• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puddles said:
Surprised that there isn't a leak of ADWD on the interwebs yet.

I suppose it takes time to scan a book that big and run OCR software on it. There will probably be an epub up by Monday. It took about a week for the last two WOT books to get put online.

bengraven

Basileus777 said:
I suppose it takes time to scan a book that big and run OCR software on it. There will probably be an epub up by Monday. It took about a week for the last two WOT books to get put online.

I truly hope not. Don't know if I could control myself, despite it being delivered by invisible delivery trucks directly to my Kindle on the 12th.

methodman

Banned
bengraven said:
I truly hope not. Don't know if I could control myself, despite it being delivered by invisible delivery trucks directly to my Kindle on the 12th.
Me too man. I already got spoilered in a damn SF Giants forum, if it leaks, I know I'll get spoilered more in other places. Sucks.

Fjordson

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Ok so I just finished SoS, and I admit the last few lines made me absolutely giddy.
Zombie Catelyn with a vengeance,
FUCK YES.

I've heard Feast for Crows is kind of a disappointment and not worth reading, as it omits characters such as Dany and Tyrion (wtf) and a crapload of new POV characters are introduced, something I don't really care for as I think there's enough already to contend with. What do people here who have read it think? As I understand it Dance is pretty much the same timeline with the missing POVs.
I thought Feast was incredible. Provides insight into a lot of interesting places and characters that were absent from the first three. Yes, some of the people you've grown to know over the first three books are absent, but the stuff that is in AFFC is still necessary when it comes to Martin fully fleshing out the world and conflict of the series.

bengraven

methodman said:
Me too man. I already got spoilered in a damn SF Giants forum, if it leaks, I know I'll get spoilered more in other places. Sucks.

I've been fairly careful so far, but there's still 12 days to go. Anything can happen.

For one thing, I made sure and delete my bookmark for Something Awful. Out of sight, out of mind, and I KNOW they're spoiling the shit out of it over there.

Puddles

Banned
Feast is amazing for world-building at a ground level. You get to really see what the war has done to the country and what the lives of a lot of everyday people are like once the battles are done and the knights and armies have left.

bengraven

Feast gets a lot of shit for focusing on Brienne, Jaime and Cersei while introducing half a dozen new characters.

And I fucking hate Cersei's chapters. I'm actually really digging Jaime and Brienne's this time around.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Personally I don't see the problem with wanting to read a leak. I've already paid for my Kindle preorder and it will go through regardless. If it leaks early I'll read it and won't feel bad at all.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Ok so I just finished SoS, and I admit the last few lines made me absolutely giddy.
Zombie Catelyn with a vengeance,
FUCK YES.

I've heard Feast for Crows is kind of a disappointment and not worth reading, as it omits characters such as Dany and Tyrion (wtf) and a crapload of new POV characters are introduced, something I don't really care for as I think there's enough already to contend with. What do people here who have read it think? As I understand it Dance is pretty much the same timeline with the missing POVs.

AFFC mainly takes place in the south and east, so many of the more popular northern characters aren't there. So don't expect a bunch of answers to ASOS cliff hangers - those should be addressed in a couple weeks in ADWD.

AFFC is very good. Martin opens up the world and introduces a host of new characters and locations. Plus you get one of the absolute best POVs in the entire series

Puddles

Banned
bengraven said:
Feast gets a lot of shit for focusing on Brienne, Jaime and Cersei while introducing half a dozen new characters.

And I fucking hate Cersei's chapters. I'm actually really digging Jaime and Brienne's this time around.

Brienne's chapters feel like a post-apocalyptic novel to me. The book gave me a lot of ideas for my own stories.

bengraven said:

Dude, watching her self-destruct is incredible.

NewLib

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
AFFC mainly takes place in the south and east, so many of the more popular northern characters aren't there. So don't expect a bunch of answers to ASOS cliff hangers - those should be addressed in a couple weeks in ADWD.

AFFC is very good. Martin opens up the world and introduces a host of new characters and locations. Plus you get one of the absolute best POVs in the entire series

I actually really like most of the POVs in AFFC except for the Ironborn which I believed could have been done with only having the Drowned Prophet have his initial POV chapter and maybe cut out one of Victorian's chapters. I do like Victorian's last chapter though and the character of Crow's Eye fascinates me.

The Dorne chapters I think are a bit underrated mostly b/c 1) Areo is a badass and 2) The payoff makes it all worth it.

Cersei, Jamie, Arya, Samwell, and Sansa's are all really solid.

yacobod

Banned
some venting regarding the ADwDs spoilers...so don't blame me for your morbid curiosity if you decide to highlight this text and spoil yourself...what a troll GRRM

tumblr_lmpk76yoo51qbpxr5o1_400.jpg

would be if
Jon is really dead at the end of dance, or if he's not really dead and/or he's going to be resurrected or healed by Mel to be revealed to be the real Azor Ahai. here is the prophesy spoken of before in previous books "when the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone." This will occur after a long summer when an evil, cold darkness descends upon the world. It is said that The Prince that was Promised, wielding Lightbringer once again, will stand against the Others and if he fails, the world fails with him." so kinda of lame that Jon get's done in by brothers of the Nights Watch Julius Caeser style. And to leave off the novel on that cliffhanger when there is good chances that another novel may never come, i mean come the fuck on.

bengraven

ZephyrFate said:
Dude, watching her self-destruct is incredible.

The first time. You almost think she's in control the first time you read the first three books. But then you read Feast and realize she's insane with power. She's so desperate to keep her own goons around her and in places of power, but she fears intelligent men who might undermine her: she she weakens the kingdom by putting morons that are loyal to her in the Small Council.

Okay, that does sound cool....

but I hate her so badly I can't enjoy it.

Sleepy

I will not go looking for leaks. I will not go looking for leaks. I will not go looking for leaks.

However, I am not buying the HC (not worth the $18 in my mind, especially since I got the first four for the 3.99 deal a few years ago). And I am 18th in line at my local library. :(

methodman

Banned
Help Me! said:
I will not go looking for leaks. I will not go looking for leaks. I will not go looking for leaks.

However, I am not buying the HC (not worth the $18 in my mind, especially since I got the first four for the 3.99 deal a few years ago). And I am 18th in line at my local library. :(

not worth 18? you serious right now? how are you going to come in a thread with a ton of huge asoiaf fans and act like 18 is too much for the 5th book in the series. I've bought 5 books in the Sword of Truth series, shit was a waste of money but I still wouldn't have gotten the PDF's off the internet without purchasing the real book later on.

C'mon man.

bengraven

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I just read the first two or three words of yacobod's spoiler on accident (fucking smart phones!).

I'm going to go hang myself now if it's true.

edit: I don't even want to read it now. Fucking a, why the hell did I come into this thread on a smart phone. Why the hell did he start his spoiler off with the actual meat of the spoiler immediately. and why the fuck would martin do that after setting up so much shit unless it's either a fake or it's another "brienne/davos" situation where they're probably not really dead.

Puddles

Banned
Regarding that spoiler:

I can't see how Jon would really be dead. I'm assuming that the 100 men Cersei sent to the Wall would be responsible. That would just be poor storytelling if so. Cersei sends people to the Wall to kill Jon, we know about it way in advance, they go to the Wall, and... they actually succeed in killing him. That's way below the caliber of storytelling I've come to expect from GRRM.

Help Me! said:

If you can't spend $18 on a book, gtfo. Seriously, step your fiances up

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Help Me! said:

Fucking LOL!!

Nesotenso

Ok fuck, I read all the spoilers. Couldn't help myself. Holy Shit if true

POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Think the whole Jon ending is a fake out. Jon's chapters seem the best part of the book and he is the only one who seems to show growth. " Kill the boy" and all that.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
shit real spoilers are here now? i'm outtie

Help Me! said:

get a job

Dresden

ezrarh said:
1 for the bookshelf
1 in the bathroom
1 in your backpack just to carry at all times
and 1 to loan out?
Nah, more like

1 waterdamaged (paperback)
1 with the paper falling out (MMP)
1 regular paperback (after the change in cover)
1 hardcover

bluemax

Banned
ULTRA MEGA SPOILER WARNING

A review has been posted by a guy who got his copy early. The review isn't a professional review by any means but its stupidly spoiler heavy.

I'll link it if people are interested but for now I won't.

I will say that there's gonna be a lot of bitter tears when people finish reading this book.

bluemax said:

A review has been posted by a guy who got his copy early. The review isn't a professional review by any means but its stupidly spoiler heavy.

I will say that there's gonna be a lot of bitter tears when people finish reading this book.

Seriously bro, you've been waiting for years to read the book. I don't understand your logic here, of spoiling the entire book for yourself.

Puddles

Banned
It would be funny if it turns out GRRM is as much of a troll as Shyamalan and he wrote the first few books only so he could completely destroy our hopes and dreams over the course of the last few.

Skilletor

PhoenixDark said:
Seriously bro, you've been waiting for years to read the book. I don't understand your logic here, of spoiling the entire book for yourself.

I don't care about what happens. I care about how.

I would like a link to the review, please. PM!

PhoenixDark said:

Spoilers don't bother me. Knowing what happens doesn't make me less interested in what I'm watching/reading and can actually make the first read better as I don't get annoyed waiting 100 pages for next chapter told from that PoV.

What was posted wasn't really a review. It was a detailed summary of the book followed by a few thoughts about it.

yacobod

Banned
ya spoilers don't really bother me, its about the journey for me and not exactly the destination. it depends though, but for the most part thats how i feel.

Nesotenso

bluemax said:

Yeah I am guessing we read the same spoilers and review.

Nesotenso

Skilletor said:
I don't care about what happens. I care about how.

I would like a link to the review, please. PM!

I can PM you the link but are you sure you want it? I myself don't mind early spoilers.

yacobod

Banned
is everyone talking about the guy Stefano on tower of the hand live blogging and posting summaries/comments of every chapter in ADwD? or is it something different?

methodman

Banned
I wish the publisher was smarter. Should have allowed spoiler free reviews to be released early, with spoiler reviews embargoed. Now that there's nothing allowed, people are fiending for any type of ASoIaF news they can get, regardless how spoiler filled.

bengraven

I can understand not caring about spoilers months early.

But just a few days away after such a long wait?

Just read it and be surprised.

methodman

Banned
bengraven said:

I understand it. It's been, what, 11 years for some of our favorite characters to have a new story? People have been waiting so fucking long, it's hard for some to hold back.

Nesotenso

Yeah there is no way of confirming if the posted spoilers are true until we get the book in our hands.

But I am willing to bet that finishing this one will make me frustrated that the next one ,Winds of Winter, might be a long way off.

Skilletor

bengraven said:

I don't read it for the surprise. I care a lot about these characters.

I'm in no way comparing the quality of these books to Ultimate Spiderman here, but, as an example:

I've been reading Ultimate Spidey for 11 years. Bendis is a great writer. I fucking love Peter Parker.

The latest arc is called Death of Spiderman. I've known he was going to die for awhile, but when it happened, I was still shocked at my reaction. There's a pic of Uncle Ben holding Peter by the shoulder saying, "You did good, kid." and I just about choke up. I knew he was going to die. How it happened mattered more than what happened.

I still shake my head at Ned Stark's death. It makes me sad every time. Knowing that it happens doesn't change my feelings. I can understand people who want it fresh going in. But I don't care, at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom