• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

FUCK ME a friend of mine who has only watched the TV series said he was spoiled in WoW trade chat. I actually came to tell you guys this before anyone logged on and then I noticed what PD said.

Edit: ^^^^ and trade. For the love of Christ don't go to trade!

FYI this was Gilneas server.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I looked at the last POV this morning. Don't really consider that a spoiler myself and don't regret doing so.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The following is a ADWD spoiler explaining who the final unknown POV character is:

Jon Connington

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
There is an informal agreement just out of courtesy to tag stuff until the 12th. But technically they don't have to and while it was a pretty inoffensive spoiler this time it'll surely keep happening with worse and worse things. Which is why smarter men than I have already left this thread.

Fjordson said:
The fuck...I don't even remember who that is.
He was the Hand to the Mad King Aerys.

I honestly don't know if that should be spoilered or not as it was talked about briefly in the series.

Fjordson

ZephyrFate said:

I honestly don't know if that should be spoilered or not as it was talked about briefly in the series.
Ohh, shit. That'll probably be good then. Guess I need to hit up Tower of the Hand. I didn't recognize the name at all.

Skilletor

I don't care about spoilers. I sought them out.

I am more hype than ever.

For me how things happen is far more important than the what.

If the spoilers are true, Martin is the ballsiest fuck ever.

methodman

Banned
Skilletor said:

I didn't look for the spoilers, but read them in a forum about the SF Giants (during a Giants / Cubs gameday thread). Was pretty fucking pissed about it, but you're right. Martin is a ballsy motherfucker if what I read was true. I'm hyped more then ever right now to read how it all comes together.

Skilletor said:

If that's true, people are gonna rage and I'm gonna fucking love the shit out of A Dance With Dragons!!

if you guys are talking about what i think you're talking about

SUPER HUGE ADWD SPOILER
it's not that ballsy since jon is probably still alive. he has to get off the wall somehow and this would be a good excuse without him having to breaking his vows

methodman

Banned
hermitpurple said:
if you guys are talking about what i think you're talking about

SUPER HUGE ADWD SPOILER
it's not that ballsy since jon is probably still alive. he has to get off the wall somehow and this would be a good excuse to break his vow

CONTINUING SUPER HUGE ADWD SPOILER

I hope so man. I fucking hope so. Jon is my favorite character in my favorite book series ever. I hope he doesn't die this early :(

But... if Martin did do that... I think I'd love him more than I've ever loved any other human being. Not only would it be unprecedented in the realm of fantasy, but of the series and for the fans. I think it would really test the fanbase.

And I would love it.

The reactions thus far seem to suggest something huge. Really the only thing I could possibly think of is Dany or Jon dying, which always struck me as unlikely. There was a negative critique of Martin some time ago that pointed out Jon, Dany, and Tyrion were clearly the heroes on the series and were as untouchable as any other fantasy trope characters. I could see them dying, but not in ADWD...

PhoenixDark said:
The reactions thus far seem to suggest something huge. Really the only thing I could possibly think of is Dany or Jon dying, which always struck me as unlikely. There was a negative critique of Martin some time ago that pointed out Jon, Dany, and Tyrion were clearly the heroes on the series and were as untouchable as any other fantasy trope characters. I could see them dying, but not in ADWD...
Makes you wonder if he saw that critique and wants to go against it? I don't know. I think if he did any of that, the Internet would explode in nerdrage.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The first review a bit back hinted at one thing

More people return, then die

Fair chance it has something to do with that.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Amazon.de is having more issues, delivery date just pushed 14 days back (they will probably send it out around 12th of July)

But their best line is 'Delivery date can change very rapidly'

Ænima

PhoenixDark said:
I kind of hope it is Dany dying. Her character really hasn't been that interesting to me since book 1. I think it would be cool to see someone else take control of the dragons and head to Westeros. I'm sure I am in the minority with that opinion though.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
ZephyrFate said:

book 5 pov character

He was also a good friend of Rhaegar's, as well as being present at the Tourney at Harrenhal and other events. So we could potentially learn a lot.

Gambit

got my book via amazon.de today.

I cannot believe I finally have it, after the years of waiting. Yet, I could slap myself. After finishing Storm of Swords, I was bored with Feast and stopped reading it. I thought I would time it to the release of Dance. So I have started Feast for Crows a couple days ago, thinking I'd easily be finished by the 12th. Now the book came early and I am in the strange situation that I have waited for the book for years and am still not ready for it when it did arrive.

Anyway, with all the spoilers, I shall take my leave of you now.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
There's always fake spoilers out there. People know there are real ones so they say ridiculous shit to make people angry. I'm sure the majority of what has been posted is real though.

Gambit

methodman said:
You havent even finished AFFC? Send ADwD my way I can finish by friday

I bet you could, but I shall marathon Feast till Friday and then go dancing. But it is rather embarassing.

Alex Ross cover for the graphic novel adaptation:
GoThrones01-Cov-Virgincen.jpg

holy fuck i got spoiled on gamefaqs

GRRM said some of these might not be true:

Jon gets stabbed, don't know if he dies
Kevan gets killed by Varys
Aurane Waters is baby Aegon
Quentyn marries Dany
Stannis is killed by Ramsay at Winterfell

I just read through the 'red wedding'. I feel like burning this fucking book. Why is this author so bloodthirsty? What a shitty, shitty way for these characters to die. For so long I kept imagining the reunion scenes between Rob, Caitlin and the rest. Why do they all deserve such pathetic deaths? Why the fuck did Caitlin need to die? For me, she was the one bringing everything together, I looked forward to her POVs as she always crystallized the tragedy of the situation, and both she and Robb were the strongest ties to Ned, and we felt vengeance and retribution through them. Now all thats left of starks is fucking kids running around. I don't even care about reading anymore, there's hardly a character left I even give a shit about. My main motivation for reading was to get SOME joy out of the retribution Robb would rain down, or at least Caitlin reuniting with ONE of her kids. All that's left now is kids wandering around aimlessly, being endlessly kidnapped and wed to random people, and evil, treacherous fucks that I all want dead anyway. I can't even find anyone to root for anymore, try as I might. Is this being 'ballsy', killing off every single character of interest? Fuck it all.

Fjordson

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
I just read through the 'red wedding'. I feel like burning this fucking book. Why is this author so bloodthirsty? What a shitty, shitty way for these characters to die. For so long I kept imagining the reunion scenes between Rob, Caitlin and the rest. Why do they all deserve such pathetic deaths? Why the fuck did Caitlin need to die? For me, she was the one bringing everything together, I looked forward to her POVs as she always crystallized the tragedy of the situation, and both she and Robb were the strongest ties to Ned, and we felt vengeance and retribution through them. Now all thats left of starks is fucking kids running around. I don't even care about reading anymore, there's hardly a character left I even give a shit about. My main motivation for reading was to get SOME joy out of the retribution Robb would rain down, or at least Caitlin reuniting with ONE of her kids. All that's left now is kids and evil, treacherous fucks that I all want dead anyway. I can't even find anyone to root for anymore, try as I might. Fuck it all.
RiLlj.gif

I love ASoIaF reactions. I felt the same way at first. Just don't quit reading.

Edit: Though I never felt that the Red Wedding killed off all the interesting characters in the series. Not even close.

I was really sad about Robb, though.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
I just read through the 'red wedding'. I feel like burning this fucking book. Why is this author so bloodthirsty? What a shitty, shitty way for these characters to die. For so long I kept imagining the reunion scenes between Rob, Caitlin and the rest. Why do they all deserve such pathetic deaths? Why the fuck did Caitlin need to die? For me, she was the one bringing everything together, I looked forward to her POVs as she always crystallized the tragedy of the situation, and both she and Robb were the strongest ties to Ned, and we felt vengeance and retribution through them. Now all thats left of starks is fucking kids running around. I don't even care about reading anymore, there's hardly a character left I even give a shit about. My main motivation for reading was to get SOME joy out of the retribution Robb would rain down, or at least Caitlin reuniting with ONE of her kids. All that's left now is kids wandering around aimlessly, being endlessly kidnapped and wed to random people, and evil, treacherous fucks that I all want dead anyway. I can't even find anyone to root for anymore, try as I might. Is this being 'ballsy', killing off every single character of interest? Fuck it all.
You should always root for Bronn.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Is the 1st July release true for Australia?

that harpercollins link people were referring to says the 12th now

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
martintrollface.jpg

Paradoxal_Utopia said:

Oh, man. I can't wait for S3 of GoT. The whole world needs to feel our pain.

But, yeah, this whole "I need to find someone to root for who is clean and pure" attitude is just bizarre to me: because, well, flawed (that is: realistically complex) characters are awesome and there are definitely a number of "white hat" root-able--no, don't snicker!--characters in the series.

Ikael

Gotta love how people reacts to the Red Wedding. Also, I cannot comprenhend how some people belive that "every relatable character has been killed". Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon >>>>> Rob & Catelyn, period.

About the possiblity of a major character death on ADWTD (speculation, NOT spoilers):

First, let's define what a "major" character is. I would consider in the "First tier characters":

Jon -Duh. The Mary Sue of this series (or the closest thing to one that we have ever had), promised R+L son, blah, blah, blah.
Tyrion. Martin's favourite character, and it shows.
Daenerys. Conqueror - Queen, mother of Dragons, etc, etc, etc.
Ayra. Fan favourite, one of the few remaining Starks alive by now.
Jaime. One of the most complex character of the books, he also happens to be the rightful heir of his house now that Cersei is kinda out of the game.

All things considered, I think that the two most plausible ones would be either Tyrion or Ayra, if only due to the fact that they influenciate little, if anything in the grand scheme of things.

Ayra is a really cool character, but right now she is not able to rule over a kingdom, she is not the first in the line of sucession of her house, and considering her actual job, she has many chances to be killed, me thinks. Her death would mean little in the Game of Thrones, but quite a lot to the readers.

Tyrion's influence is basically nullified at this point. He has been stripped of his titles, he is a persecuted criminal in Westeros, and as far as we know (ADWTD preview chapter spoilers)
he has been captured by slave traders
. Also, it would be deliciously dramatic if Jaime never finds out about his last lie.

bengraven

Goddammit why has this thread risen from it's grave. Go back foul beast! Ne'er crawl from that stagnant, eldrich tomb until the 12th of July!

O! Lord spoilers!? I shall not click, for my reserve is stronger than that!

please reserve stay strong

also, yes, i've been reading solomon kane while waiting

Azrael

bengraven said:
Goddammit why has this thread risen from it's grave. Go back foul beast! Ne'er crawl from that stagnant, eldrich tomb until the 12th of July!

O! Lord spoilers!? I shall not click, for my reserve is stronger than that!

please reserve stay strong

also, yes, i've been reading solomon kane while waiting

The publisher's stupid review embargo is partially to blame for this mess. The blackout of responsible critics from sharing spoiler-free reviews and impressions of the book pre-release created a vacuum that is making it harder for excited fans to avoid spoilers.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
If you stop reading now you'll be kicking yourself later. Keep on truckin'.

q_q

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
I don't know, I feel like that's kind of the point of the story. Anyone can die under any circumstance no matter what, and the "hero" of the story isn't always going to win. It's not my favorite type of story but love it or hate it it is what it is.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Ikael said:
Gotta love how people reacts to the Red Wedding. Also, I cannot comprenhend how some people belive that "every relatable character has been killed". Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon >>>>> Rob & Catelyn, period.

About the possiblity of a major character death on ADWTD (speculation, NOT spoilers):

First, let's define what a "major" character is. I would consider in the "First tier characters":

Jon -Duh. The Mary Sue of this series (or the closest thing to one that we have ever had), promised R+L son, blah, blah, blah.
Tyrion. Martin's favourite character, and it shows.
Daenerys. Conqueror - Queen, mother of Dragons, etc, etc, etc.
Ayra. Fan favourite, one of the few remaining Starks alive by now.
Jaime. One of the most complex character of the books, he also happens to be the rightful heir of his house now that Cersei is kinda out of the game.

All things considered, I think that the two most plausible ones would be either Tyrion or Ayra, if only due to the fact that they influenciate little, if anything in the grand scheme of things.

Ayra is a really cool character, but right now she is not able to rule over a kingdom, she is not the first in the line of sucession of her house, and considering her actual job, she has many chances to be killed, me thinks. Her death would mean little in the Game of Thrones, but quite a lot to the readers.

Tyrion's influence is basically nullified at this point. He has been stripped of his titles, he is a persecuted criminal in Westeros, and as far as we know (ADWTD preview chapter spoilers)
he has been captured by slave traders
. Also, it would be deliciously dramatic if Jaime never finds out about his last lie.
Your predictions are based entirely on the assumption that he is more likely to kill off a character with little importance than one with major importance. When has this ever been true? Remember what series you're reading.

I think Tyrion is by far the least likely to die, and Jon is probably pretty far up there in potential for next major character death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom