• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eteric Rice

The Doom of Valyria seemed more like an earthquake, volcano, or maybe a meteorite. I don't think that's the whole story of course, since there's talks of demons. Whatever happened unleashed something.

I'm just going by the map, and by the part that said the Valryians tamed dragons from near by volcanoes or something.

CrunchyB said:
Tyrion mentioned a unique book locked away in the Citadel containing secrets about dragons. And we know the Faceless Men of Braavos were opposing the old Valyrian dragonriders.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if he's there to find that book. It's also possible that he's gathering intel on what the Citadel is up to, since we now know that they're players in the game, and not just subservient. There were several more hints to the Maesters status as players in the game in this book, too.

Been thinking about the ending while eating dinner and ugh the Pink Letter in Jon's last chapter is going to haunt me daily until Winds of Winter releases. Why George? Why?

Puddles

Banned
Tyrion isn't a fucking Targaryen. If he is, that would be a pretty horrible decision, on the same level as a lame comic-retcon. If that happened, I'd expect the next revelation to be that the Sandor Clegane who died was actually a Skrull.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if he's there to find that book. It's also possible that he's gathering intel on what the Citadel is up to, since we now know that they're players in the game, and not just subservient. There were several more hints to the Maesters status as players in the game in this book, too.
This is the kind of shit that just makes me mad about this book. Instead of all of these dozens of cool things going on, we get intricate shavepate mo kirznak bo biznak and daario twilight lusting for half the book.

yacobod

Banned
Puddles said:
Tyrion isn't a fucking Targaryen. If he is, that would be a pretty horrible decision, on the same level as a lame comic-retcon. If that happened, I'd expect the next revelation to be that the Sandor Clegane who died was actually a Skrull.

i agree. i mean it might not be a full on comic retcon like i said earlier in this thread because GURM did put in some red herrings that you could maybe twist into being a basis for saying that, but it would be pretty retarded. it would pretty much ruin the character, but i guess we would get dueling POV incest sex scenes with Dany and Tyrion. :)

Puddles said:

Sandor Clegane is alive, though. He's the big gravedigger on the Quiet Isle. The Elder Brother specifically says that "The Hound" is dead, and tells a story about he essentially died and was reborn after the Battle on the Trident when he washed up there. When asked further if Sandor is dead, he says that he is "at peace".

For what it's worth, I think there's a greater chance of Jaime and Cersei being the ones sired by Aerys (if indeed any of the kids were). It would add more to whole bit with Tywin being upset when Genna said Tyrion was his true son (because it would be reminding him of that fact), and it would also result in Jaime and Tyrion having both killed their father. The only real hint is Cersei watching the flames when she burned the Tower, but it's something.

Personally, I think Martin is just messing around with folks, though.

If Lyanna isn't Jon's mother I would LOVE for whoever she is to be alive and meet up with Jon. It will never happen though, it's not Martin's style.

jett

D-Member
LegendofJoe said:
If Lyanna isn't Jon's mother I would LOVE for whoever she is to be alive and meet up with Jon. It will never happen though, it's not Martin's style.

It'd be as ridiculous as Tyrion finding Tysha.

jett said:
It'd be as ridiculous as Tyrion finding Tysha.

Agreed, it isn't exactly Martin's thing to give his fans what they want (or expect). Neither of these things will happen, they'd be too satisfying for his readers. The guy is a dick, and a massive one at that.

Eteric Rice

Didn't it say something about someone saying they saw a guy walking around with sticks that had the head of a pig and a dog on them?

But he didn't want to upset Penny, so he kept it a secret.

kswiston

Eteric Rice said:
Didn't it say something about someone saying they saw a guy walking around with sticks that had the head of a pig and a dog on them?

But he didn't want to upset Penny, so he kept it a secret.

Just the dog.

Someone was walking around asking about dwarfs while holding the dogs head on a stick.

Emerson said:
As sad as it is there's really no reason the pig would still be alive, even if it wasn't mentioned.

I don't think it's sad at all. Penny's entire identity revolved around being carnival entertainment for 'big' people. Tyrion justifiably despises this, and hopefully will show Penny a better way to live. Also I love the connection to Penny's name and Tyrion's brothel tax in ACOK - "the dwarf's penny."

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
LegendofJoe said:
I don't think it's sad at all. Penny's entire identity revolved around being carnival entertainment for 'big' people. Tyrion justifiably despises this, and hopefully will show Penny a better way to live.

I mean, yeah, but... how could you not feel sad for a dog named Crunch?

Emerson said:
I mean, yeah, but... how could you not feel sad for a dog named Crunch?

I did feel remorse, but in the end it's a dog. As much as I love dogs (seriously I think higher of some dogs than I do some people) end in the end Penny and Tyrion's freedom are more important than Crunch's life.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
LegendofJoe said:
I did feel remorse, but in the end it's a dog. As much as I love dogs (seriously I think higher of some dogs than I do some people) end in the end Penny and Tyrion's freedom are more important than Crunch's life.

Definitely not arguing that. But it's still sad. You said:

I don't think it's sad at all

Emerson said:
Definitely not arguing that. But it's still sad. You said:

I was referring to the pig then. I know they're highly intelligent, but most people don't keep them for pets. I think of them as food, i.e. bacon.

Puddles

Banned
Yeah, both animals are food by now. I don't imagine the Yunkish supply chain is holding up too well between the bloody flux and the fact that Mereen's farmland was destroyed.

Btw, am I correct in thinking that the bloody flux is basically cholera?

CrunchyB

Another thing I just realized. Both Moqorro and Melisandre received the kiss of life in the past. Mel doesn't need to eat. Moqorro drifted in the sea for a week without water, so I think it's safe to assume the same goes for him.

Mel also remarks that she's been training for years beyond count and she has no slave tattoo, even though she was likely a slave once. She probably uses a glamor to disguise herself. It might even be that the glamor glitched when Jon looked at her one time, because for a split second he sees Ygritte instead. In the third Dunk & Egg story there was a glamor which malfunctioned briefly as well.

Puddles said:
Btw, am I correct in thinking that the bloody flux is basically cholera?

Nope, it's dysentry.

kswiston

CrunchyB said:
Another thing I just realized. Both Moqorro and Melisandre received the kiss of life in the past. Mel doesn't need to eat. Moqorro drifted in the sea for a week without water, so I think it's safe to assume the same goes for him.

Mel also remarks that she's been training for years beyond count and she has no slave tattoo, even though she was likely a slave once. She probably uses a glamor to disguise herself. It might even be that the glamor glitched when Jon looked at her one time, because for a split second he sees Ygritte instead. In the third Dunk & Egg story there was a glamor which malfunctioned briefly as well.

Could be that high order red priests don't need to eat for other reasons? They don't necessarily have to be dead.

jett

D-Member
kswiston said:
Could be that high order red priests don't need to eat for other reasons? They don't necessarily have to be dead.

Actually, now that I think about it I'm sure Melisandre is dead. She seemed worried about people finding out about her not having to eat.

CrunchyB

kswiston said:

They're not dead, they're simply alive again (or reborn) and don't need to eat. They can still die a second time, as Beric demonstrated.

jett said:
I wonder how is the show going to handle this book. They jettisoned Jeyne Poole.

She is mentioned a bit, but it would have been a lot for them if they'd included some brown haired girl as an extra with Sansa in a couple of scenes at King's Landing, then actually cast the role at the tail end of ASOS.

For Melisandre not eating I just got of took it as some Ice and Fire version of a yogi. Had this guy come talk to my class in college and talk about how he hadn't eaten in 40 years. He got all his nutrients from the sun. I was thinking Mel may just get all her shit from the sun or fire in general. But that's just an assumption I made.

Gonaria said:
You know itll be Ros the whore

Fortunately she's way too old for anyone to realistically believe that she's Arya. Otherwise they would totally do it.

Piecake

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
She is mentioned a bit, but it would have been a lot for them if they'd included some brown haired girl as an extra with Sansa in a couple of scenes at King's Landing, then actually cast the role at the tail end of ASOS.

You know itll be Ros the whore

jett

D-Member
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:

For Melisandre not eating I just got of took it as some Ice and Fire version of a yogi. Had this guy come talk to my class in college and talk about how he hadn't eaten in 40 years. He got all his nutrients from the sun. I was thinking Mel may just get all her shit from the sun or fire in general. But that's just an assumption I made.

Fortunately she's way too old for anyone to realistically believe that she's Arya. Otherwise they would totally do it.

lol.

kswiston

CrunchyB said:
They're not dead, they're simply alive again (or reborn) and don't need to eat. They can still die a second time, as Beric demonstrated.

You could be right. Perhaps that is a ritual performed on (some) red priests, similar to being drowned in the iron islands. Mel and the other priest definitely look better/less dead than Berric and Cat who were clearly dead.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
kswiston said:
Two things.

Thoros was Robert's Drinking buddy. He clearly drinks at the very least, while Mel never did. Of course, he didn't know about his power till after Benad died, and he revived him. So he was clearly an incomplete one at the very least. *Hint, this is exactly what is going to happen to Jon*

Mel also mentioned how the fire lord provides everything to here. And how magic has been returning more strongly to the world.

kswiston

shintoki said:
Two things.

Thoros was Robert's Drinking buddy. He clearly drinks at the very least, while Mel never did. Of course, he didn't know about his power till after Benad died, and he revived him. So he was clearly an incomplete one at the very least. *Hint, this is exactly what is going to happen to Jon*

Mel also mentioned how the fire lord provides everything to here. And how magic has been returning more strongly to the world.

I always took it that Thoros was a fairly lackluster Red Priest. He had some talents, but wasn't exactly the top of his order. The Dragons returning gave a huge power boost to all the sects/magical orders based on Fire. Book 2 mentions the Pyromancers being able to do things they have not done in over a century.

Not a big deal if it's true or not but I have to wonder if Bloodraven skinchanges into Mormont's crow and the big tomcat Arya chases in King's Landing (that was owned by Rhaenys?).

cubicle47b said:
Not a big deal if it's true or not but I have to wonder if Bloodraven skinchanges into Mormont's crow and the big tomcat Arya chases in King's Landing (that was owned by Rhaenys?).

I think someone was definitely warging Mormont's crow. Bloodraven's probably been doing it for years, but I'll bet Bran was doing it when the crow said, "Jon Snow."

yacobod

Banned
Ya and I'd agree that the crow is a warg, and who knows maybe former Lord Commander Mormont was a warg, and he's just passed onto his bird now.

So what is the line on how long its going to actually take GURM to finish up TWOW if he's not going to start until 2012? +/- 4 years?

If I was a gambling man I'd take the over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom