• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabig2

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
I just read through the 'red wedding'. I feel like burning this fucking book. Why is this author so bloodthirsty? What a shitty, shitty way for these characters to die. For so long I kept imagining the reunion scenes between Rob, Caitlin and the rest. Why do they all deserve such pathetic deaths? Why the fuck did Caitlin need to die? For me, she was the one bringing everything together, I looked forward to her POVs as she always crystallized the tragedy of the situation, and both she and Robb were the strongest ties to Ned, and we felt vengeance and retribution through them. Now all thats left of starks is fucking kids running around. I don't even care about reading anymore, there's hardly a character left I even give a shit about. My main motivation for reading was to get SOME joy out of the retribution Robb would rain down, or at least Caitlin reuniting with ONE of her kids. All that's left now is kids wandering around aimlessly, being endlessly kidnapped and wed to random people, and evil, treacherous fucks that I all want dead anyway. I can't even find anyone to root for anymore, try as I might. Is this being 'ballsy', killing off every single character of interest? Fuck it all.

Haha, this was pretty much my reaction too (I threw my book down and went outside for an extended smoke), but I still ended up finishing the book with a big smile on my face. Make sure you keep reading.

Though I'd like to address the killing shit here. I had no problems with Robb and Cat dying. I did have a problem with the details. Fucking shit GRRM, he's already dead. Sewing the wolf head to his body? Fuck you Martin. This gruesomeness better be recompensed before this series is over.

yacobod

Banned
Emerson said:
and Jon is probably pretty far up there in potential for next major character death.

i just hope there are no cliffhangers at the end of ADWD because i doubt we get another book in the series after ADWD, the fat bastard is liable to croak. i mean look at him.

s1hAu.jpg

Joffrey's death was so fucking... unsatisfying. Sad how none of the decent characters are never given a chance to get retribution, the bad guys always rob them of that by dying in ramdom and idiotic ways. Also lame how the truth also seem to die with the characters, without anyone finding out the real story (and anyone that does is killed soon after) so that the truth becomes largely irrelevant and everyone believes whatever the fuck they want and people get punished just as randomly. Also, the lives of both Sansa and Tyrion are so senselessly tragic and unfair that I almost want them to just fucking die already, so I can stop reading about their next tragedy. Also, does pretty much EVERY male character have to be a pedophile in this book? I mean littlefinger, WTF? Hasn't Sansa earned the right to get away from this shit? If I was her I'd just run off and find a cave somewhere, and live there for the remainder of her life to get away from humanity.

Dresden

Harry Potter said:
Is that the Old Bear? Also, I want to fucking punch GRRM right in his face. Is this normal?
I'm always bothered by random GRRM hate. I mean, mocking the release schedule or his con visits is fine, but (even jokingly) actual violence?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
yacobod said:
i just hope there are no cliffhangers at the end of ADWD because i doubt we get another book in the series after ADWD, the fat bastard is liable to croak. i mean look at him.

s1hAu.jpg

Oh man, Jon looks like an awkward hipster in real life. And Robb must get so much pussy.

Azrael

Emerson said:
I think Tyrion is by far the least likely to die, and Jon is probably pretty far up there in potential for next major character death.

I think either Stannis or Jon will die and be reborn as the king of the Others. I'm just not sure which. Though maybe that would be too cliche after Lost did the same thing with Locke.

I remember seeing those pics and thinking wow, Kitt (Jon) looks so bummed out to be hanging amongst nerds. Turns out he was coming right from an all night shoot or something and was tired as fuck.

Seeing Richard Madden like that makes me more upset he had a beard in the early episodes. Sigh. He should have had one first when Catelyn/Rodrik met up with his army, not before *grumble*

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Mifune said:
In this thread, people don't know what the hell a hipster is.

The word has morphed into a general look. Dorky being one of them, unenthusiastic and tending towards apathetic. Plus the glasses, hair and shirt. Though it makes sense now to hear that he was just tired. Dude looks beat.

yacobod said:
well if he's not a hipster, then he just looks like a dork. w/e he doesn't look like he's swimming in puss like robb.
I'm pretty sure the fact that he is hotter than Robb means he's probably swimming in pussy.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Joffrey's death was so fucking... unsatisfying. Sad how none of the decent characters are never given a chance to get retribution, the bad guys always rob them of that by dying in ramdom and idiotic ways. Also lame how the truth also seem to die with the characters, without anyone finding out the real story (and anyone that does is killed soon after) so that the truth becomes largely irrelevant and everyone believes whatever the fuck they want and people get punished just as randomly. Also, the lives of both Sansa and Tyrion are so senselessly tragic and unfair that I almost want them to just fucking die already, so I can stop reading about their next tragedy. Also, does pretty much EVERY male character have to be a pedophile in this book? I mean littlefinger, WTF? Hasn't Sansa earned the right to get away from this shit? If I was her I'd just run off and find a cave somewhere, and live there for the remainder of her life to get away from humanity.

...and Tywin's death managed to be even LESS satisfying. After all the despicable evils he's done, he gets, what, 2 seconds of pain before dying? UUghhh.. he deserved to see his entire kingdon/army crumble, then be burned alive. How anti-climactic. We could of at LEAST had a longer convo between him and Tyrion.. the best we get is his asking where Tysha or whatever is, and not getting an answer.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
...and Tywin's death managed to be even LESS satisfying. After all the despicable evils he's done, he gets, what, 2 seconds of pain before dying? UUghhh.. he deserved to see his entire kingdon/army crumble, then be burned alive. How anti-climactic. We could of at LEAST had a longer convo between him and Tyrion.. the best we get is his asking where Tysha or whatever is, and not getting an answer.
I bet he never imagined his dwarf son killing him tho. I'm sure in his mind that was a pretty awful way to go.

JerkShep

I've tried to stay away from ADWD spoilers so far but some early comments about one storyline in particular seems to be pretty disappointing (for me, at least).
I want to book so badly nonetheless :(

EDIT: I should clarify that my "disappointment" (big words, since I've not yet read the book) concerns only one of the many storylines, not the book in general.

What the fuck is with marrying people 8 years old in this book (ie. Robert to Sansa)? It's a little beyond ridiculous, even in context. Also, how many fucking times is Sansa going to get married? It's getting tiresome. Actually, it's gotten tiresome. Couldn't the author think of a new plotline for her, instead of being married over and over again, each suiter more pathetic and tragic than the last? I guess that's her 'thing'.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
What the fuck is with marrying people 8 years old in this book (ie. Robert to Sansa)? It's a little beyond ridiculous, even in context. Also, how many fucking times is Sansa going to get married? It's getting tiresome. Actually, it's gotten tiresome. Couldn't the author think of a new plotline for her, instead of being married over and over again? I guess that's her 'thing'.
In medieval times among nobility, marriage was a means of conveying land and title. Very common for even babies to be betrothed and married. Remember that Tyrek lannister was marred to an infant in the books. When you need to secure a claim, you need to marry a baby, gotta do what you gotta do.

elrechazao said:
In medieval times among nobility, marriage was a means of conveying land and title. Very common for even babies to be betrothed and married. Remember that Tyrek lannister was marred to an infant in the books. When you need to secure a claim, you need to marry a baby, gotta do what you gotta do.

Sure, the person was 'promised'. But I've never heard of people actually being officially married at that age, which these books do so often. That, and wanting the girl to get fucked and impregnated the night of her wedding.

I heard Madden (Rob), not Harrington (Jon) was dating Dany.

One of my friends who hasn't read the books thinks Robb will ally with the Targs, since the Starks bowed to the dragons in the past. She was like "I hope Jorah doesn't kill Robb!" ok

bluemax

Banned
Advance_Alarm said:
holy fuck i got spoiled on gamefaqs

GRRM said some of these might not be true:

Jon gets stabbed, don't know if he dies
Kevan gets killed by Varys
Aurane Waters is baby Aegon
Quentyn marries Dany
Stannis is killed by Ramsay at Winterfell

From what I've been reading (chapter reactions by a guy who is actually reading the book) at least 2 of those are false.

Mifune said:
In this thread, people don't know what the hell a hipster is.

On Neogaf hipster is used as an insult for anyone who wears black horn rimmed glasses and dresses in something besides video game tshirts and jeans.

methodman

Banned
bluemax said:
From what I've been reading (chapter reactions by a guy who is actually reading the book) at least 2 of those are false.
Link? And which ones were false? I been spoiled on all of those lol.

bluemax

Banned
methodman said:
Link? And which ones were false? I been spoiled on all of those lol.

MASSIVE ADWD SPOILERS DO NOT HIGHLIGHT UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET SPOILED.

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/105/001/discuss.html He's up to chapter 56, just change the /001 to /002 etc to see all stuff.

It sounds like Aurane Waters is not Baby Aegon, although Aegon IS alive. Also I'm still sort of confused but I don't think Stannis is dead, at least not through chapter 56. And where he left off Dany was gonna marry some other guy who isn't Quentyn Martell, but that's only because she's desperate (ly horny) and Martell hasn't arrived. Jon getting stabbed seems plausible with the way his story is going. Dunno about the Varys stuff.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Sure, the person was 'promised'. But I've never heard of people actually being officially married at that age, which these books do so often. That, and wanting the girl to get fucked and impregnated the night of her wedding.

Richard II married the six-year-old Isabella Valois, to name but one.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
What the fuck is with marrying people 8 years old in this book (ie. Robert to Sansa)? It's a little beyond ridiculous, even in context. Also, how many fucking times is Sansa going to get married? It's getting tiresome. Actually, it's gotten tiresome. Couldn't the author think of a new plotline for her, instead of being married over and over again, each suiter more pathetic and tragic than the last? I guess that's her 'thing'.
People got married young in the time period the series is a reflection of all the time.

Do you really just not like anything going on in this series? It sounds like it. As per your weird comments about Joff and Tywin not dying in the manner you wanted them to -- the author isn't writing to curtail to your desires. People die spectacularly and unspectacularly all the time -- that's reality. Even the worst people will only get an obituary that lasts two sentences, and the line "And in the end, Tywin Lannister did not shit gold." is a better end than anything anyone else could write for him.

It's even LESS ceremonious to give him so uninteresting a death, completely trumping your expectations.

Puddles

Banned
The quickness of Tywin's death wasn't realistic considering the wound he got. It said he took a crossbow bolt to the area between stomach and groin. Even if that hit an artery, it would take some time to bleed out. He'd have more than enough time to call for help.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Eh, not necessarily. The risk is certainly lower than with the thorax but if the bolt hit the abdominal aorta you'd be dead very quickly.

bengraven

shintoki said:
Robb or Jon

No, Robb. Robb is dating Dany. I thought I made that clear. lol

Still not reading spoilers, but HAVE to be in this thread to get my fix.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:

Dude, someone marries a baby in the series. A baby.

Fjordson

I thought Tywin's death was more than fine. Done ice cold by his own son. Despite how powerful, feared and well known he was, he died quietly in the damn bathroom. And he didn't shit gold.

I appreciate that Martin doesn't draw out character deaths for the most part, no matter how major the character.

Ok so I just finished SoS, and I admit the last few lines made me absolutely giddy.
Zombie Catelyn with a vengeance,
FUCK YES.

I've heard Feast for Crows is kind of a disappointment and not worth reading, as it omits characters such as Dany and Tyrion (wtf) and a crapload of new POV characters are introduced, something I don't really care for as I think there's enough already to contend with. What do people here who have read it think? As I understand it Dance is pretty much the same timeline with the missing POVs.

Pkaz01

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
I've heard Feast for Crows is kind of a disappointment and not worth reading, as it omits characters such as Dany and Tyrion (wtf) and a crapload of new POV characters are introduced, something I don't really care for as I think there's enough already to contend with. What do people here who have read it think? As I understand it Dance is pretty much the same timeline with the missing POVs.
Its not as exciting exciting as the other books but it kind of picks up all the broken pieces after shit hit the fan in ASoS. There are still some really good parts, I think the Jaime chapters were easily the best part for me.

ezrarh

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Ok so I just finished SoS, and I admit the last few lines made me absolutely giddy.
FUCK YES.

It's very worth reading. It's just people have a strong reaction to it since I immediately started it as soon as I finished ASOS and expected a continuation of the Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Bran storylines. You get none of that however. I enjoyed the book much more after the second reread knowing that certain characters weren't going to be there. So as long as you know what to expect, it's not horrible or anything.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
FUCK YES.

Honestly, if you skip the fourth book you miss out on a lot of world-building that I think is essential to the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom