• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Very Murray Christmas |OT| And a Happy New Year! On Netflix Dec. 4th (Bill Murray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
db6cbDs.jpg

Bill Murray worries no one will show up to his T.V. show due to a terrible snow-storm in New York City.

Release date: It will be available on Netflix on December 4th.

Links:

Reviews:
  • Deadline:
    Like any good variety show, as is the case here, there are a ton of tunes and cameos from Maya Rudolph, New York Dolls frontman David Johansen, Michael Cera, Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Jason Schwartzman and a very reluctant Chris Rock among those showing up.

Director: Sofia Coppola

Cast:

33gf4ae.jpg

Bill Murray

CrDdCwX.jpg

Paul Shaffer

zm1UtdV.jpg

George Clooney

JjJzSPT.jpg

Michael Cera

V85ZSN5.jpg

Amy Poehler

jE44N9w.jpg

Miley Cyrus

y7j1LfN.jpg

Jason Schwartzman

7dYgovL.jpg

Maya Rudolph

yJIbikw.png

Chris Rock

rZ7riJO.png

Jenny Lewis

gsSvX8s.jpg

David Johansen

Promo Pictures:

Tucah

you speak so well
Netflix has been on a roll recently and this should be a lot of fun, I can get behind a silly celebrity filled Christmas special starring fucking Bill Murray.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hollywood Reporter:

Premiering this Friday (Dec. 4), Netflix's A Very Murray Christmas is a boozy, snarky, melancholic gathering spiked with welcome whimsy, quirky celebrity cameos and effective doses of Yuletide earnestness. If there doesn't seem to be an avalanche of substance to this blizzard of nicely tempered sentiment, that's OK, because at only 56 minutes, A Very Murray Christmas requires a mere drop-in, leaving plenty of time to party with Frosty, Charlie Brown or your chosen nabobs of Noel.

Variety:

To call “A Very Murray Christmas” trifling is not necessarily an insult. There are probably quite a few people who’ve wondered what it would be like to spend an evening in a bar with Bill Murray, basking in the actor’s off-kilter sensibilities and listening to him and a few famous friends sing karaoke. True, there is a self-congratulatory air to the entire project, but at scarcely an hour, the special is so slender and slight that it doesn’t outstay its welcome. If the weather outside is frightful (or even if it’s tolerable), there are worse ways to spend a holiday-season hour than with Murray and his glamorous chums.

Mikeside

Billy Murray, Amy Poehler, Jenny Lewis, Michael Cera, Jason Schwartzman & Maya Rudolph??

It's like this was specifically made for me. I love all those people.

Osahi

The hell did I just watch?

I'm not saying i didn't enjoy it for it's murrayness, but i didn't really like it either...

J2 Cool

Thought that was pretty much terrible. Chris Rock is probably its one shining light, but mostly just felt awkward throughout.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm in the middle. Didn't hate, but didn't love it either.

Towards the end, I think it got better. Mostly the dream sequence stuff. Overall, I expected more from it.

Risible

It was merely OK. I was hoping for so much more, I suppose. The singing was all done in a very "We're not really trying" style for the most part, and it got to the point where I was thinking "Why am I watching people singing half-heartedly?" I love everyone involved, but ultimately is proved to be too slight.

Peru

Love this. Hits just the right mix of meta and real christmas je ne sais quoi, funny but heartfelt.

Galdius

I was expecting something different. The dream sequence was the best part, the rest could be a bit better but it was enjoyable.

Weetrick

Jenny Lewis stole the show. I don't regret watching it but I don't see it becoming an annual viewing tradition.

PaulloDEC

I like almost everyone in this, but the whole thing just sorta drifted by me. Can't say I'd particularly recommend it.

Socreges

Banned
I really liked it.... but I also went in with low expectations. And Bill Murray can do no wrong in my mind.

Also Jenny Lewis.. mind blown. Was immediately drawn to her. Probably because she's beautiful and has a nice voice. But I just realized she was Haley in The Wizard, probably my first 'celebrity crush' as a kid. Watched that movie an unhealthy amount of times on VHS.

Alienfan

The Miley Cyrus scenes were the only parts I actually enjoyed. The rest seemed like it was filmed in one take in order to make sure they didn't run out of money (having that many famous people on board, that were probably charging them by the second). Really uneven - and only worth watching for the dream sequence

glow

Banned
I got zero enjoyment out of watching this and it almost felt like that was the point. Another Sofia Coppola experiment gone wrong? Maybe I just didn't "get it" but when I press play on Netflix I expect to be mildly entertained at least. Next year just put Scrooged up instead, Netflix. Please.

I thought it started strong with Chris Rock and then sorta fizzled out.

Miley Cyrus was still kinda annoying, but she can sing very well.

Clooney was just - creepy. Poking his head out behind those trees. What exactly was his purpose there?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I thought it started strong with Chris Rock and then sorta fizzled out.

Clooney was just - creepy. Poking his head out behind those trees. What exactly was his purpose there?

As far as Clooney goes. I'd say that was the point. Using such a high profile actor for that.

SeanC

That's why I really can't stand her. She's incredibly talented and an amazing singer, but her "watch how crazy I can be guys!" attitude makes it seem like she doesn't trust her own talent and has to be a spectacle to get desperately noticed.

I drifted off halfway through, but woke up to a pogues cover and then the dream sequence. As others have said, Miley was actually the best part. Wasn't bad, but it wasn't really worth my time either. You could put it on in the background and it'd be fine.

I actually liked a lot of the musical performances. Jenny Lewis, Phoenix, Miley Cyrus were all really good.

It's been a long time since I've heard Miley Cyrus sing, and wow can she ever. It's such a shame that she has such a crappy personality/image/branding because she's obviously really talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom