• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later |OT| On Netflix Aug. 4, but waaay after 9:30

phanphare

Banned
just finished it

mixed feelings. it didn't feel right even though there were some funny parts throughout. they seemed to have lost the plot on what made the movie and first day of camp so good.

There were solid moments in this, and I liked how far they pushed the ridiculous stuff, but it was definitely the least of them all. Still enjoyable, but not as great as the film or First Day.

phanphare

Banned
3 episodes in, enjoying it but not as much as First Day or the Movie. Just feels like it's missing something

yeah I can't really put my finger on it but it just didn't feel right to me

it definitely didn't have those summer camp moments which was a big bummer for me

also I was super hyped for yaron returning. he was one of the highlights for me from first day of camp but his performance seemed really phoned in for this season which was another bummer

the only bit with him that really got me was (ep 7/8 spoiler can't remember)
the krav maga line

I think lifeless is a word I'd use for this season

Xero

Definitely less funny then the other 2, but i was happy to see what the characters were up to 10 years later so i was still entertained by it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm into this season. The laughs per minute arent the same but it makes you realize you have become invested in all these characters.

emrober5

This suffered from not being able to get the entire cast together, much like arrested development. It was okay, and I'm glad we got a new season, but the way certain scenes were shot because they couldn't get the actors all together at once was driving me crazy.

Paul Rudd, especially, but I did like how they kinda made it SO obvious that it was a joke.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The first episode had maybe 1 funny moment, I think. Really liked the movie and first season so I hope the first episode isn't how the rest is.

This suffered from not being able to get the entire cast together, much like arrested development. It was okay, and I'm glad we got a new season, but the way certain scenes were shot because they couldn't get the actors all together at once was driving me crazy.

Paul Rudd, especially, but I did like how they kinda made it SO obvious that it was a joke.

The donuts joke slayed me more than it had any right to.

Actually, they did many things this season that were funny simply because they were subverting their own formula.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Spoiler tags people.

You can throw around vague, contextless one-liners, but hide specifics please.

Socreges

Banned
I've watched an episode and a half. Really liking it so far. 🤷*♂️

Little details like the car crossing lanes as it passes the camera... the group having sayings that never existed before...lots of funny stuff to me, but definitely not for everyone.

Edit- did they have to put the male symbol next to the female emoji....

DJ_Lae

It's hit and miss, but I'm enjoying it so far. Just finished episode 5, which seemed to have the most consistent laughs of the season.

DeathyBoy

Banned

You gotta give Rudd serious props. Dude is likely nearly as busy as Cooper, but still shows up AND let's himself look like shit. I love that guy.

We'll scatter her teeth along the Merritt Parkway.

The whole scene leading up and then barrage of questions to end it was great.

'Did they really take control of satellites?'
'How did you build a fully operational bunker?'

Yup. I love how they took that as a way to gag on the ridiculousness of last seasons finale.

oatmeal

Banned
The David Hyde Pierce sitting in front of his Emmys and breaking character was so fucking funny.

I watched them consecutively and didn't stop laughing

VAD

Just binged it. I love all the shit with the
presidents
. The only disappointment was Andy, he felt like he was an afterthought.

The donuts joke slayed me more than it had any right to.

Actually, they did many things this season that were funny simply because they were subverting their own formula.

Zak Orth's reactions have been a highlight.

One thing I definitely do not like, 3 episodes in, is the new old friends. Their plotline ain't doing it for me. I just don't find them funny. Zak Orth making that bearable. It's humorous to see them integrated into old footage, but it feels like a novelty that's lost its luster already.

I don't think this feels phoned in at all though. Just missing the mark somewhere.

Still I'm early into this season, have hope it'll fit together better as it goes on.

I thought I was going senile being that there were these "returning" characters that I didn't recognize. Like is my memory really that bad?

Socreges

Banned
I thought I was going senile being that there were these "returning" characters that I didn't recognize. Like is my memory really that bad?
The first scene of the first episode which was actually filmed during the last season. Watch the entire scene. Keep an eye on Katie's belt. Report back.

First 4 episodes were good! Some laughs, some misses, and some in-between. How come MIB can get into shape but showwalter can't!

MIB never got out of shape, atleast not to the extent Showalter did. I think Show doesn't like to preform as much either. He directs a lot now. Less incentive to maintain looks.

Zak Orth's reactions have been a highlight.

One thing I definitely do not like, 3 episodes in, is the new old friends. Their plotline ain't doing it for me. I just don't find them funny. Zak Orth making that bearable. It's humorous to see them integrated into old footage, but it feels like a novelty that's lost its luster already.

I don't think this feels phoned in at all though. Just missing the mark somewhere.

Still I'm early into this season, have hope it'll fit together better as it goes on.

I think that Claire and Mark were added for the stereotypical couple from camp storyline. There wasn't anyone really from the main cast that had a storyline that fit the cultural reference that they were trying to hit.

border

I don't know if she just got screwed over by some poor makeup or bad camera angles, but Molly Shannon looks rough. She looks like she is late into her 60's here, even though she's only 52.

Also, that Bill Clinton is what nightmares are made of. His face is like a Halloween mask come to life.

Why isn't Wet Hot American Summer available to stream on Netflix? I'd really like to watch it, but for some reason only the two TV shows are available. You'd think they might want to support their original shows by making the movie available.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Why isn't Wet Hot American Summer available to stream on Netflix? I'd really like to watch it, but for some reason only the two TV shows are available. You'd think they might want to support their original shows by making the movie available.

Hm, the original actually was there for a long while, even before the series. I guess they still had a lease term with the original studio?

Although it's kinda strange that the documentary for the movie is still there.

ZeroX03

Banned
Watched it. Thought it was decent, enjoyed it and laughed.

But it was a real step down from the last two though. Felt like the "holy shit I can't believe we're doing this" vigor was gone. It was a more of the same kind of deal. Also for some reason it felt like it was missing a whole bunch of characters. They were all there, but didn't have the ensemble feel. It'd be cool to see them to do one last, truly final go around if they really wanted to, but I'm not sure how much more they can mine from it.

Loved David Hyde Pierce's part, totally get why he wasn't in the trailer.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Well, I teared up at the end.

What an absolutely wonderful labour of love this was. Perfect resolution. And that ending was beautiful.

Also, man that
DHP
stuff was perfection. He's now stolen all three productions. Somehow was even better than the ludicrous cold open in Season 1.

I guess whoever has those rights wants more money than Netflix is willing to pay. Sucks because I wanted to watch it again before starting this.

Top Bottom