• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling some asshole will post ADWD spoilers unmarked here, then say "hey, the thread title says I didn't do anything wrong!"

so yea...peace i'm out the door

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sticking to GAF (outside of this thread), RPS and a few other select places until I've finished the book. Fuck getting spoiled.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Tucah said:
Paperback will probably come out in a year or so, that's how it is for most books.

Basileus777 said:
Publishers makes their money off of the hard covers and then release the mass market paperbacks later.

Mind. Blown. Never even considered they weren't released at the same time.

dave is ok said:
GRRM's publisher asked Westeros.org to take down its ADWD forums. This should end well

It's kind of ridiculous for a publisher to dictate forum spoiler policy on a book sold legally.

LegendofJoe said:
I hope karma comes back to wreck that a-hole.

I'm pretty upset about it. And part of me wants to check out more spoilers deliberately just to find out the context of what I learned.

methodman

Banned
Basileus777 said:
It's kind of ridiculous for a publisher to dictate forum spoiler policy on a book sold legally.

I'm kind of depressed about it. Part of me wants to check out more spoilers deliberately just to find out the context of what I learned.
These publishers are being douchebags, lol. NDA's on reviews? What? Why not make reviewers have two reviews, one released early without spoilers and one after the 12th with them? Taking a whole forum down because of a book bought legally through amazon.de? Uh?

I guess the reviews make sense, but the latter is terrible

Basileus777 said:
I'm pretty upset about it. And part of me wants to check out more spoilers deliberately just to find out the context of what I learned.

I imagine that would be pretty difficult to do without spoiling more for yourself. You'd probably be better off waiting until you can get your hands on a complete copy of the book.

methodman said:
These publishers are being douchebags, lol. NDA's on reviews? What? Why not make reviewers have two reviews, one released early without spoilers and one after the 12th with them? Taking a whole forum down because of a book bought legally through amazon.de? Uh?

I guess the reviews make sense, but the latter is terrible

Review embargoes make some sense because they are providing the book early to reviewers, and can deny reviewers early access in the future if they break it. But why the hell do they care about a sub-forum on Westeros? Why is Westeros even complying with a publisher demand on this? It's very strange.

LegendofJoe said:
I imagine that would be pretty difficult to do without spoiling more for yourself. You'd probably be better off waiting until you can get your hands on a complete copy of the book.

Yeah, it's not a good idea. Though I was ok with the wait before this spoiler, but waiting too weeks now is going to be terrible.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The publisher obviously has no legal basis for making them do this but I imagine westeros just would rather stay in GRRM's good graces.

methodman

Banned
bluemax said:
So I'm weak and googled for some spoilers. I won't post them but if they were legit all I can say is "WTF George?".
Fuckkkkkkkk. I'm so close to doing the same thing, but no. I just can't do it

methodman said:
Fuckkkkkkkk. I'm so close to doing the same thing, but no. I just can't do it

Don't do it. I wish I didn't know what I learned. Just knowing X happened is so unsatisfying and frustrating without the context.

bluemax

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Don't do it. I wish I didn't know what I learned. Just knowing X happened is so unsatisfying and frustrating without the context.

Agreed. A lot of the spoiler stuff seems potentially misleading without context.

BeeDog

bluemax said:
So I'm weak and googled for some spoilers. I won't post them but if they were legit all I can say is "WTF George?".

"WTF" as in they're utterly shit, or "WTF" as in the Red Wedding "WTF"?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I definitely understand the importance of context, and maybe I'm just being too worried, but I can think of several events that, regardless of any context, would be absolutely horrible if GRRM wanted to fuck with people. With everyone freaking out those are what are naturally coming to my head.

BeeDog

Hmm, alright. Makes me even more curious about the new book then! I just hope it's not the first epic fail in the series (yes, I liked AFfC!).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
funk0ar said:
Release was pushed early in Europe?!?! Yesss!!! Gonna be in Milan in 2 days! Fuck yeahhhhhhh
Amazon.de will send book out on 4th of July. Dunno about other bookstores...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm OUT

Fortunately my general message board consumption is contained to two forums and I can easily phase out what I need to phase out. This is my first time dealing with an information embargo to a series I've invested four books. I can see how Harry Potter fans felt during a book release.

DieH@rd

Banned
Amazon has fucked up and shipped early copies of Dance with Dragons to its German users. Expect heavy spoilers on the web tomorrow.

BlueTsunami said:
I'm OUT

Fortunately my general message board consumption is contained to two forums and I can easily phase out what I need to phase out. This is my first time dealing with an information embargo to a series I've invested four books. I can see how Harry Potter fans felt during a book release.

I would suggest you put Triumph on ignore at the other forum, given his past behavior with spoilers

Azrael

Basileus777 said:
Review embargoes make some sense because they are providing the book early to reviewers, and can deny reviewers early access in the future if they break it. But why the hell do they care about a sub-forum on Westeros? Why is Westeros even complying with a publisher demand on this? It's very strange.

The administrators of Westeros.org are co-writing a book with GRRM, World of Ice and Fire.

bengraven

I haven't checked the other forum in a while, so I'll just stay away.

He's banned here.

And fuck me, I can just see someone with a lurker account who will come into a random thread and bomb us here.

Azrael said:
The administrators of Westeros.org are co-writing a book with GRRM, World of Ice and Fire.

Yea, Ran and his wife have known Martin for more than a decade and helped cultivate his fanbase. It's not surprising he's complying as he's essentially a caretaker of the series.

methodman

Banned
Fuck me. Someone on a SF Giants forum just spoiled something in a fucking thread about the giants game today. Out of fucking nowhere with an adwd comment. what the fuck.

methodman

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
was it a major spoiler, like a death? holy shit
:*(. I hope what I read wasn't real. I just wanted to Post about the giants whoopin on the Cubs....

Damn itttttt give me the fuckin book already

bengraven

God, it's begun! If it's spread beyond Westeros and 4chan, then we're doomed.

I remember some of the spoilers I received were fake (Theon kills Robb among others) but I can't risk it.

Later for reals.

bluemax

Banned
bengraven said:
God, it's begun! If it's spread beyond Westeros and 4chan, then we're doomed.

I remember some of the spoilers I received were fake (Theon kills Robb among others) but I can't risk it.

Later for reals.

The first place I found with actual spoilers was Gamefaqs of all places, but I don't know if they're legit (aside from the PoVs which are all over the place).

method man if it's any consolation your story has resolved me to leave all message boards for the next two weeks. I'll see you on the weekend after the 12th gaf.

The only semi spoiler I've seen is a surprising POV character not announced. I think if you stick to GAF you'll be alright. I'll just be posted in the "ASOIAF is gud" thread since it demands spoiler tags.

There are ADWD spoiler bots on twitter btw, so you might want to stay off there.

KingK

Spoilers spreading so quickly? Damn.

I'm guessing the chances of Amazon (US) and other places just releasing the book early are rather slim?

Oh well, at least I'll have the Uncharted 3 beta to keep me busy. Hopefully there aren't any douchebags who post spoilers in one of those topics, lol.

Bah I just realized WoW could be a bastion of spoilers. And I was planning on coming back for the new patch :(

maybe if I stay out of cities..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom