.

I really hate the fact that Ultimate Peter Parker is dead. I grew up reading Ultimate Spider-man and have a special attachment to it since I have read it from the beginning. I think I am done with the book.

Skilletor

Nesotenso said:
I really hate the fact that Ultimate Peter Parker is dead. I grew up reading Ultimate Spider-man and have a special attachment to it since I have read it from the beginning. I think I am done with the book.

I was hoping he'd live. I hoped that this experience would make Peter realize he wasn't ready and to live a life, go to college.

But that didn't happen and I am sad. I'll read the first few issues of the new USM because I trust in Bender, but it won't feel the same.

Puddles

Banned
methodman said:
I wish the publisher was smarter. Should have allowed spoiler free reviews to be released early, with spoiler reviews embargoed. Now that there's nothing allowed, people are fiending for any type of ASoIaF news they can get, regardless how spoiler filled.

Once the stores in Germany sold the book early, they really should have moved the release date up to the 1st.

They gain nothing by waiting until the 12th. People who would buy the book early were already going to buy the book on the 12th. It doesn't affect their marketing campaign at all.

bengraven

Skilletor said:
I don't read it for the surprise. I care a lot about these characters.

I'm in no way comparing the quality of these books to Ultimate Spiderman here, but, as an example:

I've been reading Ultimate Spidey for 11 years. Bendis is a great writer. I fucking love Peter Parker.

The latest arc is called Death of Spiderman. I've known he was going to die for awhile, but when it happened, I was still shocked at my reaction. There's a pic of Uncle Ben holding Peter by the shoulder saying, "You did good, kid." and I just about choke up. I knew he was going to die. How it happened mattered more than what happened.

I still shake my head at Ned Stark's death. It makes me sad every time. Knowing that it happens doesn't change my feelings. I can understand people who want it fresh going in. But I don't care, at all.

You have a point. I had every major spoiler ruined for me. Except that Cat died at the Red Wedding...I knew she was going to die and become Stoneheart, just not at the same time as Robb.

And I still read and fell in love with the books, despite nearly putting them down.

I really really want the surprises to be fresh for me this time though. Remember those reaction videos from when Ned died on the show, from people who seriously didn't know it was going to happen?

I'm dissappointed in myself that I couldn't experience that.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Ugg, I'm avoiding spoilers, but the reactions to the spoilers have effectively spoiled it for me. =/ It's not hard to guess what would have otherwise been really fucking shocking. I'm more than a little annoyed that I won't have another Red Wedding moment.

I'm in a shitty mood today. T minus X minutes until I say fuck it and highlight one of those big black boxes.

I might be checking those spoilers if I hadn't already been spoiled on one major thing. All that did was piss me off, so I don't want to see anything else when I can't read the book for another week and a half.

Pokielhl

Neo Member
This book does not look to disappoint. I thought we generally figured everything out but George never fails to surprise.

I'm calling the local bookstore to see if they received their shipment. I need the book now, not tomorrow, not in TWELVE FUCKING days. . . right fucking now. Fuck you Martin, for sprinkling cocaine in the books for those of us who like the new book smell, your fucking shenanigans has gotten me addicted and I need to read Dance with Dragons before I ruin the surprises you put into the book, that were meant to shock and awe me. If I spoil myself, it is Martin's fault.

HUGE EDIT: My local bookstore is expecting the books to come in between next Tuesday and Wednesday. Looks like I will be getting ADwD a week early!!!!!!

Telosfortelos said:
Ugg, I'm avoiding spoilers, but the reactions to the spoilers have effectively spoiled it for me. =/ It's not hard to guess what would have otherwise been really fucking shocking. I'm more than a little annoyed that I won't have another Red Wedding moment.

I'm in a shitty mood today. T minus X minutes until I say fuck it and highlight one of those big black boxes.

I figured shit would hit the fan; it happens in GoT, ACOK, and ASOS - why wouldn't it happen in ADWD. So the reactions haven't really made me upset I know something "big" happens. I'd be pissed if I heard nothing "big" happens.

About the spoiler:

I always figured if Jon was going to go down it would be as a sacrifice for everyone. I know GRRM is not into happy endings like Sam and Frodo jumping on the bed. So I figured Jon would take out the Others, but go out like Jack from Lost. If its true that he got stab, then I still don't think that is the end of his story. Too much is tied up with him.

bluemax

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Seriously bro, you've been waiting for years to read the book. I don't understand your logic here, of spoiling the entire book for yourself.

I haven't been waiting years to read the book. I only read the first one a couple months ago because years ago I said "fuck you" to epic length fantasy novels for exactly the kind of shit Martin is pulling.

Sleepy

Re: The get a job, etc. I guess what I meant to say is that I can wait for the library copy and then buy the paperback when it comes out. Most genre fantasy, IMO, is not worth buying in HC.

Sleepy

Dresden said:
Too good to be one of the genre peasants, I see.

No, not at all. Hell, my academic research interests are in fantasy, but buying that shit in HC is a waste of money.

Anyway, back on topic: Must not read spoilers. Also, is it just Europe that got the book early?

ezrarh

bluemax said:
Who me? I like reading but I don't like reading books that go nowhere.

5 books in and this series has gone nowhere.

While I'm not as fortunate as you to have read the 5th book but from my experience with the first 4, how can you seriously say the series has gone nowhere.

Puddles

Banned
Probably because the Others haven't laid waste to the North and the dragons haven't fucked shit up on Westeros yet.

I can see how someone would read the first book and expect that shit to happen pretty quickly afterwards.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Puddles said:
Probably because the Others haven't laid waste to the North and the dragons haven't fucked shit up on Westeros yet.

I can see how someone would read the first book and expect that shit to happen pretty quickly afterwards.
I guess I could see that too, but I'd have higher respect for the opinion of a dump I left in the toilet than that opinion. That's fucking stupid. More shit happens in this series than any other I can think of.

KingK

Judging by the reactions here, apparently something big happens in ADWD.

My guess is that either Jon or Dany die (don't tell me if I'm right or wrong. I don't want any spoilers). They're like the only two likable characters who have had some good shit going for them (Jon becoming Lord Commander, Dany conquering the slave cities), and GRRM is too much of an asshole to let that slide. Honestly, it's almost becoming predictable in a series where everything that can go wrong does, that the 2 characters that hold our last bit of hope will have to get fucked over somehow.

Since I'm not even a huge fan of Dany, but love Jon, it will probably be Jon that dies just because GRRM loves to shit on my dreams.

Puddles

Banned
I'm predicting that Rickon will be the only sympathetic character left by the end of A Dream of Spring. Well, him and Shaggydog.

If I had to guess I'd say Jon gets seriously injured. We know he'll be facing a coup on the Wall, with Slynt there; dunno if people have read the released chapters so I won't discuss that in detail. But yea, that makes sense.

And given all the shit happening with Dany it wouldn't be surprising if she loses a dragon. Given the time it takes for a dragon to become big enough to matter, we might not see a point in the story where they're fully adult size. Killing them off would be interesting. But then again, it would also make Dany's arc feel like a waste.

KingK

Puddles said:
I'm predicting that Rickon will be the only sympathetic character left by the end of A Dream of Spring. Well, him and Shaggydog.

Yea, probably. I'm really hoping we see what's up with Rickon in ADWD. I'm also hoping we still get the five year gap after/at the end of this book partly so that we can actually see Rickon do stuff in the series.

KingK

I also kinda think it's bullshit that Tyrion is still alive. Not that I'm upset about it, I love Tyrion and hope he makes it through the series, but the dude is a midget with no remarkable fighting skills, but has survived 3 major battles (Mountain Clans, Red Fork, Blackwater); often "just making it through" with his life. For all the praise the series gets for being "realistic" with character deaths and willingness to kill off favorites, GRRM seems very unwilling to kill off his personal favorite.

bluemax

Banned
ezrarh said:
While I'm not as fortunate as you to have read the 5th book but from my experience with the first 4, how can you seriously say the series has gone nowhere.

Because what was supposed to be a trilogy has ballooned into 5 books with a million PoVs, more than half of which are completely inconsequential. The author is still introducing new characters and half baked plot twists in the 5th book, its clear that either he has no idea where he's going with this anymore or he wants to drag it out indefinitely.

KingK said:
I also kinda think it's bullshit that Tyrion is still alive. Not that I'm upset about it, I love Tyrion and hope he makes it through the series, but the dude is a midget with no remarkable fighting skills, but has survived 3 major battles (Mountain Clans, Red Fork, Blackwater); often "just making it through" with his life. For all the praise the series gets for being "realistic" with character deaths and willingness to kill off favorites, GRRM seems very unwilling to kill off his personal favorite.

His fighting skills seem absolutely ridiculous sometimes. Here's a dude who bitches about walking up stairs but can hack up trained knights in battle. I realize that Tyrion is Martin and so he likes to play wish fulfillment with him but he's one of the most inconsistent characters in terms of physical abilities.

Azrael

KingK said:

Shh! People keep saying character X is a Mary Sue enough and it will just push GRRM to kill them off to surprise us.

bluemax said:
Because what was supposed to be a trilogy has ballooned into 5 books with a million PoVs, more than half of which are completely inconsequential. The author is still introducing new characters and half baked plot twists in the 5th book, its clear that either he has no idea where he's going with this anymore or he wants to drag it out indefinitely.
Only one problem-the books are damned good and millions of us love reading them.

bluemax said:

His fighting skills seem absolutely ridiculous sometimes. Here's a dude who bitches about walking up stairs but can hack up trained knights in battle. I realize that Tyrion is Martin and so he likes to play wish fulfillment with him but he's one of the most inconsistent characters in terms of physical abilities.
Which POVs are "inconsequential"? I can think of not a single POV that hasn't been important.

bluemax

Banned
elrechazao said:
Only one problem-the books are damned good and millions of us love reading them.

I'm not really sure how that goes against what I said, but okay.

ZephyrFate said:
Which POVs are "inconsequential"? I can think of not a single POV that hasn't been important.

I think book 5 changes this.

Basileus777 said:
Arys Oakheart definitely is. You could make a case for Hotah and Damphair.
I dunno, while Arys was a bit unnecessary, he gives us our first glimpse into Dorne and at least he had not-disgusting sex scenes. :(

I forget who Hotah is.

KingK

ZephyrFate said:
I dunno, while Arys was a bit unnecessary, he gives us our first glimpse into Dorne and at least he had not-disgusting sex scenes. :(

I forget who Hotah is.

Oakheart's chapter could have been done through Arrienne's point of view. Damphair's chapters could have been done through Victarion or Asha's point of view, and as for Hotah...
I forget who Hotah is.
Exactly.

GRRM went overboard with POVs in Feast. There only needed to be one POV for the Iron Islands, not three. Similarly, there only needed to be one POV for Dorne, not three.

ZephyrFate said:

I forget who Hotah is.
Norvoshi captain of Doran's guard. Married to his longaxe.

That doesn't prove anything. All it proves is that I haven't read Feast in six years.

^^^^ Thanks. Now I remember. I actually quite liked that POV. Plus he only gets like one chapter, and that's enough.

Half the POVs are inconsequential? C'mon son. Even the most tedious ones serve a purpose. Davos is a POV in ACOK to introduce us to Stannis, for instance; lots of people don't like him, but he serves quite a purpose. Brienne is the most tedious POV in the series imo, and you might be able to argue she's irrelevant; the reader knows her search for Sansa will be fruitless because she's searching in the wrong direction. Outside of that, which other POVs have no meaning?

From what I've heard ADWD will make the POV list leaner by killing some folks off, which will get us back to the "main" characters. For instance I tend to believe Davos is truly dead because his POV no longer serves a purpose. Stannis is on the wall in Jon's POV, Melisandre even has her own POV too, so there's no point; he'll probably see something important then bite the dust.

bathala

Banned
Before Dance's release I told myself i'm going to re-read all the books, but procrastinated...

any site where is gives a summary of the books

Fjordson

PhoenixDark said:
Half the POVs are inconsequential? C'mon son. Even the most tedious ones serve a purpose. Davos is a POV in ACOK to introduce us to Stannis, for instance; lots of people don't like him, but he serves quite a purpose. Brienne is the most tedious POV in the series imo, and you might be able to argue she's irrelevant; the reader knows her search for Sansa will be fruitless because she's searching in the wrong direction. Outside of that, which other POVs have no meaning?

From what I've heard ADWD will make the POV list leaner by killing some folks off, which will get us back to the "main" characters. For instance I tend to believe Davos is truly dead because his POV no longer serves a purpose. Stannis is on the wall in Jon's POV, Melisandre even has her own POV too, so there's no point; he'll probably see something important then bite the dust.
Yeah, I've never got the feeling that any POV was worthless. Enjoyed all of them. Even smaller ones like Arys Oakheart.

Though the idea of people not liking Davos surprises me. I always thought he was fairly popular.

Edit: Not that Tower of the Hand represents every single ASoIaF fan by any stretch, but it looks like Davos finished at #8 on their top characters poll.

KingK

PhoenixDark said:

I definitely wouldn't say half, but 3 POV characters from Feast were completely unnecessary. Everything in Dorne could have been covered through Arienne POVs. Arys and Hotah did not need to have POVs. And Damphair didn't need any either. Everything in his two chapters could have been covered in Victarion or Asha chapters. You could probably easily cut down the Iron Islands to only an Asha or Victarion POV and still have everything effectively covered. I would just rather have one character get 6 chapters than three characters get 2.

bengraven

As to that spoiler way up above, which I'm still pissed at myself about, I do think it's inconsequential and goes by a theory I have:

FUCKING HUGE DANCE SPOILER THAT WAS ALREADY RUINED FOR ME SO DON"T FUCKING CLICK THIS:
I don't think Jon is dead...he's the 998th LC of the Night's Watch and you KNOW George wanted to get to 1000 by the end of the series...but you can't leave unless you're dead.

So not only does George get Jon out of the way for the 999th (stannis?) but also the 1000th (Sam?).

AND he gets Jon out of the Night's Watch free, to go about Westeros to do things.

If anyone responds to this with spoilered text, I won't be reading that reply for 10 days, just FYI. I swear this time. ;)

bengraven

Nesotenso said:
I agree with your post Bengraven. I have a feeling Martin will need more than two books to finish this story.

Well if he planned on doing that thing, he should have done it sooner...you're right...with only two books left, if the spoiler is 100% true, and finished, then I want to know what the point of that character being there was.

Nesotenso

bengraven said:
Well if he planned on doing that thing, he should have done it sooner...you're right...with only two books left, if the spoiler is 100% true, and finished, then I want to know what the point of that character being there was.

Well if the spoilers hold and do turn out to be true, the resolution of all plot points in two books will make them seem weirdly paced. Anyway you can discern a lot of the stuff by the way it is written. My guess is that its all a red herring. Will have to read it for myself to see if I am right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom